Why do scanlators like drama so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

blackwingscans.blogspot.com/
benkyo.co/iikanji/
translate.google.com/#auto/en/誤魔化す
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is all they have.

why the fuck do scanlators have such a fucked up sense of copyright lmao

like translating something into english is work, but manga aggregators like kissmanga that make it possible for all manga to be accessible from one location don't do any work?

e-pen

/thread

Because their audience doesn't give them as much praise, gratitude, and general attention as they feel they deserve. To be fair, it's not entirely unwarranted given how little most people understand about the scanlation process. People only ever thank you for translations but never appreciate how things like cleaning, redrawing, and typesetting take far more work.

That disconnect between the audience and the scanlator is what causes the drama.

fpbp

If they didn't do it, someone else would. There's an endless number of people who can translate from Jap to English, and plenty of them would do it for the tiny amount of fame it gets them.

>stop stealing my stolen shit

Because many of them do it for the attention.
Then when they don't get the attention they bitch and moan about it.

/thread

Because if you put in a lot of time helping other people it's nice to be appreciated. And because the vast majority of scanlators are manchildren with the emotional maturity of a pregnant, teenage woman.

Everyone wants them to keep scanlating though, no one wins if they quit working for free.

>There's an endless number of people who can translate from Jap to English
I wish they worked on all of my favorite untranslated manga.

/thread

It's all about this.

pirate sites would probably start doing their own scanlations in order to have the chapters up a few hours faster than other sites. this shit is ridiculously profitable.

They're starved for attention.

This isn't Sup Forums take your e-celeb Twittershit drama back to where you came from

Sage

>stealing 3-gatsu from me

Remember when Aereus got butthurt that someone translated the Boku Girl side chapter instead of him so he threw a fit and quit translating it altogether?

And to this day the final chapter remains untranslated.

Do I read this bottom to top?

Same goes for the jannies, but you don't see one tear shed for them

>implying the janitors do anything beneficial

If you only do it for praise, gratitude, and general attention then you choose wrong hobby m8

If you did something solely for appreciation and somebody came and tried to take that away from you you'd be pissed too. It's like being a Sup Forums janitor and one day Hiro messages you and says "we got someone new faggo you're no longer needed here." You put in all that work for nothing.

Is it? Dump it somewhere and surely someone will translate it.

People become moderators to get the feeling of exerting power onto others. Completely different from doing something universally beneficial like translating.

Well yeah. Translation is the most important part. You can read an uncleaned raw if you've got a text translation for each page.

They want people to suck their dick. That's why they don't want their releases redistributed. People on aggregate sites don't suck their dick. That's why they don't want other people to pick up series that they're doing. People that read other translations don't suck their dick. And then there's also the ones that try to make money off the whole thing, those are usually the ones that plaster giant watermarks everywhere. As if their name is more important than the author's.

autism

Or you know they don't want strangers profiting off what they've doen

>manga aggregators like kissmanga that make it possible for all manga to be accessible from one location don't do any work
Those sites do it for the money from ads, baka.
Translators normally don't get paid so they think they deserve respect and shit like that.

They literally translate chink comics all day everyday, they have nothing else

>they stole muh translation!

it's illegal to share manga scans

>please donate so i can keep translating

>they don't want strangers to profit off of their own profiteering from other people's work
Are you daft?

Yes, there is no difference between profiting off your own work and having someone else profiting off your work

Hypocritical. Maybe they should consider how the magaka doesn't want them to pirate their shit either. Scanlation is piracy, so its absurd to care if someone else distributes something you've already stolen.

Sup Forums should just start learning Japanese. Once you know around 500 characters, you get a good idea of what's being said, and you will be able to identify stroke orders for characters you don't know which makes it possible to look them up online without losing much time.

Besides using google translate for words/sentence structures I don't understand, it's a pretty effective way to read manga that doesn't get any attention from translators.

Sometimes I wonder if these people are even fans. Don't they want people to read manga that they also enjoy?

>m-my mom is sick and I have to take care of her

What you are saying is obvious and full of common sense, but not for everyone and that is sad.

define 'work', because i'd argue that it's harder to write crawlers to download manga from a wide variety of scanlation sites than it is to translate a few pieces of text into english from japanese.

as for 'profiting off of other peoples' works', translators do just that when they ask for donations. they weren't given the rights to translate.

Just 500?

3gatsu deserves a better translator than a little bitch like him.

>tfw anonymous translatorfag on Sup Forums
>tfw find my stuff reposted on reedit and Tumblr but never complain

I can read raws if I really want to expend the effort, but there is still a ton of kanji I don't understand and constantly using a dictionary breaks immersion. So I'd rather read a translation.

Not all scanners are like that, for every Reddit-tier drama queen there are ten based scanlators quietly doing their work so others could enjoy it. Look at the guy running Habanero, he brought back or finished several dozen manga from the grave and scans a ton of ancient manga that people didn't even know existed and will probably never read

Anonymous translators are best translators. Sasuga fag-sama.

>translating shit only because you want attention
Autism.

Yeah and they guy who did it even said, 'This has been out for a while and Aereus never did it so I'll take care of it'

Aereus was such a bitch. He would just disappear for months at a time with no explanation and expected nobody else to pick it up. I'm surprised he went as long as he did without anyone else translating.

But you want people to read your work, isnt that the point?

Most tripfags have brain problems, even the ones that contribute manga tl

fpbp

If you're going to translate, do it for the right reasons; giving back to the community that gave so much to you. Take that epeen and literally fuck yourself with it otherwise.

dunno fansub drama is worse since there's fewer sub groups. not to mention scanlation doesn't have a cartel

It's actually like 4 chapters that are left untranslated not just 1

>i'd argue that it's harder to write crawlers to download manga from a wide variety of scanlation sites than it is to translate a few pieces of text into english from japanese.
I am a software engineer and proficient in Japanese. Both types of work come with their challenges. Writing a crawler is far from being rocket science.

I respect novel translators a lot and don't think their work is easier than mine.

>someone ""stealing"" their project

Kind of like someone stealing a franchise, dumb edgeposter.

>Apr 18

Why do people like to shitpost old scanlator drama? If you want a mad scanlator thread, you should post old Prozess rants, that shit was epic.

The cartel is dead, and the only real victim was doki maybe. Fansub drama was never as bad as the manga scene I think.

Just be glad PROzess isn't still shitting on the entire scene.

>500 characters
笑 no

Are there other funny drama that I could dig up to laugh at?

Daiz got super butthurt once for an entire 3 or 4 months because of a joke subgroup that just puts memes in their subs instead of actual translations. He tried to get them banned on nyaa but the admin unbanned them so he got even angrier.

The whole dibs thing is cancer that leaves manga to collect dust with certain groups.

Here you go. Better get coffee for this one.

blackwingscans.blogspot.com/

Not what I meant, but whatever.

I'm glad he doesn't post anymore, faggots even made a meme about him

I used to do translation from english to spanish for some time. It was nice to see some of my translation being used for jiggles.
Then some faggots started to get mad for translating their "projects", even after asking for permission. It was stupid, so I sometimes would translate them just to make them rage. good times.

To be fair if it wasn't for the drama I would have never picked up Nozoki Ana.

Did they have an alternate track? Meme subs alone should be banned under the trollsubs rule.

You're fucking retarded if you support chinese ad-laden malware-spreading sites like mangafox or kissmanga over batoto where all the fucking scanlators upload their own work to

You have the choice between
-page the people who do it for free trust
-chinese who steal the work of others, get rich off of it and infest your pc for free for free made

and you choose the chinese?

Seriously?

>You put in all that work for nothing.
Theoretically, you put in all that work so people would read it. Wouldn't you be happy it was "stolen"? Speaking as a scanlator, I don't give a shit if people "take" my work unless they're going to slap watermarks all over it or downscale. I want the manga to be read in as high a quality as possible and spread around. The conflict here comes from the fact that he's only doing it for appreciation, in which case you should pick up a hobby in which you create your own things instead of touch up someone elses.

benkyo.co/iikanji/
~55% is more than enough to get an idea of what's going on through context from images and other accompanying text. manga isn't shakespeare and nip speak has very simple grammatical structures. you'll end up recognizing a lot more than 500 if you keep reading manga, even if you don't give a shit about learning any more due to how frequently they appear.

No they used nyaa which made it even funnier. They even altered the file extension of their releases and said that they made a file format better than 10bit even though it was just a renamed mp4, which made Daiz blow a fuse.

>edgeposter
What kind of retard are you

Batoto has a smaller selection of manga and I use adblock on both my phone and my computers.

>why would you go to a supermarket when you can go to 10 different stores to get your groceries instead?

>You're fucking retarded if you support chinese ad-laden malware-spreading sites like mangafox or kissmanga over batoto where all the fucking scanlators upload their own work to
Is this a meme or something?

I knew Prozess was autistic, but not THIS autistic

By your logic, you should know what 誤魔化す means because you know 500 characters.

The reality is, with your method, you'll think it means something awkward like "change into a mistake demon" when it actually just means "to deceive"

You have not watched that show. Lucky, honestly.

>batoto
The place run by people who remove manga that hurts their feelings. Maybe they could have been great, but they are trash.

The only difference between those sites and Redditoto is lack of watermarks in the latter. Also, manga fox is just a wasteland now because literally every series is licensed and therefore unavailable.

translate.google.com/#auto/en/誤魔化す

I can also use jisho. Machine translations are extremely efficient when translating individual words at a time.

Some teenager on the mangafox forums argued with him and won and he nuked fucking everything.

It was kind of shitty at the time because he was releasing so much Nozoki Ana chapters. He relased like 30 chapters in a few weeks.

Was it batoto that went full retard with .apng?

I choose the one that doesn't force me to make just another useless account.

I'll also add that if I'm unfamiliar with an awkwardly phrased sentence, I have the freedom to rewrite the sentence to make it easier for the machine translation.

Yeah it's impressive that you know a lot of Japanese, but for the purposes of reading Manga you don't need fluency.

>Bitching about fundamentals of the internet
>On the internet
>but never appreciate how things like cleaning, redrawing, and typesetting take far more work.
As someone who does that shit all the time, it takes times, a lot of fucking time, which is probably part of the frustration
Pirate sites are just aggregators, it's individuals, like the dude in op, that 'do' things.

As a translator and native speaker myself, I can say that his translating work on its own is quite decent. Too bad it's attached to an overinflated ego.

That's what you get for not knowing Japanese. Suck it up.

>programmers don't do anything, it's computers that 'do' things

>Remfag
Get out

>hating on best girl
:thinking:

>3-5 hours a day for 4 months

I'd have finished in in 5 days top, fucking bitch.

>study japanese in university
>work as an english teacher in japan for minimum wage and no hope for career progression
>come back to the us by my mid 30s and translate manga to earn the respect of teenagers on the internet

Batoto has fuck all left on it.
Every time I used it to read a complete manga it would be deleted before I finished and I would have to find somewhere else.

We need some original ones.

If what you're saying is "learn 500 characters then you can understand some stuff and use a dictionary for the rest" then my answer is "OBVIOUSLY". No duh, yeah, you can use a dictionary for words you don't know. Wanna know something? You could do that without knowing ANY words as long as you had an inkling of grammar.

Your method of "characters" works for words with only one kanji, but once you get into compound words (i.e. words with more than one kanji) then it's over, you lose.