Character says 嬉しい

>character says 嬉しい
>it gets translated as this
Is this what you killed fansubbing for, Daiz?

It could be a perfectly fine translation with the right context. I don't know though because I dropped this.

rub a dub dub thanks for the grub

>creative translations that fit the character's personality are bad
When will this meme die?

Is Daiz dead?

what's a tikle pink? I mean what does that literally mean?

>retconning the author's script with your own original ideas is good
When will Commie's spirit die?

Daiz Nyaa Fakku 8bit 10bit

>creative translations
The real McCoy right here

Would you tickle her pink?

What does this even mean ? Is she wet or something ?

>rape

It's literally impossible to translate from Japanese 1:1. You have to make creative decisions at some point.

Her nipples are erect

>I want bland and spiritless scripts that translate too literally and fail to fully make use of the creative power of English

Except that 'I'm glad' was translated to 'I'm tickled pink'

I haven't watched JoJo but how did they translate Urepii ?

Indeed, using "I'm glad" instead of a strange term that not everyone might know is impossible after all. The same goes to correcting the author's script by forcing puns and expressions related to the setting.

>knows Japanese
>still watches subs like a peasant
Why do you even care man, just let them pley in the mud.

No one is going to get this

>It's literally impossible to translate from Japanese
Yeah, there's no such thing as "I'm glad" in English

If "creative power" means throwing uncommon phrases like that for no reason, then I'll pass. It sounds like someone's failed attempt at writing natural sounding dialogue.

I want her to say this to my duck.

I have never heard anyone use high heaven in actual speech. It has always been in TV shows and movies by an actor pretending to be southern.

But everyone says "my sides" in casual conversation after all

Me and my friends do.

Its an angel pun you fuckwit.

Commie and Daiz are the cancer killing fansubs and accurate translations that's more literal than liberial shit.

Are you feeling it now Mr. Krabs?

You summoned thy who shall not be named already.

Japs and English people normally use "my stomach hurts" to describe laughing too much 腹が痛い

One that isn't present in the source material.

Haha....

>that fit the character's personality
The personality that the fansubber invented. She doesn't talk any differently than the other girls, but her speech in the subs is noticeably different.

So? It's not like this is fucking Shakespeare.

It's not your fanfiction either.

all those meme translators have been hired for a potato sack by CR

Jesus Christ this thread is awful, literally neo Sup Forums in a nutshell "baiting" each other with entry level shitposting.

Just nuke the whole place already.

CR insiders are reporting layoffs of translators and editors

first I've even heard of this expression

preach girl, keep educating us neo Sup Forums lowlifes.

Me too, but I didn't pay attention to the subs since ureshii is such common if you don't know what it means, then you won't be able to even open the portal to Gensokyo.
ETL here.

Fancy British slang is pretty fitting for a character like her, though.

Japanese is an extremely contextual language. In addition there are levels of speech patterns from direct to super polite, from out group to in group, personal and abstract. All of that comes together to make something extremely difficult to translate without the use of translation notes or something.

A translator must decide when to translate directly and when to take liberties. A literal translation is impossible.

Even a simple word like 嬉しい requires thought to translate.

Besides the fact that 'I'm tickled pink' literally means 'I'm excited' 'delighted' 'ecstatic' 'overjoyed' etc. So it remains a valid translation even if you don't like it.

Your face gets flushed when tickled and start laughing, I suppose.

While it means the exact same thing, there's no need to go grab an expression out of who knows where when a simple "I'm glad" wouldn't have let a single room for complaints, while perfectly conveying the meaning of what she said. Who gives a fuck about what the subber thinks a character should be like, said everything that needs to be said. Taking too many liberties in localization is more likely to harm the tone of a show than to help people understand it better, and might also cause people to misattribute characteristics to its cast.

The whole episode was filled with nonsensical puns and idioms. I think they outsourced the translation to Commie.

>implying sanctity of works

I would say that the script an author who managed to get his work adapted into animated Taiwanese tapestry made is much more important than whatever some random person who finds themselves to be all high and mighty rote up while changing all of their characters, but maybe that's just me.

I live in the american south and I hear this often.

Nothing you do will ever let you see that script because that's how linguistics works. No matter what you're getting "someone's fanfiction" as you would put it. All you're doing when you say this is a better translation is supplanting your own "fanfiction"

It's just one example out of many.
>get it guys they're angels and demons so we must force heaven and hell puns into everything they say!

Kill yourself, commie apologist.

Linguistics don't say that you need to change what characters say to fit what you want the audience to perceive they're like when doing simple translations would convey everything perfectly, especially if those characters don't have any peculiarity at all in how they speak and you're only adding your fluff because you think it would "fit better".

Subs are best as plain as possible. Leave the fancying shit up for dub-watching retards. There are few things more irksome than thinking "that's not what he said you fucking faggot subbers" two or three times an episode.

Except it's not a valid translation because no one says that.

English is not my mother tongue and that shit would've gone over my head if I used subs as my main source of understanding. Never even heard that term and it sounds damn stupid anyway. Like the rub a dub shit

>fail to fully make use of the creative power of English
You know there is this thing called literature, people who want to exercise the utmost of their language's creative power should write books, not fansubs.

a simple translation is still nothing but an interpretation, it's just flavourless, it's no closer to the original because of that.

A flavorless interpretation that can be easily understood by many is much more efficient than a flavorful interpretation that's only understood by a few.

>Japanese is an extremely contextual language. In addition there are levels of speech patterns from direct to super polite, from out group to in group, personal and abstract. All of that comes together to make something extremely difficult to translate without the use of translation notes or something.

>satan wearing star of david pin

What did Japan mean by this?

Honestly, what ureshii translates to depends on the personality type, speech patterns, location/time period, etc. You know, actual translation instead of parrot transliteration.

Its possible for it to be taken too far, but knee-jerk griping in favor of literalism shows you know shit about translation.

Before that line there wasn't anything (it cut from another scene), and after it there was this. I don't see how "I'm tickled pink" fits better than literally any other variation of "I'm glad".

I guess we should avoid the use of all language that isn't simple then?

It's probably supposed to be a pentagram. Probably.

I believe it was in an interview with the English translator for one of the Murakami novels and several other influential Japanese works, he said:

When you read anything translated from another language, you are essentially reading that translator/their interpretation of the work. One cannot literally translate one language to another, so in essence the translator's "voice" carries over into the work. You strive to stay as faithful to the work as possible, but in many cases you are making creative decisions based on your perception of the characters, setting, etc.

Thats not exactly what he said, but essentially was the gist of it as best I can remember.

Its clearly not a pentagram

THE JAPS KNOW. SHUT IT DOWN.

That they dont know shit about religion as usual

It's basically true, if you want you can get into even more crazy levels.

Just kill me!

They knew enough to get the St. Peter's cross right

Yeah I'm saying the artists don't know or don't care enough about the difference between the two

Raphiel is two-faced and feigns being a "pure-hearted innocent lady" type. While the chosen phrase would vary from person to person, "tickled pink" does still fit her act. Personally I would probably have used "That would be wonderful."

True, which is why fansubbers should have some fucking humility and understand that they need to suppress their amateur 'voices' as much as possible, they are not improving on the script by taking excessive liberties.

Kindly stop shilling

Translators love to take their liberties, to leave their mark
Good thing I know some japanese

>to leave their mark
Shitting on the turf also leaves mark so they may want to try that as well

Metal gear solid would have been shit if Blaustien didn't go ham on the script. You're translating pop cultural, commercial crap, not serious works. You do whatever makes the product better.

I find it funny how I know what ureshii means but I have no idea what "tikled pink" meant, so I just went with context.

First of all, you're crazy and that's a horrible and that's a crazy attitude to take towards creative work. Second, I guarantee you that any adult native English speaker knows what "tickled pink" means.

commie doesn't count

You know, with the advent of soft-subs, you think that subbers would just include two sub tracks (localized, translated).

just learn japanese so you don't have to have subs stupid

>Besides the fact that 'I'm tickled pink' literally means 'I'm excited' 'delighted' 'ecstatic' 'overjoyed' etc.
So why not using that then?

>I'm delighted
Feels way more in-character to her than
>I'm tickled pink

The problem in this case is that since she said nothing other than a simple "ureshii" followed by that line, making what she said that much more fancy is basically just adding more character to her, in that scene, than what the author intended to do. Yeah, everyone knows that she's a two-faced bitch, and everyone knows the cast has both angels and devils, but that isn't an excuse for someone to make everything she says sickeningly cute or to cram in as many heaven/hell references into everyone's lines as possible, simply because none of that was present in the work in first place.
I have the same gripe against those cases where subbers add as many cat puns as humanly pawssible into everything a cat character says, when the only thing they do to show they have a peculiar speech pattern is a "nya" after most of their sentences. They're just meowing for fuck's sake, they aren't supposed to be masters of jokes.

In English we don't usually just state "I'm glad" in conversation like that, though. If we say "I'm glad", it will be in a broader context like:
>I'm glad you agree.
>I'm glad you came.
>I'm glad that you finally decided to shut up.

You may see "I'm glad!" written in isolation where you can add an exclamation point for clarity, but in speech, it has a tendency to come off as sarcastic, brusque or confusing.

But we don't pay for CR so they can do whatever they want

That screenshot is from Horrible-Subs aka not fansubs. While CR used fansub-converts early on for subbing, AFAIK they've used professional translators for a number of years now.

WRONG

>You do whatever makes the product better.
But 99.9% of the time they make it worse, and that is exactly what I mean by having humility. They need to assume that they are not better script writers than whoever wrote it to begin with and keep it as simple as possible without attempting to add 'personality' to the dialogue, because getting it wrong is far worse than a bland/dry translation.

Japanese isn't like English stop trying to treat it as if it's just English but with different words, the language is structured and built entirely differently. You can't just go to a dictionary and pick the words out and transliterate.

ok bud.

i'm telling you guys this argument is pointless because if you aren't multilingual in the first place you deserve it

You need a much better reason for learning Japanese than that.
Untranslated eroge, now that's a real reason.

I didn't know what tickled pink was until today.

>Wow, I'm so happy!
>I never expected you to suggest we walk home together, Vigne-san.
There. Same meaning, adapts the "waah!" she said just before the "ureshii desu" as well, and flows much better than TICKLE ME PINK.

Did Diaz do ikamusume's "squidding" and GoPri Precure's "Bojour"?

If so he's more horrific than i though.

It's not a matter of taking that one singular phrase or scene. Its based on knowledge of the overall character and how they act. It also stems from English being a far more descriptive language than Japanese. In that specific case it can also be the tone with which she says the word, etc. There are a lot of factors one combines when translating.

I know everyone has their own preferences, but do understand that its exactly that—your own preference—and not anything inherently faulty with the translation. People try to raise up Japanese or the original script as holy and inviolate, but thats just not how Japanese nor translation works.

this is actually true that would make you want to learn reading/writing proficiently
otherwise you just learn the spoken language and cut corners in the reading and writing department if all you want is to understand anime and then your perception of the language is also warped