Legends of the Galactic Heroes

So what's Sup Forums's thoughts on Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Because I love it. But no one in my real life is as into it as I am, so I have no one to talk to about it.

So tell me what you think of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3FupCih2fAY&t=1156
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>no one in my real life is as into it as I am, so I have no one to talk to about it.
Faggot.

There's that classic Sup Forums hospitality I've heard so much about.

faggot

Got any other invectives that you can muster other than "faggot"?

dildo

I liked it

I like it.

That's a really dumb scene right there

"I was a senior officer for decades but never realized our authoritarian political system makes any mistakes ever, guess I will decide my life was wasted after a minute of denial"
Unrealistic

So what's everybody's thoughts on Ruenthal's rebellion in the fourth season? The first time I watched it, I thought that it was a little weaker than the events of the third season, as it was an easily avoided tradgedy. But when I watched the series for the second time, I realized that it was the authors way of showing the intrinsic weaknesses of Autocracy as a form of government. Since the author showed the downfall of the Democratic Republic of the Free Planets Alliance, it could easily appear to a casual viewer that the author was in favor of an autocratic form of government. Which is why the events of the fourth season are important to the overall story. It shows how when an autocratic form of government defeats its external opponents, it's liable to fall into in-fighting.

By that I mean, when your entire government is headed by a strong man, who got the position by usurping the title from the previous autocrat, it legitimizes taking power by usurpation. Which, while it makes for an exciting setting for a story, would be a horribly unreliable form of government. How could you make long term plans when you don't know who could take over the throne at any moment?

So with that in mind, Ruenthal's rebellion makes more sense in context, and adds another layer of depth to the plot. It's not just the personal tragedy of watching Ruenthal and Mittermeyer's friendship end over political squabbles, it's watching what the main characters have worked so hard to accomplish being thrown away for personal glory.

Anyways, that's my thoughts on that part of the show.

It's an edit.

Well you'd be surprised what decades of propaganda and confirmation bias would do to a guy. Lennekampt seemed like a by-the-books military guy who was just chugging along in his hierarchy. Not the type to think about such things unless prompted by another.

what episode is that again? I'd like to see the rest of the context for it before I comment on it.

However, as much as I like Mittermeyer on a personal level, the man is a high ranking officer in an autocratic government. He's never drank the water of Republican Democracy, so it's not that surprising that he would think this way. That's not to excuse it, just an observation.

Episode 67, here's the scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=3FupCih2fAY&t=1156

thanks

>gotta defend a show I haven't seen just because Sup Forums says I'm supposed to like it

One of my favorite animes.

They put love into both factions and the detail shows.

Also I like how they had civilization collapse and rise several times before the got to the present time of the story.

...what?

Because people are all logical figures in real life?

This show feels so much like a mecha show even though it's not.

Uh, fuck you, I've watched it two times already and am on my way through it a third time. Maybe you should have read my OP? Dipshit.

okay, so I watched that scene, and while I get what you're saying, I think he was just trying to defuse the situation. That lesser admiral was being kind of a jag to the diplomat. The diplomat snarks right back to him and then the lesser admiral tries to shoot him once he's been made a fool of. Mittermeyer rebukes him (proving that he's not okay with shooting people for simple criticisms) and does his best to explain what just happened in a polite way.

Mittermeyer stops the execution because there's no one to boast to, but he's still proud of his soldiers and thinks the FPA is wimpy because they don't overreact like that.

That's his justification for seeing the small Yang fleet as a greater threat than the large FPA fleet.

Interesting thoughts, but I can't comment because I'm still at the end of season 3. Sorry.

I wish it was.

yup edits always bullshit, mittermeyer makes it clear he is against arbitrary executions and says that in context to highlight the loyalty yang has from his troops is equal to the kaiser's own admirals, making him a great enough threat to pursue military intervention

I fucking love Yang but as the show went on it was really tiring for everyone to be mentioning him every other sentence and for every single other admiral besides Bucock in the FPA be utterly incompetent. Most of Yang's crew rarely get a chance to shine or receive decent characterization, even someone like Attenborough might as well be a background character and Frederica often just feels really bland.

>there's no one to boast to
no, he merely stated it that way, his meaning is that it's not an action worthy of boasting (ie. dishonorable) as in he doesn't approve.

furthermore, yang IS a bigger threat than the fpa, the point about the fpa not having such loyalty where soldiers would act so passionately about their commanders demonstrates that.

A gun is a gun. Regardless of whether it's being fired by the FPA (7 loyalty points) or the Yang fleet (10 loyalty points), it's always just as dangerous.

The FPA isn't a smaller threat to the Empire, it just isn't worthy of the Empire's respect because it doesn't have that fanatical loyalty.

it isn't as big a threat because it cannot inspire people to rise against the empire. meanwhile yang and his crew can attract talent and be a beacon of defiance against the empire, lowering the legitimacy of reinhard's rule. meanwhile the alliance prostrates and increases his legitimacy.

you're forgetting the goal is no longer mere dominance on the battlefield through tactical victories. the goal is strategic in nature, to unite the fucking galaxy under his rule. people would prefer reinhard's rule over the incompetent alliance, but they would prefer a yang led republic even more.

>meanwhile the alliance prostrates and increases his legitimacy.
Odets aside, this scene occurs at a time when the FPA isn't prostrating before the Empire, but rather they are marshalling their forces together to fight the Empire again. The FPA is still a big threat. Just, not one that Mittermeyer can respect.

Are the side stories worth watching?

>a threat
>no carriers, no battleships, outnumbered 3 to 1
bewcock's fleet wasn't fighting for the fpa at that point, but the ideal of democracy itself and to help yang. its because of yang they had the resolve to fight at mar-addata

fuck off newfag

>muh sekrit klub
Wew.

it has some dumb arcs but on the whole is good for smaller scale adventures and some later battles

>This. The imperial side had so much more interesting characters. Alliance a shit.

Who am I quoting?

People in the Alliance would actually be fun to hang out with. Unless you're an accomplished military hero, none of the Empire characters will even look you in the eye.

>relationships in the Empire are based on fear and """respect"""
>everybody has to walk on eggshells around the Kaiser, even his closest """""friends"""""
>relationships in the Alliance are based on love and friendship
>anybody can say what they want to Yang, and he'll take it with a smile
Liberty stands for freedom!

>thoughts on Legend of the Galactic Heroes

>-Visually underwhelming
>-Audio-wise contributes nothing original but uses established classical music paired on top with generic scenes you'd expect them to go well with in the first place
>-Direction-wise not very tight and has the pace of an asthmatic ant
>-Has just as much stereotypical and cliche bullshit other anime does
>-MIRACLE YANG wins because MIRACLE YANG
>-Emulates 'Naval warfare' in space largely ignoring the extra planes of space (everyone just lines up neatly shooting at each other or runs around in well ordered circles
>-Philosophical and geopolitical dialogue is nothing original nor insightful and the same lines one has heard from teens who think they know it all or have stumbled upon
some profound point by raising it (e.g benevolent dictator or question)