BDs are an archaic media because they don't sell well

>BDs are an archaic media because they don't sell well
The Industry is dying, and it's thanks to idiots like pic related, aka the "fresh talent" of the industry. People like this, so full of bright ideas; he'd have have all physical media distributing ceased, and put in as replacement abysmal streaming services, DRM and all. Forget digital downloads of BD-quality sources to save and do with as you please - no, it'd be like Netshit, Amazon, etc, paying for DRM and bitrate-starved streaming video. Grain? Rescans of older shows? Forget about it: they'll be encoded, grain smugged out, to a nice, even 300MB per episode, the superb quality one can expect from streaming. This is the future the Industry is headed, and you'll soon be archiving x265 CR re-encodes of x264 CR re-encodes, or worst. Instead of many releases from one BD source to choose from, the only choice that'll exists is between TV- and Web-rips, which will look like shit no matter what. Streaming was a mistake. People, even those working in the Industry, no longer appreciated what makes anime as a medium art. It's all consumerism and merchandise from here on out.

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.com/kr/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't give shit as long as panda and nyaa isn't down.

>verified
Are we twitter now? What a joke.

Stop drama-mongering, faggot.

>Being this assblasted that your favorite studio will never do this

So long as BDs sell, they will be made.
What Tattun™ is saying is that it isn't what the industry is relying on for their real profits any longer.

I have no idea what you're saying, but isn't that Tattun guy just a social media guy? Who cares what he has to say about the industry?

How many blog subs do I need before I can apply for a verified pass account?

>favorite studio
Why are you bringing up studio wars? There's a board for that, and it isn't Sup Forums.

mods are trying to save face from ((((((((((accidentally)))))))))) banning him last week. Of course the easiest way would be to appeal to the reddit majority here.

Sup Forums is the other way, kid.

>((((((((((
Stop that.

sorry

Yeah, I can't say I like this much. Just fucking let him post with a normal trip, like Mamare and everyone else who has a need to keep their identity verified. You prove it once, keep using the tripcode afterward, and that's it.

>Ban advertising social media poobah for advertising
>Sup Forums throws a shitstorm
>Reinstate it and let him advertise and shitpost all over Sup Forums
Why are our mods retarded? They should have just rangebanned the shilling retard.

I like how you think it's impossible to have digital downloads that produce better quality than BDs, and that you assume all JP BDs are even decent to begin with

Don't expect much from these new mods.

>having industry people come talk here is "reddit pandering" and other bullshit
I don't know if you're doing this to fulfill your daily quota of contrarianism or if you're just a fucking newfag trying to fit in, but you guys are pathetic.

Maybe if he could figure out how to use a fucking tripcode and keep using the same one.

This. but then again, the new mods probably weren't even around when that was a thing.

redditfags bring the ad revenue, hiro is loving it.

what's wrong with JP BDs?

>industry people
user, why are you falling for this shitty advertisement crap? This wasn't someone from the industry it was a social media middleman with an advertising degree who runs a twitter account or some other menial shit for the studio, they don't have anything to do with the people who work on anime, the people who produce anime, or the original manga authors, they are not part of "The Industry" they exist to go around the internet and get suckers like you to advertise for their employers. We have had people from the industry come to Sup Forums before, directors and mangaka even, this was just another shill like every man idiot who starts a fakku or CR thread.

Social media guy from fucking Trigger of all places

VS

Actual anime producer

Who do you trust more?

There's literally nothing wrong with him being here. Giving him special treatment is a separate matter. As I said, Mamare did fine without one. Vale and that other Pony Canyon fag do fine without one. Derringer on /m/ does fine without one. We don't need this Verified account shit.

If he's retarded, that's no one's fault except his.

If the BD itself is bad, then so is the source that streaming distributers are given. Which is than encoded to even worst quality.

Newfags suddenly forgetting when AotS or Andrew WK posted.

Do you even need to ask?

He's not even verified. fucking newfag

>The Industry is dying
Is it though? I'm pretty sure anime/manga contributes significantly to Japan's economy.

hurrrrrr im too new and retarded to know about capcodes and get triggered because "verified" sounds like something from twitter

>I-I'm fitting in yet?

Custom capcodes aren't a new thing by any leap of the imagination.

>AotS
Don't know who that is, at least not off the top of my head.
>Andrew WK
Not a Sup Forums fag myself.

They got this special verified shit? It looked newly made, considering how the icon didn't work.

I'm not the one whining about capcodes that have existed since ever, greentexter.

No Reddit, you aren't. Try a little less harder.

>PR guy from fucking trigger
Opinion discarded.

It didn't say "Verified" but they did get custom capcodes when they posted on their own stickies a long ass time ago.

I refuse to buy music, games, and shows digitally. If there is something I want to listen to or watch or play and there isn't a physical edition then I just pirate it.
This switch to digital only and everyone embracing it are cancerous and need to be wiped out. If you're going to buy something you might as well actually get something for it and buy a physical copy. If you only buy digitally you are paying for literally nothing.

>optical media
>not archaic

It's worse when it comes with DRM and a lot of bullshit terms (i.e. Steam).

Sometimes the people mastering them are bad, and of course there's all the re-releases of SD shows with QTEC. There's also the rare example of better companies outside of Japan doing a better job, like whoever did the Italian BDs for Madoka.

The software rights don't matter?
So you are okay with spending 50 dollars for a thin slice of plastic?

>implying BDs and CDs don't come with DRM

Just pirate the shit. Only pirates can actually own their stuff.

It contributes to its culture. Anime is incredibly niche.

>Kyoanus shitters eternally BTFO
Glorious

>If you only buy digitally you are paying for literally nothing
It's even worst with DRM, as it restricts you from using the data you're paying for. You don't even own it.

moot gave him a custom cap. I think it was ## PARTY HARD or something.

>You don't even own it.
You don't own it either way.

>You don't own it either way.
This, if you are going to pay for something might as well buy a physical copy.

What do you mean?

It's a based gift for such a based man

When you buy a BD with a movie or a game, you are not actually buying the movie or the game.
You are merely buying a data carrier with a copy of that movie or game and the right to use that data in a very specific manner.

The data is not yours.

>Trying to start a studio war.

Please do not make posts such as this.

Flopped shit goes in another thread.

What's going on here?
BD for TV anime costs like fucking truck.
>30k for one show

Lurk more.

I absolutely hate physical media but I dislike low quality streaming shit too. Give me high quality downloads.

Well, every Trigger related thread this season was/is/will be shit.

This is the face of LWA, people.
This is why I'm proud to not watch that trash.
Fuck Imaishi, and fuck his worthless goosesteppers who mindlessly follow him and his little pawns.

Trigger related threads were always shit, the studio attracts a lot of crossboarders.

What?

I hear Yoshinari is shit person and pedo.

To be fair, the studio itself is shit. Its only decent works are friggin' Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer. Everything else is shit.

Anime industry revenue grew 12% in 2016.

When average growth in Japan is below 1%.

>People like this, so full of bright ideas; he'd have have all physical media distributing ceased, and put in as replacement abysmal streaming services, DRM and all.

You're putting words in his mouth there. DRM in general is pushed by publishers, not creators. Steve Jobs published a rant on this and why DRM-free digital distribution is ideal 10 years ago and it's worth a read.
apple.com/kr/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

Consider that Trigger released the original LWA on Youtube and Nicovideo for a short while with no rental or verification settings enabled. There was nothing stopping anyone from saving it. If a better quality platform with widespread adoption was available I'm sure Trigger would be game but in reality it's not the studio's choice how to publish when they don't control the IP like with shows produced and funded by huge committees. What we got from an answer by Tattun the other day is that the publishers push BD over there because they can charge a premium for it as a collectible.

BD as designed is a total clusterfuck of DRM, it only seems convenient because the DRM can be defeated on a PC and it happens to offer the best quality in a widely used format. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

This is mostly thanks to China streaming.

Lurk more. Those prices are nothing special for Sup Forums related stuff.

Yes, but you're not restricted by DRM. I mean, BDs do ship with DRM, and require DRM integration for playback, but there's nothing stopping you from bypassing this and ripping the data for personal use. And really, you get a physical copy, even if just the disc, while streaming DRM prevents you from saving the data from cache, collects user information, uses CPU time not directly pertaining to streaming itself, and so on. When signing up for, say, Netflix, you're in essence paying to trade your data in exchange for streaming (as per their privacy policy). It's sick, because you get nothing in return except a data-collecting "service" in disguise.

In other words, Trigger are just lapdogs with no power over their own shows, unlike KinoAni, am I correct?

>I refuse to buy music, games, and shows digitally.

Honestly, that's a pretty terrible attitude to have when it comes to digital media. Physical formats like Blu-ray suck ass compared to what you could do potentially do with digital releases, and as long as the digital purchase is DRM-free you do actually own it too.

Of course, right now a lot of digital releases suck ass in terms of quality compared to stuff like Blu-rays and are crippled with all kinds of DRM bullshit, but that's just a matter of the potential not being realized.

But if you have this attitude of "never gonna pay for anything digital ever", that certainly isn't going to increase the chances of actually good digital releases happening.

Just pirate it and be done with it.
You can buy a physical copy on top of that if you feel like supporting the creators or having a fancy collection.

>Those prices are nothing special for Sup Forums related stuff.
I know. That's why there is no reason to buy BD.

>Anime is incredibly niche.

Anime industry revenue for fiscal year 2015 was 18 billion $.

Hollywood revenue for the same fiscal year was 38 billion $.

Haw the shit is an industry half the size of Hollywood niche?

Well to be honest there's a lot of things that can be included with a physical copy (BD) of an anime
>Light novels
>Bonus CDs
>Drama CDs
>Event ticket
>Free games
>Artbooks
>Bonus props, like LWA cards for example

Producer was answering questions about anime and industry overall. That's nice and it deserves capcode.
But Tattun is a PR guy. He doesn't draw anime, doesn't write script, doesn't voice characters. His job is to sell shit. He doesn't come here just because he wants to talk with anons. He advertises his show. Please do support us! Please do buy our merchandise! He should have been banned the first time he came here.

I guess mods let it slip because it's really rare occurrence and pretty harmless. The problem is that right now Sup Forums is ready to throw money at him. And if somehow it turns out that pandering to Sup Forums can be profitable for Japanese studios we might get real hidden marketing and shilling in future.

It's in Yen.

How do you improve digital releases ?

Hollywood is niche too?

So what actually happened? Tattun Q&A always was comfy. All shitposters invaded thread or something? Or OP trying hardest?

Stop posting. You need professional help.

Yes

>You're putting words in his mouth there.
It was the logical assumption I extrapolated from his reply. He's put forth his trite opinion despite offering no alternative to the quality BDs have to offer. He has nothing to say except making it clear he doesn't know what he's talking about, e.g. calling BDs "archaic", when even as a archival solution they're cheaper per GB and offer data integrity beyond mechanical or flash storage.

The issue is that these prices are highway robbery.
>"Hmm... maybe more people would buy our BDs if they were cheaper"
>"We can't test that sir, otakus are already giving us tons of money for these things"

Also, DRM-free digital downloads are arguable even more owned by you than something like a blu-ray disc, where DRM is mandatory by design (you literally can't do mass media releases on BD without including DRM on the discs).

Well, there's two ways, really. One is having people who care about quality in charge of digital distribution at legit companies. The other is massive demand by consumers and them voting with their wallets.

Both are unfortunately quite the moon shots, though at least the former can happen on occasions. Sadly it hasn't happened with any of the players in the English digital anime market.

>verified
Okay, what the hell did I miss?

I feel sorry for your shit taste, user.

He didn't say Dollar.

makes sense for niche
they have lowered prices before and it didn't work

>he'd have have all physical media distributing ceased

DVD/BD sales were always almost meaningless. They are 5% to 10% of TV anime revenue depending on the series. It's like that for over a decade.

>I guess mods let it slip because it's really rare occurrence and pretty harmless.
They unbanned him because anons complained.

Yeah, he sure looks like he's calling the shots at Trigger.

They did test it.
The sales didn't improve.
Lurk more.

Dude I was ready to throw money at them since the kickstarter.

I got what I wanted, and I don't regret it.

If BDs with bonus stuff ever reaches my country I will buy them on a whim.

I liked Gainax, I love TRIGGER and I love their whimsy stuff, I don't mind being part of a commercial spoof if I get a good laugh in the end. This shit was cool dude.

That chart is for super popular and daytime anime, not for niche stuff like LWA. See for late night anime standards.

>The problem is that right now Sup Forums is ready to throw money at him

It's their money, user. Besides why do you care? An idiot and his money are soon parted.

>Sadly it hasn't happened with any of the players in the English digital anime market.

Why not?

>Hollywood is niche
This, Hollywood is World Cup tier.

Because a board full of shills behaves differently from a board without advertisement.

user, more people won't buy it if it's cheaper. It's just not true.

Second season of Game of Thrones made 40 million $ with BD/DVD sales.

Madoka made 30 million $ with BD/DVD sales.

Lowering the price won't increase the profit. Only hardcore fans buy those in the first place. Most people don't give a shit and will just stream.