Why is it that the literary quality of LN/WNs are categorically worse than Manga...

Why is it that the literary quality of LN/WNs are categorically worse than Manga? You pretty much have to imagine what the story would be if it were written better.

>WNs
WNs are literally self-published internet stories, user. I think we all know why those are shit.

Pretty much. The bar is just a lot lower for entry. Manga at least requires you spend some time learning to draw instead of just making fanfiction. There are plenty of good ones out there though if you are willing to spend time wading through them though.

The difference in quality is negligible.

> Manga at least requires you spend some time learning to draw instead of just making fanfiction
You also have to persuade someone to publish you in most circumstances.

Self-published Manga also exist.

That's why I said "most." Also, non-parody doujinshi barely get scanlated.

What they said. Text is dirt cheap. Drawn art is expensive. You need a whole team of artists working on it, otherwise you're facing webcomic speeds of maybe two pages a week. Art also takes up more pages than text, so that increases printing and shipping costs.

The cheaper it is, the lower the barrier to entry, and the more publishers are willing to make a gamble on some new guy's crazy new genre mashup hitting it big. The more expensive it is, the more conservative publishers are about investing big money on a new series and the faster they pull the plug when something is under performing.

There's also the fact that "LN" is defined by some unclear combination of ease-of-writing and marketing bullshit, while "manga" is just "any Japanese comic." So LNs being worse on average is probably partially due to a lot of would-be "good LNs" not being LNs, just because of publisher decisions.

>The bar is just a lot lower for entry
I beg to differ.

In past you at least needed to win a contest or something to secure a publishing deal. Now you just need to have a shitload of clicks on your webfic.

For some reason it's mostly the generic wish fulfilment stuff that gets picked up for translations and anime adaptation. EOPs only really ever get to see the mediocre stuff.

Would you follow this republican?

What untranslated stuff is actually good?

Saihate no Paladin Vol1 got translated and I think that one is pretty good but for some reason nobody ever mentions it in these threads.

because translator dropped it after vol1 and translating skeleton isekai garbage instead?

What are you talking about? It got officially picked up by J-Novel club and the first LN vol has been out for sometime now.

i like that the whole war is pretty much habsburg-ottoman wars

>crescent alliance vs cross alliance
>turks as the demons with strong power but lots of in fighting
>also netherlands working together with turks "liever turks den paaps"

Also the translation is okeyish but certainly above the hordes of MTL garbage which this scene is full off.

I'm not going to go defend the writing of WNs in general but when there are like more than half of those WNs translated by people who barely know English and not to mention Jap, you must also consider that you're reading literal edited google translations and a fanfic created from another fanfic.

Wanted to quote OP

im surprised how good this is compared to shit like overlord

recently read release the witch too, is there any more good gook novels like this?

Nothing works, can't find sauce for the life of me.

Also, if you liked RW you might like Realist's Kingdom Reformantion Chronicles.

>Also, if you liked RW you might like Realist's Kingdom Reformantion Chronicles.
Might want to wait a few weeks for the official translation to be released though, if buying a subscription isn't for you. Your brain will thank you for not suffering it to read the WN and its heavily tipped meme-infused fedora.

What's the process of submitting an LN anyways?

Manga usually requires the artist to send a one-shot/pilot chapter in to the publishers, and then there's the whole thing of it going through levels of editors. For rookies at least. It's common knowledge by now.

Does LN's go through that same barrier? Is it easier? Harder? Is the process even that similar? I'm not talking about stuff like Konosuba or Shield Hero or whatever where it was a WN first was published as an LN with alterations.

arent mob psycho and one punch man web novels too?

I think those are decent.

no you imbecile, they are web comics

>Because the author turnover rate is so high, the light novel industry actively encourages submissions from new authors in the form of light novel contests.

>The Dengeki Novel Prize, established in 1994, is easily the most famous of these contests. The contest is held by ASCII Media Works, which is owned by—you guessed it—Kadokawa. It receives thousands of submissions every year and has propelled the career of many popular authors, including Reki Kawahara of Sword Art Online fame.

>Accel World by Reki Kawahara won the 2008 Dengeki Novel Grand Prize

>It is also becoming steadily more popular these days for light novel labels to publish web novels in print form. Web novels are amateur works posted online, and while they may have an unfortunate reputation for being self-indulgent and poorly written, they do benefit from having an existing readership and a wealth of text to draw regular print releases from. The light novel version is often heavily edited and may even feature an altered storyline, which encourages web novel readers to buy the light novel as well. It's a win-win situation.

>Some examples of popular web-novels-turned-light-novels-turned-anime include The irregular at magic high school, Log Horizon, and Re:Zero.

>In sum, grassroots support from readers is another key component of the media mix strategy. While the established authors pull in the most sales, the constant infusion of new blood into the industry is what keeps the dense publishing schedules sustainable.

>Realist's
Still laughing at idol nonsence. Just imagine! Soma and his idolshits gets transported to North Korea, attempts coup with power of nonsence and gets caught and hanged within a single day.

Generating culture is important too, spreading your culture overseas is part of exerting influence and soft power.

Haremshit and Idolshit are parts of their culture by now I guess, it's about how tolerable it is compared to how good the rest of the story is.
And so far, Realist's has handled the haremshit quite well. The idolshit, while cringey, serves an actual purpose as opposed to being pure fanservice.

With Chinesse 'anime' on the rise, how likely is we get an RW adaptation?
Shit is so good that aside from some cringey game references it doesn't feel like something written by an east asian.

There was a time when Constantinople was nearly brought down by riots centered around horse racing of all fucking things so I'm giving the idolshit a pass.

Do you mean how all of the story events resolve too quickly and/or too conveniently to be believable?

And Bellisarius and Narses of all people were sent to quell it.

Still, blue team a best!

Better question is why is that a well known fact, yet they get anime adaptations nonetheless?

Fuck you, green4life

Anime adaptations are part of the media mix strategy, by creating multi media project they can generate synergy between the mediums and each boost sales of the other.