>eye lashes no black

why do so many artists do this?

Aesthetic

>Everyone told me the Rebuilds sucked
>Watched 1.0 and 2.0
>They're actually really fucking good
Why did you lie?

>listening to internet recommendations

I couldn't think of a worse place to take cues from.

I love it, it's my favorite anime, but recently I've been feeling the message is severely hypocritical.
The anime preaches that all you need to do is reach out to others and love yourself and that people will love you back. Well I've been socially invisible because of my depression for most of my life. People don't talk to me, women don't talk to me. If they do, they make sure not to make the same mistake after the first time. Now I'm sure that if you are a fictional character someone will always be waiting for you at the beach, but in real life people will just assume you are a serial killer, or a vampire. I'm trying to move to Israel and join the IDF right now. I don't mind putting my life at risk if I'm doing something good and useful. It is a better existence than trying desperately to find what isn't there, and wasn't ever there in the first place. There are no lonely, passionate women. There's just a bunch of people staring at their phones.

Watch 3.33, then see how disappointing it is.

maybe, it's just possible, that you don't have to agree with every anime's moral.

>(((Israel)))

I want to believe. I want to live in the world where everything turns out all right in the end. Where your will to live and to love influences your reality.

Op, That's true

They are all good movies, they just couldn't possibly match the huge expectations. It's not The Hobbit or anything like that.

Things won't necessarily turn out all right if you just sit on your ass. It's not just about not being a recluse, it's about getting in the goddamn robot even when you don't feel like it.

Mogudan approves

It's the definition of pseudo-intellectual garbage liked by 14 year old kids.

didn't know anyone that liked it as a 14 year old

i used to like it when i was 14 just liked i used to like linkin park and sum 41

Oh, I'm glad that you are now so mature man. Really, these japanese cartoons, what a childish shit amirite?

Oh wait, you are on Sup Forums

didnt watch it till i was 20, though it was bretty good anyway

I think the message is more about not running away from reality and your problems, and instead acknowledging your flaws so you can focus on improving them. Pretending like your problems don't exist doesn't make them go away, it just allows them to fester and overwhelm you in the long run.

Of course, the other main theme of the series is just a general exploration of mankind's collective hedgehog dilemma. How we are both a social species that craves love and affection, yet also a deeply insecure existence that desperately fears rejection. Most human suffering comes from an inability to communicate, and our individuality and isolation is something that is intrinsically part of our existence, despite causing us immense pain. Shinji says in The End of Evangelion sort of what you said, that the message "is just a pretense. A selfish belief. Like some sort of prayer. It can't possibly last forever. Eventually, I'll be betrayed. But I want to see them again, because I know in my heart that my feelings were real."

It's more about acknowledging that you will be rejected and you will suffer because of the ambiguity of human relationships; but avoiding them altogether will only cause you more pain. As Kaworu says to Shinji in episode 24, "I know that keeping people at a distance you avoid a betrayal of your trust, for while you can avoid that pain, you must endure the loneliness. Man cannot be rid of this sadness, because all men are fundamentally alone."

You know, one day you'll grow up and you'll realize that things aren't bad just because they're popular.

>As Kaworu says to Shinji in episode 24, "I know that keeping people at a distance you avoid a betrayal of your trust, for while you can avoid that pain, you must endure the loneliness. Man cannot be rid of this sadness, because all men are fundamentally alone."

Uh... that was actually Kaworu coming onto him

NOT EVERYTHING IS KAWORU TRYING TO FUCK SHINJI

>implying that Kaworu "The Soul of an Alien" Nagisa conforms to the human standard of romantic sexuality

He's basically an alien, who provided Shinji with the one thing he wanted the most: unconditional, pure, selfless love. Kaworu wasn't trying to bone Shinji really, which is why Shinji opened himself up to him. Although there's no doubt that by the end Shinji was attracted to him both romantically and physically.

As I said, I want to believe. I want this to be true.

>Shinji opened himself up to him
lewd

>discussing what the message is

It's art you doofuses. It's not meant to only be interpreted one way.

And I interpreted it in the only way that was relevant to me. Escaping your own prison and finding love and meaning at the end of the tunnel.

>ywn find someone to give you pure unconditional love

While I agree with that to an extent, I think it's pretty clear that Evangelion is trying to convey a specific theme or message. Anno himself stated that he built the series around the idea of "not running away". Of course, the minute details and symbols and philosophical convictions and characters are open to interpretation, but I think the series (and EoE especially) makes it's point pretty well.

1.0 is good, 2.0 is great for battles. 3.0 got all the recessive genes.

It's an unrealistic expectation. Everyone wants to be loved unconditionally, but of course all love is conditional. We are selfish, egotistical beings, and in each of our minds we are the center of our universes. We all want to be loved unconditionally, but that's just not possible; everyone loves for their own selfish reasons, and a healthy relationship (romantic or in general) requires understanding and giving from all involved.

Kaworu is a very deconstruction of this idea. Shinji finally finds someone who, for once in his life, tells him that he is loved and provides him with unconditional affection. In the end, though, Shinji himself is forced to kill the one being who loved him genuinely without asking for anything in return, a symbolic gesture that represents Shinji (literally) crushing his selfish ideals and watching them die in front of him. The death of Kaworu is Shinji being forced to realize that unconditional love is an impossible fantasy.

It's all well and good that you understand Eva, user. But at the end of the day it's little more than pop psychology.

(cont.)

I should also mention that it's not supposed to make Shinji look like a bad person for desperately wanting it. Instead, it's totally understandable why Shinji immediately finds himself attracted to Kaworu. His entire life, he had been deprived of love. His mother, the embodiment of pure selfless love, died when he was young, and he was abandoned by his father shortly thereafter. Even after he begins to open up during his tenure as an EVA pilot, everyone's personal problems and insecurities prevents Shinji from meaningfully connecting with them. Kaworu's role in Eva is pretty complex for a character who appears for around 12-15 minutes of screen-time, but he serves many purposes, both within the context of Eva's narrative as well as it's greater thematic ideas.

I mean, it's depth doesn't really come from it's "psychology". It comes from it's exploration of myriad ideas, philosophical and psychological, from Kierkegaard to Freud. Mostly, the series is interesting in how it incorporates and explores it's various ideas through brilliant direction and strong writing, as well as it's more avant-garde representations of it's ideas.

It's themes are simplistic when taken at face value, but it's depth comes in the way it incorporates several philosophical, spiritual, and psychological concepts, and then explores them with interesting filmmaking techniques.

>Yui
>selfless love
>"Kay, son, I'm leaving you with your doofus dad I think he'll take care of you! Oh wait, he didn't? Well, that's unfortunate. Well, ride your mama boy, don't be a pussy! Yeah, pain and all, but you're a man, right? Hey, I'll absorb you for a month, kay? Hey, I won't move when your friend is being torn apart but wait a sec here we go time to start impact, Shin-chan, let's go, don't forget to scream in horror to her corpse so we can destroy your mind and open your AT field! Atta boy, Shinji!"
>he have a mother as loving as Yui

>ywn have a mother as loving as Yui*
Shit, I'm so fucked up

I didn't mean Yui specifically. I meant the idea of the Mother in psychoanalytic terms, the first existence other than ourselves that we interact with, who provides us with nurturing affection. This idea is extremely prevalent in Evangelion, it has nothing to do with who Yui is as a person or a character.

As a character, Yui's ethics, motivations, etc. are morally ambiguous and open to interpretation. I was talking about Yui in the eyes of Shinji, as she is something totally different to him. As a symbol, she embodies Shinji (and all people, in a sense)'s desperate desire for motherly warmth and affection.

She literally did everything in her power to ensure a good end for the world. She chose Shinji as her pilot, because she knew she couldn't trust anyone else to reject Instrumentality.

Plus she went all mama bear on the angels when he was knocked out.

I know, it's ironic
Yuh had a hard life

>Yui was the daughter of a high-ranking member of SEELE
>tfw she was probably emotionally abused and/or neglected

Which is funny, because the reason she jumped in Unit-01 so early was because she felt that she was going to be killed.

If that kind of blood relation doesn't keep you safe, what else does?

It shows how genocidally committed SEELE were to their mission. That they'd be willing to kill one of their own member's daughter. To be fair, they probably believed their actions were justified since their end-goal was to the (perceived) benefit of humanity, but it really hammers home how ruthless they are, if the brutal slaughter they orchestrate in EoE didn't already.

that is not Aquarion

But outside of her, Gendo, and Fuyutsuki who would've known about her plan? The two men both loved her dearly.

I love Eva, i have seen it 6 times now. But i absolutely despise Eva threads, because 90% of people who post here are retarded and didn't understand the show, so they have flame wars and post memes.

I can't even understand myself, how could I understand the show?

It's ambiguous and the series never really goes into it, but I personally think that the implication is that she openly disagreed with SEELE's ideals and their philosophies, and really didn't like the path they wanted to take humanity. She believed that everyone should be free to choose for themselves how they should live, while SEELE wanted to erase the pain of individuality by merging all of mankind into a single existence. They probably felt that, with her vast intellect and talent and knowledge, she could pose a threat to them if left to her own devices. Ironically, it ended up happening anyway, and Yui basically won in the end, although SEELE seemed to be content with it in the end (if Keel's blissful attitude towards Instrumentality is any indication).

>hot milf offers sex
>he refuses
What the hell is this boys problem?

Really, EVA threads on Sup Forums usually devolve into waifuposting or baitful shitposting in lieu of actually discussing the show and it's themes. I'm actually surprised that this one's been pretty good so far.

What is that toilet doing next to best girl

It gave us this.

Can't be all bad.

He was grieving after one of his friends died and wanted to be comforted in a meaningful way. Instead, since Misato has a ton of issues, she attempted to take advantage of him to ease her own crippling loneliness but tried to guise it with the pretense of 'comfort', since she has no idea how to maintain meaningful relationships without sex.

Some anons tried to migrate to Sup Forums and make threads there. Didn't work out very well

>muh superior western art

So while we're on the subject, I understand that Rebuild is a separate continuity, but can you use the things in it to understand the original series better, or should they just be considered their own thing entirely?

How many times must we go over this

I'd say consider them two entirely different things.

He's a dense as a rock, they're both fucked up, and they're both an emotional wreck. It would've damaged their friendship permanently.

I mean I'd jump on that shit in a heartbeat, but that's me speaking, not a 14-year old neurotic mess who just lost their good friend.

its otaku pandering shit

Tbh I don't know why we even talk about the rebuilds until 4 comes out. We really don't have enough knowledge about the rebuild continuity to discuss it.

We can't even agree if it's supposed to be a sequel or not

Gendo makes his life a living hell, while his mom has been gone for like 10 years. Kaiji and Misato become his new father and mother figures. The woman he subconsciously views as his mom, wants to comfort him with sex (In Misatos defense, she can only understand men through sex, Mostly because she hated her father, but when his dad saved her, she wanted to understand him better, but couldnt because he dead. So she found a man who was most like her father and in the process of trying to understand his father, he fucks that man. So understanding men is forever linked with sex for Misato. And when Shinji is in the lowest point of his life, Misato tries to understand and comfort him in the only way she knows how.). Two very different character developments meet here. Misato trying to comfort shinji with sex, since she doesn't know ant better, and Shinji refusing her, because she has always been his mother figure. Add bad timing and the scene makes 100% sense. The whole thing is a negative electra complex, meeting positive oedipus complex.

Mr. Anno, tell me, why did your magnum opus about rejecting the pathetic escapism of the Otaku lifestyle become appropriated by the very thing it's critiquing, transforming it into an over-commercialized shell of it's former self?

Also, will you sign my Godzilla body pillow?

/thread

Name a better opening than this

youtube.com/watch?v=jYZfeY8Vg0E

You have posted that same crap a million times, always with the same typo.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vfd_4LHzNHY

This is literally the second time i have posted this.

Not ALL the animation was incredible, just the parts you remember. How's the view through those rose-colored glasses?

agree

As someone who literally watched it for the first time Monday, the best parts more than make up for the worst.

Not just the animation either, the art, the direction, the color and placement of objects. Wonderful.

Better than the view from the eyes of a cynical shitposter with nothing to say.

What's the point of even talking to people when you can just copy paste the same thing every time it's in context?

"If all you have to say after watching NGE is something along the lines of '2deep4me', then the irony is that it really is '2deep4u'"

The animation cuts were wonderful and i even tho some of the animation in the talking scenes was limited, the action scenes were always top notch (Notice how the evas are always on-model and detailed). Also, all the long still-frame shots were intentional.

And a bad one if I may say.

I mean, nothing's perfect. Evangelion definitely has it's flaws, especially around episodes 8-14. But it's brilliant moments far outweigh it's failures, and it's still an amazing work of art even with it's flaws. Not saying that it shouldn't be criticized, because it does drag in the middle and some of those episodes (Jet Alone and Magma Diver especially) are pretty terrible, but it can still be great and be flawed. Some of the most interesting works of art are usually the ones that are flawed, but are still incredible in spite of them. After all, Evangelion is a Human Work, and human beings are inherently flawed.

>mistaking practicality for cynicism

He does not want to be Misato's rebound boy after Kaji Died.
I'd say he's smart for avoiding that mess.

>Jet Alone and Magma Diver especially
I have to disagree here. The Jet alone episode was very important because It fleshed out Misatos character and defined her relationship with shinji. This is the episode that was forgotten by all the people who complain that Shinji never banged Misato. This episode defines their relationship as ''family'' in one of the more heartwarming endings that the show has had.

As much fun as it is to fly to the moon and play amongst the stars, I wish Evafags would come back down to Earth and have a realistic and objective opinion about the series.
Also, this thread belongs in

>Jet Alone and Magma Diver especially
Don't forget Magma Diver's successor (gif related)

Oh, I understand why Jet Alone is an important episode, and I love how it develops Shinji and Misato's relationship. I just the latter half of the episode (with Jet Alone running loose and how Shinji and Misato stop it) pretty trite, cliche, and boring, especially in comparison to he episodes both before and after. The character moments are great, even in the worst episodes of EVA.

I actually really like that episode for some reason. Maybe it's just the design of the Angel, or the fact that it's one of the few times in the series we get to see all three pilots working well and engaging with one another.

You fell for a meme but, a god-tier vaporwave anime none the less.
I enjoy Eva to an extent but, with the understanding that is a meme anime.

Well, it did foreshadow Eva unit 01 being a ''mad woman'', Gendo being a scheming dick and the plans to built the MP-eva units.

Overall, this episode had a lot going for it.

Terrible bait.

Post best girl instead.

You're right. It's ultimately important, and I take back calling it "terrible". It's just one of my least favorite episodes, despite having a lot going for it.

Also, I love how fucking pissed Ritsuko gets at the assholes who accuse her of being a "hysterical woman". It serves both as a way to make those guys look like incompetent pricks, and also foreshadows Ritsuko's eventual nervous breakdown as well as the true nature of Unit 01.

I think you mean terrible taste.

Holy shit, that big nigga's voice is powerful. Damn.

Non Non Biyori is a better anime than Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Wow. I know this is bait, but there is so much about this picture that triggers me it's insane.

Also, Evangelion's theme revolves around interpersonal relationships, and it's exploration of sex and sexuality ties into that, as sex is one of the most intricate, confusing, and formative aspects of human intimacy. Shinji is a horny, anxious, confused 14 year old boy living with two extremely attractive females. The fanservice prevalent in the first half of the series is later deconstructed in later episodes and most explicitly critiqued in End of Evangelion.

That episode was great. The fight in the tunnel was hype.

Im willing to give this a try if its not a fucking depressing annoying shit with deep bullshit like everyone says. The only mecha show i have watched is gurren laggan and that shit was fun and dope. Am i in for something similar?

Similar sure.

But it is a very depressing and deep show, like everyone says. You just need to accept that.

However not all episodes are like that. There are quite a few that are upbeat and push the depression and darkness to the side

If you're expecting something similar to gurren lagann you'll be severely disappointed