Dutch or French

I was thinking about spending some time in Europe and have narrowed it down to France or the Netherlands. I want to learn the language before I go, should I learn Dutch or French? And what are some good techniques for learning these languages?

>have narrowed it down to France or the Netherlands.
Netherlands has better cheese.
>I want to learn the language before I go, should I learn Dutch or French?
Not sure how long you want to stay or what your intentions are, but unless you're planning on spending a fairly extended time in the Netherlands or perhaps Flanders, there really isn't any reason to learn Dutch unless you have some kind of personal subjective love for it.. There's 17 million people in this country, some millions more in the Dutch speaking part of Belgium (Flanders), Suriname and a couple of islands in teh Carribean and then you've basically got all Dutch speakers.. French is more versatile I feel, especially if you take Africa into the equasion. There's still a pocket of semi-Dutch speakers in South Afrika, but Afrikaans if fairly distinct from Dutch, unlike the French spoken in Africa.
>And what are some good techniques for learning these languages?
Practice constantly, as with any language... And I think for Both French and Dutch, as a native English speaker: Prepare for spelling that makes absolutely no sense.

>I was thinking about spending some time in Europe

I am not really concerned about the range of the languages, I just want to learn a new language, I want to go to Europe because I've never been and over here I am going through the motions, I'll stay for maybe 5 years. Thanks for the advice!

This is why I do not want to go to Sweden

you speak english and learn the most basic phrases, France and the Netherlands are deprived of any real culture nowadays.

>Netherlands has better cheese.
This is what swamp dwellers actually believe

fuck off! we are full

Is that so? Where is there real culture in Europe? (serious question)

Never planning to go to Belgium, according to your PM your not.

to be honest, it´s not 100% true. rural areas are a okay basically all around, it´s the urban areas that are really bad except for iceland, norway, switzerland, northern and parts of western germany, western austria and the northern end of italy.

but that's unironically true

Bradford

Sort of like America almost, rural areas are still cultural. Thanks!

>This is what steppes dwellers actually believe
Why do people living in a harsh environment tend to be delusional ?

Inb4 gangraped by Muzzies

what age are you? why are you trying to come to Europe anyways? Maybe I can give you some bonus info

Eh, tastes differ I guess. Didn't have that much experience with french cheese, to be honest, mostly dutch - from early age, huge factor.

Also climate isn't really harsh here in Southern Russian Manchuria, anyway.

We are more hospitable but the French countryside is better

I am 26, the real reason why I want to go to Europe is primarily because life is stale here in the US and I really have no future (i.e. no jobs). So I want to go to Europe to get some job experience and come back with a better chance of getting one, also because it is something different and it sounds fun.

We have better public transport

Thanks! I will put these factors into consideration

desu
when it comes to Dutch cheese, i don't have much knowledge either

Roquefort is overrated as fuck.

>amerimutt13
Jesus Christ! How many do you have you in your collection!

you should probably stay clear of university places because everyone there is foreign and you won´t be noticed that much, also there are a lot of sluts in these cities and no real jobs.
maybe live in proximity of studentcities and go there for partying.
eastern europe is out for you´re probably not rich enough.
germanic countries should probably just be vacation places for you, you wouldn´t like living here that much probably.

Quite the few.

You don't really have to learn Dutch to be okay in the Netherlands. i believe we have a higher % of english speakers than Canada

French are snubs they won't speak English at all. Lazy tv also just do french voice overs. really annoyng

Go to France , we don't want you here

Goudse kaas or Old Amsterdam is pretty good, just normie cheeses that are really nice. French are better on the ''special'' cheese though like camembert

I have a masters in architecture, I figured that Eastern Europe is too poor, Germanic countries would be too hostile, and the British Isles would be too bland, that is why I narrowed it down the the Netherlands and France, now thinking of it I do not think there is too many countries not hostile to Americans in Europe.

No country is hostile to Americans per se, just to misbehaving ones, that are the majority of tourists from the US.

>66
Is there even that many, you have to be making this up now.

Yeah, I figured I'd get a lot of that

I want to learn the language of my host country, it is only polite even if I am godawful at it

I like Dutch cheeses with dinner food and French with Wines, cannot really compare, different uses, you know?

I mean I have a grandmother who went to go see her hometown in Europe before she dies, got spit on by random people, yes some Americans can be arrogant, I can agree.

ah well, you can try. Dutch isn't a comfy language to learn.

You can also visit France if you stay in Holland, it's a couple of hours driving. I do it sometimes and i know a lot of French people that do it to get weeds from the coffeeshop

Meh, if you're into blue and/or soft cheeses France has some nice things.. But I prefer my cheese hard, yellow and aged.

Most Dutch people don't either unfortunately. See:
>Goudse kaas or Old Amsterdam is pretty good,

'Goudse kaas' can be anything, as it isn't a protected term and is basically of the most common and popular generic cheese types there is..
>Old Amsterdam
Literally factory made.. It's ok for an industrially produced cheese, mostly because it is genuinely aged.. At the same time, it's a branded product by some large dairy corp (probably part of Unilever or some shit, cba to check) which means you're paying for a gigantic corporate structure rather than cheese when you buy Old Amsterdam...

Go to a market or even a farm if you're lucky enough to have a good one near, and buy a block of real aged ('belegen' or 'oud') 'boerenkaas'.. Literally costs less, and is MUCH better quality and taste. Since 'boerenkaas' IS a protected term, you're paying for traditional craftsmanship, raw milk and the fact that it was actually made on a farm. No bullshit branding there.

good thinking, hostile is the wrong word maybe reserved would be better. consider though that most of Europe is either bluepilled or doesn´t care about politics at all so as an American you should be mostly accepted.

As far as languages go, the obvious choice is Arabic.

Yes, everything is so close together in Europe. I forgot you can get weed at coffeeshops in the Netherlands, you legalized a lot, wow!

aussie girl got killed in croatia few years back. search the nets for news stories. some places do not like anglosphere much. so theres that.

>not going to french flanders
Well, anyway, fuck off, we're full

So this is why the French and the Netherlandese always disagree about this issue. For the French, camembert is an ordinary cheese.

if you are stupid enough to go to shady districts then you can only blame yourself

also, sorry Netherlands but you are maybe in top 5 of European cheese.

the bluepilled is the problem, really, I hope I would never have to deal with, "Americans are all racist because they voted for Drumpf, holding back progress!" Damnit!

>soft and blue

Why always the meme ones? Personally I really feel like those kind of cheeses take the fermentation too far. Some of them can be nice, but I miss that creamy smooth like dairy quality..

I'm really sad I never learned French
I can read it and understand it somewhat but my pronounciation is so awful French would probably laugh at me
my Spanish is good though
she was killed because she ran into some psychos, not because people here hate Australians or Americans, that's bullshit

Is French Flanders special in a certain way? (not sarcastic)

i wish we had it legalized. it's actually illegal but not prosecuted or some weird limbo state.

There is some scandal going on right now, because some government research agency altered the outcomes of their research to please politicians. Some weed report was altered in some ways to please the sitting politicians who don't want to legalize.

The anglosphere is the best sphere.

you will always be the victim to them, as long as you NEVER try arguing with blue Europeans (who are not that many, after all) about politics, you´re in the clear. As I said, most people don´t really care and conversations about America typically go like this: Man they are dumb and shoot each other all the time, lol MC Donalds tastes bad. Trump is scaring me... anyway, what do you do tonight?
Keep political discussions to a minimum with people who clearly are interested in information or debate and you´re safe

It is, we have our own culture, our own language, own food, etc..
We should be our own country desu

Netherlandese xD nice!

How can you have a good Spanish but not a good French pronunciation ?

Bergkas then

>Netherlands has better cheese.

It's the same in France, the industry produces a lot of "traditional" cheeses, so true traditional chesse tend to be only avalaible in public market.

>i wish we had it legalized.
Pls no. I like smoking weed, and if there's one thing I trust the government to fuck up royally it's the cannabis market in this country. It literally cannot exist in it's current form without the illegal supply of the shops. The weed is grown domestically, so any kind of legalisation would also bring regulation, which in turn means the Christian Union and the 'Association for Freedom and Democracy' would utterly destroy the free market and the plurality of choice.
>it's actually illegal but not prosecuted or some weird limbo state.
Which means you can still buy Hash from Afghanistan, Lebanon and Morocco in the shops, and that old ass hippies that don't like modern indoors still get to buy their shitty South East Asian (Thai, Cambodian) or South American (Mexican, Jamaican, Colombian etc) brick weed like they did in the 60s. The current system, in terms of supply, creates this beautiful microcosm of domestic and international illegal supply that is truely unique in the world.

Government bureaucracy gone wrong, you pay so much in taxes they should atleast not make this happen.

do not imagine they are hard to spot, thanks for this info, if it ever comes up I'll dully agree and try and change the subject

I wish you well in your strife

Market or dedicated cheese store is your best bet. The cheese shops in decently sized cities usually also sell some of the traditional certified cheeses from Italy and France.. Regiano Parmagiano, that sort of thing.

>tfw comfy cheeseposting on Sup Forums on sunday afternoon
Best way to spend the day, really.

Spanish has quite different pronunciation, more similar to Serbo-Croatian
also exposure to telenovelas since childhood I guess

>Germanic countries too hostile
Picks the Netherlands
What dude?

Get real please

Also you could go to the Netherlands first, will be easier for you to adapt and they all speak English. Then you can visit France a bit and see if you like it. Also tanti-American sentiment in France is a meme, you'll be welcomed.

he is american, just think of him as a retarded child.

I meant Scandinavia and the German-speaking countries, the Netherlands is Germanic people, Germanic language but a mix of French and German culture I can see

Come to Luxembourg too, best country

But there are only like 3 or 4 French sounds different from the Spanish ones. I am sure even with a bad pronunciation, everybody would understand you.

Funny, that is how I think of the Polish

KEK polan
Our langauge has some infuences from French due to napoleonic Times
But our culture doesnt really have alot of French infuences.
Its true though we probably are a bit more easy going than Germany.

I heard it is full of rich bankers

That’s Switzerland you’re talking about

I always sensed some French in you, do not know why, probably because the Dutchmen I've met are more easygoing and maybe the colors of your flag, I do not know, it is hard to pinpoint.

I can't really explain it properly because I'm shit at linguistics, but French sounds quite different from Spanish, those sounds that differ are used often
perhaps you as a native French speaker have a different perspective
and yeah I know, but it just sounds awful

Luxembourg is just a slice of Switzerland that is flat and eu-ized

Too bland? What does that even mean? We have the same weather and food as surrounding nations, including the Netherlands. London is extremely vibrant and busy, despite its demographic catastrophe. Our historical sites are unparalleled, our countryside very beautiful and you will be able to speak the language. Don’t miss out necause of some French napoleonic war propaganda and BS brought back from Americans in the UK in WW2 about ‘warm beer’ and other rubbish.

I meant as bland as in like the US, same language, a lot of the same views on life, closer culture, y'know?

Luxembourg has never been a slice of Switzerland. During the Belgian revolution of 1830, the Dutch managed to take back control on it but not on the rest of Belgium which made it a Dutch enclave. Later they decided to release it as an independent state.

I meant as an analogy, I feel like Luxembourg is in the same situation as Switzerland, wealthy, bankers, etc., etc.

see

This is why I am weary of going to the EU, I make one wrong step I am insulted and demonized. And I think I am a rather agreeable fellow!

kek nether chesse is kid chesse
even italian one is better

grow a thicker skin, mutt.
and stop saying bullshit and smiling all the time.
also you know what ticks me off the most with you personally?
you speak like a female

Netherlands.
Dutch is pretty much goofy german, i'd recommend not to.

Why do you think I speak like a female?

He’s probably a Texan who sucks spic cock lmao

Yes Germans are very serious, the Dutch are easy going, Americans are the most ok people to hate in Europe, only the White ones because it is cool to hate other whites, especially the right-wing ones

your word usage i.e you *feel* about luxembourg
the way you structure sentences
i.e >And I think I am a rather agreeable fellow!
and your thought process
again >I make one wrong step I am insulted and demonized

The Dutch don't even speak Dutch any more. They all speak perfect English. If you're going to France, learn French though.

thanks i'm going to use it for the NRIs.

I live in Jew York

New Yorkers/Jerseyans are the non-black niggers of PA.

Mein Nigger. Bergkase is excellent.

Somali is too dangerous to visit, best give Sweden a wide bearth.

I didn't what to make something too solid because I didn't want to get this or . Is either of those things true? I am being demonized right now!

Good to know, thanks!

upstate

Go to Spain and learn Spanish

yes well if you dont get it you dont get it.
also there is your compulsive need to be accepted, which is a very feminine trait.
i bet you were bullied in school if you are a male

Thanks for the suggestion but Spain is going down the toilet from what I can see