I just finished reading Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice). Holy shit, this is beautiful and I cried...

I just finished reading Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice). Holy shit, this is beautiful and I cried. What do you guys think of it? I haven't seen the movie yet but it is just as good right?

The movie isn't quite as good. It butchers the end bad and there are some good parts of the manga that were left out.

Great series, poor ending.

It was pretty mediocre.

It's a bit controversial here, some people loved it and others thought the ending was underwhelming.
Personally I liked it, it's one of the best manga I read in the past year.

The movie or the manga? Or the series in general? Why do you think it was mediocre?

One shot was good, manga was decent overall but it had issues specially past volume 4.

Absolutely loved this manga, and I'm waiting patiently for the movie myself. I'm not going to expect it to be as good as the manga since it's only going to be a little more than 2 hours, so obviously they can't fit everything in.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the manga's ending was pretty good.

I thought it was okay. Some cute parts and the art was impressive. Looking forward to the movie, it seems pretty good.

It had its moments but if fell flat at the end. Nevertheless I wouldn't call it shit or anything. Worth reading for sure.

The manga, I never watched the movie. The series took a decent oneshot and bogged it down with a lot of meandering and side character baggage that ultimately never went anywhere, ending up with an inappropriate several-year-timeskip from "everyone is psychologically deranged and on the point of breaking down" to an "everything turned out alright because it did" end. The inconclusive romance was also a strike against it, and before anyone says it, no, "but it wasn't primarily a romance manga!" isn't an excuse to have a romantic subplot and botched confession that never go anywhere.

The movie's better, it removes the dreadful movie arc and focuses on the two MCs.

These.

The first couple of volumes were amazing.

Then it just lost steam. Especially the movie shit.

It was good, but ending left me unsatisfied.

I don't cry faggot. But yes I agree it was beautiful, although the final page could have been a bit less of an open/good ending to be simply good.

Apparently the movie is slightly different though.

I just liked the first 20-25 chapters, after that it's absolute garbage.
If the movie managed to make the 25-end chapters less shitty then the movie it's much better than the manga.

I agree, the whole let's make a movie part was bad and it didn't make sense they all suddenly hate each other for no serious reason.

Don't lie faggot you cried.

I love the manga. The make a movie subplot wasn't amazing but the series did enough for me that I could overlook the bad.

Can't wait to see the movie

>The inconclusive romance was also a strike against it
Hand holding means love in sign language

Only at the begining.

PLEDGE TO PROTECT

Fuck off.

>The inconclusive romance was also a strike against it,

I disagree. When they were kids, Ishida picked on Shoko which made her mom take her out of that school.

From then on in the series, he never touches her or is hesitant too, even in a friendly way.

It's not until the end that he grabs her hand which is essentially a kiss, because sign language.

>which is essentially a kiss, because sign language
I'm pretty sure deaf people kiss like normal people.

Anyway, that doesn't really change things in my mind. They still had a huge slice of romantic development just occur in an off-screen timeskip, which seems like especially poor structuring to me after confession-bait that they never followed through on. That basically sums up a lot of things about the series, in my opinion - the mangaka set stuff up for development, never followed through on it because she was too busy fucking around with pointless movie stuff, and then had all the developments I'd actually have cared about occur during a timeskip (with no real explanation in some cases - did we even get any reliable guarantee that Mashiba wasn't still a maniac, for example) and ended it.

Is there some kind of interview of the author and questions the author was to why he or she ended it that way and not really show any closure between the main character and the guy who bullied?

You just cried because of your poor fucking taste, it is shit. (i come from manga source) if the film was faithful ill be pissed.

Liked it at first. Then it just turned into another pretty standard school melodrama series with the gimmick of having a deaf chick there. Don't regret reading it but I didn't enjoy it enough to have any interest in this movie.

MC didn't deserve happiness.

I really liked the manga, but the ending was unsatisfying. The "Huh? That's it?" kind of feeling.
I don't mind some thing being untold, but there definitely was some room for more chapters. That's what I don't like in romance stories - they arrive at the goal line, be it kiss or confession, and they just abruptly end, without bothering to show at least a bit of couple's life. And in this series, watching MC taking care of the deaf girl was especially satisfying, so I wish author would feed us some comfy chapters showing awkward couple doing awkward things.

Humans don't deserve happiness.

>(i come from manga source)
go back there and don't return.

This describes almost all manga. Seriously, most manga seem to have shit endings. At the very least, weak endings.

It's good but the ending was, yes, weak. The entire final act was pretty bad.

More cute deaf mumbling would be nice.

Enjoyed the start of the manga but it quickly lost its stride trying to drum up drama by including more characters that never really cemented themselves as anything more than acquaintances.

Sahara was a good step toward healing and bridging a relationship for Shouko and Shouya.
She was just a good girl who felt guilty over doing nothing.
Yuzuru was a good foil and test for Shouya because she acknowledged that he was a big source of grief for her sister, being able to overcome and befriend her is a good show of personal growth and change.

Everyone else, in hindsight, I thought ended up being more trouble than they were worth.

MC didn't deserve what happened to him. He was a victim as well.

> most manga seem to have shit endings
Most manga (like most anything) are shit in general. There are plenty of manga with good endings, particularly ones that aren't long as fuck.

I get what you mean, but I felt like the ending is supposed to be like a new beginning for the two MCs.
I felt like Kawai was there to show us that some people won't change no matter what. Especially since she's been a fake ass bitch since elementary school up till even now.

Ueno's relationship with Shoko is pretty interesting. I kinda liked that they never really became friends because that would have been really weird in such a short period of time especially after everything that happened.

Also felt like Mashiba was there because his methods of dealing with bullies isn't correct and remember how he wanted to be a teacher to protect his friend's children? He dropped that because I felt like he realized that he was no better than the bullies and his "dream" wasn't really what he wanted for himself.

>This describes almost all manga. Seriously, most manga seem to have shit endings. At the very least, weak endings.
Well, there are generally two types of manga - axed ones and those milked dry. The former will obviously have a shitty rushed ending, the latter usually is so dragged, everyone is tired of it, author included. It's rare to see a manga ending at the right point.

>holding hands essentially a kiss in sign language
Alright ladies (if there are any of you here) lets hold hands.

Pretty much, yes.

I also just finished this about a week ago, I agree with most of these guys, the ending was kind of bland, but I definitely enjoyed it over all. Can't say I cried though.
also, Sahara best girl.

the quints speak.

I loved the manga and am also waiting for the movie. I'm not a big fan of the ending, but I think it's just a result of trying to cram too much into the manga and not being able to follow through with it.

>It butchers the end bad
How do you do that? The ending was terrible enough as is. Like it's one of the few cases I've seen where an ending is so bad that it ruins the entire story. How do you do worse than that?

>there are some good parts of the manga that were left out
What gets cut? Why do I have the feeling it's shit like Sahara (aka best girl) getting reduced screen time or Mashiba flipping out on the girl bullies.

Sahara is literally perfect and is bro as hell towards Shouya. Pic very much related.

The fuck are you talking about? The movie did the ending way better than the manga. It's better to end on the emotional climax rather than draw it out another 10 chapters with pointless bullshit.

Started fairly interesting. Began its downhill slide around the halfway mark and never recovered.

Sahara's my favorite character but objectively Ueno's probably the "best" character in the series in the sense that she's far and away the least shallow and best developed one.

as you said, it is beautiful

This

>the least shallow and best developed one.
wew

Goed for most series

>can't find a movie stream or a download yet

quints speak the truth

Some people are saying the BDs won't be out until the end of March or something. I do hope it comes out soon though.

>the least shallow and best developed one
The exact opposite.

Ueno is a shallow person but not a shallow character.

She's a bad person, not a bad character.

This.

>romance never really happens
Fuck that shit.

I think it will be cool. I love the manga and Yamada. Its an adaptation things have to be cut and redone in order to make it work right in the new medium

Most of them were stand-ins for the various actors in a bullying scenario or were different results of past bullying. Their presence and development supported the message.

Turd head didn't need to exist.

Ending was so bad that everything in the manga kinda seemed irrelevant.

The only romance that paid off was Sahara/Ueno. Nobody can resist the Lanklet Queen.

KIMI NO ZEN ZEN SENSE

The movie cut out that dumb filler arc near the end, that alone makes it better than the manga.

This, the one shot was fucking great, a sequel wasn't needed. That said her new series to your eternity, 10chapters in, is already better than deaf note.

>What do you guys think of it
I don't really think of it. Wasted fucking potential.

SU-KI

Wrong thread

Koi wo shita no wa is better

i thought it was pretty good even with its faults.

besides revisiting the failed confession, i really feel like the ending chapter should have been a pov spotlight chapter for shouka, as she didnt really get one while all the other side characters did. there was kind of a growing issue the entire series with how she has difficulty properly expressing herself to others that really exploded during the summer festival, and having a chapter where we as the reader finally get to understand her internal monologue would have been a good way to put that issue to rest. as it is, its still kind of a bit open. we can see things improved somewhat, but it lacks closure.

...kind of like ending a romance series with hand holding

Something like this, I don't know what it is but I think I was kinda looking for a different ending maybe. I have read this manga quite a long time ago now, I just feel all the build up in drama wasn't for "that" ending. you know what I'm saying....

It's shit movie desu.

No awards.

Mediocre sales.

Stay mad.

koe no katachi is among my top ten manga ever, super duper makes me cry. don't care about the movie. it's really weird that some of my favorite manga have been adapted into mediocre anime recently - orange and horou musuko come to mind.

Bull.