The “Dollar General” Economy

newsandguts.com/dollar-general-economy/

>Dollar General, according to CNN has “smaller stores (that) sell cheap day-to-day essentials, especially in rural areas where it doesn’t make sense for Walmart or other large retailers to open up shop.” The company is going after a market of shoppers who make $40,000 a year or less. And the CEO of the chain, which now has 14,000 stores across the country, said something recently that is telling. Todd Vasos told the Wall Street Journal, “The economy is continuing to create more of our core customer. We are putting stores today [in areas] that perhaps five years ago were just on the cusp of probably not being our demographic,” he said, “and it has now turned to being our demographic.”

>So a large percentage of Americans aren’t “winning.” They’re surviving. And many voted for Donald Trump in the hopes of getting tax relief, or better health care. It’s not happening.

This is retardation

wtf? Flood america with millions of muslims NOW!

I weep for our nation

WHY CANT AMERICAN POLITICIANS LET THEIR COUNTRY THRIVE?

I'd much rather go in a DG than a Wal-Mart.

>The company is going after a market of shoppers who make $40,000 a year or less.

what is Wal-Mart going for?

What’s wrong with dollar general? Most of them are more well kept than most Walmart’s

have you ever been in one? of course you haven't. some of their shit is below MSRP like haribo gummies.

same for dollar tree. go to a mall where they sell candy and haribo candy is marked up to $5.99 to target those gullible chinks and a-rabs from dubai

here we get them for $.99

>$40,000
this is their benchmark for poverty? They dont even know how out of touch they are.

>imports a million 3rd worlders a year for years
>ship manufacturing jobs over seas
>What the fuck what is with all the poor people?

but seriously
WE CANT LET HIM GET THE DOLLAR STORE CODES!

Pretty sure they were referring to family income, as in a married couple and a child.

Dollar General sucks because they sell dollar store-tier goods for more than a dollar. Dollar Tree is awful, but at least their stuff is actually $1. So it's reasonable for some craft supplies for kids, or birthday party supplies that would cost you six times as much in a supermarket.

So saving money on goods means the economy is bad? Who writes this shit?

WTF I hate modestly priced goods now???

i hate donald trump now

Because unless you are wasting extra dollars at whole foods you are a rural retard that voted for Dongald Glompf

Aldi and Trader Joe's too.

Considering the jobless rate is at a record low it's probably due to the fact that a hell of a lot more people actually have some sort of income and aren't using food stamps and living out of a car.
But I guess if they don't go from nothing to 100k a year it's all DRUMPFS fault.

>large portion of the US population lives out in the boonies
>stores specifically cater to these people by providing basic needs
>store makes profit as a result
This isn't hard to understand. Just basic supply and demand

This is just plain old retard.
More people are becoming savvy shoppers because its easy to head to a store like dollar general/tree and pick up a bunch of things for cheap.
If dollar general services the $40k and under crowd than who does walmart service?
and who is going to high end stores to buy dollar store tier garbage?

I make 140k (I’m older than most of you most likely)

I shop at dollar general & Walmart, and live my life frugally. Why wouldn’t I pay more for disposable goods?

Just because someone makes more than 40k doesn’t mean they go blowing all their cash recklessly.

What is your career? How did you get up to that? Any degrees?

>Life has gotten shittier for Americans
>Before Trump has a chance to implement tax reform or healthcare reform
>This is Trump's fault
>The stock market surge is Obama's though
It's all so tiresome.

City folks etc.

>every American should be salivating at the thought of buying unnecessarily expensive shit at hipster outlets
>if you don't, you're a retarded conservative!

can we just nuke the cities?

>We are putting stores today [in areas] that perhaps five years ago were just on the cusp of probably not being our demographic,” he said, “and it has now turned to being our demographic.”

And which political party was in power for most of the last 5 years? Every fucking time fake news tries to spread it's bullshit around it just ends up shooting itself in the foot.

They built one in an upper-class white area where I live in L.A. It's like they did it to start getting minorities and poor people to start coming here, since they are the only ones that go there.

They forgot to mention German retailers have been planning to aggressively expand in the US as well. Lidl opened its first-ever American stores earlier this year. Aldi has already been here for awhile, but recently they've been growing pretty fast.

Framing this as a low-income phenomenon is only telling half the story. I've been noticing more people are getting tired of going to large stores and spending much of their time trying not to get lost in them. They'd rather have something smaller so they can get out faster, if nothing else.

I make more money than this author and I shop at dollar stores and 5 below.

I don't overspend on household good because I'm not retarded.

I was a software developer, then jumped ship to be a Linux sysadmin - which has turned me into more of a general technology expert. & sysadmin at this point. .I learned everything on my own, mostly by reading books, downloading shit and playin with it, and reading Internet forums. I quit college and decided to get an internship, learned more from than I bet did in college, and just climbed my way up the ladder. Now I’m the sysadmin solely responsible for a space related project and work with really awesome stuff.

You don’t have to be in IT to make good money though. I hire younger guys that don’t have a strong IT background. The real key to making good money is to be the person that can be depended on, won’t cause problems, and is generally liked by everyone, that will get you further in life than just your smarts. I’ve seen many bright guys come and go because they were autistic idiots and didn’t know how to conduct them selfs professionally.

We should tax those people to death so we can provide more government gibs that we’ll take credit for giving them even though they paid for it. That’ll fix it.

Virgin city soyboys voted for Hillary, rural and suburban Chads voted for Trump

>Store sells decent products for under a dollar each.
>WTF, why is it doing so well?

I spend about 3 months a year in one of these "rural" villages. They recently got a DG there and in a few neighboring villages and it absolutely changed the game in those communities. The local businesses were forced to dramatically up their quality and change their specialties. If you needed a pair of socks it would be around 15+ a pack for some shitty hanes at the local grocer and they never had fresh produce or meat. They restructured and offer the goods DG doesn't (at a decent quality and price as well) and DG can stick with the staple items (trash bags, paper towels, etc). The reason DG is able to do this is because they are incredibly smart with their supply lines not because of the political climate. Oh and these stores really started popping up about 3 to 4 years ago, but that doesn't really matter.

ps add DG and FDO to your 25+ year retirement portfolio.

I would love to learn more and have plenty of freetime to do so. What's a step in the right direction for someone just starting out? Any way possible we could e-mail/kik/skype/anything if you wouldn't mind?

DG has stores in the most obscure locations.
I found one down a dirt road out in the middle of the woods one time.
It was so surreal.

>I quit college and decided to get an internship
Any tips on getting an internship?
Its already impossibly hard to land one with a degree, let alone after dropping out of college.

Yeah, the village I was talking about has a year round population of 600 and a Redbox machine in front of their DG. It's just kind of interesting to think that machine probably has more DVDs than people living there.

RIP AMERICA

Judging by the increase of electric carts, I'd say the morbidly obese

Suburban retards are waking up to the realization that no one really gives a shit about if they are seen with a cup that says starbucks on it it or bags of overpriced shit from whole foods

I am just genuinely curious about this setup, can you tell me where its located?

I dont think I have seen a public dirt road since I was a young kid, 20 years ago or so.

>my company does better when the economy is bad
>DONT VOTE FOR DRUMPF GOYIM

really makes you think

"especially in rural areas where..."

Where I can drive one mile instead of 20 miles to get a gallon of milk.

I love Dollar General.

It’s definitely competitive. Don’t give up, just apply to everything that interest you. Remember as an intern you’re not expected to know everything. What they want is someone with a good personality, and a willingness to actually learn. Ideally you’ll turn into a full time employee. Be professional in your interview, show an eagerness to work and learn. You will find one, it’s just a matter of lots of effort and time.

With that said, once you get your foot in the door, work hard and be the person that can be depended on and doesn’t cause problems. Even if the internship “sucks”. Stick with it until it’s over and now you have a little experience on your resume to jump into the entry level full time job

Also don’t rule out applying for full time entry level jobs. It’s basically the equivalent of an internship anyway.

The job market is booming, you’ll be competing against a lot of people but the stars will align and you will get that job

One tip I learned, you might want to look into applying at small businesses, and avoid the large corporations. You’ll have better luck and less competition, if that’s possible for the career you’re looking into

I forgot to mention, most government agencies do internships right after school let’s out. See if you can land one of those. I believe they are posted on USAjobs.gov , there’s usually internships available for a range jobs

Also it might not hurt to work as a temp in a field you like, talk to one of the temp agencies. They key is to just get your foot in the door, after that you can control your own destiny.

I make six figures and love DG. Fuck me, I guess.

>hasn't seen a dirt road in 20 years
Holy fuck live a little

>So a large percentage of Americans aren’t “winning.” They’re surviving. And many voted for Donald Trump in the hopes of getting tax relief, or better health care. It’s not happening.

Yup, sounds like me. I can't even afford to eat at cheap fast food places. Can barely afford the basics. I'm not thriving—just surviving. Just living month-to-month. I assume that Trump's new tax bill/reform/whatever will not really end up putting more money in my pocket (i make min wage, fyi). At least I don't have any debt, I guess.

Dollar General is not a discount retailer. Their prices are not at all low for their crappy merchandise.

I don't have quantitative data to back this up, but I'm a savvy shopper.

public dirt roads with chain businesses and shit.

I have seen plenty in rural areas with hunting camps or through parks or whatever.

>eat at cheap fast food places
That's probably because that's actually more expensive by far than you just taking a half hour to cook your own lazy ass some fucking healthy food that won't leave you feeling hungry because the ringworms eat before you do. Poor people in the US are, to a T, willfully so.

Well he has to follow up on eight years of inept idiocy.

This is because the number of people on foodstamps has dropped and they've had to start buying their own shit. Nice try(((CNN))).

the JIDF doesnt exist anymore you retard
theyre now mediamatters/shareblue
praise kek xD

That's not ideal but its not terrible either.