Critically acclaimed as the best Japanese movie of 2016

>Critically acclaimed as the best Japanese movie of 2016
>Gets awards overseas
>Was not pushed for an Oscar nomination because baka gaijins were pressuring for the Kimi no Nawa nomination, which was inferior

A golden moment lost.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C8IYZkoWodE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck off already retard, it doesn't need any award at all if it's a good film.

Isn't the theoretical purpose of an awards process divorced of politics to celebrate the extraordinarily good and lift it above the ingratiating, or the merely popular?

>Caring about award
>Caring about the Oscars

You are just salty because Kimi no Nawa is more popular and recognized than this film, aren't you?

user a wacky 3D animated movie with smug looking talking animals that's fun for the whole family was nominated, nothing else has a chance regardless

Also it's made by Diney, that's the nail in the coffin

Nigga, it's a popularity contest. No one cares if it was better.

Is this the justification Shinkaicucks use for not scoring 1 (ONE) Oscar nomination? Toppest laff.

I've never even seen a single Shinkai movie you loser.

It's almost always the case that the popular (and hence more instantly recognizable) is rarely the best, but my comment was more pointed at the process. I haven't seen either film yet to be salty about anything. Were popularity the sole criteria applied when handing out awards then there need be no judgement exercised. You should just go be a box office receipts list.

If the former won awards in other contests around the world but not the Oscars, your comment would be more appropriate to the Oscars than awards in general.

Oscars don't care about Chinese fucking things unless its Ghibli

>Oscars don't care about Chinese fucking things unless its Miyazaki
FTFY, especially since they snubbed Kaguya-Hime AKA the best animated film to come out this decade so far

Disney had the distributing rights for the English release, so it was another Disney win in disguise.

now you made me want to watch this, but there is nothing on Nyaa.

It's probably still eligible for submission if your into that
Spirited away was released in 2001 yet won it's Oscar in 2003

#OscarsNotSoYellow

kaguya hime wasnt that good

I liked Kaguya-hime and all but the beautiful animation can only do so much for a story that's over a thousand years old, not that I'm saying that should disqualify it for winning a Best Animation award or anything. As far as recent Ghibli movies go though, I really liked Marnie.

First $$$ better than a stupid Oscar. Kimi is a great movie. Corner is a so-so movie. Anime is too advanced for most westerners.

I was waiting for her to put a chainsaw in her hand and get a boomstick.

Oscar coverage would be wonderful for a movie like this, but really what did you expect? It already won the Noburo Ofuji award too, which, in this context, is a title more worth being proud of.

You imply that the sensibilities and aesthetics of Japan (and the world at large) are the same in the United States. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I'm not saying it isn't Oscar-worthy. I am saying that assuming its Oscar-worthy because everyone else in the world loves it is missing the point. The United States isn't the rest of the world. We do shit our own way. I'm sure there are plenty of great movies made in the US that are viewed as utter garbage in other countries.

The point being is that Japan and the US have very different cultures (and the rest of the world, for that matter). What's good and popular here or there does not automatically translate.

The animation category of the oscars is garbage anyway, and as it is, neither this movie, nor your name would have had any chance of winning, since the few people who don't abstain from voting in this category just vote for whatever Disney movie came out that year that their kid liked, it's an absolute joke.

most of the judges dont watch the nominees and end up voting for the one movie they actually saw anyway

>does not automatically translate.
>The United States isn't the rest of the world. We do shit our own way
Yes "we" do (or rather, Yes Hollywood does). To reward movies that are ingratiating to the politics of Hollywood, industry-politics or politics-politics, and/or is a world beater at the box office. Good judgement derived from learned opinion need not apply; it's not a criteria that comes up much.

The Oscars are a trash ceremony wherein one city's film industry pats itself (or their favorite pets) on the back in the finest clothes, because its all about self-promotion. Stories abound of how--outside of several select categories--the Academy membership of industry retirees which makes up the majority of the voting body passes off watching all the garbage they're required to judge onto employees of their house staffs, and how the nominations process is thoroughly corrupted by studio lobbying campaigns. A good deal of the competition to favorite son nominations for even those films under consideration which made the final cut goes unreviewed.

what was the title of the song where i felt extreme sadness even though i don't know the lyrics? i know it was from this animu

It's a great movie.

Crowd-funding done right

Did it go "dun dun dun... dun dun du dun"?

youtube.com/watch?v=C8IYZkoWodE

It never even came out in America to be eligible.
Also this