Was he right, or was he wrong?

Was he right, or was he wrong?
Either way, why was Near such an insufferable cunt?

He had to be put down. He completely lost it after L's death.

Killing the FBI officer's qt waifu was the final straw

How? He only "lost it" after being exposed by Near.
Mikami was insane, Light was actually pretty down to earth from start to finish.

I mean it wasn't outward. He slowly lost it and wasn't as cunning. He lost as soon as he killed the fake one on TV

>wasn't as cunning
Near admitted that he would have lost if he hadn't teamed up with Mello. Light was still on L's level by the end of the series.

The Near hate is understandable and comes completely from bad writing.

You don't introduce a character midway through a show and essentially turn them into a deus ex machina, and also a replacement to a previously beloved character. Ohba fucked up.

>why was near an insufferable cunt
Because
>Introduce character laws in universe
>Introduce character that breaks your set laws or forces other characters to break their own laws

His behavior was the most off-putting thing about him. He came off as a pretentious kid and his victory over Kira felt undeserved.
What laws are you referring to?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember thinking that after finishing and it stuck with me

You're right. But I think that Light before L's death would have seen through Mikami being such a loyal follower that he would have done what he did.

Did it come from Light losing touch, or was it that he simply underestimated Near?

Light losing touch is the whole narrative of the series.

Even after killing that mugger, and his first wave of killings he had something of a sense of decency. When L challenged him the first time is the start of him going off the rails because his egomania had become apparent.

If he had just let L rip on him and not killed Lind L. Tailor L would have been spinning his wheels forever.

Then after going through an utterly ridiculous amount of circuitous shit to avoid being busted by the FBI investigator and the surveillance cams he just kills Raye for no good reason when if he again- would have just let sleeping dogs lie Raye would've written him off and life could have gone on as usual.

He never should have joined the task force either but again- hubris. He wanted L's resources and to kill L when the best thing to do would've just been coming up with a way to have "Kira" go to ground and kill on the sly while he lived a wonderful life as a college student.

I guess that's true. He could've avoided a lot of shit but pride prevented him from doing so.

I just finished watching the second part of death note after Ls death

Mello and Near both give 'L but split into two parts' vibe, where:

Near - brains, police influence, authority and strange mannerisms

Mello - resourcefulness, quick social wits, actual physical involvement
(comparing how L confronted Light with how Mello took the dn off the jap cops)

I actually think it was decently written for those who wanted Kira dead. Which really needed to happen anyway

I just feel like Mello should have been given credit for tracking mikamis real dn down then using his mafia skills to make a forgery of it. Would've been more balanced

>Which really needed to happen anyway
Not trying to be edgy here but weren't his actions objectively beneficial to society as a whole?

I think Near says as much in the epilogue afterwards when basically goads some loser another Shinigami threw a death note at into killing himself.

Crime on the whole is lower than it ever has been since it started being recorded in human history and even after being revealed as human Kira still has a full-blown cult that worships him.

Raito was raito.

Yeah defs

But from a narrative point of view if light didn't die, I think it would be a sour ending esp. for L fans

Unrelated but I feel like Your Name would have been great with a sad ending where the two don't end up together. But then maybe it wouldn't have been as popular?

Light reminds me ALOT of myself... is that bad?

>Your Name would have been great with a sad ending where the two don't end up together.
You mean like with 5cm/s?

>Was he right, or was he wrong?
It's up to you. The series flirts with both. People who think he's wrong are focused on the fact that, well, the guy is written like a villain. In the duel between Kira and the Law, the cops are mostly good guys, the detectives are grey -here and there, and Light descends from very good boy to progressively more evil asshole (made clear when he loses his memories). It's a shonen series after all.

People who say he's right focus on the positive consequences Kira's actions have for wider society, where he's decreased world crime, ended war, and many ordinary people are genuinely happy/thankful and think he's making the world a better place. And while Light offs and plans to off a few innocent people for his aims/to cover his hide, it's repeated he IS methodical as far as his killings of criminals go. (Though people can use Light bending his rules as evidence against him, and Light think he's a hot shot god and everything he does is right anyway).

The questions are put in the background. DN is a duel between geniuses, one criminal and one detective.
>why was Near such an insufferable cunt
Because people liked L,or at least preferred him, and didn't like seeing his place taken by lessers, especially a clone. He had his own particularities but it rubs the wrong way, like how he's an admitted coward and people risk themselves while he's a smug shota genius shut-on.

And face it, many of us were on the Kira train. I don't totally hate Near but Mello was more likable to me. He had a personal drive and would even manipulate the mafia for his aims.
It was necessary at that point. Twisting the knife wasn't. It shows Light wants to relish an absolute victory over his opponents. That's why he made the duel with L so personal and doesn't give a damn how much anonymity he's losing, because he's so damn confident. I think his extreme confidence and desire to taste a sweet victory definitely help screw him in the end.

He was right but doing it wrongly.

Complete underestimation of Near, and he grew too reliant on others. The girl made him that way.

Yeah now that you mention it...

But at least a town was saved from their relationship - which shouldn't have existed in the first place.

5cm/S was so realistic hurts to think about it

Alternatively, the viewer is someone who either gives a medal to the person who changing the train track for saving thousands of people or kill the person for killing handful of people.

Matsuda was a dumb fuck but he was the only likable cop
Felt kinda bad for him when Light was revealed to be Kira

how'd they single out mikami as the sneaky sneak kira again? its bugging me

On the one hand, big yes, he decreased crime and ended conflicts, saving and improving untold millions of lives. Kira also promoted being kind, selfless, hardworking, blah blah.

On the other hand, we saw it could make people worse in different ways, as they try to take advantage of the situation for their own benefit. That's how people are.

Now if Light had finally secured his rule, maybe he'd try to stop that because Mikada did kill that fat greasy producer. But there's still the question of one man ruling the world and judging humanity like a god. No matter how great, a man is still but a man.

*Mikami

Is the anime worth watching or is the manga better?

Light's interesting because he wasn't thrust into this predicament. He put himself in it, or rather reasoned himself into it when he confirmed the DN was the real deal. Ryuk then tells him there is no destiny, no divine retribution either. He's just a man with a plan and the means to achieve it. So he sees all of humanity this way: people to kill and people to save, by his decree.
He's an everyman. He also has excellent taste.

I liked Soichiro most. Even if Light would put his aims before family and even try to manipulate him on his deathbed, I believe he had warm feelings for his father and was partially genuinely sad. If he had any lingering feelings, there were gone after that because he was more than happy to kill everyone.

He also got bailed out of killing his sister, so once again we're left to question his true feelings.

Anime, stop after episode 26 or whatever it is, you'll know what I'm talking about when you reach it.

People will probably give the series shit, but I highly enjoyed the anime. One of the few that I can rewatch.

I think Near was stupid mostly just because he was just an L clone

like why kill off a character if you're just going to replace them with a very similar character?

just seems pointless

Would the series have been better if it had just been Light vs. Mello after L's death?

The series would have been better if they cut everything after L died

Watch the first 26 episodes of the anime, then switch to the manga (chapter 60 or so).

The problem with judging him based on the results is that it would never actually work. Light relied on the media and judicial systems to know who to kill, and there's no way they would continue to operate as if nothing were happening.

If he relied on court judgements, courts would become incredibly reluctant to convict anyone of anything. If he just relied on media reports, many would stop reporting the information he needed, and others would throw around accusations to get people killed.

His use of the Death Note wouldn't have stopped crime, it would destroy the judicial system.

The internet showed that Kira didn't need the media to punish criminals.

The series would have been better if Misa was the one who defeated Light, and she betrayed him over petty emotions. Jealousy of that new bitch that Light was getting cozy with, maybe. That's what I was really anticipating happening as soon as she came into the picture.

It would be fitting because then Light would have lost without ever being outsmarted, and entirely because of his moral flaw - his inability to feel empathy.

Is the dub for this any good? I don't usually watch them but I've heard people say this one's ok.

Both are worth it but definitely read the manga. Only major difference is how it concludes.

>others would throw around accusations to get people killed
Good thing we need never doubt the accuracy of information on the internet.

Was it ever specified if the death note worked if it was written on by a machine as opposed to a human?

>The problem with judging him based on the results is that it would never actually work.
DN is juvenile fiction so this is based on what goes in within the series itself. The series takes liberties so the story can be entertaining.

You have to be picturing the person's face while writing so I don't think a machine can do that.

A machine can't picture the right person in its mind. Presumably.

It wouldn't work, considering the machine is incapable of having the image of the victim's face while doing the deed.

No, but for example
>put death note pages in a printer
>connect the printer to a computer
>link the computer to a small handheld device or an electronic watch
Then you'd be able to kill people just by saying their name, assuming the handheld device could be programmed to immediately send that to the computer and print it out.

anyone else think the second arc wasn't that bad?
It's just that the anime cut out a lot of mellos scenes and stuffed in the autistic one but we still have based delete man or whatever his name was

It is implied that you have to maintain direct physical contact with the book to have any use of its power.

Oh, okay. Too bad.

*Or pages, rather.

he got too cocky, he would have got away with it if he had never responded to L at all and just kept killing on a regular schedule

Second arc was too rushed, I think the mangaka made it rushed because he didn't like how the first arc ended.

its one of the few ive found to have any rewatch value

Near personality and behaviour was already bad enough, but the second arc got boring pretty quickly because of all the
>I predicted your move!
>I predicted that you would predict my move!
>I predicted that you would predict that I would predict your move!
>Too bad, I also predicted that you would predict that I would predict that you would predict my next move!

The main problem with Light's plan is that it isn't sustainable. Even if he was able to create the utopia he wanted, it would only last for about 60 years. After that, people would start to realize that Kira no longer had any control. Small, experimental crimes would give way to larger crimes until we end up back where we were before him.

>pass his notebook to some trust-worthy believer or even his own child
>have him kill him using the notebook
>ownership transfers to the killer
>rinse and repeat for hundreds of years

Evil is always the loser. It's the victor who has justice. The victor being the last man standing. And how you win in battle is irrelevant.

He didn't think there was anyone on his level. That's arrogant as hell but reasonable within the world of DN. He wants to squash L for the sake of his ego, but he's also enjoying being able to match wits with an equal for once.

It's all thrilling. He's got an incredible weapon, a master plan, a great foe to battle, jams to get out of, new heights to reach.

Near was my favourite character.

Literally defeated by responding to bait. Truly one of us.

I wish we could've gotten more scenes with Ryuk, he wasn't very useful but he was fun and entertaining.

>fake your own death
>fly to some 3rd world country and hide in some small ass village just like Hitler
>continue writing names in the notebook
Problem solved.

Making obvious Kira's connection to the police was more damning. Billions to tens of millions is one thing. Tens of millions to like a few dozen is another.

The entire "I suspect you but I'll let you join our operation anyway" thing was just stupid.

If such a genius detective as L thought that there is a very high chance Light was Kira, I'm pretty sure the government would put Light down using some secret police squad instead of playing cat-and-mouse with him for a few months.

that isn't even close to the point he was making, read it again.

Why, exactly?
>kira would stop being a force to be reckoned with after 60 years
>not if he passes the ownership to someone young enough to continue his legacy

This, peoples problem with him is that he was a -dissatisfying- alternative to L not a -bad- one then they fill in faux-rational critiques of the stories writing from there

>60 years.
I doubt Light would have been able to keep Ryuk amused for that long. Ten years at most.

She wasn't ticking right after her fiancee's death
Her death was the only reasonable option for Light. Utimatly he didn't do wrong by anyone with this. Killing the fbi guy was the actual final straw

All of you faggots in this thread literally didn't get anything, stop posting about anime you just finished watching because it makes you look retarded.

You mean he would have lost if Mikami didn't fuck up.

Can't speak for everyone, but Death Note is one of the few anime I can only watch dubbed.

Mikami had no way of knowing, though.

Nice thumbnail, retard.

Get this *unzips dick*

He was right in the beginning but started slowly turn into a villain killing innocent people just to not get caught.