This should be taught in schools alongside The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird

This should be taught in schools alongside The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I honestly believe that Evangelion is the most important piece of fiction in the past 20 years.

Pop culture does not equate academic advancement, newfriend.

Case in point, Star Wars.

I agree

Depends. Should every english class show it? Probably not. But if you are interested in film or animation at all, its probably up there on the "must see" list. Maybe not good for general curriculum, but it certainly has worth in film studies.

No, you're just a complete idiot that just watched his first example of abstract film making.

I don't think it should be taught in schools. But I do think it should be way more popular in common culture. Like everyone talks about GoT but not EVA? WTF? It asks some very important and interesting existential questions that I think humanity should spend more time looking at. I honestly think people are afraid of it.

I fucking wish we got to talk about Eva, instead my elementary school english curriculum included Death Note for some bizarre reason.

>elementary school
>death note

wat

Get off, tattun.

>tfw went to one of the inner city schools and they could only afford to teach Naruto in the curriculum

End of Evangelion changes people.

They teach this shit in schools?

Feel sorry for you

case in point, the great gatsby, to kill a mockingbird, the count of monte cristo....

The "greats" aren't all masterpieces. Many of the "greats" are old pop culture, and are significant only in their influence. They're not the first, they're not the best, but they are the most popular. You read them to gain context and insight, and little else. It's not fucking philosophy. It's fiction, it's a muse.

In that sense, eva is one of the "greats". In watching it, you gain context and understand where many modern anime trends come from - but in what insane school do you waste students time on understanding a subset of another culture, especially when that culture doesn't even like that subset of itself? Why do people give a fuck about the supposed reason why anime is shit when they could learn about the supposed reason modern literature is "okay" instead?

No, I'm pretty sure its worthy of mentioning in the syllabus of an animation or film course especially one on eastern/japanese animation. Everyone watches Citizen Kane or another classic in the 100 level course, you arent smart for recoginizing its used more academically. Youre just a pseduointellecual tryhard.

It should be shown to first graders

Anyone taking JAPN 390?

I do not want to picture that classroom.

>Advent Children
why

I saw Spirited Away as part of my 12th grade lit analysis of film class. One of the things that rekindled my interest in anime.

I'm not sure whether I should cringe, or try to convince my uni to start offering that.

Japanese teachers love it for some reason, it can be a great way to start a conversation.

are you guys kidding or are nigger schools really that shit?

Please be joking. EVA was fun and all, but it's not a masterpiece. Hardly so, considered the plot fumbles around for half the series before finding its true footing. The cast is also 2 dimensional despite being praised like hell. Shinji is compelling but, that's about it.

If Eva is anything it is a conversation starter

Aska best wifu

First guy's joking, second guy is probably serious, but not for financial reasons.

It changed the way I yawn while watching a movie.

>Star Wars
>on the same level of EoE
End your life, fag

a lot of masterpieces taught in schools don't have a plot at all or well-developed characters, Look at Waiting for Godot, for example. It's literally just about two guys waiting. Plot and characters aren't what make something a masterpiece, they're just bonuses.

AHAHAHA what the fuck is that?

>Look at Waiting for Godot, for example. It's literally just about two guys waiting.
Oh the ironing of posting that here.