Why is mkv muxed subs the standard when downloaded the raw and getting separate sub files would be better in every way...

why is mkv muxed subs the standard when downloaded the raw and getting separate sub files would be better in every way for everyone

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/tp7/Sushi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because 90% of the melodrama and the shitflinging in the fansub scene happens because the encoding and not the subtitles

Because there are many raws, and the subs can't be used for all. Also, most raws are of questionable quality. Groups usually have better encodes then random raws. USUALLY.

Also, look at the movie/TV scene. It's so freaking hard and annoying to find good subtitles because they are separate.

what is the advantage?

>Also, look at the movie/TV scene. It's so freaking hard and annoying to find good subtitles because they are separate.
It's really not though.

It's not super hard, but it could get really annoying, especially with timing.

Also you can always turn subs off, so there's really no disadvantage with bunding subs and encodes.

It is when there are 3-5 versions of each movie/episode, and you have to find subs that have the same timing. It's infinitely easier for anime because the subs are always with the video. There's no real advantage in having the subs separate from the video.

all of the above plus font and chapter etc. files.

Subtitle sites list subs with the movie/series release name, it's really not hard to find a match.

And what do you do when the timing is still crappy, as it often happens? And even if it's not "hard to find a match" it's still harder then not having to find a match at all.

As has been repeatedly mentioned, what possible reason is there not to bundle subs with the video?

And sometimes they aren't listed at all, sometimes they are mistimed, sometimes the release that it's for is obscure or maybe there was a new popular release that didn't get proper subtitles.

It probably is okay for most popular series, but it just isn't better in every way for everyone.

It's either the same, slightly worse or much worse.

Literally 90% of subs I find need some kind of re-timing. God forbid you happen to need subs for an extended directors cut or something, because then you get the fun of watching a movie for 30 minutes and then suddenly everything is out of sync and lines are missing, because some cunt misnamed their upload.

Hell, Japanese subs are the fucking WORST. Nobody even bothers cutting out the ad breaks, so if you want to watch an anime with JP subs, you have to re-time it for the start, for after the OP, for the halfway point, and then the ending if you really care about the preview.

Plus, pretty much everyone just uses HS these days. There's no point to separate subs when there are no sub groups left.

I can't remember the last time I downloaded out of sync subs.

That just means you have poor memory.

>downloaded the raw and getting separate sub files would be better in every way for everyone
Except convenience?

No, that means I'm not computer illiterate.

What the hell does that have to do with not remembering the last time something happened?

Because fansubbers have been doing their own encodes from transport streams for over half a decade at this point, and they usually cut out the sponsor screens whereas your average pre-encoded raw (which are pretty much always more or less shit) tends to keep them in (though admittedly I haven't checked if that has changed in recent times because I haven't downloaded any pre-encoded raws in over a decade), so most likely you'd need to adjust the sub timing manually to get things to match up properly.

Even if it things roughly matched up there could still be minor differences in the source trimming between raws that could lead to timing being off by a frame or two, leading to annoying scene bleeds and such.

Then there's also the matter of font distribution, which is way simpler as mkv attachments than distributing say a zip and tell the users to install the fonts locally to make the subs render right.

tl;dr stop downloading shitraws

I "don't remember" it because it just doesn't happen.

>downloaded the raw and getting separate sub files would be better in every way for everyone
How exactly?

I'd go the other way, especially for BD releases.
Have multiple subbers agree on the best video file and bundle all their subs in the same release to increase the size and lifespan of the swarm.

It's not really a problem with english-subbed anime, but with movies I often find that torrents subbed in some languages are dead, but those in different languages are still going strong.

>Have multiple subbers agree on the best video file

Except the majority of subbers still haven't used pre-encoded raws for over half a decade (well, actually closer to a full decade, and actually over a full decade when it comes to non-TV releases) so this would essentially required groups deciding which of their encoders can do the best job with the BDs in question, so unless they're already doing a joint release that doesn't really work out.

Well, if we're talking about BDs wouldn't subs made for BD encode A works just as well for BD encode B? I mean both were made from the same m2ts and that's the same regardless of what BD you use, right?

For the most part, sure. I can still imagine some minor problem scenarios (eg. two episodes in one m2ts file and the second episode starts with a fade from black) but for the most part subs should be much easier to recycle from one BD release to another than with TV releases.

Though a much bigger issue is that a lot of BD releasers assume TV subs will Just Work(tm) without any issues on BD encodes and end up with tons of scene bleeds or mismatched typesetting as a result. At the very least they could use Sushi and preferably actually fucking watch the results as a sanity check before releasing them.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is Sushi?

A Japanese dish made with rice, algae and some random other stuff.

>Have multiple subbers agree
This is where your plan falls apart.

>Plus, pretty much everyone just uses HS these days. There's no point to separate subs when there are no sub groups left.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT DAIZ

github.com/tp7/Sushi

How so?

There's an ongoing joke about how Daiz killed fansubbing.

>this would essentially required groups deciding which of their encoders can do the best job with the BDs in question, so unless they're already doing a joint release that doesn't really work out.

>>Have multiple subbers agree
>This is where your plan falls apart.

Yeah, I know it'll never happen.
Still, I can't help thinking about it every time I'm unable to get the best video, best audio in original language and best subs in my preferred language/style combo.

Because you are an idiot.

Most "subs" atm are just Horriblesubs stealing crunchy stuff. RAWS on other hand are just recorded TV airing.

Both are recodes of original HD CAM that studios supplied to TV station and which Cranchyroll recieves as well, which is in 1440x1020 and scaled up to 1920x1080.

So objectively best available quality is that of CR because
1) You natively have access to 1920 version. No other version is needed, since all others are DOWNSCALES from HD CAM.
2) TV rips are motly available only at 720p, which is downscale, and have downside of being recorded from TV - so having additional encode on top existing TV one, lowering the quality. While with HS you get directly ripped HS stream, though details matter which you`ll see below. That applies not just to anime by the way - WebDL version of TV series are always better quality than recorded from TV too.

While HS in theory has best quality, the are factors of
1) them resambling it for the stream, thus some quality loss
2) their visual settings/colors/contrast (some raws might be better looking depending on how it was recorded)
3) Bitrate.

Generally though, HS atm is better in most aspects unless they or CR fuck up. Good example this season being Handshakers that is only somewhat watchable in HS 1080 version, while all raws and lower resolution versions are shit.

If you want better quality the only way is to wait for BD rips.

As someone autistic enough to actually check all raws and compare it to HS, I can atest that the 1080p HS has the best available quality for everything aired on CR. Since Funi no longer does subs we don't have to worry about their shitty encoding anymore either.