So MAPPA has produced the most critically acclaimed Japanese film of 2016...

So MAPPA has produced the most critically acclaimed Japanese film of 2016, a likely two billion yen earner in the box office and the most Japanese award winning non-Ghibli/Hosoda anime film from this century and people are still pretending Yuri on Ice is their most important and money making work ever?

I don't think anyone gives a shit about Mappa, the ones doing money from YoI are Avex Pictures, and Kono Sekai ticket sales go to Tokyo Theatres and Genco, International distribution profits will go to Animatsu, Mappa will most likely only see profit from the BD sales, which will a relatively good amount, but they haven't seen profit yet as of yet.

Also, it is projected to gross over 2.5 billion, not just 2 billion.

MAPPA is still the hands that drew this arthouse of a historical movie.

the art is shit, just look at these peasants.

They just adapted it, the hands and mind that developed this series was Fumiyo Koono

I'm still waiting for that Shaman King remake Maruyama talked about

Who cares about the opinion of fujofucks. They're literally 12 yr old teenage girls who are also redditfags. Do you actually take them seriously?

Can't wait to watch this. If they release it here I'm gonna go watch it.

I found it appealing

Has that boring plain Ghibli look to it which is very forgettable

Do you know who made Akira?

Kanye?

No one has seen that movie yet because Sup Forums is too dumb to learn Japanese and too lazy to go to Japan so they watch their Chinese cartoons in the theater

>which is now very forgettable
FTFY

Looks better than Kimi no Na wa

The art style is less generic at least. But I doubt they could match Kimi no na Wa's animation.

Kono Sekai is the second best movie of 2016. I really loved every second of it. The only drawback for me was that it didn't touch me. But it was really well made.
But chances are Your Name is going to win both Media Arts and the Jap academy awards. All in all 2016 was good for anime movies.
But YoI is a shitstain with atrocious animation that shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph as KonoSekai.

No. The animation team of Kimi no Na wa is a superstar team. Just look through the credited names and you'll see that you're wrong.
Even Koe no Katachi had better animation than Kono Sekai.

MAPPA?

MAPPA is a studio, not a person. It doesn't have hands.

Even worse, MAPPA is a revolving door studio.

He should

Media Arts Festival is more likely to give it to an indie or foreign animation than Kimi no Na. Kono Sekai *could* win the Grand Prize but will probably get Excellence

Did i say write and create? Do you not understand what drew means, ESL?

We were talking about art/character design which was very generic in Kimi no Na wa. Also the character acting in that film was incredibly lackluster considering the staff involved, Koe no Katachi was a lot better in that regard. Garo movie's Ohira cut blows everything in Your Name away as far as general animation goes.

It's not even that impressive visually.

That's certainly true but I think he was saying "looks like a better movie" rather than "looks better animated."

Kono Sekai is the most likely pick for Grand Prize, I think.

Saw Koe no Katachi in Scotland, it was good but very average as far as visuals and animation go, I wouldn't even call it movie-level. Haven't seen Kono Sekai but it looks low budget as well.

Media Arts is either giving it to Kimi no Na wa or KnK. They gave it to every Hosoda and Ghibli movie before it and Your Name is on that level. Or A Silent Voice because in the interview of the excellence award they gave to Yamada for Tamako the guy said that her next movie should get the award. Kono Sekai winning the grand prix will be surprising.
But hopefully Katabuchi gets a chance at Annecy

Having watched it both in Germany and in Scotland(thanks EU) I disagree. The cuts in both scenes where the guy is running for the deaf girl were done on ones clearly and were breathtaking. Also the Sahara introduction cut was great. Everything else was top notch but those scenes really stand out.

Kono Sekai is quite literally low budget. But I think we can expect it to be beautiful, in the vein of Princess Arete.

No other mainstream Japanese animation has a chance.
Ghibli has only won twice and not since 2001; somehow Kaguya-hime didn't even get Excellence. Hosoda has only won twice and not since 2009. And Shinkai isn't even as talented as Hosoda, much less Takahata or Miyazaki

I'm a big dum dum. I was talking about the Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year.

Well, they did pick that Doraemon movie I still haven't seen instead of Marnie in 2015. Thanks for reminding me to watch that

Stand by Me Doraemon Is the best 3D movie the Japs have ever made. It's so touching.
Also all the 2017 awards nominees are better than the 2016 winner.

I believe you. Don't understand Japan's love affair with Hosodashit