Mc wants to be stronger than main girl to "protect her"

>mc wants to be stronger than main girl to "protect her"
Do you enjoy this trope?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BV6hkW1bgmo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on how it's executed, but mostly not.

No, it's irredeemable garbage

Nope.

It often ends with the "tough" main girl often being a damsel in distress and giving unwarranted shit to the MC for saving her thus ruining her character.

>Attempt to conquer the universe.
>Kill millions of people in the progress.
>All to protect your sister.

Reinhard goes fucking hard body.

Protecting someone's smile is a great trope. You should probably pick another hobby if you can't enjoy it done well.

I want a guy and girl couple that can both kick ass together. Combo attacks and tactics.

Love it. Call me a traditional faggot but I love the hero growing strong to protect the maiden,

Depends.

Is the mc the typical high school fuckboi that we tend to get nowadays? In that case it's bound to be shit. Chances are he'll pull incredibly lucky critical saves out of his ass on a consistent basis without actually bettering himself in any way, shape or form, giving way to some god-awful excuse of character development. I mean it'll work for cheap harem shows where none of us really care, but you could pull of just about anything you want in those shows.

Now shit like this is when the trope can actually shine.

That being said, I still enjoy the trope's reverse more, even if main girl doesn't successfully protect mc.

As other anons have said, it ruins a good female character for fucking nothing, if anything it should be like a competition
>i can be left behind, i must get in the same level of X
And what not
But "muh protect her" is annoying if she can protect herself in the first place

the last time I enjoyed it was when shirou was faced with the hypocritical nature of his desire to protect and had to come to terms with himself.

It's usually not that satisfying since most shounen have the prerequisite of "the hero is never wrong about his ideals" and the entirety of the universe agrees with this assessment meaning it'll be one dimensional schlock.

What is he, a retro Lelouch?

Have a (You)

that logic specifically doesnt make sense to me
instead of thinking about it as becoming strong enough to protect someone, you think about it as becoming stronger than them to protect them

It feeds the fantasies of beta teenagers.
So, no.

God bless you, I'll spend it wisely.

Where's the super powerful couple that gets married in order to protect each other at all times?

The first that comes to my mind is Kenichi and Miu

>mc is weaker than main girl
>trying to beat main girl countless time and always lose
>main girl respect mc even though he always lose
>someone humiliate mc
>main girl defend him
>main girl bumps into someone as strong as her
>spends more time with him than with mc
>eventually they both get married leaving mc all alone

How do you feel about
>Characters have abilities that they can't even use if they get separated

If it is the other way around, yes

Only if he successfully becomes stronger than her but fails to protect her anyway.

But men should naturally want to assume their biological role. Why should I not enjoy a confirmation of this, generally speaking? Of course, execution is what matters. Any trope can be mishandled. And typically this shows up in stories based on the premise that the natural is an assumed negative, or purposed to upend traditional roles, which means the story is already pretty much trash.

>mc want to protect strong/magical main girl
>he does almost nothing

Subaru is fucking unbearable MC.

Has this ever been done?

If it has, it would probably be the most rageworthy thing ever.

This is the worst in fate stay night, with a japanese boy wanting to defend king arthur, shirou's inner monologue was easily the worst thing about the vn.

It wouldn't be rage worthy if the MC kept training. If he's fighting the girl not because he likes her but because she's legitimately strong then it wouldn't be sad if she shipped with someone else.

This.

All of this.

It is the absolute worst hell.

It would be rageworthy if we're going by the theme of this thread.

Kind of it depends on the series or not, it can range from really dumb like ReZero or good like Fate. Also the reverse is great like Witchcraft no Second Season Works.

Not really, it's a blandly generic motivation for a romantic side plot for one thing.

What's more if the main girl is already strong then she can probably protect herself anyway, it's unrealistic to be motivated to protect someone who's strong. People only get motivated to protect things that are weaker or more vulnerable than themselves.

It also often leads to the main girl being reduced to a weak, crying vulnerable piece of crap for the MC to protect. Which kind of kills the point of introducing the character as being strong to begin with.

If you're going to have a vulnerable love interest who needs protection then write a vulnerable character, don't write a strong character then deliberately shit on them until they're comparatively weak and useless enough to need protection.

No I fucking do not. I know I'll probably get accused of being some feminist or sjw or whatever just for saying this, but is it so bad to just let a female character be able to handle herself? Does she have to be forced into a stupid position of vulnerability just so the male MC can save her and turn her into his submissive blushing moeblob waifu? Can you not explore anywhere beyond the most cliche possible romance? Hell does it really have to be a romance to begin with?

Never really got into the Fate series, what was so bad about the MC?

White knighting moralfag to the 11th degree.
Gets involved in a magical battle between revived historical heroes with godlike magical powers. Gets the most powerful hero of all as his partner. Constantly insists she stand back and let him fight against the other godlike heroes (despite barely being stronger than any normal human himself) because "hurr girls shouldn't fight I I have to protect you".

Not to mention the part where this actually works out and the entire show frames his actions as being correct rather than framing his actions as being ridiculously fucking stupid (because that would actually make sense).

Came here to say this.

I do enjoy it. It is a totally natural impulse on a man's part to want to protect his woman, and it's satisfying to watch if well done. A big part of the appeal in Japanese-written works for me is that many of them still acknowledge these traditional gender roles.

>MC wants to get stronger just because he wants to feel superior to others

just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right

>repels deadly assassin
>protected village from magic dogs
>saved Rem
>lead an army and slayed a giant whale which terrorized the lands for thousands of year
>considered as hero now, bff with Wilhelm, even Crusch wants him

Emilia is doing jackshit, while Subaru is doing 99% of the heavy lifting.

I suppose. I've always wanted to see a story like The Way of the Gun, except in this case it's the MC with nothing left but a will to become the best of die trying.

Only if MC is also female.

>mc is paid to pretend to be weaker than the main girl
>so she could continue to indulge in this fantasy where she's the greatest fighter ever
>mc always have to make her faint, destroy everybody in sight and wake her up telling her that she did all of that

You must get a ton of pussy

Even the strongest princess needs her knight

But Touma could easily beat her up in a fight.

Not if the fight was waking up on time for midterms/finals. 1000% certain his clock would break or he'd get temporary deafness and sleep through the whole thing.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you got me!

She tutors him

>powerful chick knows she's stronger than the MC but still wants to be rescued by a dashing hero

If Fate is the main girl, does Nanoha count?

It just doesn't carry the same connotation.

It depends. Does the MC want to get stronger because he's a dead weight and puts the main girl in danger? Sure, why not. But if it's done just for muh mamoru then it's utter shit.

>rather than framing his actions as being ridiculously fucking stupid
But it does?

Are there any series where the girl starts and stays stronger than the guy and takes the dominant role in the relationship?

Sounds like a femdom show.

Medaka Box

Only if he fails

>FemC thinks she is the strongest
>fights enemy more powerful than her
>Male companion who never fights destroys him

The 2D world is perfect and idealized. People who project their biases and anger over real women into 2D are clearly just failed bitter normalfags trying to jump on the 2D train only after they failed with 3D.

I like it.

God no. Because usually the way the writer goes about it is less making the MC getting stronger and more making the main heroine get weaker

This. At core, dude wants to be useful.

yeah but even if you change the concept to something as simple as "I want her to be able to rely on me" or "I don't want her to fight alone" you make the hero keep the desire to be strong without making the heroine seem weak which is generally the problem

It's great went subverted and taken to extreme as in Re:Zero or Fate route.

People realize Shirou has screws loose, right?

I have no problems if people aren't just mad the hero saves the heroine and conveniently forget all the times the heroine has helped/saved his ass.

You should probably reread it then. Shirou is clearly lost on you.

People in this thread come off as secondaries whom haven't actually read the VN so they just regurgitate things they have a surface level understanding of.

Shirou is a great example of how this trope could be mutually beneficial to both the hero and heroine.

These.

It's less THAT she needs her ass saved and more HOW she needs her ass saved combined with the heroes progression feeling unearned

No but I enjoyed this.
>Heroine wants to be stronger than the MC to "protect him"
>Literally fucks the MC before leaving him without a word to train in the mountains and become the fucking sword KING
>MC thinks she dumped him and develops an erectile dysfunction from the trauma while at the same time being manipulated by a hobo demigod.

>mc and main girl's power up is their compatibility with each other
>main girl isn't a tsundere
Is it really that hard?

This is some shitty LN, right?

Yes.

It's so hard that it gets canned without mercy.

>Gets the most powerful hero of all as his partner.
Wrong.
>rather than framing his actions as being ridiculously fucking stupid
It does do this.

What's with all these "muh strong independent women" posts? Is tumblr leaking again?

Femdomfags

Oh yeah, that makes sense too.

Have two, treat yourself user you deserve it.

No because that always implies that the MC miraculously gets stronger than the main girl when the main girl starts out miles ahead
If you're going to make an obscenely overpowered waifu then keep her obscenely overpowered.

He could skip that and just form a contract to get abnormally overpowered, we all know how MCs love their contracts.

>Gets the most powerful hero of all as his partner
>King Arthur
>most powerful
Excuse me I recommend you actually read or even watch before you talk about things you don't get

I'd rather have her stay overpowered. What's wrong with being overpowered anyway?

>it's another faggot from tumblr with the Sup Forums boogeyman post
Not even your trips can redeem you.

>>>>/reddit/
No you?

I'm just giving our poor MC here an option.

Form a contract with who? With the main girl? But how can she give you a contract to make you stronger than herself?

With the main villain, he'll sell out his friends for some quick powerup.

Secondaries haven't read the VN so they haven't gotten to the payoff. The first third of FSN more or less bows to the MC's shitty ideals, UBW starts challenging them via Archer (who lived with the same ideals as Shirou and ended up hating his life) but in the end the MC still decides to follow his ideals while still not trying to go too extreme and end as miserable as Archer. Finally, HF completely shits on his ideals and he actively has to abandon them in order to continue the story. The "superhero" ending where Shirou continues believing what he believes paints him as a soulless monster.

>implying the main girl isn't orders of magnitude stronger than the main villain

But the main villain is best girl with the best powers and the most lucrative contract options for our MC here.

Both Mind of Steel and Sparks Liner High are noteably not bad ends, simply 'ends'. And Unlimited Blade Works shits down on Shirou pretty hard, it's made perfectly clear that what he's doing is fucking retarded shit but since it's 'beautiful', it has worth in and of itself since nobody can stop you for living your life for an 'ideal'. Unlimited Blade Works represents the concious decision to pursue a life of the superhero while knowing your endgame doesn't look like Clark Kent but like Saddam Hussein simply because it's a beautiful dream, while Fate represents blinding thinking it IS going to end up like a shonen plot and Heaven's Feel represents throwing away 'the many' for 'the few I actually give a shit about', the implicit acknowledgement that while human lives may or may not be equal, you simply shouldn't care about the many when they have nothing to do with you and sacrifice your own happiness for that. In other words, Fate represents an idiot thinking he's a god; UBW represents someone who understands he's overstepping but wants to go there anyway; and HF represents someone who decides to live life like a human and not on such an unattainably grand scale.

Haven't even watched the anime adaptation, heaven's feel was allright but fate and unlimited blade works was trash.

The main villain is the Antagonist, so she'll never end up with the Protagonist.

Is was only good in Medaka Box because no one could ever get stronger than her.

Just wait until you see the episode where the MC and main girl finally makes it to the main villain's chamber and she kisses him in front of the main girl.

Maingirlfags BTFO

Medaka's power was literally to be a mary sue so I'm not sure that's good
I mean I guess props for making a negative character trait an actual power

Mind of Steel was a bad end. Sparks Liner High was just an "end" since Shirou died at the peak of his heroism, but Mind of Steel is not painted in any remotely positive light. Hell, it's even still called a Bad End. youtube.com/watch?v=BV6hkW1bgmo

Otherwise you're basically on point, I was just trying to note that UBW challenges Shirou's mindset while still not actually altering it whilst HF did.