Jew here. What's the difference between Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox? Which is older?

Jew here. What's the difference between Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox? Which is older?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UA7uodEBpZ0
ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/filioque.html
youtube.com/watch?v=cUDlx7xek-c
youtube.com/watch?v=zilj4Y0VBGI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bella_Dodd
salvationisfromthejews.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Catholicism was technically first, Orthodoxy split from Catholicism because it eventually diverged from the original understandings of Jesus' original teachings. Today, Catholic teaching has been degenerated and subverted, but Orthodoxy is actually much closer to the "orthodox" teachings.

>Joo
GET OFF MY BOARD

lolno

as if
keep living your fantasy orthodog

NB4 Keys to heaven

What does this hand-made infograph trying to say? That Constantinople is the seat of Christianity or Rome?

Catholicism is the original church
as far as differences go:
RC believe in Papal authority and succession
Orthos believe in a patrarchal council
RC practice the eucharist with unleavened bread
Orthos use leavened
RC use latin in the Liturgy
Orthos use greek

also minor theological differences and canons

Don't forget that every pope since Vatican II has been a heretic, in not four centuries since.

And only esoteric RCs use Latin anymore.

>Orthos believe in a patrarchal council
So did the original church, thats why James brother of Jesus had the last say at the council of Jerusalem and not Peter.

who cares about (((kikesianity)))

The Eastern Orthodox split from The Roman Catholic Church for two main reasons.

1). Filioque - The procession of the Holy Spirit from the Son as well as the Father. This is where the line "Consubstantial with the Father" comes from in the Nicene Creed. It was added later on because everything the Father has the Son has. Therefore the Holy Spirt proceeds from the Son as well. We also cite proof of this at Pentecost when Jesus laid hands and breathed the Holy Spirit onto the Apostles

2). Papal authority. The Eastern Orthodox Church felt underrepresented in the Church when major decisions were made. They argue that the Seat of Peter is a position of honor. Not infallible authority. However this is contrary to what most Church Fathers believe.

They are basically the same except that Catholics are probably are older the pope.

That's not how it works... Orthodox is the denomination that split.

Guys don't turn this into a Catholic v Orthodox...

Vatican II had good intent, but you can see where it's taken us. I dont excactly agree with everything Francis (even though his more left wing statments get more coverage) and JPII say/said, but there still they have an overall theme of mercy in their messages.

To piggy back of this post. I believe that the EOC are in communion with Rome. They are a respectable Religion that is almost identical to RCC. I hope that we can unite and become one as Christ intended. God Bless.

>Jew here.
stopped reading right there

(You)
there, take it and leave us

Is there non-Roman Catholicism?

Why do Catholics think they were the original church when it's clear that Orthodoxy was first?

Eastern Catholic(not orthodox)

orthodox are in communion enough said

why does that matter though?

This.

and can this not turn into a Jew hate thread either? Theres at least 40 other threads on this topic.

Plus that is not what we stand for.

>Kike here. What are the differences between the different components that make up a group that I despise so I can use it to divide and conquer?

there are alot and there used to be alot more before they went defunct

Can EO here please explain to me if possible or send me some sources on their beliefs pertaining to the Filioque?

>5 Patriarchs
>1 (Rome) leaves
Yeah, the Orthodox split.

Nicaea III when?!?!?!?!????!?????!??1????!?? !

OVEN DODGER

Eh I think the Eastern Orthodox Church is correct here. The bishop of Rome is honored as the preeminent bishop, but he cannot declares something as infallible without the council of bishops.

I am a Protestant, but am seriously still pondering converting to the Catholic Church. Problem is I cannot get over the infallibility, and the idea that Mary is co-redemptrix.

I cannot join the Eastern Orthodox Church because so many I have talked too take the mysticism to blasphemous levels, and back the holy word to death with their allegorizing dogma into meaninglessness. Origenism to perverse levels.

Notice they also never take prophecy and our Lord's second coming seriously.

Fuck I am in a quandary

Catholicism was earlier and founded by Peter, one of Jesus' disciples who got executed. Orthobros branched off.

greed and arrogance

We both hate you

Retarded

jew got sum

Hello brother. youtube.com/watch?v=UA7uodEBpZ0

Papal infallibility is generally misunderstood. You should take a look into this channel. You may like it

splainin to dew

papal infalliblity is only when the pope is speaking "ex cathedra", or in english, when he is specifically defining dogma. the purpose of it is to avoid the expenditure of organizing an entire council.
The picture should clear up the other part.

Eastern Catholic, Levantine Catholic and there's another that I don't remember, as a Roman catholic you can assist to a mass from these rites since they are in full communion in Rome

myself I would love to go to a Syrian/levantine rite mass but the church is too far from where I live so I stick with my normal Latin rite

Charles the Great wanted to fundamentally change the Christian faith because of his huge ego. The Bishop of Rome, who hated the rest of the Patriarchy, obliged. It was politics and Cathocucks fell for it.

fuck you, Kikes killed Christ, they deserve to burn

They're both equally old, they split in the 11th century over a disagreement on dogma. You'll get constant arguing from both sides as to who is in the right. The real answer is that there is no real answer. The meanings of the Holy Texts and the numerous ecumenical councils over the years have changed the Church quite a bit from the original Church. I know a bunch of Catholics and Orthodox will REEEEEE at me for saying this and insist that they are exactly the same as they were in the 2nd century but I'm sorry that's just not true.

Shit, there's things both churches have changed about themselves that people who are alive can still remember it, and you'll STILL get brainwashed followers of either one claiming that they pray the same way some 6th century Carthaginian farmer did or something

>Eastern Orthodox

Yes/No. Eastern Catholics still pay homage to Rome.

So why did you split away when your Emperor couldn't have his way? Why did your Emperor convert and beg Rome to help? Why did you not understand that our translations were meant to combat heresy and make it easier for the peasants to know and not turn to heresy? We need to unify regardless of the past. We need a united Church more than ever now.

And the Roman Empire wasn't politics?

and what do you follow?

>Catholicism

Can you please elaborate or point me to some sources? I'm glad to look at both sides of the argument.

What is wrong with this? You also have no context behind it. For all you know, that was a gift given to him by someone special. It isn't a sin to buy something nice for yourself. You have to have a serious "gibs me dat" mentality to get upset over a priest owning something nice

Pope has used ex cathedra once since 1870 when infallibility was defined. Pope Pius XII used it for the Assumption of Mary as an article of faith

>Only Catholic molest kids
Anyone who abuses these people should be thrown out of whatever church or denomination and wait judgement from God

>outlaw marriage within the clergy for no raisin
>wonder why all the clergy are kiddy diddlers

Fellas, fellas, lets find something we can all agree on...
>protestants

I don't think that's relevant to the conversation. I belong to either the Roman Catholic Church or the Eastern Orthodox Church, that's all I'll say. But I think I made it clear that in either case, while you can certainly make an argument that you are the spiritual continuation of the original Church, neither side really has the right to say they are *THE* original Church that has existed in the exact same way for thousands of years.

A shit ton of the rituals have changed, but that doesn't mean either Church "quit" being itself at any point.

For 40k that watch looks like shit you could get for 20 bucks at Target.

>Catholicism is the original church
>but they use latin instead of greek

Use of multiple languages and need to define faith because of heresy changed things and our visible interpretation of the bible.

ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/filioque.html

kys kike

>celibacy for reasons of priority and responsibility
>weak men and gays become preists
>sex scandal
>"hurr durr, dis id y we shuld let breists mawyy"
when one or two pilots crash, no one remembers the thousands of pilots still flying

this

I think it is that the Greeks are right, but we emphasized the wording because of Arianism. I believe the Greeks and their Church leaders originally didn't protest during that council but got pissed later (but mostly due to politics).

>imblying language matters because both languages were use during the time of the apostles

>>"hurr durr, dis id y we shuld let breists mawyy"

We should. There's no dogmatic justification for it. It's simply a matter of discipline on the part of priests that should be seen as morally laudable. However, there is no requirement for it anywhere in terms of canon law.

Right now we don't have the luxury to be picky and reject anyone that is willing to be a priest on Sundays when he's not raising his kids. We already give exceptions to Anglican ministers that convert.

>Which is older?
This is complicated. Basically each denomination's catechism claims they are the 'original' Christianity from which the other separated. Even the naming itself pushes this conflicting view: Catholic means universal or common, while Orthodox is pretty obvious (and in Slavic languages the religion is literally called "the right word" or "the right creed").

Brazil is bringing it up or try to at least.

lmao shut up heretic

the NT was explicitly written in greek, not latin

it becomes a bit of a juxtaposition to claim Catholicism is the original root when they switched to a latin translation over the original language

Its not as simple as saying mass, its daily mass, delivering sacraments, being ready when parishioners need a priestly duty. also because of the poverty vows, i doubt a preist could support a family.

If all that belongs to the Father belongs to the Son, why can't the Holy Spirit proceed from the Son?

OP save yourself the time and look at pic related. Both sides claim to be the oldest and both have different reasoning (also expect a lot of dishonesty when dealing with the differences)

except priests are expected to give moral advice to families, when they have no real world experience with marriage

celibacy is honorable, but it really should be optional

Huh. I've never considered this point before. How do Catholics justify this?

Let's say there's a religion. Its holy books are originally written in English. Now let's say that someone translates all the rites to Spanish. Is the Spanish version different apart from the language? No.

does it matter that much

why do people buy ridiculously expensive watches like this (40,000 fucking dollars is insane)
i own two watches. a work watch and a dress watch. neither cost me more than 100 dollars. work watch is a casio g-shock, and the dress watch was honestly a luxury

Some words get lost in translation user

You do not need to have real world, or as you implied, personal experience, to give advice on the subject at hand. A priest has most likely seen and worked on more marriages than you know, and thus would be able to give good advice.

The Vulgate (first bible) was first written in Latin. Pope Saint Damasus contracted Saint Jerome to identify Holy Scripture. The Vulgate was then made canon.

Catholicism is older, orthodox were influenced by Muslims and started smashing their icons and other heresies. They got excommunicated and have been schismatics ever since.

The words that are lost in translation could easily be explained by a religious fellow of the movement (ie a priest explaining how turn the other cheek is to humiliate and not to bend over)

really, all of the denominational infighting in the world doesn't matter as long as everyone tries their best to adhere to what they believe to be the moral law and follow the teachings of Christ

Yes, it is. Because languages express ideas differently, so it is best to work off of the original text to decipher its meaning.

>You do not need to have real world, or as you implied, personal experience, to give advice on the subject at hand
You kind of do in order for your advice to carry weight.

also since i'm here i'll weigh in on the religious debate since i'm currently begoming gadolig
only major difference is the primacy of the roman bishop, and the schism is a horrific open wound in the Body of Christ that must be mended
also protestants gay lmaooooo

Catholicism was first... Orthodoxy split from Catholicism when the Pope named Charmaine King of the the "Holy Roman Empire"
To witch those in eastern Byzantium/Constantinople where like... "WTF!!"... "We are the fucking Romans!!. Fuck You Pope!!"

creating the Great Schism

youtube.com/watch?v=cUDlx7xek-c

>Constantinople
And Antioch
And Jerusalem
And Alexandria

please don't be mean to the orthobros
i pray every week for the schism to be mended and the church of Christ to be made whole

The schism didn't happen with the coronation of Charlemagne.

He was long dead when 1054 happened.

Oh, man, did you see the list of priests and parishes affected by the kiddie-fiddling scandal at the end of 'Spotlight'?

youtube.com/watch?v=zilj4Y0VBGI

I'd doubt there are 'thousands of pilots still flying'. Very certainly, it's not 'one or two pilots crashing' at any rate.

I don't want to be hatin on a kike D&C thread but nigger we kept praying in fucking latin using latin bibles basically since the beginning.
I still love you and consider you to be more worthy of Christianity in these mad days,unfortunately family is catholic so it's not even about tme but i won't die another religion than my great drandpa and those before,if I have to go to he'll or heaven it will be with my family besides me.

Protestantism in general just baffles me.

>KJV is the only truth
>Real Christianity is a collection of books gathered by fake Christians and translated by English poets who unironically believed in biblical unicorns

Read about the great schism retard

please don't conflate protestantism with KJV onlyism

Catholic who went to a protestant school for 9 years. AMA

I pray that the RCC and orthodox unify.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bella_Dodd

RCC is the most organized religion in the world. It's the reason we are targeted and infiltrated.

The scandals break my heart. But any organization this big will have corruption. It is human nature.

>and the idea that Mary is co-redemptrix.

That's not 'de fide'; i.e., not a required belief to hold as a Catholic. It's a disputed question among theologians.

Of interest:
>salvationisfromthejews.com/

>However this is contrary to what most Church Fathers believe.
Like who?