Gabriel Dropout

What does "Who is bringing the kitchen sink?" mean and what does it have to do with bananas?

Was this some kind of crunchyroll translation error? She clearly said banana. What am I even paying for?

Other urls found in this thread:

detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1311691758
tlnotes.com/2017/01/31/gabriel-dropout-episode-4-notes/
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080106083337AAKPVUX
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>durr... this japanese metaphor is too hard to translate.
>I'll just improperly apply an English one. No one will ever notice.

rub-a-dub-dub

Translation error, this episode had several of them. Someone posted a link in another thread that explained what the characters were really saying.

>What am I even paying for?
The ability to watch CR anime in a shitty web player instead of via Horriblesubs with debanding, high quality subtitles and enhanced upscaling in MPC-HC with MadVR or mpv.
>mfw you

not really an error, the translator is just taking a lot of "liberty" with this show

Why is Gabriel so shit? She ruined the whole episode.

I miss the days of TL notes.
Nowadays everyone's all hung up over "muh text covering muh screen" that they they mind that they're getting a shitty translation as a tradeoff.

who cares, if you're so particular about translations just learn jap and if you aren't then what do you care

It seemed kind of awkward and didn't make sense to me at least. I know of the saying that someone takes "the kitchen sink" on holiday with them when they take a lot but nobody would say that in relation to going to the beach.

It's about principle and not spreading ignorance.

I am tickled pink!

Its not stella no mahou tier, yet.RIP.

Even though I don't know any Japanese, I can still spot bad translations when someone misuses metaphors.
Good translators need to be proficient in English first and then Japanese. If your english skills are garbage, how can you properly translate metaphors or figures of speech?

>paying
>crunchyroll
You've allowed this to happen.

>paying
haha

principle is throwing pearls to pigs

That metaphor isn't kosher

A great way to learn Japanese idioms is to watch anime or read manga with good T/L notes. The best translators are people who have a passion for Japanese language and culture and enjoy sharing the intricacies with others to help them become proficient.

>paying commie for localizations

i remember when they did it for free

yeah whatever, don't pay them then, no one gives a shit about your complaints filthy english only pleb

Perhaps you'd need native speakers on both ends of the equation.

Jap native -> English with translation notes -> some native speaker to fix things up.

This reminds me of that Gamergate garbage in the Prison School dub.

just take language lessons you lazy faggot, it'll take you like 10 years to barely watch anime when you could just spend a year learning japanese properly to a degree where you don't sound like a fucking retard

>Unconsciously learn stuff every Japanese child would know.
In the end you become familiar with Japanese culture.

(Unless someone translates idioms.)

So what this was the best equivalent to whatever Japanese idiom Satania used that the translator could come up with?

Idioms are more culture than language

then there you go dude, just read what satania's joke was about
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1311691758
oh right, it would help if you actually spoke the language wouldn't it

It's a lot more logical to watch anime raws nowadays.

TL notes got a bad rap from overuse in improfessional ways, either to explain weebspeak that could easily be translated directly, or for other bullshit like explaining what "debris" means, which lead to the era of overlocalization and finding excuses to awkwardly avoid standard vocabulary like "tsundere". Used sparingly to explain genuine "lost in translation" lines, TL notes are perfectly acceptable.

There's a difference between spending a year to learn japanese and finding good translators with TL notes

>Japanese person had to ask what the saying meant even though they speak the language
Really made me think

>tfw pani poni dash came with a whole pdf explaining all the jokes, puns and references taht didn't fit in TL notes

well yeah one is easy to do for anyone the other one likely doesn't exist
that's how idioms generally are, just because you've heard "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" that doesn't mean that neccessarily know what is the exact meaning and background of it

>Food analogy

A lot of those are replacement for cultural reference jokes from the original.

tlnotes.com/2017/01/31/gabriel-dropout-episode-4-notes/

>paying

It sounded more like a super obscure one that required personal experience. I hate bananas and never eat them so even if I was Japanese it would have gone over my head unless I'd heard it several times before.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and most other idioms you can make sense of even if you've never heard them before.

you can always find idioms explained on yahoo answers, or whatever faq site people use in the certain country, japs generally use yahoo answers
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080106083337AAKPVUX
I've heard the banana joke before, it's just some fucking meme dude, if you get it you get if you don't you don't, it won't really contribute to your knowledge about a "culture" just adds another stupid meme that you recognise

>What am I even paying for?
>paying
>buying anime

you're doing it wrong
also the english idiom is something like "bring everything except the kitchen sink", meaning that you've packed everything you can think of. I think it fit rather well.

>crunchy roll
Kys yourself

At least I give back to anime.

>At least I give back to investors and the one percent.

ftfy

>At least I give back to anime.
Kun Gao thanks you.

日本語を勉強したまえ、そして自由となれ!

It's literally translated by a translation group called "HorribleSubs" what did you expect?

>HS translating anything

>he doesn't know

I'm pretty certain user was being ironic.

I kinda miss waiting for subs, trollsubs, karaoke and shit like that. I never thought I would. Only fansubs I download now is for Urara, I think everything else I watchis simulcasted. Or and eraser for LWA.

i almost never sympathize with the autistic objections to artistic license in translation of idioms expressed on this board, but this particular one really didn't work.

It's a well known idiom that goes something like "bring everything except the kitchen sink". Even I know this, and English is my second language.

is this a better translation?

It's more accurate but nobody would ever know there was supposed to be something funny.

They didn't even try to translate the meaning though. Just put in any dumb phrase people might use as a cliche when going on a trip. Could have just as easily made the line about sunblock or something.

The fuck, just because its a well known idiom doesnt mean it is fit to use as a replacement in this particular banana reference that turned into a staple school trip joke in japan.

Maybe the fucking subs could have mentioned the snack budget?

>Do Bananas count against the snack budget?

Nah. That would have been stupid.

Nobody cares about your fucking Kitchen sink.

Translate the fucking idiom correctly or let it be.

They could've said something like "who brings the banana flavored sunblock" or something like that to dupe people that can't really understand japanese. But it's pretty fucking clear she audibly says "banana" and they don't even make the effort to trick the audience, which is 99% of translation work.