Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society

>Another former Facebook executive has spoken out about the harm the social network is doing to civil society around the world. Chamath Palihapitiya, who joined Facebook in 2007 and became its vice president for user growth, said he feels “tremendous guilt” about the company he helped make. “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works,” he told an audience at Stanford Graduate School of Business, before recommending people take a “hard break” from social media.

>Palihapitiya’s criticisms were aimed not only at Facebook, but the wider online ecosystem. “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works,” he said, referring to online interactions driven by “hearts, likes, thumbs-up.” “No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth.

>In his talk, Palihapitiya criticized not only Facebook, but Silicon Valley’s entire system of venture capital funding. He said that investors pump money into “shitty, useless, idiotic companies,” rather than addressing real problems like climate change and disease.

theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761016/former-facebook-exec-ripping-apart-society

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tdz4DvDG_gg
youtube.com/watch?v=e9dZQelULDk
vimeo.com/242569435
youtube.com/watch?v=PMotykw0SIk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They do it for the likes, we do it for the (you)s. Not much of a difference.

the real question is how can we step up /po/'s game to facebook level?

I left social medias because I hated society, but you're telling me that in order to destroy society, I should have subscribed to FB ?

delete facebook

deleted 2006 bought the stock though

>rather than addressing real problems like climate change and disease.
Wait what how is that even related, guess people cannot stay on point these days.

Its kind of true. The pointless information spewed out everyday is ridiculous. Cooking vids, memes anything really. I can go onto a comment thread on any video/picture and find someone arguing about dumb shit. Its data overload and people are starting to snap.

Social media operates to centralize social engineering. Of course its gonna be shit when it fuels narcissism for ad revenue.

Yeah, why would a venture capitalist invest in disease ? weird proposition.

>No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth.
And I'm sure here he is referring to the Russian bot narrative and complaining that people are not mindlessly following the anti western propaganda that is put out.

>These former employees have all spoken out at a time when worry about Facebook’s power is reaching fever pitch. In the past year, concerns about the company’s role in the US election and its capacity to amplify fake news have grown
suuuuuuuuure i bet he's concerned about all the right things

I read about this yesterday. He actually says he's not referring to Russia specifically, but that it's a global problem.

anyone one have the original picture that was used for this?

That picture is pretty hot. I love seeing vapid whores treated like objects. Artist name?

Huge difference. (You)s are procured by being provocative; likes and upboats xd are acquired by being tame and feeding into consensus.

All day long on Sup Forums I hear about how no one should care about "shit skins" and they should all be gassed.
Now a shit skin says something that reinforces your beliefs about society, so you praise him.
Sup Forums in a nutshell.

The modern woman.

Attention is attention is attention. congratulations, winner.

(You)'s arent the same as likes, you can get (you)s by saying anything, as long as it produces some kind of reaction from others. This means that it promotes everything equally, as long as its relevant. This is why Sup Forums is a window into the collective unconscious of the west, it shows what it really thinks.

I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO NOT BECOME A DEGENERATE TO SOCIAL MEDIA. Don't use it.

I like the way you put that. Interesting way of looking at it.
Have an upboat Yuri.

You're not the west tho

>you will never pose for a picture with God

Not at all. A like or a downvote or whatever takes not time at all and requires no necessary action beyond a reflexive response to something that confirms or counters your personal biases.
A (you) requires effort. If you disagree you're forced to reply, even if it's with just an image, you put your argument out there to be heard. Similarly, if you agree it requires more than a simple left click to express your agreement. Therefore, when you hit that reply, you know you're committing to something, even if it's just banter or shitposting for the lulz. At the end of the day you feel it is worth your time to actually engage in the conversation. Add in all the cars and streets and signs you have to click and it can be a bit of a chore to give someone a (you).

There's really no question about it. There may have been a brief period when social media was benign, I'd like to think of it as up to 2012 or so, but now it's become a godawful scourge and abomination responsible for our sectarianism. IT feeds envy, which is the deadliest sin, it hypercharges people's inclination for ideological isolation.

Shit will at some point in the future serve the same function as the Rwandan radio station for the Hutus.

>by being provocative
or pic related too

It's like we get likes for hating each other instead of getting along

the only reason to use social media is for business/money making

facebook is gay too because you cant go over 5k friends, such bullshit, not business friendly

>“No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth."

This is basically the tragedy. The original intention might have been to actually communicate and help each other but now it is all about exhibitionism. We collectively somehow are responsible for this I feel.

This is why I genuinely feel anonymous discussion with simple formats (like this place) is where things are closer to reality and people come and talk actually (Although Sup Forums is immersed in contradiction but atleast we make fun of ourselves)

Here’s a (You) for your effort.

The only society breaking things I see are fakeness, depression, and the formation of echo-chambers.

Fakeness: Many people project a fake image of themselves on social media. They upload photos of themselves at their best while they are doing fun/attractive things.

Depression: Many look at others social media and compare their fake life with others’ fake lives. If you arent having as much fun or living as good a life as the one they appear to have, jealousy and depression may appear.

Echo-chambers: Since most like to feel good and rewarded, they close themselves off into groups of like minded people. They block or ban users who they disagree with and keep those who they do agree with and those that make them experience positive feelings.

This all comes together to create really fake lonely people who are trapped in echo-chambers, and it any substantive destroys discourse and hinders genuine connection with people.

Line is pure western faggots.

Well, i would say that russia is part of the west, but its certainly not part of the first world.
Well, if you choose to take it really far, you can say that this property of Sup Forums is literally chaos magick, lots of occult synchronicity between Sup Forums and a lot of irl shit, shit like Sup Forums crashing planes with baneposting for example. But well, you are going into the loony territory right there.

Also, this property of Sup Forums doesnt make any less dangerous for individuals. It is probably even more dangerous, considering how chaotic this place is. This shit is fucking scary.

(you)s feed on high energy, not popularity. One of the big reasons Sup Forums punches well above it's weight for wider influence.

Reminds me of these animated short videos by this guy Steve Cutts

youtube.com/watch?v=tdz4DvDG_gg

youtube.com/watch?v=e9dZQelULDk

many such cases!

He isn't wrong. However this is pretty minor stuff, if compared to the other stuff like the invasion and incompet or corrupt elites.

I posted this in the medieval thread, which I believe is relevant:
In addition, this only gets worse because companies' business model is to make people dumber and profit on this. The dumber people get, the better you can feed them shit, the more money you get from them digesting your shit. We have started, because of technology, a regression spiral leading towards complete inculture and retardedness.

This. Social medias have been in decline for a long time. I mean who the fuck even cares about Facebook or Twitter anymore? Regular websites and chatting programs work way better. I was always against social medias and I'm glad if they start to die.

Good thing I'm immune to that shit

Sup Forums is one person.

Interesting. Here is another based one. It's not only about the social media aspects though.
vimeo.com/242569435

we're all just anon5 talking to himself

>witnessed

>(you)

No. (((You)))

Here is the full video:
youtube.com/watch?v=PMotykw0SIk

Only halfway into the video. It's very good. The music is too.
Man I cannot tell you enough how much this whole thing concerns me.

>Muh climate change, muh disease (which is a good thing to deal with niggersprawl

No not really. Facebook was ubiquitous since at least 08.

>beta jew with no friends
>beta jew wants friends and pussy
>beta jew make a website
>make it popular by jewing people
>has to be the luckiest jew after Larry Silverstein
>thinks he is the next sliced bread
>thinks he's gonna become prez
>oh shit nigga I need the shekels
>put ads
>oh shit nigga I need shekels
>puts in place processes so you hate and comment more
b-but it's destroying society
b-but muh shekels

Glad you like it user. Indeed this in very concerning, hopefully staying awake and talking (but mostly acting) out will help, with time.

You know user, you're right, I'm going to get off this anonymous social interaction website as a result, I hope more come to understand the wisdom in this post

You might think it's dying, but the hyper normies I used to associate with seem to think it's better than ever. They don't share their own thoughts and opinions though, that is seen as awkward. It's all about sharing click bait articles, or video clips, and memes that you think other people will like. The idea is to get likes that validate the producer of the product, but maybe you can pretend that it means people like you.

It's border-lining on a subhuman existence.

By slowly redpilling them about papercraft and origami.

Read filenames.

And then of course we all have that friend who post's random lyrics from shitty rap songs, usually to try to confuse you into thinking it's their own status. It's always some emotional bullshit like

"I feel like life isn't going anywhere anymore, I feel like no one loves me anymore"

-Are you ok bro?

-"Lol, it's a song dude"

Yes by acting. In my day to day life.
Humanity is at a precipice and your video covered all the ugly manifestations of self centered activity of humans.
Thank you user.

Deleted my Facebook account about 3 months ago, been there for 4 years. Only after some time off you actually realize how stupid and infantile all of it is, grown men and women doing the most ridiculous stuff for "likes" who don't really mean anything. (((Zuckerberg))) is a fucking genius for putting and making the entire world addicted to it.

He is right. Anyone with a balanced and open heart has been able to watch this ripping apart happening for years.

fpwp. You lack insight.

i hope kimmy does an EMP strike on us

Thats true.

>be facebook
>illegal opinions start to surface
>delete everything to quell dissent
>"its destroying society"
Translates to: our version of reality is being questioned

what is that image

does Sup Forums count as social media? If more people were exposed to Sup Forums it would rather fuse society together.

>He said that investors pump money into “shitty, useless, idiotic companies
I think he's dog whistling Tesla in that statement.

this is why if we actually wanted equality HR would be done blind using numbered applicants, promotion would be done by merit data and everybody would hate it just like they hate Sup Forums

i can only imagine the workplace unable to screen social ability and relatability

Convenient for him to say that AFTER making butt loads of money at Facebook.

Good post mate. Have a (you)

This bitches face pretty much sums up social media if you ask me.

"I know what I've got, I can see what I'm worth.... time for you to prove to me that I should fuck you"

Women have been completely ruined by social media. I don't care if you are the Chad that fucks them all, even you have to be catching on by now that these women are narcissistic whores.

women value has went up, and thus even fat girls geel entitled. It's really something.

Almost counts. And Sup Forums is an echo chamber, it doesn't help

there's no echo chamber here. all the pussies who leave is because they cant handle truth

Sup Forums represents the alt right

It used to be more diverse before trump brought out the inner autists of this board and drove off moderates

No it didnt cause Im still here

This guy is right but no one wants to admit it

(You)s are cancer too and the one time they were briefly removed the vocal shitposter minority REE'd out of control until they were brought back.

ECHO CHAMBER MY ASS YOU FILTHY NIGGER, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE CRYPTO JEW, I WILL MAKE SOPA WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Not hard to delete your facekike account.

Dumb ass people are ripping society apart.

He would only seem correct if you are a moron who has only recently began using Sup Forums.

Deleted my kikebook a few months ago, it's so much better this way. Next step is getting the fuck off this board for good

I don't even come here anymore. The same 10 Trump autists that live here permanently screech at you if you DARE dissent about their rapey "lord emperor" is enough to make you vomit.

I've been on here for 5 years faggot. Come up with something new

The true truth is accepting that there will be uncertainty, and that conspiracies hardly ever turn out being real

No, pol doesn't represent the alt right. Pol is about decentralized dissent and anonymity. The alt right is an artificial controlled op movement used to honeypot dissidents.

He ain’t wrong. Facebook was only decent right when it came out. Its now a cesspool of baby mama drama, shit talking, backstabbing, and SJW virtue signaling for cucks. If I see one more person with 100+ baby pics I’m going to snap. Seriously what happened to meeting people in real life? Too hard for normies apparently.

Sorry kikebook but myspace started this cancer.

Thing is, baiting gets obvious. Even if it is bait, the key trait for receiving (you)s is to be interesting. We don't like repetition, facebook normies can't live without it. We constantly hunt for new things, facebook is a giant hugbox safespace including authority figures to monitor behavior, while mods have abandoned Sup Forums. Facebook is to Sup Forums what Lord of the flies is to Froopyland.

Oh yeah, all those janitors spending 24/7 so nobody gets to see any kind of upsetting opinion

Moderates have shitty arguments

And you still don't know what an argument is? Jesus christ in heaven, the 56% low iq memes appear to be proving themselves.

Those digits...

>We don't like repetition
*memes autistically ad infinitum*

>Facebook is to Sup Forums what Lord of the flies is to Froopyland.
I'm sure you meant the other way round

social media is the artificial intelligence in creation

((((Climate change))))

Did I though?

I don't know why anyone uses that shit when it came out that they are doing behavioural manipulation on users. It's like people forgot that you can just txt, call or talk to people in real life

>alt right
Depends how you define it