Your name

It was good but it wasn't THAT good

5cm/s and Garden of Words are still better

no, it is his best yet
The body swap romance concept is interesting and accessible, It's got a nice twist, proper conflict and resolution, characters with some depth you can care about and some energetic direction at least for the first half then it becomes a little more sombre

5cm/s wasnt THAT good

Garden of Feet isnt even good at all.

Your Name is a masterpiece.

I ain't ready to watch something romantic, I might curl up on the floor and just wait for el Muerte.

I didn't think it was a master piece either but I did watch a shitty DVD rip. Maybe I'll appreciate it more in its intended quality

But keit-ai was a masterpiece?

The only thing in which Your name wasn't the best yet are the visuals since they're better in Garden of Words, and even then, just barely. There's no contest in terms of everything else.

I just don't even care, it's not spice and wolf s3

>garden of feet
alright i fucking laughed desu

It's Shinkai's most enjoyable work yet so people rate this higher but Garden/5cm are both better thematically. They both kind of feel mature while this feels like a fairy tale. Still the movie captures the feeling of adolescence and feeling of longing and nostalgia perfectly.

His best work imo. Overrated for sure though.

I don't think I believe you because there seems to be ample evidence otherwise.

5cm/s was really underwhelming.

5cm/s is garbage.

Garden of Words is only good for the feet.

Your name is by far his best movie, I went in expecting to not like it but I was pleasantly surprised.

5cm is shit tho
Garden of words is ok
Your name it's probably its best, although it's not a masterpiece at all.

The meme made me watch it.

Just finished watching it after getting a spoiler (which in the end wasn't even important).

Pretty enjoyable, altho the last 10 minutes with the whole "ooooh, will they meet? Y/N" tease got very aggravating. I get the point, but it's kinda designed as a last resort to make sure you are pulling at the viewer's heartstring.

Overrated? More like people overracting, but there's no doubt it's a fun movie. I actually want to rewatch it already.

I want to watch more of this romantic shit. Recommend your nigga something comfy

My problem with Shinkai is that he does not know how to build interactions. I see a lot of people praise Garden, but the couple's relationship is so superficial. More ridiculous is the director trying to make it seem like something immense and profound all the fucking time.

>It's a "something becomes popular and Sup Forums hates it" episode again
rmyt

Watch in theater

It felt kind of underwhelming for me because the body swapping scenes during their adolescence was glossed over. I understand that doing it too much kills the experience but it felt weird that the movie which specifically sells you a body swapping romance to gloss over it and focus the rest of the film in the time fuckery

Well I feel Your Name is Shinkai's best work. I also feel that The Place Promised in Our Early Days is his second-best work, and is far better than 5cm and Garden of Words.

>saying it's overrated means you hate it
Fuck off

Go watch 5cm again. The animation and visual direction is great but that's it.

>shinkai threads
>not a single person mentioning hoshi no ou kodomo

KEK

Well yeah, that's because that film is basically just Shinkai ripping off Miyazaki

Fine you faggots

OFFICIAL RANKING DONE MOST OFFICIOUSLY

Beyond the Clouds
Kimi no Na Wa
5cm/s
Children who Chase Lost Voices
Garden of Words
She and her Cat
A Gathering of Cats

Your Name
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Voices of a Distant Star
Garden of Words
5cm/s
Children who Chase Lost Voices

fixed

Real Shinkai Films ranking:
Beyond the Clouds
5cm/s
Garden of Words
Voices of a Distant Star
She and Her Cat
A Gathering of Cats

Shinkai pretending to be Hosoda:
Your Name

Shinkai pretending to be Miyazaki:
Children Who Chase Lost Voices

>still no Oscar

Eh, is Beyond the Clouds really that good? I don't remember much from it, it's been like ten years.

Nobody cares about those jew masturbation awards anymore.

I was bouncing in my seat for the last few minutes. Genuinely thought they might just go their separate ways.

>anymore
They have literally always been a joke.
>Movies that didn't win Oscars
Taxi Driver
Dr. Strangelove
Shawshank Redemption
Clockwork Orange
Vertigo
Psycho
Blade Runner

And finally
> How Green Was My Valley over Citizen Kane for best picture

Fucking how

I just watched the 720p rip with some buddies and what the fuck. It's actually Keit-Ai.

Why the fuck is the girl alive in the end?

>Shawshank Redemption

Forrest Gump was way better and you know it.

>Why the fuck is the girl alive in the end?
Presumably she just got up and walked to the school offscreen after her dramatic tumble down the slope.

>5cm/s and Garden of Words are still better
Agreed. Not trying to be a contrarian but I definitely felt like his previous film was better. I think Your Name. could have been a lot better if they spent some minutes to show Mitsuha and Taki falling in love instead of making it so sudden in the film.

>Blade Runner
Fuck you, that film was an insult to the original novel. It might have deserved something for production design.

But best picture, director, actor or adapted screenplay? Fuck off. Get the fuck out.

the pacing was far to sluggish with very little story to keep me interested
the characters weren't particularly interesting or engaging either
if the story was told in another way it would have been better because there was some interesting stuff in there