Lupin III

Lets have a thread to celebrate the release of Lupin the IIIrd: Blood Spray of Goemon which will be released in Japan on February 4th. It may even be out now since I don't know what time it is in Japan.

The story will feature Goemon as the main protagonist as he goes head to head with the main villain nicknamed "The Bermuda Spectre". The film is a sequel to both Jigen's Gravestone and the Fujiko Mine series. Koike returns to direct it and the story is written by Yuuya Takahashi.

Here is the interview with the director and cast. There are no subs so it's only good to watch for all the new clips that has not been shown prior.

youtu.be/T9Cjfb4zFpM

as well as the official trailer and some footage of the movie.

youtu.be/c0XOK7C66hs
youtu.be/89S86bg3EOY
youtu.be/UTyfM_FVZM8

also as a bonus, here's a link to get previews of the Goemon movie soundtrack.

good-beat.com/album/lupin-goemon/

I will be Posting new screenshots of the movie throughout the thread. Feel free to discuss anything related to Lupin. You aren't limited to just the new film. It is the 50th anniversary ff the Lupin III franchise after all, so think of this as more of a general Lupin III thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HKvndpIJ1BA
youtu.be/ZEMg1fSDUXs
youtu.be/SXiOw8OznK8
youtu.be/BOdEGGK5VG0
youtu.be/-kqn2KoloUs
youtu.be/k4hgnMvEQIg
youtube.com/watch?v=dvaosZlQqrY
youtu.be/EUv41Pmn7wY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably should of posted the superior updated version, but it's too late now.

Is all of Part 2 worth watching?

I think so but then again I am bias. It's fun episodic adventures. You can also make the argument that most of the best episodes happen during in the second half so If you've started, you might as well finish.

The Goemon film. has some beautiful art.

From the looks of it, he wears no jacket for most of the film. Also from what I hear, Blue Jacket makes an appearance and has appeared on some promo art.

anyone?

no one is excited?

>posters: 2
look i love lupin as much as the next guy but maybe stop making it so obvious that you're paid to post here

>stop making it so obvious that you're paid to post here
you honestly think I'm being paid? Who exactly do think hands me money to come here and talk about Lupin of all things? I do it because I love this shit.

I have a giant thing of lupin, what's worth watching past the first season?

second, third, and fourth season obviously, but here's a list.

dont even bother if you havent watched the 1st series though.

Looks like the thing I have is missing 4th series and possibly In Memory of Walther P38 (unless it's Island of Assassins [Walther P38])

And Jigen's Gravestone.

Walther P38 is Island of Assassins. Still don't know why funimation went with that name. It really is shitty.

Jigen's Gravestone is also great but people overrate it in these threads. You could buy the BD for like 20 bucks.

4th series is was literally AOTY.

it's official guys

If no one is interested I'm just gonna sleep.

So its out in Japan?

>Posters: 5

This is really sad, considering how the Lupin's trhead went at the time of Bluepin.
Well, i must say the quality (of the threads) is also lower nowdays.

There's a disconnect with people who post on this board and the series

I think one of the biggest contributors to this was the weird release history for the Blue Jacket anime which resulted in no weekly episodes to build up interest and instead just a dump of episodes that likely were only downloaded by those already interested.

So all these posters, especially younger ones, with little or no experience with the series who follow seasonal shows have had nothing Lupin related to follow since Fujiko's series which was probably one of the most divisive Lupin entries.

There are a large amount of generals too which often have posters who stay contained to them and don't follow many other series

I feel like Mine Fujiko had some pretty good highs but also some low troughs. The good stuff is great, but everything else not so much.

well there's a difference between a weekly series and a theatrical film which none of us will even be able to see for a little while. It actually makes sense there isn't much talk on here.
The series itself isn't really all that divisive. It's generally really well received, it's only on here when people wish to exaggerate things. The lowest point of the show is the main narrative which just wasn't all that interesting in the end. It was cool and had some potential but at the end of the day, we watch Lupin for it's episodic stories and not Fujiko's history. With that being said, there are still episodes that still follow episodic storytelling. It had some amazing episodes like the 1st episode, Jigen episode, Goemon episode. Phantom of the Opera, Ghost town, and the episode where Lupin and Jigen save the mute girl who was all tatted up. That's enough for me. My only real nitpick is how they portrayed Zenigata. They stripped away his bumbling personality and the relationship he has with Lupin which made him such a great character. He was too serious and didn't really seem to do much in the show. To be fair though This version of Zenigata makes sense whereas bumbling Zenigata would not fit in this universe. It also makes sense because the series is a prequel to green jacket and if you remember, Zenigata was pretty serious for the 1st dozen episodes or so in green jacket so it does kind of make sense that he would be a lot more serious in the prequel. With that being said, that's my real complaint. The main narrative just doesn't bother me because it doesn't really take away from the things that make the show so good or at least for me. In the end the main storyline wasn't bad, it was just meh, while the rest of it was very good with fun episodes, amazing art, great animation, fantastic music, and it's an overall fine addition to the franchise. Plus without it, we may have never of gotten Jigen's Gravestone and the Goemon movie.

Why exactly was Blue Jacket's release so messed up anyway? I heard it aired in Italy first or something and then Japan later.

but fansubbers didn't bother with it until everything was out

That really killed the opportunity to create a new generation of Lupin fans among English Westerners who watch series on their computers, like the vast majority on this board.

>Think oh hey i might watch lupin
>See literal mountain of material and turn away confused

At least gundam has an entire board of autism to guide you.

>Why exactly was Blue Jacket's release so messed up anyway? I heard it aired in Italy first or something and then Japan later.
Italians love Lupin and apparently they were the ones that funded the show. i heard some anons said that wasn't the case but Tony Oliver who voices Lupin in the red jacket and upcoming blue jacket dub stated that it was the Italians who put in the money for the show which is probably why the show takes place in Italy and aired in Italy 1st. The japs really didn't market all the show that much. I guess maybe they felt like they didn't need to due to the fact that it's Lupin and they weren't putting a whole lot of money into it themselves anyway.. The show still made money regardless.
>but fansubbers didn't bother with it until everything was out
fan subs are shit and people who watch them instead of being patient are faggots. Also I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't know the show was out due to the marketing.
>That really killed the opportunity to create a new generation of Lupin fans among English Westerners who watch series on their computers, like the vast majority on this board.
so? None of these underage faggots will ever go back and actually watch the old series so them not seeing it doesn't bother me. I personally plan on buying the Blu Ray when that comes out sometime this year, and so will the people who actually give a shit about the series. Also I hear there's a good chance of the dub showing up on Toonami at some point so if you're worried about western folks seeing it, that's their chance.

Gundam is mech garbage though..

I just noticed this thread. I'm lurking this thread. I remember a similar thread to this a few weeks ago (or months?). Did you make that one too? The one where people debated how to pronounce Lupin.

>It actually makes sense there isn't much talk on here.

Even back when the series was just annunced these threrads had more life

>Italians love Lupin and apparently they were the ones that funded the show

It was a co-production
I was a bit worried, considering the last Lupin co-production was the jap-french Lupin VIII.
But it went well

There was a debate about Lupin's name? Are people retarded? Any Lupin fan knows it's pronounced as Lupan or Lupon depending on how you're pronouncing the o. I don't see how people can have trouble with something so simple.

Has anyone subbed that interview with koike about the new special yet?

doesn't look like it. would be nice though. Have no idea what the story is. something out a heist gone wrong on a cruise ship.

Well no offense but fansubbers are a big deal when it comes to many people discovering and watching series, and it isn't just underage kids. The sheer volume of media out there is staggering and discovering it somehow on your own purely by buying whatever you may come across or see on tv means a lot would be missed out on, including possibly this series for example.

You're not gonna be able to start a thread to talk about almost anything unless there are resources online to watch or read it easily, and if a series isn't ongoing with weekly or at least monthly releases it becomes even more difficult

Subbers rufused to use the italian episodes and as a result there was no weekly episode here.

>rufused to use the italian episodes

Its not like they "refused", they simply didnt speak italian

Love Koike, but he's getting on my nerves with his idea of music for his Lupin shit. Don't like the idea of him replacing Yuji Ohno's jazz with whatever funkrock shit he's been doing. I guess he's trying to do something similar to the original series. I don't know but it's not clicking with me well. We don't even get to hear Lupin's theme at all. I'll forgive him though if he ends the movie with Lupin Putting on his green jacket though

youtu.be/HKvndpIJ1BA
youtu.be/ZEMg1fSDUXs
youtu.be/SXiOw8OznK8
youtu.be/BOdEGGK5VG0
youtu.be/-kqn2KoloUs
youtu.be/k4hgnMvEQIg

The Blue Jacket series was fun. Bummer we probably won't see Rebecca ever again.

Not to mention they literally say his name in the theme song.

it's really a shame Blue Jacket had a really shitty time slot in Italy
also goddamn you have the money for 26 ep but not for an original OP that isnt just scenes from the anime put together?

Italy got a raw deal then, this is the Jap OP

youtube.com/watch?v=dvaosZlQqrY

>Mfw people actually thought Blue Jacket took place after cagliostro.

>but not for an original OP that isnt just scenes from the anime put together?

Actually italy used to do that for all the anime
The real shame is the song of the OP tbqh.

I was about to say. He;s complaining about the fact the OP uses images of the show rather than the fact, the Italian OP is some of the worst music ever created.

One Cagliostro reference is ok, but instead they put it all over the place.
And when finally in the OAV they finally go to Cagliostro's place, its not the castle but the original prison.

>Blue Jacket had a really shitty time slot in Italy
Not really, at first it aried at 21.25 and then it was moved at 23.00. That means they really tried to push it by giving it a prime time slot like films instead of putting it in the usual kiddie slot and call it a day. It was moved because it bombed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still can't let go that fucking OP.

They should have used the original fisarmonica or a remix of it.
Instead they choose a singer that is loved by the teen (i think at least), but not by the adult audience, the ones that watch Lupin. They did a huge mistake, thank god the series was good

>OAV
you mean Italian Game? From I hear, there' was only like 25 mins of newly animated content. Is that one of the scenes that were added. I'm also trying to figure out what prison you're talking about. You mean the underground shit Lupin and Zenigata get stuck in?

Well its only the Italian version, so it's not like it really matters.

Also I'm seeing a lot of good reviews of Goemon... I think. These translations are pretty crazy.

>23.00

And actually at this time every saturday italia 1 airs some Lupin movies, tonight is Moeyo Zantetsu ken, maybe some italian user didnt knew about that
Last week they did the one where Lupin stole the fucking Lady Liberty with a giant balloon, i must say i removed that one

>it's not like it really matters.
It matters to me. I love the other italian OPs and EDs but now this thing is part of them.

You should watch it, it's a standalone story that takes place during some of the part 4 episodes (it start with the train one)
The prison is the actual real life prison of Count Cagliostro

That's pretty cool. At least our shitty show schedule still respects Lupin,

wait you actually like the italian music they give to Lupin? I found most it to be pretty shitty. I do like the piano version of this though.

youtu.be/EUv41Pmn7wY

The actual song is pretty shit to me however. It just sounds like really stereotypical Italian music.

>wait you actually like the italian music they give to Lupin?
Well yes, I actually like them. You have to account nostalgia on my side too since I've been listening to those since forever.

Was the Monkey Punch interview included in the jap realese and subbed? I watched that in Italian and haven't checked.

>Not really
yes, really
even if it bombed they should have put it in a more decent time slot
also they changed the time slot 4 times

Never heard of what you're talking about.

The italian ones and the original japanes are literally the only ones i like
But i consider Fisarmonica the best

>they should have put it in a more decent time slot
They gave it the best time slot possible because it was Lupin but once it bombed they had to move it. That they afterwards chose shit timeslots means that the share was shit. I don't blame them for that.

>stereotypical Italian

If anything, it sounds like a stereotypical french music, which makes sense, i guess.

There was a special episode consisting of a Monkey Punch interview, off stages and random stuff about Lupin in the culture. I saw that only in italian so now I'm wondering if it was a special for the italian edition and others are missing on it.

Wasnt there a boycott campaign on facebook for the fact that they choose Moreno for the opening? God the world is full of retard posers, in the end who cares about the OP

iirc he spoke about the long story of the italian love for the series, so probably it was italy-only, i remember they aired it before the series started

>Wasnt there a boycott
That's news to me. What a bunch of retards, they already had "won" with that petition.

I see. It's a shame because I remember it contains a lot of random info which is interesting for every Lupin fan.

nostalgia-idiots, i remember all the prasing for that alternative fan-version on youtube that was just a really bad copy of the part 3 opening
("They put the Uh-Oh in the song, what a clever reference!")

>This fucker is 80

Is he the Stan Lee of Sup Forums?

I don't know about Stan Lee but he looks actually based. He vetoed any change to the classical Lupin formation since the begininng, otherwise we would've ended up with things like Rebecca taking way more screentime.

I was talking about the fact that Stan Lee outlived most of his generation colleagues, geez, he even outlived some of the generation after him.

I'm looking for some old release of red jacket to watch in a CRT. For some reason the BD looks like ass (while green looks great) and I was used to watch Lupin in old TV's.

>to watch in a CRT
I've done this with a few shows too, I have a small CRT telly around, it really makes watching old shows even more fun.

Just wondering, is Lupin's pervertednes a quirk for certain seasons or is it an integral part of his character?

It always been there, maybe part 4 has less of it

It was there since the concept.

I have a big one in front of the bed, I watched there all old anime without new releases.

>The series itself isn't really all that divisive. It's generally really well received
Nope. Granted Sup Forums tends to shit on everything its not that this series is a shinning diamond in a sea of shit that breathed new life into a franchise more like an experiment gone wrong that caught the attention of idiots who praise it for nothing else but its aesthetic than its execution.
>Phantom of the Opera,
That episode of boring as hell (which would make sense since it focused on Fujiko) and had Zenigata trying to kill Lupin which is a big no-no.
>This version of Zenigata makes sense
Not really, everyone else retains their exact same personality while Zenigata is this hardass who doesn't laugh while most of the bumbling is done by his sidekick Oscar.
>. It also makes sense because the series is a prequel to green jacket and if you remember, Zenigata was pretty serious for the 1st dozen episodes or so in green jacket so it does kind of make sense that he would be a lot more serious in the prequel.
He was not all that serious in those episodes of Green Jacket , hell he wasn't all that series in another prequel series Episode 0 he also didn't have sex with Fujiko so this Zenigata was either a byproduct of Okada or Yamamoto's own stupidity or a mistake in itself because there's noway they can make such a huge miss with a character like his yet get everyone else right,
>while the rest of it was very good with fun episodes,
Every episode that doesn't focus on Fujiko or the plot...so like 5
>amazing art, great animation, fantastic music, and it's an overall fine addition to the franchise.
Yet another mouthbreather from ANN and MAL
>Plus without it, we may have never of gotten Jigen's Gravestone and the Goemon movie.
Koike was already working on a Lupin project before Woman Called Fujiko was announced , those would have still happened regardless of Woman Called Fujiko plus neither Gravetone or this latest one even reference that series.

It's just a different take on Lupin, it was good for a change imo.

It's doing pretty shit in the box office sadly. Barely made it in the top 20 on its opening day.

In the manga he rapes some girls

Am I the only one who liked Fujiko Mine? The episodic or 2-parter stories were the best, and the reveal was a bit shite, but I still think the style and execution make it certainly worth watching.

Really Zenigata is the one thing i will never forgive to that series.
The only good episode i can remember is the one where Lupin and Jigen work together for the first time
And they used Goemon well, and they tied with the Green Jacket series just fine

That's a shame, i received some tweets of guys with the movie's poster on their hands, i thought it was going fine

The manga largely humorous with brief instances of dark tones kinda like a black comedy. I'm not sure where so much misinterpretation that Woman Called Fujiko was more in the style of the manga than any other installment when it veered off too far and became something un-Lupin and too serious for its own good.
>Am I the only one who liked Fujiko Mine?
Lots of people liked it it just wasn't good. Hell there's no reason to watch it when you have the vastly superior Jigen's Gravestone and the Goemon film anyways both of which retain the same style of that TV series but didn't get caught up in the same bullshit.
>The only good episode i can remember is the one where Lupin and Jigen work together for the first time
The standalone Jigen episode was good (though its hard to fuck up Jigen episodes since they're always good), their second encounter in Egypt was also good even that weird "dream" episode was good despite the fact that it was tied with the Owl bullshit. Really the worst episode is the Cuban episode since not only is it an ugly ass episode but its once again just a boring Fujiko focused one (the only good Fujiko focused episode was the lesbian boarding school one and it was mainly because of Oscar)

>Goemon film

I'll wait before saying that this will be good. The animations will ofc be top tier, but im worried about the story, Koike did good last time, but i think his edginess will eventually fuck some of his creations