Can't Japan go into fantasy without Hero, Maou and adventurers guild?

Is Dragon Quest an object of worship or just don't want to bother with original content?

Yes FF and DQ are object of worships for fantasy.

There is nothing wrong with a Demon Lord and Adventurers Guild though since they are just tropes that sometimes are used as crutch. The real problem with them is that they aren't fully developed and fleshed out, you always get the skin of them, but none of the flesh.

For them fantasy=Dragon Quest. Meanwhile in the West The Lord of the Rings is still the standard.
Guess who makes the best fantasy stories?

The one that you don't like.

my taste > you're taste

>There is nothing wrong with a Demon Lord
Agreed
>and Adventurers Guild
Meh, it's usually very poorly handled. Written as a copy of video games "adventurers guild" it just doesn't make sense.

Good ol' times.

Both.

I think the concept of the Hero, the Demon Lord and the Adventurers guild is not bad itself, all story needs its hero and all fantasy world needs its particular Sauron.

Problem is how lazy are japanse when using this elements, it's "The Demon Lord" and...that's all, he doesn't have an actual lore or background or anything its just the the Demon Lord that wants to wipe out humanity. The same way the Hero is the choosen one, the savior, since minute one, he doesn't even earn that title, he's just "the hero".

Same thing with adventurers guilds, as element, is armless, a place for mercenaries to reunite and get info about works? That's fine, but then again usually doesn't have any real concept behind it, its just "the adventurer guilds" and adventurers have ranks, its just an easy way to powerlevel and to put the characters into quests instead of creating situations where the characters get involved into the quests.

ITs more a problem of presentation than concept.

LNs/manga are very rarely written by educated individuals.

Most of the time they're written by nips whose highest education is high school or some college and oftentimes, they're neets or otaku.

Neets and otaku love anime and video games so this is the kind of shit you end up with. Same reason why it's the loser who always ends up getting the girl(s).

>Yes FF and DQ are object of worships for fantasy.
Dragon Quest did some interesting things.
Final Fantasy was a giant AD&D copyright infringement.
>There is nothing wrong with a Demon Lord and Adventurers Guild though
Classic 'Dark Lord' v. The World scenarios can be done well pretty easily.
Adventurers Guilds are gameist abstractions taking on new life as lazy writing.

Is this a thinly veiled rec thread?

Search around and you'll find quite a few older anime that aren't like that.

At least few of them don't go into full on game mechanics fantasy world

Hero and Demon King are just Protagonist and Villain. Adventure stories tend to lean to that dynamic.

Adventurers Guild, though, that's a bad DM crutch to get all the heroes together and with a purpose.

Well said, user.
The problem isn't the concepts but how they're lazily used, mostly as an excuse to save the effort of doing world building.

>Is this a thinly veiled rec thread?
Considering nobody gave rec, if it's one then it's a failed one.
We know that japanese fantasy isn't just what OP described. But right now the majority of it is just that.

Japan, burgers can't even make burgers.

Bell is looking kinda evil there

Maou is okay. Fucking LotR also had one.

Hero is trash though. It's a retarded concept.

Burgerland isn't the West.
Is was thinking more about Europe. A lot of great fantasy works are made there.

>Fucking LotR also had one.
Middle-Earth had two. Sauron was Morgoth's underling, before Morgoth fucked off.

Most of big bad guys are long gone in LotR.

Burgers have some good fantasy books like Wheel of Time too. Also some novels written for D&D are pretty cool.

Yeah I know but I still think most of the good fantasy is done in Europe. But then I don't read that much of it.

>Wheel of Time
>Good
That shit is as generic as your every day fantasy shonen manga. Three books was more than enough for me.

Writing original and good is harder than writing just good and is harder than writing good enough..

Even harder is writing good, original, and making it sell.

This, reading some light novels feels like reading middle schooler homework.

Reading shit like Overlord, or even better, Youjo Senki feels really good because it's something more than
>mc sees this
>mc says that
>mc does this
>mc thinks this
Easy way to check how well written LN is to check how hard it is to translate.

I love fantasy and I love even more when fantasy and sci-fi are combined together.
On the other hand, in these light novels they put RPG elements, skill systems etc. It's silly, but as someone who always had fun with theorycrafting in RPG games, I find this amusing. Sadly, most of these with RPG elements are shit, like Atelier Tanaka. Konosuba is funny but poorly written.

I don't care so much for the typical japanese fantasy cliches. What I do hate is when a fantasy story relies on video game mechanics for world building. That shit is lazy and unimaginative as fuck.

The way I see it it's like how generic fantasy stories have generic elves and dwarves. After all, the point of trash fantasy no matter the origin is to reiterate the same old tired world building, perhaps with a twist if the author feels ambitious. It's not like as if "some wizard appears and gives you a quest" or "some dude in a pub hangs around all day to give the protagonist a quest" is any better than an adventurers guild. Nowadays most Maou-Hero setups aren't just cardboard cutups in any case.

TL;DR

Post sexy devil

I liked Maoyu though. I liked the focus on economics and that sort of stuff instead of big epic fantasy battles.

The ending was satisfying too. Hero fuck got both girls.

The same reason why sci-fi is pretty much dead, most of fantasy books are time wasters, something you read because you have 1h off in train every day and book is cheaper than microtransactions, so nobody actually bother.

>Hero gets both of them and they're fine with that

Lucky bastard, it'd be nicer if Maou had actual horns and a tail, though

>a year later and the final two volumes are still not in english
FUCK

I felt sick to my stomach when I tried to read this in one sitting after no chapters for a few months, my god so much words and the topic just went right over my head.

I know the feeling

YOSHIHIKO

W-what are some good fantasy manga then?

Garo was good and didn't have any of those.

If they do, it targets the chuu2 audience, which makes it less popular with the majority that looks down on that stigma.

I liked Legend of Legendary Heroes though.

Post used goods Demon Peasant.

>>>wsr

>Fucking LotR also had one.

But he had an story

The Adventures Guilds is nothing more than a state-ran PMC with loose command and control abilities.

Literal self-explanation.

I actually really liked the anime but god is the LN written poorly.

Garo was the best High Fantasy anime we had since Guin Saga, precisely because it didn't have DQ bullshit on it.

Saw the movie not long ago, was glorious.

garo isn't fantasy rpg genre though.

I want a 12 episode series about npcs watching adventurers from afar. Not like longingly wishing to be them, but making comedic comments or thoughts that get ignored by the heroes/adventurers. Like a farmer watching someone leave to kill kobolds everyday, and trying to give him advice, which he doesn't listen to, until he overheard him repeating his advice and saying "that's what I've been saying the whole time!!!"

the closest we got to something like that was probably bikini warriors

Yeah it fucking sucks.
What's worse is when a fantasy world has game rules for no fucking reason.

I didn't watch that because it looked like nothing but fanservice.

it is. but it does have a few moments where they make jokes about the rpg elements like girls getting "armor for girls" instead of regular ones and dungeons and raiding people's houses for items and somehow finding everything you need. in there..