I've never understood why people call Shinji a pussy for the beginning of Evangelion

I've never understood why people call Shinji a pussy for the beginning of Evangelion

>be abandoned by fucked up fad
>get called in to see Dad in top secret base
>see UN fail to destroy an abomination of a monster with all its fire power
>find out you're the last line of defense as an 8th grader
>Only one who can use a fucking high tech "robot" that no one has ever seen before
>only other person who has used something like it is comatose with a mostly broken body state
>have to learn as you go

Even if you were to argue if he did actually remeber seeing it that would include the moment his mother tried using it

Then during the first time

>falls to the ground unable to pilot the robot
>Breaks Eva's hand and it feels as if his own hand is broken
>Gets pierced though the head numerous times
>Loses control of "machine" and just just brutally beats the angel
>The angel tries to self destruct on you
>you wake up in the hospital
>>>suddenly doesn't want to picket Eva again
>>>>Fans: what a fucking pussy

Never understood this for the beginning of the show

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=imTBE_m93Qc
desuarchive.org/a/search/image/Z_lMGSd_H8_LDr0-_GIoVg/
youtu.be/vWtXKoKIQuE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I've never understood why people call Shinji a pussy
Because self-insertion.
NGE needs to be watched with a different mind-set from shows that it superficially appears similar to.

Eva was a failed deconstruction, that's why

Anno wanted to mock the mecha genre and fans didn't get it. He made it too mind numbingly cool for them to stop and think, so then he made the last few episode and EoE.

Is it that uncommon to like people who actually are a bit grounded in the world?

Like I thought Rossiu was a "fine" character most of the time.

>Is it that uncommon to like people who actually are a bit grounded in the world?
The point of my post was that it was unexpected. Most people don't pick up NGE for what it is, but because it's incredibly well-known. Those anime fans usually watch stuff like SAO, they are not planning to analyze the motivations of the protagonist. They just want a power fantasy.
>Like I thought Rossiu was a "fine" character most of the time.
Rossiu was not grounded in the world.

Yeah I have to say Eva was on my bucket list for awhile. I wasn't sure if it was a thing that was just remembered well but it does a few cool messages and things. I think the power fantasy was negated by the fact actually fighting shit was usually terrible 9/10 times

Also how the fuck is there a question for best girl if you watched the show. Obviously Misato

*when not berserk

I think people that can't empathize with Shinji are legitimately autistic

Anime fans hate shinji because they see too much of themselves in him

That was the whole point of shinjis character.
Eva was a deconstruction.
Mecha anime was a genre that exploded in popularity in the anime scene, and it was always glorious tales about friendship, and heroics and how you can do anything if you believe.

But Eva seemed to be based around the premise "these otaku; these modern japanese males who shut themselves off from the world and spend time self inserting into mecha anime thinking they could save the world, all while struggling to sort out even the most trivial problems in their own real lives. What if they ever got their wish and ended up in that position"

Obviously, no one wants to think they are like shinji, the snivelling coward so removed from all the other mecha heroes.
But they are. And that's why seeing him is so offensive to them.

The only good thing to come out of Shinji's whininess is Asuka's assertiveness, which is incredibly hot.

>Obviously Misato
user, this is Waifu County, you either like Asuka or Rei, there's not middle ground.

And Shinji is too "real" for a many people, that's why they shit on him so much.

>and it was always glorious tales about friendship
Is this a pasta?
youtube.com/watch?v=imTBE_m93Qc

>Also how the fuck is there a question for best girl if you watched the show. Obviously Misato
same, when i finally got around to watching this i was baffled as to why the other two became a meme in the first place. one's an annoying teenager (not an anime "teenager", but actually a 14 year old) and the other's not even a character

They call him a pussy because they're mad. It's like TTGL Simon without Kamina or Nina or Yoko to cheer him up.

He's shriveling pile of waste while Misato bleeds out and Asuka gets ripped to shreds. Then he finally gets up but it is too late.

What is to be expected from the audience? To sympathize with "oh woe is me", or get angry like Asuka and upset like everyone else getting fucked over because of Shinji's inability to man the fuck up and abandon reason.

Once you learn more about people you truly emphasize with other people you realize that nobody is really good or bad or at least you shouldn't try to be. If you put yourself in a box with these personifications of yourself that may or may not exist yet in reality then you end up not being a human being but a character playing their part even if it's horrible you still try to justify it as just being you and others are to blame.

>Not grounded
Not him but after Simone disproved the gunmen=god thing, rossiu became the voice of reason, and only one thinking practically, while everyone else was "muh willpower will let me find a way out of the impossible"

Doesn't man up. Doesn't defeat the monsters on the power of his fighting spirit. Can't even drills.

What a pathetic loser.

Finally.
Rei just appeals to the betas who just want a girl submissive enough that even they would have a chance with her
Asuka appeals to the other betas, who want to be trodden on and dominated in the relationship,but still be loved- the masochists-

Misato is clearly the best girl for non faggots

Why does Simone basically turn into kamina at the end? I mean just look at him

I love this image so much.

haters btfo

>Rei
>Submissive

Anno gave her too many short moments of personality for her to ever be a literal doll. Those moments construct a vague enough being for otaku to create their own persona waifu fantasies where Rei has a personality, and it's the exact personality they want. They just ignore all the parts where she's, you know, submissive, and focus on the "Rei Aesthetic"

Tldr: Reifags don't even like Rei.

Let me start by saying that Ayanami Rei isn’t even really a person. She’s a monstrosity made out Yui Ikari’s DNA. The connection between her and Shinji Ikari comes from Shinji being interested to her smell because it reminds him of his mother and the fact that his father is giving her positive attention instead of him. Her personality type in the original anime was a response to the love of typical emotionless and submissive anime girls, and why something like that wouldn’t work in real life. Both the manga and the movie versions replaced that with Shinji straight-up warming her up and making her more human than either her, her in-show clones, or the thousands of direct copies of her in other popular anime.

Rei is by far one of the worst girls in the show, maybe even just in anime altogether, because that was the point of the character. She’s the choice of people who want to escape from human interaction and want a pet to mold however they see fit..

Honestly I think it's because of mother complexes that people like her, I can't think of her as anything more than a mom and nothing attractive as a woman.

>implying wanting a girl like Asuka is beta
The appeal of a dominant girl like Asuka is that it's a refreshing change of pace because normally you're the dominant one in every relationship.

Reifags will never understand how exhausting that is because reifags are all naturally submissive betas who are only attracted to Rei because she's the only girl that is conceivably more submissive than they are.

Misatofags are ok in my book, but Asuka is the true patrician taste. Rei is for plebs only.

So I'm watching Evangelion for the first time and am I supposed to hate Asuka?
Because I don't, so far she's my favorite character maybe I'm being premature but she's awesome.

Anno said that Asuka is only hated by beta males who can't handle strong women

you're not supposed to hate anyone

Yea I guess, I'm nine episodes in and every scene she's in is gold.

Makes you the odd one out then. That said, this guy: is an incurable autist that reposts the same pasta hundreds times over:
desuarchive.org/a/search/image/Z_lMGSd_H8_LDr0-_GIoVg/

He's known as "the fireposter", or the "asukafag autist". His sthick is projecting Asuka's problems onto Rei. He makes up some nonsense about Rei being some sort of negative stereotype, while that was the case for Asuka instead.

I know I've seen that toilet Rei image over a dozen times but I was just stating my opinion

>Reifags so butthurt by the truth that they go and use an archive to look up pasta

Because they are faggots.
It's one of the few animes that actually has believable and deep characters. Of course people who are used to characters being shallow enablers of the plot won't get it.
They'll say things like "Man I would totally pilot a giant robot and fight monsters!" when they in the personal lives have never done anything resembling, and probably would be unable to even if they wanted. It's like a person saying "Man soldiers probably have a lot of fun at war, why isn't everyone a soldier? What a bunch of faggots.", complete idiocy.

He is not ripped
That's why he is a pussy

do people even watch past episode 18 in this show

getting resolve to pilot the robot isn't even the main thing in shinji's character, that was all falseflags that get crushed in episode 19

I watch eva as one of my first anime experience. i.e 3 years ago.

Initially I was not into the idea of watching a Mecha show, Im a Sci-fi guy liking films/ concepts akin to forbidden planet/Alien, ectra. the idea of mecha was too far a stretch for science fiction to my taste, However while watching eva, the way it presented its world, and the characters; encompasses what I want form a science fiction story ALL IN ONE. from large underground facilities, the city's infrastructure, the calculated way the nerv facility operated. overall discussion of the meaning of self. It has everything i want to see in a sci-fi setting. not much else compares to it. Its a shame it was soo short.

So you mean if Shinji ever fucked Rei he would actually be fucking a genetically modified younger version of his Mother?
Nice~

Not user, not only that but fucking the source of life/God? So Shinji is the NGE equivalent of the Bible's Mary.
I'm going to hell.

I wasn't a massive fan of rei, but Jesus christ Asuka is just a cunt. She was always blaming others for her own problems and lying all the time, Rei truly is the lesser of two evils in my book.

And by book, I mean manga, because I haven't been bothered to watch the anime.

I don't know why everyone hated Gendo. Only guy left out of instrumentality out of the whole planet. That Evangelion really fucking bit him, if you pay attention , you can see his severed corpse in one scene and it's deliberately not turning orange like everyone else.

now i feel like a asshole. sory

Fucked up past aside, most people don't simpatize with Shinji because he doesn't do the obvious thing.

The fate of world is at stake, I'm one of the few people who can do something to save the world I should:
A - Whine about my life.
B - Suck it up, try to save the world and solve my personal matters later.

Most people would pick B, it's the obvious choice, Shinji picks A.

Fans don't really want to put themselves on his shoes and just think it would be easy and not utterly terrifying to pilot a robot to fight against an strange as fuck creature, not to mention the other shit his suffering from.

>B - Suck it up, try to save the world and solve my personal matters later.
The fuck you talking about, he literally did just that.

The problem with Rossiu's character was that he was trying to be reasonable in a world where, and I quote: "muh willpower will let me find a way out of the impossible", is a more than viable way of solving problems. Hell, the only effective weapon against the anti-spirals was the spiral energy. He was literally defying the fact, that the primordial energy of creation does work better than anything else, and it was proven to him and everybody else countless times.

>a simple character arc that can be found in any piece of media
>people still argue about it

are you people stupid?

Shinji does both. Also, If you think most people would pick B, you really don't know people.

Most people have no idea what it's like to have a personality disorder. Yes, even on neo-Sup Forums. It's not something that's easily described or talked about. Even when it's shown in anime, it's usually shown through a joke character like Madao or Zetsubou sensei. For a lot of people, especially younger fans, NGE was the first thing they watched that made them question their existence or sanity. I don't want to generalize, but there is usually a defense mechanism against things like that. There's usually a moment of "I'm not like that.".
Also (and this is one of the things Anno insisted upon), when people look for a new anime, they look for a way to escape their life and their problems for a couple of hours. Eva is like th exact opposite of this. It constantly presents the viewer with personal questions or dilemmas that have no clear answer. It's easier to say that Shinji is a pussy that to consider there might be some substance or reason behind his behavior.

he left a big impression on him, so ofcourse he wanted to grow up like his ''big brother'', like kamina wanted to grow up like his father

I have a sneaking suspicion that the people who think that are the sort of people who would unironically write Gorilla Warfare-tier posts.

Most 14 year old kids would not be very enthusiastic about it.

this

manchildren think shinji is a pussy because they lack self-insight

I feel for gendo
>fell in love with the woman who he was manipulating to get closer to seele
>married the only person who showed caring or kindness to him
>have a child together
>Loses everything dear to him
>every action since spent on trying to get her back
>unable to see anything but the goal of getting his wife back
>need to save the world, use magic space tech and manipulate seele to do so
>fucking does it
>at the moment of triumph, where he should have been reunited against all odds with his wife gets rejected
>by the clone of his wife no less
>loses his arm
>watches his son choose the fate of everyone
>is the only one not tanged
>wife could STILL chose to join him by leaving unit 01
>kills him instead

Gendo is a waifufag.

He was a dick his entire life, not just to Shinji but to everyone except Yui.

just wait for episode 21-24

Anno really loves hands for some reason.

Asuka is one of most brilliant things about Evangelion, this is a great explanation why:

youtu.be/vWtXKoKIQuE

Honestly the people who harp on about best girls and why Asuka is unlikable are the typical surface level idiots who can't appreciate Eva for what it is, pure art.

She's a horrible bitch to basically everyone she meets. She has even less empathy than your average user.

My Ex-fiance hated Shinji. She would always say he's a pussy and he should just get over himself and pilot the mech.

Reminder that Evangelions are not even robots. They are massive cyborgs. The pilot gets injected into their spine, and their piloting chamber is filled with its blood. (It smells like blood and tastes like blood any everything.)
They then start linking their brains with its own resulting in a hyper-sympathetic relationship (dubbed synchronization) where what one feels, the other does also, which is bad since the giant cyborg is fighting death aliens that love to fire explosive laser blasts and assault with deadly slashing limbs.

Shinji was only mildly reluctant to pilot Eva the first time, typical of being faced with a frightening new situation. After actually doing it, he was very reasonably terrified of doing it further. Because it sucks. It is not like getting in a giant robot.

Good thing you dropped that pleb.

>he should just get over himself and pilot the mech
When will people understand that he did exactly this on multiple occasions until being mentally destroyed?

Eva is largely about how difficult it is to escape your sins, and as such cannot be properly appreciated by people with poor conception of their own.

Asuka is legitimately mentally disabled

aren't we all though?

Because people who are as deep as a spoon are constantly reinforced in their belief of rational rules that govern the world by entertainment media, and billions who would argue about that don't have the opportunity to discuss — or watch — anime.

Fun fact: "spraying water" can be written in Japanese in a way that can also be read as "spraying cum into Misato".

Kaji is pure, he has only had protected sex with Misato

So he uses watermelons as a contraceptive device, by putting halves of the fruits in side Misato as a heavy duty cervical cap? That explains everything.

Exactly. Millenials are dialectically challenged. And people who like to think about things and hear interesting questions sometimes aren't the sort of people to watch anime.

Because he is a pussy compared to other mecha pilots
>Be abandoned by dad
>Takes it upon himself to go see Dad in secret base
>See Zeek scum fucking shit up
>Decide to get in the giant robot you've never seen before and have no idea how to pilot
>Other people can use the robot because he isn't a some faggy Gary Stu
>Had to learn as he went
>Knew he would eventually die by operating the robot does it anyway

I never realized how similar this is to Kill la Kill and Senketsu

Something no one ever seems to see is how Shinji grows as a person even before Asuka being an emotionless bitch. I think Rei is supposed to show what Shinji could have been if he didn't live with Misato or get friends which slowly warm him up and make him feel proud for piloting Eva a bit more, highly underrated aspects of Shinji's life

Like fuck when Beserk 01 crushed 03's pod like holy shit that was hard to watch

Plebeian's such as yourself need to be crucified in front of your family.

Rossiu was cool because he was a very level-headed, realistic leader in a world where the heroes can win just by believing in themselves. As president, he took whatever path he believed was the safest and best for the people. He only got shit on because the TTGL universe actually allows everyone to be saved even though nobody in-universe knew it at the time. The only thing he really did wrong even from his POV was locking Simon in prison instead of just putting him under house arrest.

Never really saw Rei as a foil to Shinii, but that's an interesting tidbit and I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended. You could even say most of the main cast are examples of what Shinji could be if he took different paths and failed to grow as a person. Rei represents if he cut himself off, Asuka is if he repressed his feelings instead of voicing them, Misato is if he found an easy outlet. Really he handles everything better than most of the adults in the show and doesn't take shit from anyone, thus his internal struggle over piloting Eva and being used as a tool vs rebelling and exercising free will.

Also one thing I liked about the Rebuilds was the aftermath of the Bardiel fight. Shinji being blinded while knowing damn well what's happening and subsequently smashing up HQ was way more effective than him just refusing to get out of the robot.

I really love the adults really aren't any better off than kids are slight moral

Showing that you don't just suddenly change

>being used as a tool vs rebelling and exercising free will.
I'm interested to know if Anno said something about free will on record. Besides what's presented in Eva.

I really do think (prior to EoE rejecting Gendo) Rei was just there to see that you didn't really want the easy way out. She was there to agree, like very early Shinji.

Shinji didn't want to put someone else's life at stake

Asuka saw how she could be replaced

>Gets kissed
This makes it sound like he's a retarded virgin fag.
>Starts Apocalypse but has a change of heart in the middle because he fucking can
That's pretty cool.

Then you think wrong. Rei is there to show you that even if you have all the odds against you, opening up to people and trying to understand yourself honestly helps. Rei is one suppressed individual, suppress by the might of an entire world-spanning generations. Rei simply doesn't have the privilege Asuka or Shinji has for calling it quits. Even if she commits suicide, they can revive her and brainwash her - not even death is an escape for Rei.

That's why it's so important to see Rei grow and face the harsh reality, it shows us that there's hope. That's why Rei symbolizes hope in Evangelion, the hope that people can understand each other.

Asuka on the other hand, exists shows what happens if you just give up, if you choose to live the lie that is presented to you. Asuka had no personality of her own, she had never grown beyond being NERV's soldier doll. Asuka doesn't even like EVA's or find them interesting, but she can't live without them. She is like this because she can't face her own problems, and that's why she regresses into a suicide attempts and catatonia.

>lives alone in an apartment with a very hot and always drunk woman
>never rapes her
He's a pussy

There's a little more of it in the manga, where Yui was the first one with a master plan to be fulfilled years later by a tiny copy of her spouse made exactly for that purpose.

Alright who would win Eva 01 or Base Gurren Lagann

>That's why Rei symbolizes hope in Evangelion, the hope that people can understand each other.
This never made any sense to me.
Rei never tries to open up to people, she waits for Shinji to come to her before opening up.
She never takes the initiative.

>This never made any sense to me.

Why not? Rei saves people, she sits at their bedside when they are hurt, she is a calm island of stability amidst the chaos.

>Taking intiative, not opening up

Not true. It's Rei's choice whether or not she opens up and accepts people into her heart. The initiative works both ways, the point is that bonds are made:

- Shinji takes initiative to talk with Rei, Rei opens up as a result, a bond is made

It gives the viewer hope, because it tells them that talking to people might result yourself or others opening up, making bonds.

But I don't remember any scene where she comes to understand Shinji or vice versa.

And even then, it's just Shinji. She never gets close with any other character.
I guess you could argue Gendo, but I don't think they really understood each other either. At least, there's no scenes showing that.

Are we talking rebuild or OG?

Remember when Rei tried to help Asuka in the elevator?
Remember when Rei tries to talk to Toji on the rooftop after he's been selected as a pilot?

Don't get me wrong, Rei is still Rei, cold, detached, distant and all. It's buried deep into Rei's character that it doesn't want to get close to anyone. As for Shinji I'd argue hat Rei got him from early on. Remember when she visits him in the hospital, and calls him out on not wanting to pilot? Rei seems to understand a lot more than some give her credit for, it's herself she has issues with understanding.

This isn't some cliche shojo or shonen where the characters embrace each other and say "I understand you". It's shown through dialogue and action.

OG, but it made its way into the Rebuilds as well somehow through SDAT-symbolism, despite how it's a Rei-hating mess.

>their piloting chamber is filled with its blood
It's LCL

Reminder that Shinji is straight and is in love with Asuka.

>straight
>in love with Mansuka
What did the trannyfag mean by this?

He is a spoiled kid.
You run away from home only for adult atention.
You cry only in pity for yourself.
He is kid it's understandable.
But man, father finally asked him to do something together it's miracle for most of kids.
You resist pilot eva only to bring atention, when he realised that there is half dead girl who can do that he suddenly accept for position.
If you hate your father don't speak to him be a stubborn child, do pilot things but don't ask him questions.
If you afraid of death say so, ask Misato for help.
If somebodies punching your face after earth saving mission fucking punch in return, get angry, you saving their asses and yet got beat up.
He didn't do shit actually, half of shit was on Rei and Asuka, other on his Mom (Eva unit).
There was no evolution of his character only zetsuboing child the projection of Anno and the fellow hikkies.
When i first time whatched Eva at 14 yo, i worked as odd-jobber at construction for 70 bucks per month, oh God how was i pissed by that bitch.

Why didn't dude punch his father in the face? If my dad did that to me, I would fight, but would kick his ass when I return, for being too much of a bitch to fight on the frontlines himself. How weak a grown man need a young boy and two girls to fight a war for him.

Kaworu >>> Shinji > Rei >>>>>>>>>>>> ASSuka

Fuck off you dumb faggot, no character is better than Rei.

I agree mansuka is the worst though.

Toiletfags in suicide watch.

Sound like a weak father that needs an asskicking. Why didn't he fight if he cared so much. Hell even Cao Cao and Nobunaga braved the front back in his day and when it came time.