What percentage of mental illness is caused by drug and alcohol use/abuse?

There are mental problems that can arise in children from mothers abusing such substances while pregnant. Drug and alcohol abuse can be symptoms of an underlying mental illness, such as depression. It can also exacerbate a condition.

So what? Drugs are bad and alcohol too, what's the point?

My belief is mental illness includes addictive behavior. It's a loop.

mental illness doesn't exist, we develop according to our environment, if somebody is subjected to constant torment by someone/something they will turn out a certain way and that's everybody else's fault not theirs.
these fucking captchas are getting harder and harder, useless gook admin

Are you dumb?

He's actually right, the vast majority of 'mental illness' is rooted in poor life style environments. Psychiatry is a scam too

It's their fault for not resisting the torment enough. I have problem and know if only I was stronger I would not have let my dad leaving, abusive mother affect me. And substance abuse makes this worse, so its not the substances' fault but the circumstances they enter with before they use it, or themselves.

makes more sense than anything else I have heard.
>Psychiatry is a scam too
truth. On a parallel red pill, Auto mechanics arn't also the messiah's our society praise, I watched one for a while, they just guess what could be wrong and throw things at it until it they can't see the symptoms anymore, I always thought they pin-pointed it and addressed the faulty component or something but its very similar to psychiatry, extinguish the symptom (not the cause) with massive tool box and keep chucking things at it until it goes away.

Quite a lot of our society is based upon fraud, assumed competence

I was diagnosed with "possibility of mild autism" when I was 3.

It really fucked badly with my life because of "extra schooling" and taking me out of class to learn useless shit that I could already obviously do.

You can try and explain to them why your behaviour is normal but they'll find any weird thing a child does to label it as autistic.

I remember one time my guidance mentor, showing me a comic of an autistic kid acting like a massive autist. At the end she asked if I could relate to it in any way. I said no, because the guy has serious problems with listening and does things he obviously shouldn't be doing.

She then went on to explain that not identifying or empathising with the character in the comic was a sign of autism.

So if I said I did have autism I had autism and if I didn't have autism I did have autism.

Really makes you think. Anyway, the point of this story is, this diagnosis made me the odd one out in class, teachers always treated me differently and I was constantly patronised. I deeply resent everyone that was involved.

If you ever have a kid and they're diagnosed with mild autism, pretend the diagnosis never happened. I wish my parents did that.

Notice how they don't have objective criteria for the vast majority of these diagnosis. It's all subjective bullshit they can pull out of their ass at any point. They don't check for any biomarkers, they don't provide evidence, just 'oh yeah, this is real, trust us, also here is the expensive treatment for this. Definitely real condition my buddy helps with'

Doing drugs to the point that they affect your life is usually a sign your life was not good enough to want to avoid that. It's almost a universal sign of unhappiness.

Mental illness is just a discrete problem that is correlated with substance abuse because it's identified and classified.

The problem is loving drugs more than life.

>Auto mechanics needing to diagnose a problem that a laymen comes in with is a red pill
Are you mentally ill

>People do drugs because their life is already poor quality
Correct, escapism, but our medical industry is based around treating symptoms not problems. So the massive amount of funds going into 'helping people get clean' ends up with a high turn over rate because the people are just being. Forced to go back where they started, to deal with the issues that made them want to escape in the first place. There is no call to treat the root issue, because the root issue is our rotting society.

Drug don't cause mental illnesses but it can trigger the start of a dormant one.
Alcohol abuse can only cause delirium tremens and Korsakoff's syndrome.
But yeah sadly a lot of people with mental illness use them to treat the symptoms and make things worse.

You can't extinguish the cause of a mental illness because it's linked to the environment and the life of the person, it's not just a genetic or brain problem that you can simply fix.

Psychiatry isn't a scam, you only need to work one week in a psychiatric hospital to understand it. That said the american version of psychiatry is a bad example based far too much on medication and the creation of new diagnosis to make more drugs.

This. Mental Illness is a nervous system, neurological, and hormonal feedback imbalance loop. Extended water-fasting cures mental illness.

Dude there are checklists you go through when you when you fix anything not immediately visible. That's how its always been. The only difference between you and the mechanic is he learned the checklist and has the tools.

I don't think the word addiction is worth using. So is there a chemical addiction like you a die without it, I am addicted to oxygen. Is there a mental addiction that you really want to do this thing again, I am addicted to anything I have previous knowledge of. Maybe it has to be something other people don't like and I do like then it's an addiction, fuck other people's feelings and opinions, that's not science

>So is there a chemical addiction like you a die without it, I am addicted to oxygen. Is there a mental addiction that you really want to do this thing again,

Yes there is two separate types of addiction, physical and psychological

physical is where your body develops a dependence on the drug to function

psychological is just an extreme habit

Warning! OP is a redpill pro-pedo RoyBoy

1. Who doesn't have a mental illness?
2. Who cares?
3. Do you somehow believe mental illnesses can be stopped?
4. Do you actually want people to not be mentally ill?
5. Why do you use a website based on degeneracy, chaos, and weird fucking hobbies?
6. Are you subtly stating you wish everyone was a normalfag?

Same with ADD or pretty much any "mental illness" in a child. Unless the kid is raving insane, it's probably caused by the environment or it's insignificant, best ignored as a personality quirk.

>I am addicted to oxygen.

Definition of addiction: Continuing some behavior despite negative consequences.

You can personally defines it either wide enough to drive a bus through or "only mainlining meth, or herion, any other addiction is for pussies". So it's a useless word.

addiction – a brain disorder characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli despite adverse consequences

Like any hobby ever, and newly any 'thing a human does on purpose more than once'

>So it's a useless word.

No, it isn't

A physical addiction has the possiblity to kill you if you stop cold turkey, this cannot be compared to a "hobby"

>10/10 would breed with

So again, I'm physically addicted to sugar, carbs, fat, protein, oxygen, sleep.

I'm mentally addicted to arguing on the Internet, with trying to get tail in real life, with trying to make some money and then spend it.

if your body has a negative physical reaction to cutting out any of the things you said, then yes there is a degree of physical addiction

>I'm mentally addicted to arguing on the Internet,

this just makes you autistic, not mentally addicted to it

religion is a mental illness?

I prefer the wholistic term "fucking retarded" fucking fucking fucking thank you

believe it or not its actually the other way around. by that i mean, many habitual addicts are already mentally ill, and self medicate to "fix" whatever it is thats wrong. of course long term abuse from some drugs will cause issues like depression. meth for example, will do this, and is also highly neurotoxic in large repeated doses over long periods. mdma is also very bad when over used.

it depends on the drug i would say, but for the most part its the opposite of what u are implying op. many long term potheads and whatnot, do it because it helps with anxiety or insomnia, or whatever else. same thing with people who drink every day. there are obviously different levels of fucked (like the guy who has to down a few shots 1st thing in morning is fucked)...drugs are like guns in a way. they can be helpful or harmful depending on what the person does with them.

One post by this ID

I feel like I'm a fish on a hook that also has alcohol fetal syndrome

90% of mental illness is caused by lack of exercise.

Yeah I came in this thread to try and say something, but OP is a slow fuck.
Fucking alcoholics and drugs users are replying faster than his dumb sober ass.

>N=1

50% of statistics are also caused by exercise, crazy. Maybe that's why mental disorders and the psychology they are backing up on are meme fields. It's not science it's just some dudes with opinions that sometimes agree with each other.

I'd like to think it's just some slow as fuck mouth breather but I'm leaning towards this being a slide thread

If you take a succession of high stress jobs or life choices then your chance of mental illness is increased.

You make an interesting point. Sooooo many kids I knew in high school and shit who were given that label, had their 'condition' talked about in front of them all the time. So the reinforcement was pretty much constant.

Early adolescent boys just want to fit in. Not be known as the autist or freak. It just sets them up for social isolation and/or bullying.

Consider this. A person tries to kill themself. They use a slowish method (hanging, benzo OD) and are found and the EMT's are called. They are taken to ED and revived. They will be then taken to psych where they will be assessed by someone with a full-time job, house and car and all the trappings of a good life.

In my experience, what pushes people over the edge is no longer being able to improve their lives for whatever reason.

Such as, long term unemployment means you have to live in a shit part of town, have to eat shit food if you can afford food at all. Because you live in a shit area you have to encounter other equally or often times worse people. Drug addicts/dealers, petty criminals and of course niggers for those in the US.

So we all have a limit and suicide for some people is a method of regaining control of their powerless life.

Consider the person I was just talking about who woke up in the ED after being revived.
They will now have to spend a few weeks within the psych ward among total freaks. They will have to talk to a social worker about their shit life or have group 'therapy' sessions among other losers to also talk about their problems.

But do you know what the moral of this is?

No matter how much time you spend in a psych ward, you are not able to improve your life. Your life was shit which is why you tried to suicide and after someone with a much better life than you decides that you can go home, you can return to your shit life. THE PROBLEM that caused you to suicide STILL REMAINS!!!!

Sorry for the rant. THE mental health industry is corrupt to the core.

Opiates can cause hypogonadism. Symptoms include anxiety, depression, low self confidence, and apathy.