2008 recession

How was your life during the 2008 housing crisis, Sup Forums?

>be me, 11 years old
>happy as could be
>housing crisis begins
>mom tells me and my 2 siblings we have to move to a 2 bedroom apartment
>get on food stamps for the first time ever
>constantly hungry and became really skinny because couldn’t afford much food for everyone
I remember everyone being so depressed and sad those couple of years
It made me really thankful for what I have today

Thanks for bringing back so many depressing memories you dick. 2008 - 2011 was nothing but worrying about financial issues and parents fighting because of them

>punpun

well there goes my dick hardening ability to this girl

It was pretty bad, some weeks we couldn't even afford food so yeah, fuck it.

Now I'm insecure and every time I have no money in my wallet I feel horrible

Worked in a factory where we cooked potatoes (hell on earth) for schools and shiet did not feel the effects at all.

>inb4 irish

>did not feel any effects at all
I’m pretty sure it only affected Canadians, Americans, and Mexicans

A lot of my friends got temporarily laid off, but i'm sure we were better off than fucking mexicans, yes.

to you it may be housing crisis buble or some shit, to rest of the world it was Great Recession. Fuck, we just started recovering from it last year

I was 26 at the time. Wasn't really affected other than my overtime being taken away and rarely ever coming back.

How are you doing now?

Pretty good And my family is doing good too financially. Life is great

I had just graduated high school and couldn't find a job to save my life, had to move back in with my parents. Awful awful time

Same it made me SUPER insecure I never ever wanted to be that broke again so I worked really hard growing up
I didn’t know it was like this for other countries that really fucks my brainpussy

Lived in leaf land we were all good.

>family business was hit pretty hard but survived (woodworking)
>tons of competitors went bankrupt, we had no debt though
>property management company holding our lease changed hands maybe 3-4 times
>we had employees take time off every few weeks and I was working for the family business after school/during the summer
>really hard to find any work so we spent a lot of time on the phone asking for work & reducing expenses
>we made it through though and now the family business makes almost 7 figures in profit/year (we were still profitable during the recession since no debt, but sometimes we were very thin on cash because people would literally not pay us)

Shit like that has a huge effect on a generation, which we are now dealing with.

Same with the Iraq War.

I'm a kike, my dad didn't really specialize in the industries where people got fucked over the most, he was a realtor. I think I was pretty jew and lucky, hope you niggas survived dat shit

Literally didn't notice a thing

>inherit mortgage-free house in 2007
>also inherit $20,000
>put money into mutual funds
>market goes to shit in 2008
>consistently lose money for years
>market eventually gets better
>2017: now have over $10,000 in profit from mutual funds

Was in jail 04/08-02/09.
Heard it was ruff for you fags in the free world.

the fuck did you do?

I think we could all learn something good from you from this family business.
>asking for work
How? What was the most successful variety of methods?
>reducing expenses
Everyone could benefit from this. Anything to share?
>life advice
From this hardship, what would you like to say?

Nothing bad happened to me.

Jesus dude, apply at other places
Holding down a job for a decade looks good on applications
t. former unloader/garden center

i was 12 at the time, got hit hard my father was one of few people who actually got money on my family.
my father used to help and send savings to my grandma , i had to move permantly to brazil and take care of her personaly, and lost the few friends a had at the time.

since then we keep our budget tight, but not that bad my father had to working again; after 5 years he was pratically retired , it was not easy to find jobs trought.we scraped by with the money of selling an 7 eleven like small store.

after it we setled quite easily it took one whole year, but my father brought a few petrobas actions, and we managed to get enought to save and spare;

when we moved to são paulo we discovered that my uncle was bassicaly taking all money for hinself she was on the floor bleeding. and she was fucking walking the dinossaur all over the floor.
>mfw

who is this qt3.14?

> be 11
> step dad is real estate agent, looses job and plays WoW all day everyday for 3-4 years
> living off of mom’s waitressing job
> my dad stabs his black girlfriend 60 something times for no reaso(while drunk?) and then tries to throw her body away but gets caught in the act and gets 15 to life
> the Italian and Black kids constantly bully me
> start failing all my classes
> fem bitch teachers bully me
> end up living in hotel with 3 dogs 2 sisters step dad and mom
> we finally gtfo and step dad finally gets job
> I then meet my right wing anarchist friends in the new city we moved to
> start browsing Sup Forums, etc, etc.

@lywi.gr

Great job, user. It only took you 10 years for that 20k to make you 10k...
>fucking prole.jpeg

2008 crisis was based

Central banks began HYPERMONITIZATION anybody who owns assets is rich now

we sold everything hehe fucked up :D

>girl

"housing crisis" you say...

Literally just graduated high school in 2008, parents lost everything and college money was gone. Ended up homeless on the streets of Chicago with no job, eventually got a job working in a warehouse ran by the Greek mob and got a shithole studio apartment in a crime infested Puerto Rican neighborhood.

Doing great now, make great money and travel the world for a living, but I will never forgive these kikes and wreckless Boomers for robbing me of my prime years. There will be hell to pay, Im just waiting for the catalyst that triggers the masses.

>hedge my stock portfolio against housing market
>sold like a madman the day before the crash
I WOKE UP IN A NEW BOUGHATTI!

>things that never happened: the post

>housing market crashed
>British government bailed it out creating a bubble
My Nan's house went from about 200,000 to 115,000 to about 680,000. She sold it and gave all her grandkids (about 7 in all) the profit so I had a jolly old time at Uni. Blew a lot of it on drugs and partying though

>16 when market collapsed
>vaugely aware that shit was going down but hardly cared because rich parents
>maybe got slightly fewer/less expensive Christmas presents for a couple years
>no other ill effects to speak of

Feels fucking amazing having rich parents.

Nice. Stockpiling money is a great hobby.

>How was
good joke, like it's ever really ended.

Dad lost his company. We lost our house. Parents got divorced a year later. Had to go to public school instead of great christian school.

>Devil trips

Wat does it mane?

For some reason during these days my parents were doing better than most people in fact it was an advantage for our family business

I was working at a delivery company making about $5US over minimum wage, nothing very good.
We were a subcontractor for a large distributor.
>Large distributor can't afford to keep internal delivery service on payroll since their sales are infrequent and they are bleeding.
>Take over more territory as they gut their delivery teams
>Boss is making more money than ever
>Gives raise
>I listen to finance books and commentators all day long and real estate investing
>Save every penny
>Cut my own hair, pack lunches, live above parents garage in converted apartment
>Find a house for 25K that is bank repo
>Buy it
>youtube how to fix it, buy tools as I go
>Put it up for sale for 110k
>Did a good job, everyone is impressed really likes it even though its shitt market sell it right away
>Did this 10 more times as economy comes back
>Quit job
>Get contractors license
>Housing boom coming again
>Start doing kitchen and countertops
>Buy badass tools, truck and trailer
>use extra capital to buy multi family properties
>31 years old, own 20 units, cashflow enough to not have to work
>Community loves me for fixing up shit
>Everyone calls me to do their trim/painting and kitchens

Crisis was the best thing ever to happen to me

I built boats in a factory, got laid off. Had the time of my fucking life partying, fucked a lot of hoes from Myspace. Got a side gig while getting unemployment, saved some money, bought a clean s14 Nissan 240 on the cheap, swapped an rb26dett engine into it (nice daily driver now). Got called back at the company, I should buy a house tho but waiting for the next bubble to pop and buy something affordable for a single working man.

>be me
>be 11

Lol i cannot believe that the majority on this site wasnt 18 by 2008.

>started college in fall of 2007

And of course every adult I trust's advice at the time was "just stay in school until the recession is over. If it isn't over by 2011 apply to graduate school!"

The average age on Sup Forums is probably about 21

I was ten and my dad traded swaps on mortgage bonds so it was kinda great

That sucks, where did all the oldfags go

Here

Damn, guess it was the same for all of us

>2008
>dad makes bank owning consulting firm that consults on the environmental regulation related to property development
>mom has government job
>Crash happens
>king niggers puts more environmental regulations as part of stimulus package
>dad doubles staff to keep up with new consulting demand from obama regulations
>Mom literally cannot be fired from job because government employees cant be fired
>property value tanks
>buy new bigger home on the cheap
>tfw my family made out like bandits in the crash
fight me scrubs

I actually got very fucking lucky. Turned 18 and went to med school in 08. Also the next year tuition fees tripled. By the time I got out, I had a decent paying public sector job and the economy had recovered to some degree.

I lived with my retired grandpa and it didn't affect me at all but he died two years later and everything went to shit then

>2009
>graduate high school
>on the internet so I read about how everything is fucked
>start reading economic collapse shit
>euro debt crisis 2011, shit is about to collapse again buy 200oz of silver
>eventually realize the government is going to be running HYPERMONITIZATION until the collapse of industrial civilization, asset holders are becoming richer and richer, savers are fucked massive divergence between the 1%(asset holders) and 99%(plebs)
>realize civilization only exists to benefit the 1%
>now 90% of my net-worth is in stocks and leveraged derivatives

I am merely adapting to the situation

smart people tend to do better than dumb people.

hands down the worst time of my life. i was working my way through college at a pizza place. I watched friends turn into cut throat rivals desperate for tip money during the recession. shit was just the beginning of our troubles

Be an 11 yo having time of my life.

>family upper middle class
>live life like normal
sorry for you poorfags

>First year of high school
>Worst year of my life but in an economic sense absolutely nothing changes

I was 24, bought my house literally 2 months before everything went to shit. locked in on a fixed 3.75apr, scooped house up off foreclosure. Since the market was still stable at the time FHA made the bank do a bunch of shit before they would sign off on it, one thing included brand new roof because the old one was too close to 10yrs old. Other than that it was a good house that only went under because the couple before me divorced and they both just kinda moved away. Love my $580/mth mortgage in my white middle class suburbia.

Like this
>Luke runs out of Mana and dies
>Kilo Ren kills snoke
>Nigger kisses gook
Boycott Jewish degeneracy

Are you the same guy who seems to be proud for working at walmart for 10+ years?

People in the Nederlands literally got up in the middle of breakfast, hopped in their cars and left you nigger
All their shit was repossed by the government iirc(or not I get a lot of conflicting info about the whole thing)
Shtf everywhere make no mistake
I didn't have any problems though

I lost around $80k on the stock market that year, so not so great.

>be me
>17
>parents tell me college isnt gonna be paid for anymore cuz we lost everything
>join Marine Infantry instead
>37 gunfights, 3 IED explosions, a stabbing and a brick to the head later im free to use my free college!
>except now I cant cope with normies, SJW bullshit is beginning to rear its ugly head and I hate people too much.
>quit school with 3.8 GPA
>Become Cop

Idk, could have turned out worse but before my family went bankrupt I was going to study engineering.

Absolutely zero effect in Sweden tbqh, although our government was selling state assets to keep it that way.

In college, market collapsed, rent got cheaper, not bad desu

was great. kids out of high school and off to do their own thing and I finally bought a Road King that I'd been dreaming of. Put 42k miles on it the first year.

>Stockpiling money is a great hobby
this so much

i love making money, not even to spend it, just to watch the numbers go up while rubbing my hands like a jew. great feeling!

What crisis ?

sat at home all comfy collecting unemployment for a year

negro la crisis hipotecaria no afectó a derechohabientes del infonavit como tu

>Dad loses business
>Parents divorce
>could have probably had a better life
Thanks Obama

How much was the rent at the apartment vs the former house's mortgage payment?

I thkight it was a boon to have a decades employment at one place. I guess loyalty is a antiquated gesture. There are no other places out there for my lack of qualifications. The only job offers I gave received are warehouse positions at $4 less an hour, and is over an hours drive away.

It was never my desire to work here for the rest of my life. It was a way to pay my bills as I have no one in life to rely on.

>Be Me.
>22.
>Less than a year from End of Enlistment in the Army.
>Economy plummets and tanks out.
>Mass unemployment.
>Reenlist and sign up for a tour in Japan.
>Ride out the Recession in Japan, seeing the sights and enjoying life.
>Buy bitcoin when it first becomes available.
>Now have over 170K in bitcoin.
>Became a Buddhist
I fucking lucked out bro

>graduated high school just as it happened
>wanted to study HVAC
>mom said I "needed to go to college"
>sucked at everything except history
>got a history degree while working my way through
>almost done with masters degree in historical preservation
>gonna help companies do historically sensitive remods on old houses and such hopefully, or open up my own remod business so I can help the boomers in the flip house meme before the market collapses again.
>never expected to ever own a house or have a family
>lived in van for a semester of undergrad (2012 fall)
>have zero friends
>read philosophy everyday
>practice Issin ryu Karate
just living my best to honor god and my forefathers and not expecting a happy ending to all this desu

Got engaged and bought a house, 1 year later I was single broke and lost the house. Thank god I am a skilled tradesman so I got back on my feet quicker than some. Fuck those years and fuck Obama.

Kudos to you user, I'm happy for you.

>be 15 in highschool
>dad worked as diesel mechanic
>go to school everyday
>eat normal everyday
>nothing really changes
>be now
>moved out living with gf
>what are food stamps?

I was in school. Lived in dorms. Eventually moved into an efficiency apartment.

Starting out was hard but I did it and I'm thankful. I think hardship is necessary for character development. Otherwise you become an entitled brat.

I had a job funded by a government mandate from the EPA. I coasted through the recession and bought a foreclosed house at the bottom of the market in 2012. The value has literally tripled and I will be paying for my next house in cash.
>yeah, feels pretty fucking good man.

I need to know who this semen demon is

Lol, we were always poor and lived in rented small apartments. The crisis didn't change my life one bit.

Lived in a northern rural Canadian town with dirt cheap houses (sub 50k for modest home) with my parents. My mom was a conservationist and my dad a hydro line worker so no risk for their jobs. I noticed no change at all.

I actually remember not understanding why people were making such a big deal about it when everything seemed completely normal to me and most others I know.

well get ready for another recession lmfao.
this time without foodstamps hahaha were so fucked.

Got married in ‘08 and started off in shit, had to bust our asses to get by. Scraped and saved and bought a foreclosure as well in ‘11. About to sell it for a hefty profit and move the fuck out of the shitty area we live in.

I just want you to know, if you send your kids to a shitty public school and make them ride the bus and later work a minimum wage retail job to help pay the bills or help pay their way through college """"to build character"""", they will hate your guts as adults and have no love for you for the rest of their life.

i bout a house during the middle of it and got a sweet deal.

Great. I was doing commercial flips and made $360k for basically adding bathrooms to a bunch of units, and experimenting with acid staining.

I had not expected the offer at all, and had nothing planned for my profit+overhead/reserve overhead.

And then all of a sudden I had this dirt cheap smorgasbord of depressed stocks to choose from.
Now I """work''"" less then a day a week. And by work, I mean sit in restaurants hammering contracts out either with a client or the people who sub off of me.

If I produce a single bead of sweat at work these days, it's because I am drinking in the sun. All thanks to '08's crazy dips.
I bet the next one is going to be even better.
Firesale politics is great if you watch it with clear eyes, this time I am actually ready and anticipating the plummets.

I was 22 and working at walmart making like just above minimum wage. nothing really changed for me.