The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Fans

How did this go from one of the biggest cultural phenomenons in anime history to just another forgotten anime from pre 2010

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fDFaNTr44lE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why does she smile like that?

LN author ran out of ideas and stopped giving a fuck

Cuz she smug af

>forgotten
mate it's still one of the most popular anime out there easily

Most new watchers don't even know what this show is or have even heard of endless eight senpai. Show's forgotten.

4 words:

Everyone except the basist

This.

>Haruhi is forgotten
Faggot even normalfags recognize that bitch and her hair ties even if they have no idea where she's from.
It's the same shit with Konata and Nagisa and probably Umaru at this point

By your logic, NGE is forgotten because new anime fans haven't watched it.

The industry moves at a very fast pace now. Every year there is a show or two that dominates the discussion until the next big thing comes along. At this rate, every show gets forgotten sooner or latter unless it gets a strong fanbase.

Haruhi was an incredibly big thing at the time, but most of the fanbase got frustrated of waiting for new novels or anime and moved on with their lives. Now it's just a pleasant memory of what a good time we had with them.

NGE is also the most selling anime of all time and actually has had recent material.

It doesn't change what I said. People would remember NGE with or without the rebuilds

Fuck off, oldfag.

TAHKEY

>you'll never make a shitty advertisement for your school's Anime Club that features you and your hambeast friend doing the dance from the ending credits.

Oh god don't remind me of that video. Even the memory of watching it is a stain that I can only hope Alzheimers will burn away

Because, except for the movie, the series weren't that good, It's just nostalgiafags and oldfags overhyping shit.
I had high expectation for Haruhi, I was dissapointed.

disappointed*

Because of that dumbass endless eight arc. Fuck that.

It ran out of worthwhile light novel source material.

And Second Season, Endless Eight especially, dampened enthusiasm.

Most folks consider Disappearance to be the worthy capstone of the series, and aren't expecting more.

But I think people still think of Season 1 as one of the classics from the 2000s. Apart from twelve year olds, or whatever.

Poor handling of season 2?

Because Tanigawa will never release another book as long as he lives.

Endless eight was one of the most meaningful, painful, and important parts of the series. Just about everything that involves Yuki after that point makes me want to just give her a hug, and let her know everything will be alright.

Endless eight arc should have been 3 or 4 episodes.

>to just another forgotten anime from pre 2010
i have a fake facebook account and i posted about haruhi once and almost no one knew what it was

Just because it's good doesn't mean it didn't kill the show. The fanbase is dead after the 09 season, and it's not going to come back.

Saying Haruhi is "just another forgotten anime" is ignorant as fuck.

because she owns your ass, and there is nothing you can do about it

aya being a slut didn't make the author become a lazy faggot

Haruhi a cute!
A CUTE!

How many more will you be making this week?

Endless Eight was incredibly ballsy and incredibly stupid.

I really liked S1 back then, I dropped it at the 4th Endless Eight episode and only came back to it years later.

Maybe her mouth hurts

> just another forgotten anime from pre 2010
You're retarded if you actually think that. It's still very popular and famous by most standards, and people sperg out every time there's any hint of activity. It's not as huge as it once was, like the majority of hits from more than a few years ago. SEED literally only comes up to get shat on, for example. Not even hambeasts care about Inuyasha anymore. Nadesico is basically irrelevant nowadays despite being the second-best-selling TV anime of the 20th century. Things change with time.

This is a really good troll to elicit so many responses from different parts of your post. This is an adept level troll post. Good job, good sir.

> I'm the only one who agrees that it feels like nobody cares about this anime any more

link it and i'll see if ur right

Because God can do whatever she wants.

I remember this series being forced down my throat in the early days. I'm glad it's gotten lost in the sands of time.

>biggest cultural phenomenons in anime history

it wasnt, you were just a weeaboo and this was heavily marketed to the west for its time so it felt that way

endless 8, slut VA, stale story formula

The first intro for this anime makes me cry its so beautiful and reminds me of childhood in 2005.

haruhi is literally just babbys first exposure to a flavor of the month series like re:zero is today

Anime trends are fast as fuck now a days and there's just so much exposure to the medium now. I've met people recently that claim to be die hard anime fans either say they don't know or have only heard about big name shows like Haruhi, Madoka, Death Note, TTGL, and K-On. Of course these people are complete plebs, but these shows were so big at the time that there was no way any self respecting anime fan would not have seen them. Right now it's all about AoT and SAO and other stupid shit like that.

>153198225
It's the same with every decade. Ten years ago your list would have been Slayers, Record of Lodoss War, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Escaflowne, and Utena, but there would still be people who hadn't seen them.

In ten years no one will know Space Dandy, Re: Zero, AoT, et cetera. Only a few shows survive into the next decade and become classics - Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion for the 90's, FMA:B and Code Geass for the 2000's, who knows for the 2010's yet.

No one will remember your favorites, or mine, except for small, dedicated groups that remember and rewatch periodically, like the Tenchi or Slayers fans. And that may be for the best.

also umaru is more recognizable than Haruhi at this point. get fucked

KyoAnus fans switched from enjoying harem to enjoying yuribait. If Phantom World was done immediately following Haruhi instead of Clannad, Phantom World would've sold 50k. Tumblr and nu-males were a mistake.

People realized it's shit.
Took them long enough

Just because it's not discussed about constantly, doesn't mean it's been forgotten. As good as it was, you have to move on, lest you become stubborn and closeminded about other shows.

So you didn't like it? That sucks. One thing I will admit is that Endless Eight - although awesome while it was coming out - doesn't really hold up to repeated viewings.

WITNESSED

Because the author hasn't written a goddamn thing for over half a decade.

youtube.com/watch?v=fDFaNTr44lE
Not going to lie it's kind of endearing to see this genuine shit instead of the retards sperging out at a camera for attention nowadays.

>Right now it's all about AoT and SAO and other stupid shit like that

That was like 4 years ago. Now it's all about OPM and Rezero and jojo. Get with the times gramps.

He said something about not being able to write anymore, I think he just doesn't care because he's too busy having sex with hookers payed from pachinko monies.

I could see a writer's block becoming crippling. He was an amateur who just got lucky with Haruhi and managed to write enough to make a nice pile of money to live off of for awhile. How many LN authors even stay in the industry considering the stress churning out a novella every 4 months brings? There are a few guys who are god damn MACHINES at what they do, but it causes most to burn out or catch the deadly japanese cold and die of overwork.

Maybe he didn't really know how the audience would handle an actual major change hinted at with the impending event of Mikuru and Nyoron, and how that would destabilize the SOS Brigade. Could've been interesting to see how Haruhi's subconscious would cope with it. Maybe his editor-kun was an endless 8 and didn't want him to pull the trigger on advancing time.

OP is right between 10 modern anime fans (especially those who joined us after SAO and AoT) you will hardly find 2 or 3 who at least heard about haruhi let alone watched it

My main issue with the story is that it never really "goes" anywhere, sure some dramatic things happen in the later books but it soon returns to status quo.

Because all the bandwagon heathens jumped. Hope they never come back. They were never true believers to begin with..

>there was no recap episode
Why?

What is your favorite idea?

Making Someday in the Rain
Making Day of Sagittarius a space opera thing.

This one?
same

Shit I just realized they used that same font for the Disappearance movie opening

Left or right?

Same ost
Same opening song too
Same ost at the end except more orchestral to show Kyon accepted everything

fuck this movie was satisfying

It has been outdone by it's copycats, meaning there's very little point in watching the original. Stuff like Evangelion or Madoka haven't been outdone in their own genres yet.

Haruhi, always

Which copycats have outdone it?

I honestly never got the popularity of this show, generic high school with some MAGIC in it is nothing special.

>Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Utena
These still carry cultural weight with them though.

>Free will get a new season before this will
What happened, anons?

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko

>muh highschool setting
it's fucking well done and fits the themes so it's okay

What the fuck is that shit

I've heard about Utena a number of times, is it actually good or is it just a mix of nostalgia and yuri ?

spbp
LN era depends on having new LNs to sell, author gave the fuck up, no reason to create more anime to sell vapor LNs.
That didn't help, but the author was the real reason.

How new are you?

Kyon represents everything everyone ever wanted: adventures and mysterious and interesting world as it was seen when we were kids. Now we're all grown up, dragons don't exist, you'll never go to another planet, time travel doesn't exist, you'll never be able to fly like Arthur Dent or save the world and so on yet everyone secretly wants these things to be true.
This is what sold Melancholy to me desu

It was the Haruhi of its time apparently. So, the latter.

Oh please, Kyon was an insufferable faggot and a complete pain, definitely the worst thing to come out of this
He keeps whining, and complaining and being the no fun allowed guy every fucking time
The only, and only time he doesn't do this is when he gets the shit beaten out of him by himself in disappearance

>high school
>MAGIC

Those terms are too broad to make anything generic. The themes and characters are what set this show apart.

Why wouldn't you complain when an unsufferable girl forces you to do shameful stuff when you think you just want to fit in? Kyon's self conflict was one of the cores of the show, like, is following Haruhi really worth it? Why does he keep doing that? And Disappearance answers it.

Kyon is just Haruhi in denial. He could've walked off and Haruhi would've came to terms with the boring world, but he didn't.

There's been exactly one new book in the last ten years, and it was very late itself. And it was honestly one of the worst books in the series.

Worse, a pretty large faction of Haruhifags are, in reality, Yukifags. And Yuki has been pretty shortchanged in recent books. Author realized he was making her more appealing and have more interaction with Kyon than the titular character and reeled her in because we can't have nice things.

Yuki getting her own movie and animu is a sure sign that a side character has gotten much too popular, especially when she's not even supposed to be the primary romantic interest for the protagonist.

Anyway, my point is that between no new books, Yuki getting the short end, Endless Eight, and everyone but the bassist, people just lost interest.

>And it was honestly one of the worst books in the series.
Literally the second best.

>Worse, a pretty large faction of Haruhifags are, in reality, Yukifags
Shit taste at its finest.

>Literally the second best.

>tfw I still don't watch this.

It's really a classic and worth to watch?

Yes. Only Disappearance is better (and not by much)

Depends what you mean by classic, it has lost relevance due to no sequels in the last few years. S1 creates controversy nowadays, movie is widely loved and makes the series worth watching whether you like S1 or not.

Mikuru>Haruhi

Of course I would, excitement, hanging out with a Goddess, an esper, a time traveler, and an alien and doing crazy shit, while morphing reality, and having the time of my life would be a fantastic thing
Because he's an indecisive and boring little shit

2014 newfag here

I didn't really notice any good reason why I should watch this

most post I saw were how Haruhi is sexy

Depends on your tastes. Just try it.

my point
--------
your head

I really like the new Yuki more
Not that I don't like the old one, she was pretty badass and just rolled with all the insanity
New Yuki is really too cute though

Haruhi also acts like a cunt from times to times and is high maintenance. There's legitimate reason why people wouldn't want to deal with her and ostracize themselves. The good sides eventually outdo the bad ones but Kyon complaining is justified.

The movie is a masterpiece. Try it. Or don't, whatever.

Not really sure who you mean by the 'new Yuki' because she's spent most of the later books (almost everything post Disappearance) on the sidelines, bed ridden while being brainfucked by one cosmic entity or another, chilling and just letting Endless Eight unfold, and not really living up to her old title of 'the only competent member of the group'.

Utena is my favourite anime, followed by Tezhnolyze.

It is genuinely very well written with outstanding art direction.