What's so great about Hunter x Hunter

So I just dropped hxh after watching 132 episodes . I'm not sure why I kept on watching it maybe because every 10 or so episodes it would have some great moments that convinced me to keep watching. What I just don't get though, is what people find so amazing about this show. hxh is filled with flaws for example: the "main plot" of kid wants to find his dad isn't really being actively pursued throughout the show with the exception of the greed island arc. There's no sense of urgency to find ging and yorknew city, heavens arena and the chimera ant arcs have very little to do with gon finding gin or even getting closer to him. (continued)

(Continued) The Exam arc is alright and has some decent moments but overall is mediocre as fuck. Heavens arena is terrible with the exception of the hisoka fight at the end. Yorknew City is by far the best arc and starts out slow but has some great moments albeit a shitload of very boring ones but not nearly as many as heavens arena. Greed Island is painfully slow paced. Then there's the chimera ant arc which at 60 episodes is about 2/5s of the show and most of it is incredibly boring, filled with unnecessary characters and a ridiculously slow pace. Then once they assault the palace which takes up about half of the damn arc the pacing goes from very slow to extremely slow. The narration had always been a little excessive up until that point (show me don't tell me) but once they get in the palace practically every single fucking footstep is narrated and they could have easily cut that shit out and shown us what was happening instead. Sometimes the narration is completely unnecessary as what the narrator is explaining is painfully obvious and it's frankly insulting that the writers of the show act like its viewers are too stupid to see what's plainly on screen. Due to the pacing and narration moments that would have been tense and suspenseful lost all dramatic tension and became tedious. Netero's fight was great but by the time gon fought pitou and ended the fight via super saiyin mode in 10 seconds I felt disappointed after all of the hype. These aren't even hxh's greatest flaws however. The real problem with hxh is it's pointless story lines and characters. All throughout the show there are both major and minor characters that are revealed to have goals and motivations that simply end up going nowhere. For example we learn that Kurapika is dedicated to killing the trope but after killing 1 trope member he decides to say fuck it and just kind of forgets about them killing his clan.

(continued) Also there's no point to that mole bitch melody in the york new city arc. The writers take the time to give her screen time, a fleshed out personality and backstory and a goal and then her entire character and buildup for her involvement in the plot in the future is forgotten. The real problem with hxh is the lack of focus and a strong main plot. Will Chrollo get his nen healed, they sure did build up his inevitable confrontation with hisoka once he was healed but nope that plot line is completely forgotten. Kurapika and Leorio despite being practically main characters in the first 6 or so episodes are completely forgotten with the exception of kurapika during york new city. How does fighting ants get gon closer to his goal? It's like the writers took all of these great ideas from the source material but couldn't decide which ones to prioritize and then started dropping side stories as they went along. There are some great moments in this show however 90% of it is fairly mediocre or just flat out boring.

Killua is cute!

道草を楽しめ。大いにな。欲しいものより大切なものが きっと、そっちに転がってる。
Michikusa wo tanoshime. Ooi ni na. Hoshii mono yori taisetsu na mono ga, kitto socchi ni korogatteru
You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.
—Yoshihiro Togashi / Ging

HxH is a good shounen anime. If you don't like shounen you won't like the show period.

>little detours
nice side stories=/=shitty side stories haphazardly stitched together with a weak excuse for a main story line.

>hurr durr durr harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dur dur durrrrrrrr
sorry i didnt understand that, could you maybe rephrase it in a less retarded way

>mocks a poster's argument with hurr durr.....
fuckin fanboys

There was nothing retarded about what he said. Maybe Togashi babbies should expand upon their shit fedoralord tastes by reading better series

>shitty side stories haphazardly stitched together with a weak excuse for a main story line.
>thinking this is an argument
>literally just an insult
If you want something more than me mocking your idiocy, say something of value. I gave a reason, you just called the show shitty.

sage

> I gave you a reason
>hurrr durrr durr
That's not a reason m8 and you still haven't brought up one valid point from the show as a rebuttal.

> (OP)
道草を楽しめ。大いにな。欲しいものより大切なものが きっと、そっちに転がってる。
Michikusa wo tanoshime. Ooi ni na. Hoshii mono yori taisetsu na mono ga, kitto socchi ni korogatteru
You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.
—Yoshihiro Togashi / Ging
That is the final line of the show
Reading comprehension goes a long way Moly

Just because a character in a show makes a comment about the nature of the show itself doesn't mean it's true or even if it is true, it may not be valid in the show's case and it certainly isn't for hxh.

Obligatory gum and rubber post.

HxH is less about the story and more about the characters.

Watching anime for the plot is pleb as fuck.

All of the characters are simple as fuck though and it takes literally 100+ episodes for killua and gon to get some character development.

>Yoshihiro Togashi
>a character in the show
holy fuck this shit is why I'm insulting you.

that aint me nigga

have a retroactive "you're fucking retarded" then

>It took a 100 eps for Gon and Killua to get development.

Completely disagree, I think that their development is gradual and consistent right from the episode they're introducted. It's just blatantly obvious in the Chimera Ant arc since that is the arc with the highest personal stakes for both characters.

wew lad

>gradual
More like nonexistent until the CA arc.

>So I just dropped hxh after watching 132 episodes .

So you just dropped the series after watching basically all of it

WOW

HxH is overated as fuck but you're pretty much salty at a work in progress. Half of the your complains are invalid because some of these are esolved ( chrollos nen's, leorio and kurapika return etc), to have set up to be adressed in the current manga arc ( the phantom troupe, mole bitch and ninja man's return)

>HxH is overated as fuck

As always, coming from an anime-only fag

character development doesn't just mean any small change in a character you know. It's far more impactful than that and noticeable if it happens. That's not even the primary problem with the characters either really. The problem is they feel no complex emotions. Only exaggerated simple emotions. Simple characters aren't even bad for shounen, but if you aren't going to make up for that with a well-written plot it's just not engaging. It just feels like Togashi writes whatever he felt like writing with no rhyme or reason. It's completely disorientating. Like how they transition between arcs especially is telling. They just throw you into whatever new is happening and completely forget about whatever happened before, maybe mentioning it one or two times but for the most part it may as well never happened. That said HxH isn't even a bad show, just a flawed one. Differing opinions are entirely allowed, but blind fanboyism and ignoring obvious problems is not.

> Aluded to Chrollo getting his nen resorted and Hanzo's returning
> Anime only fag

This is how I know you're retarded.

>anime only fag who started reading the manga where the anime left off

Hunter x Hunter is BY FAR the most intelligent and deepest shonen out there. You can call this bait, you can laugh at this, but it is TRUE.

It has more depth that huge amounts of seinen manga too.

>flaws for example: the "main plot" of kid wants to find his dad isn't really being actively pursued throughout the show
>flaw

HXH is my favorite anime and I can easily see why you would say that and would probably agree.

It's just average, it's fans are too stubborn to admit it.

If you don't think a villain like Meruem is compelling I feel sorry for you.

why would I think a generic edgelord with asspull powers is compelling?

tell me about these asspull powers

? he's literally born the most powerful being on the planet when the show had spend the last 100+ episodes building up the idea you had to work to be strong

>most powerful being on the planet

how do you function

you barely skim this shit and then instead of stopping to wonder why you didnt enjoy it, off to Sup Forums you go to complain about it

it sounds like you don't get the story at all

they literally fucking say it in the show how can you be this much of a fanboy and not know that? They only mention things more powerful afterwards in the dark continent arc when togashi has to think of some bullshit to raise the powerlevels even higher

nigger, him being born retardedly strong isn't an asspull at all, he has the strength of hundreds if not thousands of people combined into one body

>Established to belong to a race that is very adept at nen and can learn it easily on top of being very strong in general
>The king of said race
>Expecting him not to be very powerful
And it doesn't even matter that he's the strongest because he doesn't even use his strength and that's very interesting.

first of all he's a fucking monster, he doesn't play by the rules of humans

secondly what the fuck did you think the ants were doing for the queen?

they dropped a country's worth of nen straight into her guts. where do you think that went? do you think it just disappeared or something?

third, the story wasn't even about power levels, that entire part of the arc is meruem, a prodigious but inexperienced newborn, discovering that there is more to life than power

not sure why I'm wasting my time on a speedreading knuckle-dragging mental invalid here

fuck off

now quote my post and make some retarded quip about fanboys or something, i don't think hxh is god's gift to mankind and i certainly didn't think it was so deep a story it required explanation until I read your shitwit posts

This isn't DBZ. Go back to your regular board.

>Ctrl+f adventure
>no results
It is the best adventure series out there. It isn't the deepest, doesn't have the best action, and doesn't have this huge overarching dramatic story, but no other series drops you into a world with interesting characters and has you go on all these separate adventures as well as this series does.

I kinda disagree on that. I love it but it's not a really great adventure and doesn't try to be. Everywhere they go is charted and well known, it's what happens there that's the interesting part, not going there. If they ever get out into the dark continent it will be more of adventure but not really now. It is AN adventure but not the best one.

This. They said that in the DC there are S level threats or disasters and the Ants were still only an A+ level even after all they did.

>Everywhere they go is charted and well known
No, that makes it a good adventure series. The places and events are well thought out and really pull you into the individual arcs. An Adventure isn't just about going somewhere unknown. All the places were unknown to Gon (and us as the reader) so we got to go on this great adventure through their world experiencing it.

Does another series do that as well? Most series eventually get bogged down into some long running plot with a overarching villain.

I guess you're right. I can't disagree.

I hear One Piece is good in that regard but I don't read it.

OP is a great adventure series too, but it doesn't have the variety in its arcs. They are all sort of the same with little changes here and there. Loads of interesting visuals in its world though make up for the arcs feeling similar.

I agree OP, HxH would be so much better if Gon just smashed Killua's traitorous skull and then used another Jajanken to smash Pitou's skull while he couldn't defend himself and finally also smashed Koumugi's skull for sleeping with the enemy

Gon is a complex and intellectual

This is the only shonen shit I have ever dropped and I still read Fairy Tail weekly, HxH is the most boring piece of shit I ever read holy fuck I had to force myself just to watch the anime but the OST in the anime is fucking awful, the plots are complete donkey shit and the characters suck ass if you arent a fag pedophile. I mean Gon is just this Luffy tier faggot who has no purpose in life beyond HURR I GOTTA FIND MY DADDY. Killua is just a queer lets be honest now. I fucking hate the world as well, the York whatever arc that had autistic auctioning shit no one cares about is my hated arc, and Chimera Ants were just complete fucking bullshit I cant believe that stupid was actually made my fucking god. I hate every single character in this shitty manga.

Can I see your 3x3 or mal to where your taste gravitates towards?

>Killua becomes scared of the bunny chimera and is faced with the dilemma of overcoming it and dying for Gon's sake or survival
>Turns out his older brother inserted a fear needle in his head to make him act accordingly. Once removed he beats up the bunny and no longer feels the same fear before
Talk about a waste of character development

It was foreshadows and it doesn't make sense for him to be afraid of a random ant.

I know they are powerful, they are NOT THAT powerful.

>This is the only shonen shit I have ever dropped and I still read Fairy Tail weekly
Is that supposed to imply your opinion has any worth?

Are you me? Because I made the same mistake of watching it after deciding to use the myanime best anime list.
The end of the exam arc made me look forward to the potential of what it set up, only to be largely disappointed.
IMO yorkshire arc was really frustrating, it set up an op antagonist team but theres no shonen fight between them and the main characters or objectively good written resolution. The author wrote himself into a corner that the only way he could write the main characters out alive is if they outsmarted the spiders through lame ass means. You could argue that the spiders are being set up for something but what are they set up for? Don't write a gun in the room if it's not going to be used. This show was a waste of my life.

Will the other arcs of the manga get OVAs? I can't read the manga with Togashi's lazy ass shit art. It's unbearable.

I love you

>it set up an op antagonist team but theres no shonen fight between them and the main characters
>That makes it bad
Goddamn I hate you people

>Don't write a gun in the room if it's not going to be used
You sound like a huge idiot

How was it foreshadowed? And this wasn't some random ant, this was an ant they encountered before. They defeated the ant the first time but then he got stronger and gave Killua a run for his money for an episode. Even if this was foreshadowed, being afraid because of a psychological needle inserted then fighting with confidence as if nothing happened is really shitty writing.

forgot pic related

>ignoring objectively good written resolution
I did type an alternative. It can be a satisfying or tragic resolution just as long as there's a resolution to an arc. The main characters outsmarted the spiders through lame ass means and doesn't conclude anything. You could argue that this is simply to build off of but that never happens.
>calling me an idiot for stating a good writing tactic with no understanding of it
You sound uneducated

First of all
>objectively good
Does not exist. There's nothing objective about any of this. The resolution that was provided was good. You just didn't like it because you want a big DBZ fight as a climax but this isn't that kind of show. It concludes the threat of the spiders, and allows them to get Greed Island.

His design seem to be a pushover villain and it is good way to show that killua development but not enough to be scary tough guy.

>Says being objectively good does not exist
>proceeds to say that it was good
Also it does not conclude the threat of the spiders. They are still out in the world and there threat is very much active the next time they decide to do something similar. What happened to Lucifero was only temporary. I didn't like it because the author wrote himself into a corner and solved the problem by as follows
>turn off the lights
>capture the leader
>then trade off
really boring

>proceeds to say that it was good
Yeah because that's what's called an opinion.
>They are still out in the world
Nobody cares about out in the world. The threat is over for the main characters.
It only shows how much of an idiot you are that you act like something as simple as turning off the lights isn't a good strategy for some stupid reason. There's no reason it wouldn't work and it was a perfectly fine and not stupid plan.

Yeah, underdeveloped characters and plot points that just get discarded are truly the important parts of storytelling.

>to find ging and yorknew city
Do you realize what their reason was for being in that city?

And really, URGENCY? Its not like they had a quest locator marker around their heads that constantly pointed to where Ging was

>implying he missed my heart

>Yeah because that's what's called an opinion
K then my opinion is that hxh is shit
>Nobody cares about out in the world
Kurapiku should care considering how his back story is about the spiders. For him to be all "lol i'll stop going after the spiders to save gon" is an abrupt, unnatural, and uninteresting end to Kurapika's rage and grief.
the plan to trade Lucifer bothered me because the characters never struggled with it. It wasn't a big obstacle they had to overcome it was achieved with ease. Also considering how op the spiders have continuously showed themselves to be it seems really unlikely turning off the lights would phase them.
You keep calling me an idiot but maybe that's your way of making your argument and yourself feel smart.

>K then my opinion is that hxh is shit
As I already stated. You tried to say it was "objectively" good which is objectively wrong because it's all subjective.

>the plan to trade Lucifer bothered me because the characters never struggled with it. It wasn't a big obstacle they had to overcome it was achieved with ease.
Because of Kurapika's power. Powers in HxH are not something you can just push through by being a strong badass. You have to follow any effects that get placed on you. Kurapika had a power that could easily defeat a spider all he needed was to surprise one which he did. That's the genius of HunterXHunter which you seem to be unwilling to understand. None of them can see in the dark and they certainly weren't expecting two kids to pull some shit like that on them and that's why it worked. It wouldn't have worked in battle. You'd think this stuff would be clear considering how explained everything is but I guess not.

Yes Im saying I enjoy Fairy Tail more than HxH which tells you how awful HXH is.

It had some good fights. Also in retrospect watching Gon go from happy go lucky kid to murderous feral child, and Killua from paid serial killer to something more like a normal kid was neat.

3/4 of the thing you mentioned are the reason why people (or at least I) think it's good. It just isn't for you.

>You tried to say it was "objectively" good which is objectively wrong
I'm confused. I said that I thought it was shit not whatever poop slop you just typed
>it's all subjective
okay maybe you could've thought of that and not waste time adding nothing to the conversation until your most recent message
>Powers in HxH are not something you can just push through by being a strong badass
Powers can literally be push through if you have the right mind set and act accordingly to the rules placed on said power. Technically speaking powers in hxh are something a strong bad ass can push through.
The spiders confrontation between them and the main characters are so minimal there's no real sense of danger outside of Gon and Killua briefly getting captured by them.
>None of them can see in the dark
Was this something mentioned way ahead of time or was it something stated in the last minute? Sounds like bad writing to make super ultra killer thiefs not able to see in the dark.
Calm down, just because someone doesn't have the same opinion as you doesn't mean you need to over react.

>Was this something mentioned way ahead of time or was it something stated in the last minute? Sounds like bad writing to make super ultra killer thiefs not able to see in the dark.
Humans can't see in the dark you retard. Why would you assume otherwise? It seems that you are expecting a lot of things from this show that aren't going to be the case.

>Humans can't see in the dark
Considering how the spiders literally destroyed entire super mafia armies and have shown to have profound senses, you'd figure they might be able to see or at the very least sense in the dark. When they cornered Gon and Killua when they were captured, they were able to outmaneuver them with seeing where they went raw senses alone. Nen capabilites are beyond regular human capabilities, it's even plausible for a nen user to see in the dark or sense.
>you retard
so you escalated from calling me idiot, to calling your favorite cartoon immense genius i don't understand, to this. what's next? super duper retard?
>It seems that you are expecting a lot of things from this show that aren't going to be the case.
So like I first stated this show had potential but ultimately disappointing.

*without seeing where they went with raw senses alone

>went to sleep hours ago and this thread was dying
>come back and retarded hunterfags made it to 80 replies

jesus fuck

It's mostly thanks to me, I saved this thread from page 10 a couple of times

I am desperate to always talk about Hunter x Hunter because my only real life friend dropped it after Kite died in CA (anime only of course and not because he cared about Kite but because he was triggered by Gon and Killua being gay together) and he considers it far inferior to stuff like FMA Brotherhood (to be fair the anime is better here) or his most favoritest anime - Van Hellsing

Many times, but most notably when he trained with Biske and she told him his fear would cause him to abandon Gon.

Oh I see. I don't like the needle influence but I'll give it a pass.

To think I'm breathing same air with you... just kill yourself, please.

>What I just don't get though, is what people find so amazing about this show

Boipussies.

just read One Piece and you will soon forget Hunter x Hunter

You could at least try user.

I think hxh is too intelligent for you, user. better stick with one piece and fairy tail. :^)

Has there ever been an episode of anything as good as the last episode of HunterXHunter?

Hunter x Hunter is perfectly emblematic of why most anime/manga fans are infantile idiots.

It's often thrown around that the show is a subversion of shounen motifs, and it is, but it's just well written. The obligatory rescue arc is promptly cut short because the characters have a semblance of actual humanity. A Father acknowledging the pressures of his parental concern.

In Naruto, the same set up is a series spanning cycle of regurgitated arc structures. "My parents are overbearing" is the backstory for a major antagonist before it's rewritten.

Every arc is different, every arc is genuinely emotive. It's an author who isn't afraid to reference fucking Devilman and zero contract labourers. It doesn't need a broad coherent plot with a dogged emphasis on linear progression, because that's not what life is.

You're too stupid to enjoy HxH, and you're too emotionally void to really appreciate any work of art. Balzac's struggles against the benchmark of wealth, Henry Miller's chaotic idolisation of the flawed, fucking Gilgamesh or Henry IV's record of friendship. Go grow up, then come back and read that little story of a kid learning about life. Maybe you'll understand the significance of it.

Eh, I don't like shounen as a whole and I loathe the character designs, that's enough for me to stay away from HxH.

>Watches 132 episodes of a series he dosent really care about
OP is a fool.

OP must just have nothing better to do with his time

>All of the characters are simple as fuck
Allow me to introduce you to Meruem.

Do you pronounce the "X" in Hunter x Hunter?

Hunter hunter.

Why did you tell her??

Agreed 100%. Especially the "show dont tell" part

Is this a pasta I'm unaware of because of my fleeting relationship with Sup Forums? If not you ought to be embarrassed.

Oh boy, where do I even begin. First of all
>the "main plot" of kid wants to find his dad
Is so fucking wrong. Sure, Gon wants to find Gin but he also wants to be a Hunter like him, he wants to get stronger and so on. If you you want some kind of bullshit like "I'm going to be a Hokage" then I think other shonens are more suitable for you.
>There's no sense of urgency to find ging and yorknew city, heavens arena and the chimera ant arcs have very little to do with gon finding gin or even getting closer to him
I'm not sure if you even paid attention because you completly misunderstood Gons intentions. Gon doesn't want to "just find" Ging. He said it multiple times that he doesn't want to take a shortcut so he is not in a hurry and wants to do it properly (by getting gradually stronger) and during those arcs there were more important things to take care of than finding his dad.
>Then once they assault the palace which takes up about half of the damn arc the pacing goes from very slow to extremely slow
If the assault is slow paced for you then I strongly suggest you to read Bleach or something.
>All throughout the show there are both major and minor characters that are revealed to have goals and motivations that simply end up going nowhere
You didn't even finished Chimera Arc but yet you make this kind of accusation. You complain about the slow pace yet you expect every characters story to be resolved immediately.
>For example we learn that Kurapika is dedicated to killing the trope but after killing 1 trope member he decides to say fuck it and just kind of forgets about them killing his clan.
Again. What Kurapika wants is to avange his clan and gain their eyes back. You should familiarize yourself with the concept of a character development. First he wanted to kill all the Spiders but after Yorknew arc he realized that this kind of revenge it's dangerous, reckless and won't do any good.