So wait, Kyubey says that magical girls and witches are responsible for society moving forward...

So wait, Kyubey says that magical girls and witches are responsible for society moving forward? He also says that were it not for magical girls, people would probably still be in caves without clothes?

If magic is responsible for forward progress, assuming this anime has the same history as the real world, how come women were so oppressed for tens of thousands of years? How come there are so few notable women that come along in society, namely Joan of Arc and Cleopatra as shown in the anime, and besides that people like Pocahontas and Marie Curie, off the top of my head? There's bound to be more I'm sure.

This isn't really a plot hole, but why the fuck is it only that girls are targeted and not boys? They never even tried to explain why only girls can be used for this.

Given that time travel shit is present throughout the show, one could argue that "oh, well, this is just one of many timelines and anything could have happened to create this version of the universe, the same way the last version of the universe was created", but as far as I'm concerned that's some cop-out bullshit. Just try to explain it reasonably.

Just finished this show, and I liked it a bunch. I give it a 7 out of 10. Is Madoka the biggest martyr of anime ever ?

Homura did nothing wrong.

>magic moves society foward.
>only girls can do magic.
>if magic goes haywire, girl becomes witch.

Literally a 2 + 2 = 4 formula.
The less freedom women have, the more unlikely it will be for them to come into contact with magic.
Less women with magic, less witches fucking shit up.

>This isn't really a plot hole, but why the fuck is it only that girls are targeted and not boys? They never even tried to explain why only girls can be used for this.
They said it. Because girls are more emotional. Hence, easy to convert into witches

>how come women were so oppressed for tens of thousands of years?

That's a feminist myth.

if kyubey tells you that you should shitpost, would you shitpost?

Hey, she got clothes at least. That's something.

>They said it. Because girls are more emotional. Hence, easy to convert into witches

Less emotional restraint.
Men will get overly emotional and start wars, start a nation, or if we get low kill ourselves in a brutal way that makes it litterally impossible for survival.

Wishes.
A girl with a husband/boyfriend as a doctor/scientist/politicia may wish for his success.
A girl may wish for a cure of a disease and it would magically appear.

When you give men magical powers that scale with emotion, you end up with this.

Depressed girls
>wear black
>smoke
>like art
>kiss other girls

Depressed boys
>play loud music
>do all sorts of vandalism
>self harms intentionally for attention or unintentionally for his friends and internet amusement
>shoot schools

Men would probably be too good at hunting witches slowing down the rate of boys turning into more witches

Men would start hunting other men for the hell of it.

>This isn't really a plot hole, but why the fuck is it only that girls are targeted and not boys? They never even tried to explain why only girls can be used for this.

They did explain this highschool girls had much stronger emotions that would leadthem to despair so they become witches.

But enough of that lets talk about Mami's mamis.

>They never even tried to explain why only girls can be used for this.
He said that pubescent girls gave them "the best results". They didn't explicitly say that it was impossible or forbidden to use boys for this but we can deduce this is why we don't see any magical boys.

More like this?

I'd suck the milk out of them while she gives me a handy.

I would interrupt my shitposting to stomp him with my boots

>trusting Kyubey
There's really no reason to even believe he's telling the truth.

It's not just about emotion in general, but the specific "phase change" of emotion from hope to despair. Women are also statistically thrice as likely to attempt suicide than men, if that counts for something (even if men are thrice as likely to successfully die from an attempt).

Or, if you want a Doylist explanation, genre convention. It's a magical *girl* show.

>Kyubey says that magical girls and witches are responsible for society moving forward? He also says that were it not for magical girls, people would probably still be in caves without clothes?
As usual he says what suits him at the moment. Those might not be outright lies but you can be sure he did not mentioned everything.
It might just mean that humanity would take few hundred / thousand years longer, not that they'd never leave caves and create civilization.
Don't take anything that white rat says at face value.

>women can't even kill themselves properly
And they wonder why they weren't allowed to vote

No one can vote when they're dead

Because when girls made wishes, they made wishes for their men. For instance, when Cleopatra made a wish, she likely made a wish for her ideal lover, not for Egypt to be strong by itself.

Joan of Arc's canonical wish was 'to bring Light to France'. A lot of primitive magical girls probably made wishes like "I want my family to be happy" "I want to be provided for" "I wish for the persecution of Jews to end."

Like, Anne Frank's *wish* affected the greater world. The magical girl herself was a footnote in history.

Men would also wish for more inherently destructive or visible wishes. Hell, if you really want to stretch the hypothesis, maybe people like Julius Caesar, Hitler, Muhammad and so on were prototype 'magical boys' until the Incubators realized that they could potentially wipe their own species out.

Reminder the only way to defeat Kyubey is through dialectical materialism.

Which is just a shit cover so they don't have to say "because cute girls sell better"

Kyubey = XENOCIDE BAIT

haha thats like saying punpun is evil or something don't be ridiculous

next you'll say puck will destroy the world.

That's not what the propagandists said before the election.

Boys are not pure.

As for why the past Magical Girls were opressed, look at what happened to Kyoko. Back when religion was a lot more powerful in the world, any magical girl found would probably be blamed for the Witch attacks and executed

I'd rather see a medieval era show set in the madoka-verse about some magical girls fighting off threats to their little country village, whilst trying to avoid getting executed by the church, than adding anything else to Madoka's story

>implying men in power weren't smart enough to keep hold of their magical wizard chicks by essentially enslaving them and keeping them from doing asshat things like sperging into full witch and the like
also this makes me wonder whether magical artifacts like excalibur and the like exist in madokaverse, odds are more then likely several women over the course of history wished for weapons to slap the shit out of whatever problems plagued them, and in which case men eventually got a hold of them once the original owners go full retard over some dumb shit turning witch or straight out and out get executed for being a magical heretic witch.
so my bet is theres some seriously magical weaponry lieing around fuck knows where and odds are high ups in the madokaverse have some way of keeping a handle on witch retardation or that world would have been blown to shit ages ago.