Solve this Sup Forumstards

What's the answer?

BTW 97% of the students who appeared for the exam, got the answer right.

wouldn't it be 26^7

Read the rules, sage all spam, "I demand that you answer this question" is not legitimate.

muh dick

This board is for politics, finding statistical probability of Trump typing covfefe is relevant.

100%, bc it happened

>burger education

what’s the probability OP is within 20 feet of a functioning toilet?

100%.
Cause I am within 20 feet of two toilets

>Because hes right

Prove it Pajeet

Keep your shitty homework questions in

I didn't know 26^7 was a measure of time...

floor doesnt count as a toilet

26^7 cycles mother fucker. Software pun!

Are they both haunted by a witch?

Wouldn't you need a certainty threshold? Like how long until a 95 percent chance that it will appear. Theoretically it could never appear.

Did not take statistics 2 (took calc 1, 2, linear alg, discrete math). What kind of problem is this as far as the U is concerned?

It's a MStat question, only people from Statistics can solve this I suppose.
>tfw too brainlet to solve this.

Well, your homework from this week probably had the same question, but different variables so it should be easy.

>26 possible English alphabets
>26 alphabets
>26 sets of 26 letters

Indian education, everyone.

>Can a burger compose a symphony?
Can you pajeet?

((1/26)^7)*(Time to type one letter)

But seriously pajeet, going to Sup Forums to cheat on tests... Don't you have any friends?

Faggot.

Nice, nigger. I actually took out a pad and solved it before reading further. Then said exactly that. This is what shills think is baffling math.

Indian parenting, everyone.

No, adjust that... ((1/26)^7) is the probability that the word COVFEFE is typed and not any other 7-letter word

incorrect because he would post it on twitter not facebook you poo in loo

More like Burger indoctrination.

(26^7)*(time to type 1 letter) to be exact

It's an expected value question. So you're just looking for k when ev=1. So calculate the chance of hitting it in the first 7letters. 1/26^7. Then add that to itself until you get 1. 26^7.

It's a deceptively easy problem.

Go take a shit in the street and you'll find the answer.

Im going to take measure theory in like a year or so
Sup Forums ain't dummy boi

>ignoring case

How can you answer without knowing the time per key input? I could see if the question asked for the probability of typing COVFEFE

Yes. Given that all occurrences are statistically independent, this isn’t even a conditional probability problem: the probability of [typing “o” given the previous was “c”] is really just the [probability of typing “o”], and so on.

Of course Pajeet was clueless, so he turns to his colonial masters once again for help.

I'm white, nigger.

>being a codecuck

Gross 23 and me bro. That is like saying a glass of water is pure when it is only 29% human feces

The questions from a poo mathematician. English not a strong suit. They're conflating time and k value. It's forgivable.

You knew wtf they meant. Write a note clarifying your interpretation to justify your answer and you're fine, you fuck. And i say this with love. I've met great people who quibble over this shit. Solve your best bet of what you think they mean. You'll be right 99.9% of the time you care what they think. They might be stupid cunts. That's when you don't care.

(26^7)/2

Suppose you would solve for number of keystrokes. After all, [t=(time per key input)*(keystrokes)] anyway.

The word in the question is all uppercase. It's reasonable to restrict the pool of letters to only uppercase ones.

Indian genetics, everyone.

Hello, fellow mutt.

the funny part is that I had to do a similar problem in a first year undergrad CS class at my university ... I don't remember how to do it but if I had the energy to go back to my notes I would find a way.

2 hands?

I'm from Hawaii. Hawaii was island niggers til white people showed up. Brits brought in Portuguese to manage natives because natives useless. Then brought in japs, chinks, and flips to work instead of natives. Then the japs then chinks then flips took over. Koreans and vietdogs trying to take over now. Portuguese totally stepped over. Hawaii thinks Portuguese are retards. Retards with great food.

How come you're smart?

Fuck off street shitter

I would give answers for both, tbqh.

Mathematical statistics is what you get when a bunch of pedantic morons with bad taste ask all the wrong questions.

Over achieving faggot. You're the genius that sat in the front row. pol's all about the genius that sat in the back.

~t. Genius in the back

If you’re smart and you’re born in Europe or the US you don’t need to leave your country to find work. The ones that do are always weaker specimen. If they were any good they could find work back home.

Instead they get dumped on other countries.

Fuck you!! I'm superior Jap!!!! My dumbass friend says we're superior Jap because Tom Cruise caused all the strong Jap blood to die. So basically I'm Samurai instead of farmstock.

T. Actually outed fleeing abortionist to the royalty stock. And some scum fisherman. Teehee

He lives between two of the designated shitting streets in his town.

BTW, the real answer is 26^7+26^4+26 using Doob's optional stopping theorem.

Scratch that, it's 26^7.

No, I was the guy who skipped all my homework, and later on, classes; only showed up for tests, got A's on them, pissed off all teachers.

Yeaaaaaah boi!

Still, you're a faggot for thinking you needed to provide both answers. Fuck them. If they provide a shit question, answer it and tell them to fuck themselves if they try to debate you.

Seriously, brofist.

What the fuck led you to the first answer? Earnest question. It's an intriguingly wrong answer.

nah, expected time is basically the weighted average but since it's uniform it's just half.

This was my first instinct. But you're thinking about when you would bet even money on the occurrence. That's not the same thing as when you can expect the first occurrence. This is a very interesting question because the poo language makes you wonder if it's statistics or combinatorics or game theory.

Your thinking game theory when it's actually a combinatorics question. Ev NEEDS to be 1 to fulfill the language.

I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

Ev is not 1 at k=26^7/2. I'm serious, user. When you would bet on something is not the same as when to expect something. And that's what i consider to be a profound statement based on my gambling and trading. Unironically.

The 50% difference between what I'm saying and what you're saying is the realm of the quant. It's the realm of the forecaster/predictor. Don't confuse it with statistical certainty.

Answer not defined
Kys poo, even your exams are a pile of shit

>I'm white, nigger.
made me laugh

lol thanks for that, will help my husband accept you're more than just "street shitters".

Lot of nomathers ITT.

desu idk and idc. i know calculus and differential equations and stats is a bunch of bs i don't want to waste my time doing desu.

nigger this is a simple permutation fuck outta here with this freshman statistics shit

>wake up
>take a shit
>already ahead of the Indian curve within fifteen minutes of being awake

COVFEFE

took me 1805024 tries

It's not even permutation. Solve it. It's a trick question.

Not gonna do your highschool stats homework for you pajeet.

also
>26 possible english alphabets

are you on a cross section?

771053770 is not a time

Doob's optional stopping theorem ;) and it was a wrong wrong answer, I meant to type 26^7+26^4+26^2. That's the answer for "FEVFEFE".

The theorem shows that you can't make money by using the retarded martingale roulette strategy where you bet $1, then $2 if you lose, then $4 if you lose again... in a somewhat more general setting, of course.

You transport the betting strategy to the typing monkey like this. Say you're waiting for the monkey to type "ABC", and can bet on the letters at fair odds, i.e. $1 wagered -> $26 if the letter comes up. You bet $1 if A comes up, you bet your entire $26 winnings if B comes up, and your entire $26^2 winnings if C comes up. Doob's theorem shows the strategy has expected value zero, and this implies the number of failed starting bets (= the waiting time for the sequence) is equal to the payoff of the winning bet.

But what happens if you bet on "ABAB"? If "AB" comes up, you have to bet twice on the second A: once to complete the sequence, and once to start a new one, and so the expected waiting time/number of failed bets is not 26^4, but 26^4+26^2. Similarly, "FEVFEFE" has expected waiting time 26^7+26^4+26^2. But "COVFEFE" doesn't have any letters that require you to have >=2 concurrent bets, so its waiting time is just 26^7.

We don't know that k

What you and everyone else is missing is that the first letter doesn’t have to be C. The string can appear after any number of letters. Of course the answer isn’t 26^7. Look at the other questions, none are that easy.

Each letter has a 1/26 chance of occurring.
Seven in a row is (1/26)^7.

>asks for answer in a unit of time
>doesn't provide any units of time in question

impossible to answer, pajeet

The question is a pure trolling one since you dont even have an estimated number for characters by unit of time. Also the sequence can be infinite (ridiculous but still not specified by a limit).

Eh, you're right. Nobody took the bait in the original image anyway. Let's agree that Trump is an absolute beast and can mash away at the keyboard at the fastest rate possible by the Cherry MX switches he types on. The debounce rate claimed by Cherry is 5ms, so let's say the keyboard registers a key every 10ms. That means that he would have 100 keystrokes per second typing speed. It'd still take him slightly over 30 months or about two and a half years to do it.

That's the magic of martingales, friendo. And everyone else would have given the wrong answer for "ABCABCA". That easy answer for the waiting time is correct for the wrong reasons.

You answer in characters typed instead of time units then. And (1/26)^7 is wrong because after he types 7 characters he does not delete them but keep typing. The question is valid.

If its the actual isolated word, yes.
>(1/26)^7 singular
>(1/26)^8 if first plus another (space in between)
>(1/26)^9 if in between (plus two spaces)

Question is still troll. You dont have the rate nor the limit.

You don't need rate. You answer in characters typed.
As there are 26 charterers, there are no spaces, so you're clearly incorrect about that one too. And (1/26)^7 is still incorrect. for reasons that should be obvious to you.

>expected time of first appearance

Show me your Putin physics roflmao

The other 3% didn't have enough money to bride to examiner.

Here.
>answer: it's the time Trump takes to type N characters

compare this to

>answer: this is literally impossible to solve

Guess which one will get better marks?

It doesn't matter that he keeps typing, since there are no substrings of COVFEFE that start at C inside COFEFE, i.e., every time you make a mistake, you must start at the beginning. 26^7 is correct.

Consider this problem: Trump types 7 characters. After he types 7 characters, the result is compared to covfefe. If they match, the experiment stops, otherwise, go to step 1.
For this, the expected time to get covfefe is indeed 1 / (1/26)^7. But this is very different from the problem in OP. In this, if he types FCOVFEFE, there is no match: FCOVFEF is not covfefe, and E is just a first letter of the next word. But with the phrasing as in OP, FCOVFEFE would definitely be the word covfefe observed in trump's stream of letters.

This is some pretty advanced stuff, measures, convergence almost surely...is this grad level statistics?

Doesn't matter. It always starts at a C. If he types a C, he has 26^6 to go. If not, he has 26^7 to go. The problem would differ only if there were valid substrings, like if the word were COCFEFE. Then if he has typed COC, the next could be either F or O and still be a part of the valid string.

>Doesn't matter.
So do you think the the problem I posted has the same answer as the problem in OP?

Seems some kind of advanced statistics class. Probably those where students work with a ton of different distribution types (not my thing but I have seen it). Its also weird because the poo professor considered 1 key per second and declared it took 26^7 seconds to type it lol.
Also the problem seems to have gone viral. OP pajeet most likely isnt among said teachers class though.

>*those students work