nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=897178
youtube.com/watch?v=mY9gVIcRkkI
mentalfloss.com/article/57195/50-spanish-english-false-friend-words
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_friend
fluentu.com/french/blog/faux-amis-french-false-friends-cognates/
englisch-hilfen.de/en/words/false_friends.htm
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_false_friends
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

according to Nyaa, these subs are A+ quality.
Fucking nepotism.
>CR releases bullshit script
>FFF doesn't touch it except to add karaoke and translations for the songs
>FFF release is now marked as ebin A+ quality
Proof of nepotism right there

theyre fucking awful. i watch them when they come out so i didnt know about FFF, but if they really are doing that, then thats the epitome of lazy fan subbing

They justify themselves saying CR's script is good enough
Let me quote Naine, one of their guys
>It’s edited, but most of CR’s translation is left intact because it’s actually good. The added references to heaven and hell are English figures of speech which would be appropriate in a translation to English of any show. Nothing is being “changed”.

no, you don't. you know a very literal translation of a few phrases and think that you'd better write the script out because of it.

Fuck off, Naine

It's not even a question of knowing enough Japanese to know they're wrong. It's about knowing enough English for the subtitles to be jarringly bad.

iirc blue is supposed to be for the best available english subs for that series. The only subs are HS and FFF, so FFF being blue is correct.

I started getting this too since I've been watching a ton of anime for a few months now. Most recent anime I caught this happening was with Konosuba. The mask demon guy called the lich girl a bimbo the but the subs translated to "knucklehead." Fucking SJW's, I swear to god

lol

being able to understand how to contextualize and keep tone is important, which most people don't get at all.

No. It isn't. There's a ton of anime that don't have any blue releases
Blue is supposed to be a mark of top tier quality. Not of just being better than the competition. But it's actually is a mark of nepotism
Nah. If there were SJWs in the subbing teams, Masamune-kun's subs wouldn't use trap for that one scene. SJWs despise the word trap and refuse to listen to any logic about it

>lol
You sure proved me wrong, Naine

It's more due to how CrunchyRoll TLs have a vast range in quality. Sometimes they're using one of the fansubbers that was decent, other times they're using one of the shit fansubbers they hired who is closer to Duwang-tier. You used to be able to avoid shitty fansub groups, but you can't avoid shitty fansub group when they're ALL using the same group name (Horriblesubs) nao.

Dude

weed

it's time (again)

If you can't watch it raw then no, you don't know enough to make a call on anything.

That reminds me of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Because it is. "The empty barrel makes the most noise".

>people keep complaining about one of the better simulcast scripts of the season while there's barely a peep about the bad ones like maidragon

This thread really tickles me pink.

Should have brought the kitchen sink.

Every sub is completely fine, relax goyim

If you know enough japanese, then maybe you can take the effort to go a bit further, and refrain from fucking sub drama.

Bass pls.

But I agree with you for the most part. You nor anyone else shouldn't take nyaa seriously at all.

>nor
or

How do you know I'm bass?

You know, NT has actual translators evaluating things like translation quality, including script accuracy. Having enough issues in that department is the fastest way to get disqualified for A+.

The fact that actual translators have no issues with this (and even praise the TL quality) should really be a moment for you to look inward and realize that maybe you don't actually know as much Japanese as you think (see ) rather than claim that you actually know better than them despite admitting that you can't actually watch shows raw.

Anons are gun-shy about trusting that a TL isn't just fucking with them. I blame Commie.

They are extremely fucking dumb puns. They're unberable, goddammit.

"goddammit"

not sure if wordplay in a gabdrop thread or

Kill yourself you bald fuck, Herkz is an autist.

Why are you bringing herkz into this? He has nothing to do with TL evaluation for NT A+, seeing as he's not a translator.

Hell, no!

>destroyer of fansubs approves of shitsubbing
Why am I not surprised.

>not watching a show live

There is not a single thing wrong with calling herkz an autist at any opportunity.

Not that I disagree but in that case there should have been a period instead of a comma in that sentence.

I know Japanese and there are lines that outright ignore the original sentence to stick in some shitty "joke".

>know enough japenise to be disappointed with subs
>don't know enough to just rawdog it
this is hell

Let me ask you a quick test question.

What does Bitch mean when a Japanese person says it?

They're not wrong, they're just trying way too hard to insert contemporary slang into the dialogue and failing embarrassingly

2am, typos happen.

Your momma :^)

>nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=897178
>56 comments

>Jap says word in Engrish
>subs translate it as a synonym to that word instead

>You know, NT has actual translators evaluating things like translation quality, including script accuracy. Having enough issues in that department is the fastest way to get disqualified for A+.
The original script is not full of heaven/angel puns. The translation is full of heaven/angel puns.
You are clearly either lying or those actual translators are doing a bad job. Which is it?

We had a discussion about the transition a couple threads ago, and by we I mean me and one other guy who knows moon. These subs are shit, and the meme cartel is a bunch of losers who really need a win in their lives, so they pretend really hard to be "professional translators".

There is nothing wrong with using idioms in translation, the fact that they're thematically fitting doesn't make them somehow wrong or bad translation either.

>There is nothing wrong with using idioms in translation
youtube.com/watch?v=mY9gVIcRkkI

The fact that they're often things that people don't actually say in normal conversation and that they're generally awkwardly squeezed into the dialogue detracts and distracts

GOT EM GOOD

Liberal use of idioms and jokes that were in no form present in the original script are not a good translation. People who watch a show want to know what the author thinks the characters should say, not what you think would be a funny line. Keep the English natural and match tone, cadence, speech styles, etc. to Japanese, but don't add ideas and personalities that simply aren't there.

>B-But you don't know moon
Let's skip this part. I do. I'm also the same guy who explained why your Barakamon subs were shit a while back. No, I'm not coming to your IRC channel to talk to your team of "professional translators" because you don't actually know Japanese and can't provide any sort of meaningful discussion on the topic.

>awkwardly squeezed
thats not the only thing I want awkwardly squeezed

Seriously? My sides!

>NT has actual translators evaluating things like translation quality, including script accuracy
so does crunchyroll

Adding constant angel/heaven references actually does change the tone of the show though. If it only happened rarely it'd be one thing, but when every second line gets rewritten to have a totally appropriate (actually not appropriate) idiom added then it makes the script different.
If they were just regular idioms then people might complain, but the way they're all themed makes it obvious that the translator is bored of his job and is trying to come up with his own jokes. It would be better if he just stuck to translating. If he wants to be a writer he should try writing his own stuff, not just editing other people's work.

His sides!

M I S L A D O S
I
S

L
A
D
O
S

>he thinks CR has a dedicated TLC team

So you are saying that it is fine to change the author's work to add "themes" that aren't originally present just because it fits?

aren't you just being self entitled thinking that you know what is best for the people?

Even if CR had a dedicated TLC team (which they don't btw) you're literally making an argument FOR the translation you've been given, not against, because that means multiple "professional" translators liked this script rather than the single one TLing it.

It just kills me when people who don't know Japanese hear a loanword and then flip out over the subs not matching the one word they recognized. Like this guy here

You could make the case that it is acceptable if it makes it better. I mean, some people will argue that accuracy is the most important thing, but if the writing ends up being genuinely improved that is a good thing. Just in this case that clearly didn't happen since everyone hates it.
I guesss the moral of this story is if you're going to edit a translation to make it better than you should actually do a good job.

It's stuff like this that always makes me say that subbers are full of shit when they talk about "equivalence". A meme needs to be localized into another meme because it would be "wrong" not to. However a plain line in the original can be made into a meme anyways because "equivalence" just means "I prefer it this way. Neener-neener".

What about it being a mistranslation of the original tone? Why is it OK to take liberties?

but the themes are originally present and if you learned more japanese maybe you'd realize that.

Except that nothing is being "changed" if the translation is accurate. I've seen a lot of people complaining that just the usage of idioms in itself would somehow be "incorrect", which is just completely idiotic. If the meaning is the same, the meaning is the same. Sure, they might be trying a bit too hard with choosing ways that include thematic wording at times, but on the whole that's a far less offense than if they were phoning it in all the time instead and ending up with awkward, bad or just plain wrong translations (which is pretty much what describes the official maidragon subs, not these ones).

Yeah, I sure do love it when idioms such as "WE WEIRDO NOW" get thrown into commie A+ rated subtitiles.

>but the themes are originally present and if you learned more japanese maybe you'd realize that.
つまりお前は日本語ができると言っているだろ?

>(which is pretty much what describes the official maidragon subs, not these ones).

Are you forgetting the kitchen sink incident or are you pretending to be retarded?

Fucking seriously though, their konosuba releases were fucking garbage, commie tier

mentalfloss.com/article/57195/50-spanish-english-false-friend-words
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_friend
fluentu.com/french/blog/faux-amis-french-false-friends-cognates/
englisch-hilfen.de/en/words/false_friends.htm
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_false_friends

Yeah, and I don't need google translate either.

On a few Kanji jokes like how Datenshi is written. That one is clever or curious at least. The Hell's Kitchen bulllshit was a terrible asspull. That stupid 3rd grader humor doesn't fit the show. It's like Maria from Haganai is replacing every noun in the script with "poop" because she thinks it's funny. Pathetic.

Except the transition isn't accurate because of a character is speaking in normal Japanese and you translate it into abnormal English, you've killed the tone and added a quirk that wasn't there. ESL tier literally translations are shit, too, but what you're advocating for is still bad.

>nothing is being "changed"
Nigga there's a hell of a big difference in tone and feel between a show that's constantly throwing angel puns at you and one that isn't necessarily
Although the rest of what you said is agreeable

誰がググる使ってんだ、このばかやろう。できるなら返事しろ。できないなら黙れ

Piss off.

>People arguing with Daiz

What do you expect him to do, even if he relents and says the translators are shit, he won't suddenly find or acquire better translators.

The most he can do is stop giving them bullshit ratings on Nyaa but I doubt that will matter for most things since shows are probably jusg going to have to deal with CR scripts either way.

well you missed so close buddy
who's this bastard?

Oh what's that? You're just like Daiz in that you don't actually speak a lick of moon but pretend to know how translations work? Let me guess, you're an editor or typesetter for one of the shit groups he's involved with.

まじて?俺の腰!www

I simply don't need to prove my qualifications to you. If you're happy with people bitching about one of the few really good official translations in a sea of actually terrible translations so be it.

>If the meaning is the same, the meaning is the same
So what, You're telling me there's absolutely no difference with using the words Feces, Poop, Crap and Shit because they're all synonyms? Are you retarded? The vocabulary that is used tells you a big deal of someone's background. The japanese play with this using their normal speech/respect speech puns, but when you pull from your ass hick idioms and shove it in that character's mouth, you change their character. You change the feel of the show by putting retarded heaven/hell puns. It really feels the demographic is not seinen anymore but goddamn kodomo.

Why don't they just hire norway and let whitepod do the QC?

Or shonen. Whatever, i can't tell the difference in SoL shows.

>I literally can't prove anything
Didn't think so.

>Seriously in? My waist!
Seriamente? Meus lados! k k k k k

Daiz just stick to your field of knowledge, or shill about fakku

you're mean

We all know that Daiz won't reply to this

Of course he won't. Their shit translations are no better than garbage 1:1 literal translations, but they just bank on no one who tells them that their translations are shit getting able to understand moon and write anything resembling proper English. Daiz himself didn't know moon, so unless he can get someone from his IRC channel to show up and defend him, he can't even pretend to make a point.

Haven't seen this show, but I know this feel all too well...
/DJT/ got boring to me a while ago and I'm lazy and can't be bothered to keep learning...

what do?

Meanwhile we're stuck with this

>arguing with the bald headed 10-bit man about liberal/meme translations
It's pointless given his history and the groups he was involved in.

fucking commie

Серьезно? Мои бока! ололололололол

I remember Crunchy's Charlotte subs being an utter disaster.

Which is only fitting for a show that was also an utter disaster.