Is it really a big deal or is Reddit just overinflating it?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/153172010/#153176056
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

litterally nothing will change

It's a big deal, but so long as Reddit is investing so much of their moral authority into fighting it I don't give a fuck.

Am I right? It mainly doesn't affect us since we're not American?

I hope this is the case at least. Sweden, I must confess, despite you mocking me. I love you. No, I'm IN love with you. I want to make ISP babies with you. I want you to take me away from all of this drama.

I know nothing about it other than Reddit being hysterically pro-neutrality, so it’s probably bad

if reddit is shilling it i dont even acknowledge it 2bh. ill just assume its retarded faggotry

Cuck
It won't affect anyone outside of the US, although it could affect Sup Forums since the server is located in the US. Enjoy the shitstorm

It doesn't whatsoever. The only people who will be impacted are Americans, and even then it's just leverage for the telecom companies over the video streaming companies. If you're not an HD video streaming junkie, you won't notice a thing, and even then you won't unless the streaming companies don't cough up some money to the internet service providers. Don't listen to the fearmongering "THEY'RE GONNA TAKE OUR 4CHINZ!!!!" people.

I'm for it being abolished, just because this will give kikes the incentive to increase their prices, which should hypothetically make it easier for other ISP to gain a bigger share of the market. Although if that doesn't work, any ISP can compete for clients via lowering their prices below what their competitors offer.

You have to pay steam and youtube monthly to use their services. Fuck that

Ah well, I await the celebration (or crying) tomorrow

Oh no the internet will be like it was before net neutrality... I don't see the difference. If it's a republicans idea, they just hate it.

you didn't have to do that from 2003/2005-2015
why would you have to do it 2015-onward
what's changed exactly that suddenly makes breaking data plans into chunks a sound business model

>ISP
>not monopolized to death decades ago

And protip: Ending NN will do nothing but empower the monopoly even more.

Half and half, basically the worst this is gonna do is lead to ISPs throttling competing apps/services to the apps/services that these ISPs have financial ties to
If our ISP situation wasn't a fuckfest and didn't have monopolies across the country, this wouldn't be a big deal and would just be more leftists crying over Trump removing an Obama change

>all of society should have to subsidise my vidya habit

>If it's a democrat idea, they just hate it.

Perfectly summed up """Sup Forums's""" opinion on NN.

Yeah, if you're lucky enough to have more than one ISP in your region. Lots of places don't, which is the main problem here. You're giving monopolies unchecked power. Literally sucking kike's mutilated cock.

I am in favour of less access to the internet, desu.

No, that's not how it's going to work at all, actually. You've bought into the fearmongering. Remember the subscriptions that you had to pay prior to 2015 when NN was legislated? These companies are drawing in record profits as is, they're going to have to cough some of that up, worst case scenario, to continue ensuring their virtual virtual monopolies or users will experience throttling. To charge subscriptions would be suicide for especially YouTube, and a different (likely ISP-led) alternative would be put in place.

They're most likely over inflating it, and most likely nothing will change.

Think of it like this, back in the day the internet used to be for the foxes and wolves. Now all of the grazers have caught up, and the internet is being tailored for them. If in some slim chance they shut it all the fuck down, I won't have to read some random nigger's opinion anymore.

So overall healthier competition? I think is right that unless you host websites or upload data at 2TB per second 90% pf people won't care.

I dunno Netflix in New Zealand sucks so I just torrent all my shit + I never buy video games so I torrent that as well. If major corporations want to take action fine. I'm a filthy pirate anyway who deserves to be punished

96% of Americans have access to at least 2 internet service providers. ~75% have 3 or more options.

We've had net neutrality. Have your prices for service increased or decreased over the course of that policy? Increased across the board, you say? Wow, great job net neutrality.

It's literally nothing. Net neutrality helped ZERO end users in tangible ways that matter (i.e. prices for service). It only helped smaller sized corporations to avoid paying into the infrastructure that they themselves utilize. Ending net neutrality ends an aspect of corporate welfare.

Its what we need for a true ancap society

The only people who voted for Trump are rural and suburban retards.

City people all voted for Hillary.

Has reddit ever been right about anything?

Learn what a monopoly is first, I think you're trying to say oligopoly.

The free market doesn't work if there is only one provider.
That's why Net Neutrality is a good thing.
Stop cucking to the big TelCos and think about it for a minute.

Sup Forums has migrated servers before. Multiple times actually, back in the early days of old Sup Forums

Again, I don't care. Getting rid of NN would cause tons of negative things (higher prices) and potentially positive (more options) things alike to occur.

>Learn what a monopoly is first
There is no choice in providers in many places in my state. None. Either comcast or verizon. They have it worked out.

>Basing the validity of a claim off its supporters

Of course they haven't. Their entire business model is based on turning a blind eye to corporate and political interests to rum amok in exchange for money. There is no nuance or equivocation whatsoever, the users are just the unwitting pawns of whoever feels like sticking their finger into the pie at the time. They always take extreme stances as a result to nobody's benefit but the companies who they're unwitting pawns to.

It is a big deal, but not nearly as doomsday like as plebbitors make it out to be.

The leftist strategy seems to be find something that can be bad, hype the shit out of it and lose connection to reality.

If you are concerned at all about this from the Leddit-tier fear-mongering, you're way too susceptible to shit. In the worst case; the absolute WORSE case, Americans will have to pay slightly more to access Netflix and JewTube (50+% of all bandwidth used). The likelihood of this happening is incredibly small. Should net neutrality have been abolished? Probably not. Is it a big deal? Fuck no.

>It only helped smaller sized corporations to avoid paying into the infrastructure that they themselves utilize.
This.

I don't see why the people who built and maintain the physical internet infrastructure shouldn't have good say in how it's regulated. The infrastructure is tapped out because of a few online video streaming companies that push for NN because it prevents them from having to pay their share to upgrade the lines/infrastructure.

Stop... Stop tieing NN to Lefties or rights.

I mean the fact that they can limit what sites load fast or slow should be a huge red flag to you since people have the attention pan of 0.2 seconds on the internet and if it isn't satisfied, they'll press X and try another site. Think about the implications here and how easy it'll be to control what news sources people use, for example. Of course, Sup Forums doesn't give a flying fuck because of the retarded "us vs. them" mentality americans have about everything (dems vs republicans, Sup Forums vs reddit, my car brand vs yours), but giving all the power to ISP's is extremely retarded. Enjoy having 10 different subscriptions to browse at normal pace

> basically the worst this is gonna do is lead to ISPs throttling competing apps/services to the apps/services that these ISPs have financial ties to
There are already fucking laws against this, jackass, and don't fucking say, "WELL, THEY'RE MORE LIKELY TO BREAK THEM." If that was the case, muh net neutrality would have never worked in the first place.

Kinda, "healthier competition" in the sense that it'll slightly increase competition, and something good may come out of it because of all the attention it is getting. People do not seem to realize that there would be larger incentives for the current ISPs to charge lower prices than their competitors (if they do increase prices), because they will a bigger share of the market, and gain larger profits from doing so. Remember that a wild card in all of this is the degree to which the consumers are aware of alternatives to their current ISPs, since this is getting tons of attention, assuming NN gets abolished, people will be aware of any price differences for other ISPs, and will do more research on offered services.

Is it true it will just be the internet in 2014? That doesn't sound so bad.

the internet is better without net neutrality.

The corporate side of me is saying yes abolish because it'll definitely mean more $$$. The consumer side of me is saying no but I only ever use Sup Forums, reddit, tumblr, kikebook, etc nothing that heavy and if economics classes have ever taught me anything, companies can plan and colude way better than consumers so companies will definitely win

>WORSE case, Americans will have to pay slightly more to access Netflix and JewTube
Dude, your monopolistic ISP system would allow your ISPs to charge anything they want for a non-net neutral service. You already have a shitty service, you already can't choose because it's not a free market. It's a completely internally controlled one. What makes you think that the market will regulate itself, when they can increase their profit margins? After all, the company has a legal duty to the shareholders to maximise profit. If they don't abuse the system the shareholders could legitimately sue.

quick rundown? It's actually pretty surprising people on pol think like this. I've mostly gone to reddit for this and it's non stop whining about how bad it'll be

>Reddit likes it so it must be bad
Way to form an opinion.

>Leafposting
GTFO.

overinflating. I cared at first, put than people acted like internet would be shut down and every site would go offline or something. insane idiots don't get that you can't just throw around baseless shit like that. Now i want burgers to repeal net neutrality. They'll see it's not that bad.

Also, i want netflix to get that call ''uuhm comcast here, about 60% of the usage of our infrastructure is for your shitty SJW netflix series, so if you ever want your customers to stream 4k hd comfy, you're going to have to pay up''

if this happened, which it wont because isps arent retarded, there would be pressure to fix the actual problem, government mandated monopolies. at BEST net neutrality is a bandaid.

>2 or 3 ISPs are a real choice
I have access to over 12 in my area alone. You guys don't have a choice.

>Muh Americans r dum meme
>Muh small attention spans meme
>Muh 'subscriptions' meme
You faggots have no fucking idea what infrastructure changes would be required to 'throttle' in the first place. Would literally take years. Shut the fuck up.

I'm not denying that abolishing NN would not have negative consequences for the consumers (in the short-run), but I believe that it has potential for spurring more competition- assuming prices are increased by competitors. If this is able to spur more options (more competitors ro enter the market) in the future, I personally do not mind it, even if it affects me.

I would compare this to rent control in cities, some people think they are good, but do not realize the strain it places on housing supply. Get rid of the rent control, and prices would soar for everyone (outrageous prices) in the short-run- causing more housing developments to occur (increased profits provide incentives to construct more). Once the market is over supplied, prices would decline and reach an equilibrium.

It won't affect us cunts directly. But since every server is located in America your Netflix and Spotify will be tripled in price

It's how i've formed my opinions ever since before the Shazbowl. Fuck off back to your home site, kiddo.

How about you do that first. Your ISP market is a fucking joke compared to most civilised countries. I mean I have over 10 ISPs to choose from in my area, you guys are lucky if you have 3.

NN is a codeword for antiwhite

Do you know what an oligopoly is?

I heard that people who are only able to access one ISP (like Comcast being the only company in someone's town, for example) are going to be in danger of price hikes because they're a local monopoly.

Does Net Neutrality actually stop that from happening? I genuinely don't know.

>Your ISPs are already monopolies
>Somehow the prices will change after net neutrality
I have no idea what this argument ends.

>it'd take years so there's no way they'd go for it to control people :^)
unironically kys

Non nude. Fuckstick.

>The free market doesn't work if there is only one provider
>That's why one provider enforcing (((Net Neutrality))) is a good thing

That's not how the US ISP system works at all. The government is not controlling the monopoly that the ISPs have in the US. Where there is Verizon, there is NO Comcast. They have carved the US up the same way that a drug cartel does. That is a monopoly. Your assumption that the market will regulate itself, is about retarded as it gets. Can you point to a situation where a market, ANY market, that has ever regulated itself to the benefit of the customer and not the shareholders?

Daily reminder that NN

IS

NOT

A

FUCKING

PRICE

CONTROL

The only thing it will change is that if you want to choose to pay less in exchange for losing access to websites you never use you can.

Do you? The companies don't compete. They have set themselves up to NOT compete. That's not an oligopoly. Try looking at any other country and look at how their ISPs work.

>most capitalist country on earth
>people cry when people get their internet restricted because ISP want more money
That's what you get fuckers. Now stop crying.

>The government is not controlling the monopoly that the ISPs have in the US
source?
>Can you point to a situation where a market, ANY market, that has ever regulated itself to the benefit of the customer and not the shareholders?
bitcoin.

>Like any companies with be dumb enough to incite their users to pay less
Why would they do that even if they were getting money from large websites now?

>most capitalist country on earth
Are you retarded?

Because lowering their prices would also create business.

>reddit thinks net neutrality is network neutrality
you should gb2 it btw

But it wouldn't, there's nobody to compete with and there's nobody that's going to opt in for internet when they otherwise wouldn't just because it's cheaper.

Law of demand and it might even be more profitable if an ISP no longer needs to facilitate websites nobody ever uses.

>I don't have reasoning
Okay mate, short version: by making the FCC regulate ISPs as carriers they can't charge more or less for any data you download regardless of source. Meaning your browsing data is treated the same as your gaming data. If the FCC kills NN, you're allowing the US ISPs to create a tiered internet. So for example if you are a new company and you set yourself up online (not even talking about internet services here) if you don't pay the ISP more, you will end up on a more obscure package. Meaning other people's connection to you could be artificially throttled, limiting your ability to do business, and you may well have to do this with all the ISPs in the US, which would increase start-ups and kill small business.

But this board is anti-small business right?

>he fell for the fear tactics
fucking cuck NOTHING will change for citizens its mostly there so ISPs can start charging netflix and youtube to pay their fair share instead of making the ISP eat the costs which isnt very fair since theyll literally use 1000000x more bandwidth than all the other sites

>ISP monopoly
The US government does not hold shares in any ISP. They can make laws to regulate, but they do not control.
>Bitcoin
Bitcoin is not a market. It's a crypto-currency. Fucking educate yourself.

their userbase is 80% corporate shills and bots

They can tier and throttle the internet now. Title II doesn't protect people from that. And that literally wasn't a thing before Title II or even 2010. You realize how little the ISP protection towards websites abusing bandwidth which in itself limits small business IPs is right? Of course not. Big Nanny State Nigger needs Mark Kikerberg to shove his matza balls down my little fairy faggot THROAT

But there's only one supplier for most US regions and they don't lose anything by selling the ability to connect to websites when you never go to them. Maintaining connections to websites doesn't require some kind of per website maintenance, it's all going down the same wires.

So what does NN actually fucking DO?

>they create laws which ensure oligopolies, its totally more ethical and semantically convenient bro!!

Gives statists and Facebook a nice prostate massage

i swear Sup Forums is collectively god damn retarded but anyways:
This doesn't hit the rest of the world, only us amerimutts, however for us this allows ISP's to completely fuck their customer base, not every ISP will do so but people who are stuck with only one provider, I.E. someone whos not a literal nigger living in a major city, is gonna get fucked in the ass for this, for example i can only get comcast in my area, so i am completely and royally fucked by this,

That doesn't answer my question, you ancap faggot.

>Tiered now
Look you ancap fucknugget. Title 2 specifically stops ISPs creating a tiered internet. They are legally required to treat all traffic as equal, no matter where the data has come from. They can't charge you more for browsing Sup Forums compared to JewTube or Normiebook. If you don't realise that then get yourself off the internet, and go live in a shack. You're too retarded to be here. And that's saying something.

>Le unironically kys meme
If you actually fucking believe that they're going to do anything but demand that Google and Netflix pay the fair share for their bandwidth, you're uninformed. Net Neutrality died because of these two companies. If only you knew the ungodly amount of money that these two companies got away from paying. Without Netflix's OCAs, which I guarantee they're going to be adding a lot more of after this, they'd take up half or more of all broadband in all of North America. This is what this was all about. Corporation vs. corporation.

If you think they're going to 'le package,' you're fucking stupid. Data caps are so much fucking easier for dinky consumers to understand. That's not going to change. What will change is instillation of many new OCAs.

Pretty much makes it so that internet service providers can't put priority on traffic from one website over another, they have to treat data flowing in from Youtube the exact same as Data flowing in from websites that only get ten viewers a day.

its cause hes a meme spouting ANCAP nigger that thinks the free market fixes quite literally everything, so ignore his bix nood ass because he has no clue what in the actual shit he is talking about.

>We can't let them get away with this.

>implying this is at all how internet success works
If your content isn't already hosted on a popular platform (twitter, youtube, twitch, steam etc.) and you don't have any advertising you won't succeed even in the current market. People don't just sit down and google shit until they find something they like, they go to the hubs and aggregators of content which then draw them off to said niche sites.

>they don't lose anything by selling the ability to connect to websites when you never go to them
Sure they do, they lose the profit they could've made if they had charged for promotion of your site.

How would this change consumer prices, exactly? Nothing stopped them from raising prices before this.

Exactly what stops Comcast from raising your prices right now? NN doesn't.

>Title II specifically solves tiered internet and throttled internet

Utterly false archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/153172010/#153176056

It wasn't even an issue before 2010 lol

You literally don't understand the basic law behind Title II

>creating laws
Well you're an An-Cap so a) your opinion doesn't matter, and b) Net Neutrality does not effect the market. It effect the business practices of the ISPs who dominate the market. To be honest I think the US government should interfere and break up the monopoly that the US has. But that requires balls and the ability to limit what the lobbyists do in Washington. GOP and the Dems are equally to blame there.

>non-americans shilling for NN
Go back to plebbit, faggots. Sup Forums would be much better without mutts.

>Packing off the internet will change the overall price even if it actually existed
Again, retarded. This 'packaging' meme is Reddit-tier.

>the government created the oligopolies which was bad

>give them more oversight for a non-issue, thats a good trick

It's a big deal and it's also majorly advanced Judaism.

It pretends to keep the internet neutral by ensuring all regulations are at the carrier end, thereby making it cost prohibitive for new entrants, while allowing content sites to censor how they please.

The obvious result is that big carriers no longer have to fear new competition and DeepState does not have to allow free speech on their socmed platforms. Win-win for (((them))), getting fucked for us.