Shinji Ikari

What does Sup Forums think of him? I think he's a fantastic protagonist as he exemplifies the weaknesses we all feel. Thoughts anons?

I like him

>EVA thread where the OP doesn't start with a bait
I must be dreaming

I really liked his ending conclusion in episode 26, whereas in EoE he has good resolve but gets put on essentially hell on earth

He's probably my favorite fictional character. His character arc is probably the best anime has to offer.

Asuka would have been a better protagonist.

no

as a person he's an annoying faggot
as a character he's a haunting reminder of how much of a fucking coward I am

He's fun to pick on but very relateable. He does his best with what's in front of him. 10/10 character.

He's a shitty protagonist, but relateable for many of us who doubted ourselves and the actions of those around. He's a pile of shit but still 9/10

Very human. It's almost impossible to not find him relatable at one point

>relatable

Because we've all masturbated over a comatose girl at some point in our lives.

This user probably gapped over the gap scene kek

What?

You haven't?
fucking loser

>Anime Shinji

Good character, generally tries to do the right thing. And, then goes straight into crazy town, albeit justifiably.

>Manga Shinji
Dull, but largely inoffensive with bouts of being annoying.

>Rebuild Shinji
Is actually a scumbag.

Haha, yeah, nobody sane would do something like this

Why did he just revive Kaworu and spend an eternity doing straight, heterosexual things with him

Get in the fucking robot is symbolic of how we must actually do normal everyday things like a job even when we completely reject it, ultimately fail our interacted people and ruin things must still get in it and continue

He's the mascot of all miserable tfw no gf and all NEETS, a reminder of all pathetic we all are.

Its like I am Shinji, it feels so weird.

>Choke slams and masterbates all over his lessers

Shinji is alpha as fuck user

BITCH

I dont think you know what it means to be sexually frustrated user.

>weakness
Shinji is one bad ass dude. I wouldn't mess with him.

What did he do wrong? Pic related.

>what did he mean by this

hedgehog means has a tough time getting close to people, being too close means being pricked, being too far is emotional suffering

thats where you're wrong

I think the point of the character was to be as bland and boring as possible. The story is more about things that happen around Shinji that about things that his does.

he's basically like the holden caulfield of anime
his struggles are considerable but his response to them isn't particularly captivating

Well, of course (You) would relate to him, OP.

I hate him.

I would love shinji with such physicality, a passionate scrutiny only the most ardent of lovers can reveal to one another, Id lose my mind fellating him to an orgasmic stupor...pic related, the best of him

this little shit is annoying as fuck
misato/ritsuko are superior

A good character that doesn't deserve all the shit that's thrown at him

He's an annoying spineless piece of shit and spawned even worse wimpy faggot MCs to come later.

He's a giant literal homo.

I think he is a homosexual.

True. Normalfags and self-inserters can't appreciate that though.
He's a pathetic character, not just bland and boring. His inability to seize control of the situation makes him anti-heroic.

>scarred by parental neglect
>forced by circumstance to act
>unable to feel satisfied or secure
>not honest with self, or anyone else
he's like a teenage Tony Soprano that never beats anyone up and never gets any poosi

I though he was a shitty, boring, and uninteresting protagonist.
I also thought Eva is a lame anime

He does though a number of times. But his rejection to piloting the Eva is him trying to run away from his purpose in life

Its easy to say that shinji is a fag or that asuka is a bitch, but in reality eva has some of the best written characters and its always disheartening to see some one brush them off so easily.

Yeah. I mean he's not very decisive.

Hated him. He's a prime example of why "realism" doesn't make a character (or series) good. 14-year-olds are the most annoying people on the planet, the reason they act differently in fiction is because otherwise they'd be insufferable and unlikable.

I was with him until he murdered half the planet because he wanted to get some pussy.

Literally the only worse character than Shinji.

Gay
he wanted to get fucked.

I see too much of myself in Shinji and that terrifies me.

lil bitch

I think I am tired of your intensive memeva thread making, S.I. come to me as a white sheet of paper with the "I am supposedly damaged" words written in it with the ugly hand writing of a contrarian Japanese edgy faggot.

I honestly pity those who feel "sympathy" for that self-projected creator character but then I remember, it really doesn't matter what I think of you, you already know what everybody thinks of you.

but will you be my you know what ? that is the important question

Whiny baby who reminded me of every beta guy I've met who said "I'll kill myself if you don't do X."

Hated him. I think he was written to be hated tho

ok kid

>pathetic
>lonely
>coward
>probably dreams of death but is too much of a bitch to do it

idk he's pretty relatable to me.

So how many people do y'all think had the courage to come out of the tang and face the solipsism and isolation that is individual life?

I think Shinji is good test for compassion and empathy. A lot of people are blinded by their egos and don't have a lot of compassion to spare.

This is a real person who acts like Asuka. Please stop while you still have the time.

Annoying brat, but that was the point.

He's a good cello player!

A child who hasn't emotionally left his mother yet. A person who's not ready to see others as individuals. A shattered ego. An outsider that wants to be accepted. A boy who wants to be loved by a girl. A shut-in. A brave soul whose fear is to be abandoned. A caring person whose kindness is overshadowed by his own insecurities. A human.

>Rebuild Shinji
>Is actually a scumbag.
What? Don't tell me you fell for the Rebuild Misato thing of
>2.0 - Yeah! Go for it Shinji! I'm with you all the way!
>3.0 - Fuck you Shinji, why did you go for it? It's all your fault! This town's finished!

He avoids contact with others. He fears to feel other people. Being ignorant of others, he will never be neither betrayed nor hurt, yet he will never escape from feeling sadness. A person cannot erase sadness forever. Because everyone is alone. However, people can forget, thus able to live.

People always feel pain in their heart. The heart is easily feels pain, that's why living is painful.
Particularly, Shinji's heart is fragile like glass.
It is worthy of being treated with good will.

I'm saying, I love him.

>I came for cute girls in cool looking robots fighting giant aliens
>Stayed for the most relatable MC of all time

He's not the most fun character to follow, but damned if I didn't identify with him when i watched it for the first time. That "Hedgehog's Dilemma" stuff hit way too close to home, man.

See? Pretty normal stuff
Shinji is straight

from the Death and Rebuild booklet:
>The Fatal Disease

>A cowardly soul. A heart full of want. A desire to be loved.
>Ikari Shinji.
>The day he headed for the land of destiny was coincidentally the day of the first Angel attack in 15 years.
>His father’s order. The adults’ expectations. An injured girl.
>“I mustn’t run away.”
>He repeats like a spell and pilots the Eva.
>Sortie. Berserk. Battle. Defense. Strategy. Defeat. Ambush. Crushing. Retreat. Berserk. Destruction.
>He has several meetings of chance as he continued to battle the Angels.
>Ayanami Rei — Bandages. Mysteries. Indifference. An object of interest. Mother.
>Soryu Asuka Langley — Girl. Perplexing. Formidable. Indecipherable. Sex.
>Katsuragi Misato — Adult. Superior. Meddlesome. Soldier. Family.
>Ikari Gendo — Harsh. Commander. Hatred. Anger. Father. Father. Father…
>Many words and looks were directed at him.
>But, he closed himself away in the deep, dark depths of his heart, and simply hid himself.
>Just staring timidly from the shadows…
>But, the words “I love you” cleared away the darkness in his heart.
>Nagisa Kaworu. The Fifth Child. A kind boy.
>The first person he opened his heart to.
>But, Kaworu turned out to be an Angel. The enemy of man. Something not human.
>Betrayal. Despair. Regret. Anger.
>He gets in Unit 01 and wrings out those complicated emotions as he kills Kaworu.
>The first person to tell him “I love you.”
>The first being he opened his heart to.
>With his own hands…

i hate him so much. he reminds me of myself

>>Soryu Asuka Langley — Girl. Perplexing. Formidable. Indecipherable. Sex
Still straight as an arrow

>Death and Rebuild

If you like a faggot who continuously runs away, who is not manning up and saying something like ''my shitty life won't brake me, I won't be ruled by misery and pain, I will overcome them'' and whenever he does something good it is immediately toppled by even larger number of fuck ups, then it's your choice.

Rebuilds have been amazing.

Kaworu, please

He's just a shittier Amuro

Not really. Evangelion has some big differences from Gundam thematically, and Shinji reflects those.

There are plenty of obvious similarities though.

For who?

Exactly.

Not that user, the proper title is "death and rebirth" but of course tumblr fujos always mess things up

>>But, the words “I love you” cleared away the darkness in his heart.
>>Nagisa Kaworu. The Fifth Child. A kind boy.
>>The first person he opened his heart to.

Maybe not exactly "as an arrow".

Nothing gay about loving someone like a friend

Damn straight.

That's the optimistic way of seeing EoE. But you can also consider it from the opposite: Shinji didn't end Instrumentality because he wanted to face reality, but just because he felt too lonely and scared of his own flaws, so he decided to return to real world.

Oneness of H.I.P. was too cold and silent for him, so he decided to escape from there. Seeing it that way would prove he wasn't really that brave at all.

But yes, your point of view is also correct. Then, the message of the End would be something like: "if someone like Shinji can come back to life, then anyone can. Don't give up" (considering EoE has very much to do with depression and the will to live).

Death and Rebuild sounds like the title of someone's suicide note. Even here.

He's disgusting.

Sorry, I'm not a fujoshi or a Kawoshin supporter, but I couldn't help correcting that user who said "as an arrow".

It's obvious that Shinji had sexual desires for the women of the series (mainly Rei, Asuka and Misato), but there was something between him and Kaworu. Friendship, affection, trust, love?
(Although I believe Shinji didn't really "love" anyone throughout the series; he just doesn't know how to feel it)

Shinji said he loved Kaworu though

He was the first person who made him feel that way

Yeah sure, it was friendship nothing more

Well, indeed, and we could also say that his "feelings" for him were much purer than those for the women. Lust and love aren't the same, and if we compare them, Shinji and Kaworu were a great deal closer to "love" than Shinji with any of the women.

But again, I've never liked saying Shinji was in love with anyone, because he's 14 years old and very emotionally unstable. So the very meaning of love was completely unknown to him.

My favorite interpretation of One more final is how it's just two characters who have made steps forward, but still relapse into old habits and are uncomfortable while going out of them.

Shinji reaches out and attacks Asuka, a source of uncertainty, and she commits one of her first altruistic acts in her life, and it makes her sick because she's not used to it.

Shippers are dumb though, only thing they're getting out of each other is awkward hatesex. Maybe they'd get along in 14 years, once they've grown up.

It's not hard to love someone whose the first no strings attached source of acceptance in your life.

Most people get that unconditional acceptance from a parent, hell, Asuka finally opening up to her mother was enough to bring her back from the brink of death, which is mad cathartic.

But unconditional love doesn't sustain you, it doesn't beat the MP EVA, and it left Shinji open to betrayal.

Nobody was fucking likable in Eva.
Everyone was a mess who fell apart by the end.(Or died)

It wasn't just trust, but also wisdom. Someone who's been around since the dawn of time probably has a lot of things to say.

>an egoist control freak
She couldn't accept defeat,her biggest flaw.

Shinji loving Kaworu was him taking the first steps to love himself, to realize he is worthy of being loved.

Kaworu showed him that he is worthy of being treated with kindness.

That's why Kaworu represents love in Shinji's heart and is one of two reasons why Shinji returns to reality and refuses Instrumentality.

>unconditional acceptance
>unconditional love
Kaworu didn't give him either of these things. Kaworu was critiquing him and pointing out his flaws in both the beach and bath scene.

He was saying he'd be better off changing and working on these flaws, that's not unconditional.

And Shinji was blushing at him and stalking him after his sync test even before kaworu told him he loved him. That was purely sexual attraction on his part.

In this scene, he blushes just by seeing Kaworu's face.

It was pure because it wasn't sexual meaning ........................................................Shinji is straight.

Fuck off delusional fujo, it's obvious he blushed after Kaworu was nice to him

That's a very interesting interpretation, and I agree with most of it.
Asuka is definitely a source of uncertainty ("ambiguity", I usually say): the uncertainty of real life, in which there might be happiness, but also rejection and pain.

Also, the fact we see just the two of them coming back could relate to what I said before: if people like Shinji or Asuka are willing to come back to reality, then actually anyone can do it too. Shinji is the representation of avoidance and isolation, while Asuka would be rather extreme individualism and loneliness. If people like those can exit from a depression (i.e. Instrumentality), then any of us can too.

And I fully agree. Considering EoE as an AsuShin is the most absurd delusion shippers could have. The ending might be "happy" or "bitter", depending on your point of view. But romantic? That's absolutely our of the question.

After all they've been through, I think becoming friends would be actually a happy ending for the both of them. But a romantic relationship is completely nonsensical, unless Asuka has magically lost all her pride and accepts as a boyfriend someone who hurt her so much, fapped over her sedated body and strangled her twice. It's simply ridiculous.

This.

You misunderstand me. Kaworu never gives off the vibes of the other characters where Shinji's ego is on the line.

He basically drops good advice WHILE keeping Shinji from feeling that his acceptance was contingent on the following of said advice.

He's space Jesus for crying out loud, literally dying for his sons.

Yeah, he gives him advice to change in a nice way versus berating him like some of the others were prone to doing.

That's still not unconditional, especially considering he still brings Shinji pain and betrays him and Shinji still choosing to love him. Even after Kaworu practically shattered his heart.
That's genuine, true love. At least as close to it as a mentally unstable 14 year old can get.

I might be looking at Eva from the wrong angle.
For me the most important thing in it was how the characters questioned reality and self at the end and the middle,not the psychological struggles of being loved,but those were interesting too.

Don't bother with that delusional kaworufag, he says the exact same shit every thread and hes always proved wrong

Again. I could see the ship working when they've grown up, if only for the sheer degree to which they can relate to each other. But we're talking when they're 30. Mid teens is when you ideally have your viewpoint of the world shattered and you finally start to grow up. Them being together at any other time would be fucking toxic as shit.

The issue is they only just climbed out of the ditch, they haven't reached the mountain yet.

It just depends on how you were coming into the show. I watched it while coping with the loss of a parent, so I relate to Asuka more, while still seeing her flaws.

Biggest problem in these threads is people fighting over whose interpretation is right and boiling Red/Blue/Grey into purely right and wrong.