Watch blu-ray of 1990s anime

>watch blu-ray of 1990s anime
>looks amazing

>watch blu-ray of 2000s anime
>looks like VHS

Why?

Because pre-2000's everything was done on film. Post-2000 everything is done digitally.

Film scales better than digital

Early 2000s blurays are just upscales

>ripping people off with Wolf's Rain and Angelic Layer Blurays that look worse than DVD

Early 2000s anime don't have hd masters due to the early digital process, so they aren't really hd, just upscales.

Because the old stuff is preserved on analog.

>ara ara
>ara ara
>ara ara

Kinshi

because early digital stuff is shit

Been rewatching Aria again and this time on BD and I don't really care I got used to it pretty quickly.

>anime industry could be using waifu2x to upscale
>instead we get fucking Q-Tec ARIA BDs

You could probably get better results upscaling the DVDs with MadVR's NGU or SuperRes, if your computer can handle it.

It was a time of early digital. If you didn't know that you should leave Sup Forums.

Why does early digital look like so bad? Even on shows with good animation and detailed art the color is just so awful it makes the entire show look like shit. Seems like US animation made the transition a lot better

Will this journey ever continue?

The early digital transition was rough. Digital anime didn't really hit its stride til the late 00s.

I remember TTGL changing the standard for me forever. Now I just take 1080p slice of life for granted

search the archive for a Daiz's post explaining why there are preferable options to waifu2x

Looks good here. It seems his main argument is waifu2x's denoising can ruin textures. I don't know if he realizes you can disable the denoising.

How was this done? Upscaling frame by frame?

>tfw King Gainer 1080p looks great and was most likely 1080p

>watch a blu-ray of a 1980s film
>the top and bottom are cropped to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio
This is worse.

I'm pretty sure it was originally 16:9 then 4:3 then cropped again to 16:9

I tought FMA 2003 on BD looked better than the early DVDs.

>we'll never get decent quality of haibane

>anime industry could be using waifu2x to upscale
I can't find a photo of it, but the blu-ray re-release of Initial D did something like this and it looked fucking awful.

>tfw RX will never work with a Japanese company on a BD release for that anime you want to get a proper release in the future

Chobits turned out ok