How many million people in this world think theyre smare while unironically believing in free will?

Like how can you be dumb enough to not realize that your decisions have causes which lead up to them, i.e. everything happens for a reason, and still think youre an intelligent person? My sister in law is a duke grad who in one fell swoop proves that sat scores have fuck all to do with actual intelligence

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xt5ghXdq6Z0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Smare>>>smart

Because you are the one making everything happen, making it happen for you. You are the whole and the fraction simultaneously in a superposition. You are the hand drawing itself.

Free will vs. causality is a false dichotomy if the entire universe is one living organism.

>My sister in law
Pics?

at this exact moment I could make the decision to do literally anything I could think of

how is it not free will

You could say that that line of thought doesn't matter, that just because you can do something doesn't mean that it's worth your effort.

ok but just because I most likely won't choose to do anything I can think of doesn't mean I don't have the option to...

So you think you're smart user?
youtube.com/watch?v=xt5ghXdq6Z0

who's making the decisions?

Free will my ass. Look at the most recent stuff on population genetics, neurobiology, put two and two together ... baseline parameters like personality and general intelligence are genetic. Nurture has some effects but only in either realizing or ruining your potential. Small polymorphisms in a gene may already have a huge effect.

whatever personality happens to be inhabiting my body at the moment, I guess

You think that whatever thing you choose to do doesnt have a cause?
For example, say you choose to shit your pants to show you can do what you want.
I could say your drive was to prove you could do anything and shitting your pants was the end result of your drive to prove u can do what you want combined with your idea that shitting your pants was spontaneous and shows that you can do things without having any cause other than your will, but youre just proving that every decision you make is the last domino in a long chain of dominoes

cause smare people do dumb things?

You mean like pretending a typo has a correlation to iq less than p=0.7?
Nvrmind, smart people wouldnt do that.
Youre not smart

Free will certainly exists.

You have to be a serious fucking idiot to think it doesn't. Our choices are the analog in which we travel through experiences. We have a choice in everything we do.

I would extrapolate, but I am dealing with some very low level idiots here that I do not feel like arguing with.

There is much more to this than your little textbook tells you, slave.

there is a free-will, even though they are fighting so hard to supress it, mostly through technology. Now, true freedom, it really doesn't exist, there are too many limitations for men.

That's retarded. Just because you can't control the action before, doesn't mean you don't have the free will to determine the next action.

Makes no difference.

> think theyre smare
I can identify one.

>smare

Free will exists. It's called making choices.
The capacity for infinite self definition however, is not. You're definitely limited, to the point of being predictable, but your choices are definitely your own.

It's an honest mistake to deny free will, I used to scoff at the idea myself but later on in life realised it was true. Usually it's confused atheist kiddies that make the mistake, they ironically believe in a soul and fail to grasp that from a biologically positivist perspective "you" would be "your brain" and that the "bio-machinery that makes decisions predictably" is evidence that choices are being made by "you" and thus "free will" actually exists.

It's more comical for liberals to reject free will on biological grounds when they think everything is socio-economic (because "neurology" isn't vague enough) which is fundamental to their denial of human accountability, while simultaneously insulting anyone they don't like/disagrees with them and holding them accountable for everything they believe they have done wrong.
The liberal mind is a train wreck.

yeah but you are defining "free" as being not caused by something or not being determined by something

i am made up of certain things that will act a certain way. that doesn't mean that i am not free, it just means the nature of the things im made out of is that they will act a certain way

what is the opposite of this? randomness? if something isn't determined by something else then it is random, and i dont know how my decisions being caused by some random effect means im any more free than if it was predictable

Reductionist causality and free will are not mutually exclusive. People like OP seem to be using a definition of free will that goes "free will is the belief that your consciousness isn't based on your brain's physical biochemistry".

Please explain how my decisions being the result of the processes of my brain means they are not MY decisions.

That's self definition. That's not exactly the same thing as free will, though it affects your ability to make choices.
While you can't easily decide how smart you want to be or what your sexuality will be, you can certainly make choices and decisions that are clearly far more complicated than being random chemical farts.
Think strategy games and discussions. Highly situationally specific behaviours being selected by the individual.

/thread

>If i define your will as "drive" then it stops being a function of your own agency

I have a "drive" to eat food to survive. I have cravings for certain kinds of food based on what my gut and brain prefer for nutrients and flavour. I can still choose to eat something different than what I am craving.

>hur durr but its just your DRIVE to show you can choose different and try new things causing u to do that

That's a nice unfalsifiable hypothesis you've got there

Alright brainlets gear up:
Everyone has the text book definition of "Free Will", however there is always only one action that a person will perform next. This action is determined by your culture, genetics, and how you were raised. To explain this we'll have two people: Person A and Person B.
Both of these people are hungry. Person A lives in Italy and had a traditional upbringing with two parents. Due to his upbringing and culture he is used to home cooked meals, and his Italian genetics will give him a preference for Italian food, so he ends up cooking Spaghetti for dinner.
Person B lives in Burgistan and was raised by a single mother. Due to not having a father, home cooked meals were not commonplace as the mother had to work. His Burger genetics don't really have any specific preferences, so he chooses Soylent as his meal for dinner.
You could replay both of these instances over a thousand times and they will both choose the same thing to eat for dinner. You could take Person A and give him the same genetics, culture, and upbringing as Person B and he will choose Soylent for dinner instead. Even though people have "Free Will", only one action will be taken, or ever will be taken. True free will would be the ability to turn back time and change your action, going against your natural instinct.

>his Italian genetics will give him a preference for Italian food
hahahahahaha