Science

What's Sup Forums's stance on science in general? Was it a mistake? Or has it been simply mispresented and distorted by leftists?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t30JzS0LHpk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling#Applications
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>not using j
kys non-EE

>using i instead of j with imaginary numbers

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

...so Sup Forums is really this retarded. Good for my research.

Science is falsifiable hypotheses with repeatable results.
This rules out all social science, global warming, gender studies etc.

science is fine.
it also has no political leaning because nature eventually kills you naturally.

It's a high school calculus on the picture.

Electrical engineers use j because i is for electric current.

>Was it a mistake?
depends. Probably yes. If you're coming from a traditional and religious perspective science is of the devil, its knowledge is dangerous and seductive and leads questionable places, and it has transformed the world and destroyed its pristine beauty.
The film Koyaanisqatsi gives an amazing artistic perspective on how machines and man transformed this world.

From another pov, I share some of their(scientists) fascination with mechanical devices and computers. I just don't think it's worth the trouble it causes.

Science is wonderful as long as do not make "human" mistakes while dealing with it. For example, not believing in it without evidence, by extrapolating available evidence towards an unproven hypothesis. That is when the supposed "infallibility" of science really starts breaking up.

Science is ok. """science""" not so much.

Only brainlet engineers use j. Real science uses i.

^^^

I hate maths, it's the scientific jew

this

It's the main tool of science though, Luigi.

wish we had more BASED scientists like shockley, watson and crick etc.

Without science Monsanto wouldn’t be able to screw with foods. So it’s great.

Science in itself is the greatest tool humanity came up with. The problem are people misinterpreting it's results for their political agenda or ignoring the results for their agenda. Both sides of political spectrum have been guilty of this, but in this time the left has went absolutely nuts with this.

>drills are useful as long as you don't drill into your own skull

Jurassic Park has som interesting dialogue on the subject. Maybe we would be happier and more prosperous just living like cavemen.

The universities and government did to science what Disney did to Star Wars.

Like religion and the government, corruptible. I wouldn't place my faith in it entirely despite the good it brings.

I mean that's one way to look at it. The more complex and powerful something is, the more potentially dangerous it is. As important as the industrialization era was, people were getting ripped apart during work accidents a lot less frequently before it.

science and physics were jewed by the jews in the beginning of the 20th century. QM and everything past it I take with a huge grain of salt - i.e. bullshit used for control of power.

Science is out of the political spectrum. fuck off

Math is not science.

-100,000lbf thrust. kek

>creates tear in spacttime

you don't use "i" ?

Then why are you still online?

science is science, nor good nor bad, just the use they give it

nah - it is very political -ever since v2 rockets, nukes, and the payoff of peer reviewed journals to steer scientific research toward those topics government/big corps are interested in.

t. retard
As i already said in another thread, without Quantum Physics, this website, your pc, and 95% of modern electronics wouldn't exist

If you are going to criticize science, tell me what fields of science were just leveraged to post your message.

Yes because it's used for current in Engineering. Math nerds still use i for imaginary numbers.

That’s pretty much my stance user. But does GPS really prove QM is legit?

oh.

uh - no? you are a newfag who thinks quantum physics is responsible for "MUH INTERNET".

it's fucking electronics. Electromagnetism.

>now - fuck off pretending to be educated. Go make me a pizza.

what? this book definitely uses i. I mean - unless it's changed in the last 5 years. this guy's running dialogue pissed me off. His jokes are good, though.

AHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA
JUST TWO WORDS: AMERICAN EDUCATION

(((Jurassic Park)))

By the Gods, this pic sums it up perfectly.
Bonus points for "Wow. Just wow.".

italy, your trolling attempts are pretty pathetic. you haven't even attempted a counter argument. fucking lol.

just kill yourself, eh?

or in italian - boopity da boppity?

youtube.com/watch?v=t30JzS0LHpk

The quote from Niels bohr is pretty great, good to see some actual quality memes in this place of nazi anti-intelectualism

>Was it a mistake?
Maybe.
But mathematics certainly wasn't a mistake. (Ironically one of the most "anti-science" people was a mathematician)

The Problems are with people who abuse it (among them are and and of course Tesla fags, etc.).

Relativity is necessary to make GPS work.
QM is completely undeniable.

I just posted the picture because it was funny, I have not actually used that specific text book. However during circuits they definitely used j rather than i.

ever heard of a transistor?

>onestone in with scientists
>dawkins in with fraudsters
your nose is protruding kike

>Ironically one of the most "anti-science" people was a mathematician
Who and why?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling#Applications

Americans are so dumb that it physically HURTS me.

But transistors can exist without quantum mechanics?

Granted QM is relevant for modern CPUs iirc.

I was referring to Ted Kaczynski, maybe "anti science" was the wrong term.

But that hasn't always been relevant for CPU architecture as far as I know.

even as a mechanical engineer I agree with this

useless academic trash

I'd say industrialization would be more apt from what I've seen of him.

The phenomenon of quantum tunneling of a potential barrier is a the basis of a FET transistor, and can't be explained with the classical theory of electromagnetism.

>brainlet
>engineers
t. salty retard who couldn't become an engineer. Engineers are the elite of our nation.

If all knowledge we have now was lost, at some time in the future we'll rediscover everything again. The best method for that is science.

Semiconductivity is a quantum mechanical phenomenon, you need to understand quantum mechanics to explain how a transistor operates. However you can make a transistor without knowledge of quantum mechanics,

When politics started creeping into the unbiased world of science, it was a sign that it would eventually become so corrupt it would benefit profits over progress.

Science is dead

>common core education

Heisenberg was so beautiful

Science doesn't care about your opinion.

only social sciences and shit are cancer
physics, chemistry, biology
these ones are perfectly fine since you cannot really distort them using politics

It isn't. The only fucking thing that is "applicable" with his rebuttal is "cold emission" in semiconductors. Electron emission has been known about for FUCKING ever in the field of

>electromagnetism

This guy is a serious retard who can't even comprehend the foundations of physics. He takes QM as his bible without accounting for where the fuck it comes from.

Rebutes me with my own argument. Fucking kek

science provides better and better approximations of reality, but it will never answer most fundamental questions. therefore science cannot fill all the blanks and we need greater ideas, faith in fact, to guide us toward a better future

Who cares what glorified construction workers use. Only in America being an engineer is valued. Over here it's a subpar job in the higher jobs, like a lawyer would be to a jurist or an anesthesist to a real doctor.

We love science
It helps us understand the world

Surrender cheese monkey hon hon hon

You're probably just frustrated you didn't have the mental ability to become an engineer.

Dawkins is a reddit-tier cuck

Isn't j for quaternions?

Shit you are retarded. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN COLD EMISSION WITHOUT QM?!?!??!

>being this ignorant
80% of the CEO of CAC40 companies studied in engineering schools

fuck off non engineer nigwad

Lol. No creativity, no real mathematic skills, no talent only learning rules and procedures about different materials and structures. You're the architect's bitch, and your formation isn't even standard 3+2 years of uni degrees. Only stg retards get into it. I'm a jurist in public sector btw and deal a lot with BTP. Engineers are just accountants with a helmet and a pencil.

>Only in America being an engineer is valued. Over here it's a subpar job in the higher jobs, like a lawyer would be to a jurist or an anesthesist to a real doctor.
Do you live in Narnia or some other fairyland?
Your elitism is clouding your judgement, frenchbro

I'd counter with QM being a possible explanation of the observed phenomena

as a whole - it's jewish nonsense.

THIS GUY SPEAK THE TRUTH.

seconded.

>QM has a lot of applications and can perfectly explain a lot of phenomena that other fields can't but it isn't real because HUUURRR JOOS
kys

While most engineers you come across are like that, real engineering is fascinating and a far more challenging pursuit than filing papers for a living.

quasicrystals and vortices physically formed. :p

but hey - QM is the supported theory and the one with (((funding)))

There is nothing wrong with science obviously, there is something deeply wrong when critical theroy is being used unironically to say facts are a social construct and study on certain things is barred for political reasons

Science in and of itself is good. The thing is this, you ask people "How do you know X?" and they'll probably reply by saying something like "Well, because it's in my science books." or "Well, because it's been peer-reviewed." or "Well, because it's been agreed upon by a majority of scientists.", but these are flimsy defences, because unless YOU can verify for yourself whether something is true or not either by OBSERVATION or by doing an experiment about it BY YOURSELF, you are relying essentially on external sources for your information and it is naïve to think that those sources don't have agendas.
What people call 'mainstream science' has been hijacked by politics, religion and corporations. So-called 'peer review' these days is usually nothing more than a circle-jerk. Just as people support the separation of church and state (and RIGHTFULLY so), I support the separation of SCIENCE and state. We owe it to our innate intelligence to QUESTION EVERYTHING.

I fucking love science

Reminds me of the guy who won a Nobel prize after cracking the DNA hélice pattern and was forced to sell it at 80 years of age after he was shut down and left to die for saying blacks had genetic differences with the rest and cognitive deficiency.

Exactly.

It's not, except esoteric math, but even then everything that happens is an extension of properties and constraints you define.

Even in OP's pic at the very very bottom of reasoning there's "let us assume existence of 'i' defined by its property of i^2=-1". Then you naturally define the rotating vectors in complex plane (if only by series of powers of i) and end with the shown equation.

But that's only an extension of viewpoints, if you add "one apple" to "one apple" you get "two apples" - but in reality it's only a change in your perception and they're still a pair of fruits one way or the other.

However saying hurr durr I don't believe in science is stupid. You're not supposed to believe it, it's either true or false, no belief involved. Of course people with money pay to spread misinformation, but the lucky strike healthy cigarettes campaign didn't mean medecine was false now did it? A little bit of critical thinking is required, about everything.

>peer review
Gave me a good laugh, user.

>not just saying i^i

I'm saying that peer review these days is mostly just a circle-jerk (because it is).

>However saying hurr durr I don't believe in science is stupid.

I never said that I don't believe in science, because the attitude a person should take toward ANYTHING is not whether or not to believe in it, but whether or not it is TRUE - no belief is involved (like you said). But so-called 'scientific data' can (and sometimes has been) fabricated for political, religious and corporate purposes.

>A little bit of critical thinking is required, about everything.

This is correct.

I always write the pi first

No it wasn't directed at you but rather at fellow burger christcucks. I see that science/atheism/evolution/X is a belief hurr durr all the time lately. Really tiresome.

I majored in electrical engineering and never used j for the square root of negative one.

Are you people retarded now? You read Euler's equation and think the i means current?

This is also a very interesting perspective, aussie bro.

I skipped Einstein's quote because now I know he is a fraud.

I'm also a software developer.
it is what it is.