Why good high fantasy manga is so rare?

Basically only this and Stravaganza are the only ones running right now that is not shit.

because kiddies need muh Gary stu self insert, plus an extra dose of edge to actually read anything at all
look at thread on Sup Forums, every stupid isekai shit got 500 posts easily, but things like OP pic barely got even a thread like once a month

>because kiddies need muh Gary stu self insert, plus an extra dose of edge to actually read anything at all
That's not an answer. High fantasy and "Gary Stu" or "edge" (both terms that Sup Forums loves to use incorrectly) are not mutually exclusive.
>look at thread on Sup Forums, every stupid isekai shit got 500 posts easily,
500 posts is not a lot.

>things like OP pic barely got even a thread like once a month
This is both incorrect, and ignoring that Dungeon Meshi doesn't have a lot of releases.

Why are you being so stupid?

Because of the rise of isekai and garystuism.

Because normal fantasy was replaced by Japanese NEETs getting trucked into another world that is Just Like A Game™ and becoming ridiculously op due to some hax meta ability.

And this trend isn't going to die anytime soon.

Where's this month's chapter? It's due today isn't it?

>Stravaganza
That manga is so weird. It went from fantasy comedy with a dose of fanservice to edgy action manga. And I don't recall anything in the early chapters indicating than the Queen was a super-badass swordwoman.

What's this called?
Looks good am I'm starting to run low on good fantasy stories in my western readings.

Superb taste OP

Im not sure though but I have a an idea. High fantasy simply takes too much effort. You need to have the patience and experience to make a story that can strech out multiple chapters without being episodic. Given high fantasy is usually about a journey, there has to be a clear end to if which puts a limit on things, you cant milk it like you would a episodic manga without a overarching storyline.

This also limits spamming new characters which makes the writing even more difficult for a mangaka without any real experience. You cant deliver drama by killing off new characters while introducing a new bas guy of the week like you would in isekai

Also the art has to be good, high fantasy relies on imaginery like mountains or dwarven dungeons. You need to world build for the story AND the art. The author has to actually know shit about fantasy,its tropes and themes to pull this off. Also you need to be unique and not just rip off LoTR

Why would you go through this when you can make a generic isekai? People dont want to take the challenge and risk failure. It should be noted that DM and Stravaganza authors are pretty experienced too

Check the archive.

What's y'alls opinions on Monster Hunter mangas?

I bought the first vol of Flash Hunter cause sure why not. Was pretty decent might read online more before buying more volumes.
Read all of MH Orage online. Enjoyed it plenty but idk why I never got around to buying it.

>good

Forgot my pic.

Would this count as high fantasy?
Also, it reads like MC's from a D&D campaign.
>GIMME GOBLINS
>>here's some goblins
>>want to continue the plot?
>MORE GIVE ME MORE
>>here's some more
>>pls continue the plot
>GIVE ME MORE FUCKING KIKE GOBLINS
>>for fuck sakes, here's a fucking ogre you cunt
>YOU AREN'T A GOBLIN, GO AWAY

Dungeon Meshi, it's about a group that forced to monsters because they can't afford food while delving into the dungeon.

This. Even if you don't build a world, you have to use a world that is interesting and even more importantly : you have to understand it.
Contemporary generic japanese fantasy relies on video-game tropes so that everyone can understand the world without having to explain it, wich means that the author don't need to make anyone "discover" that world through travel as it's already known. Wich means that he has to make his story about something else, wich is usually your usual otaku story about fights and cute girls.

Essentially, these aren't high fantasy stories, but generic harem, battle harem, battle shonen stories with a high fantasy setting. So of course when someone comes around and put some care in the writing it something much better comes out.

Nah

Its sword and sorcery, highfantasy has a journey against one dark force/being

Talking about high fantansy, has there been anything with scifi setting?

Battleship Yamato comes to mind

The raws have her being tortured by a bunch of the monkey men.

No, friendo, Hakumei to Mikochi is not shit too.

>has there been anything with scifi setting?
What?
Do you mean high fantasy sci fi, like Star Wars or Gundam?

Kinda,yes

Dungeon Meshi doesn't have a journey against one dark force/being, it's just a slay the dragon story and now they've done that it's kinda like a find the princess story.

The dark force was the dungeon itself user

Blade of the Immortal?

The dungeon is a construction of the dark force (the sorcerer), but the journey isn't about defeating either of them.

No, there has never been anything like that.

It is as of recently. How else can they save farlyne?

They need to eat the dungeon master

Did you miss the part where Laius promises the orc chief to kill the sorcerer?

Congratulations on having a Dungeon Meshi thread (sort of) that's at the moment less shit than the /tg/ one.

Yes

Laius says a lot of things.

They can't.

You have no fucking idea what high and low fantasy is, user.

So it focuses them on cooking a lot?

I'm down for that. At the very least I've read stories with weirder cooking premises.

Just because Lord of the Rings is high fantasy doesn't mean all high fantasy is Lord of the Rings.

>Basically only this and Stravaganza are the only ones running right now that is not shit.
The secret is:
Adult protagonists.

The elf did nothing wrong, though.

>LotR
>High Fantasy
What. It's low fantasy.

Isn't Lord of the Rings low fantasy?

>Eat out the dungeon Master
Ftfy

I could be wrong but thats the impression I got from few chapters

No, she gets captured by a tribe of black people. They distrust her at first so they torture her but then they become her friend.

Fuck's sake.

It's the codifier of hi fantasy, so no.
Low fantasy is a kind of poorly defined genre, but most of the time it's smaller scale plots, and less supernatural content.

Yep, lots of cooking and monster anatomy. Give it a read.

There's plenty of good Fantasy manga. Tsuyokute New Saga, Lodoss, Gigantomakhia and Berserk, Kimetsu no Yaiba.

Most people just never give them a chance. I really like Tsuyokute, though it leans a bit too much on Dragon Quest for inspiration.

>Low fantasy is a kind of poorly defined genre, but most of the time it's smaller scale plots, and less supernatural content.
Wrong. That's a modern definition that nobody uses.

LotR is low fantasy because magic isn't a common occurrence, but something really hardcore. Wizards are basically gods. In high fantasy (like dungeon meshi), a wizard is just another (albeit super cute) party member.

Nope. LOTR is the original high fantasy, and /tg/ revisionism won't change that.

Learn your definitions bakas
Low fantasy is on Earth and high one is in fictional worlds

>This is your last chance, Marcille!
>No way I'm eating out a dark elf!
>Come on, you even ate dryads and kobolds by now
>W-well if you put it like that, it can't be worse than orc p-pussy after all... right?

Think god, high fantasy is generic genre shit, mangá has a lot of original settings and stories, western Tolkien shit is the lowest of the low.

I was /tg/ before Sup Forums existed. You newfag nerds can't touch me through my Major Globe of Invulnerability.

>Magic is not common in lotr
>Wizards are gods
but thats wrong

>western Tolkien shit is the lowest of the low.
Then why do japs fail at it every time?

What kinda monster anatomy we talking about?
Interesting creature features? Or Sup Forums/tg/ seal of approval "creature features"?

Stop watching the movies and read the books, /tg/.

Low fantasy is an umbrella that stuff like urban fantasy falls under, where the setting itself isn't fantastic and fantastic things don't normally occur. Even stuff like FF Tactics and aSoIaF aren't low fantasy.

LotR has the main cast casually stumble into a demigod's realm like it's a wrong turn at Albuquerque

Japs fail at everything they try even Isekai

LMAOOOOO

Most American post ITT.

I have and thats wrong. Theyre angels at best and magic occurs trough the serie

Fail at what? Learn to read please, high fantasy as in tolkien clone is terrible regardless of where it's from.

Reminder that isekai is by definition high fantasy.

Are you dumb? Almost all of action manga is high fantasy.

>asshurt yuropoor can't handle being wrong

LotR is high fantasy even by your own skewed definition, Gandalf is a casual acquaintance of Bilbo and ends up jobbing in the first book so everyone else can catch up with him

>good
neck yourself

Same reason good high fantasy books are rare, you need to be a really good writer with a deep knowledge on history and literature if you want to translate the topics and archetypes of the ancient epics into a new story/setting. I'm afraid there's not many Tolkiens and Lord Dunsanys drawing manga right now.

>Theyre angels at best
So basically gods.

>and magic occurs trough the serie
Haha, what? When the super powerful magic sword has the ability (to glow when orcs are near", you're looking at low fantasy, bro.

Don't mess with me.

Marcielle looked extra cute in this frame.

Listen /tg/, magic in the sense that it's used in fantasy now was not relevant to fantasy when LOTR came out.
A few of the heroes have enchanted weapons.
A king curses an entire army to never die for betraying him.
Tom bombadil and the burrow wights exist.
The orcs may have even been created by magic, and the ring wraiths were cursed into what they are.
The setting has magic everywhere, not just with the wizards. Just because you can't shoot fireballs from your fingers like you can in video games doesn't suddenly make LOTR gritty, low fantasy.

Isekai isn't a genre, people who "discuss" it on Sup Forums as though it were are generally subhumans who can't actually string together a coherent argument

>So basically gods.

No. Gandalf and the other Wizards are Valar, literally Angels. There's only one god in the LotR series and it's Eru.

>she will never teach you magic

So basically gods

I don't think many resources from which western fantasy usually springs are available or popular in Japan. Sure, LotR is probably known but I doubt it has nearly the significance that it does in the west. Other parts of the western fantasy "canon" such as REH and Lovecraft don't have any impact, and forget Beowulf and Arthurian legend and shit entirely. The most culturally significant thing that I think could be considered western fantasy in Japan would probably be fucking dragon quest and mmo's.

Occasionally stuff derived from Journey to the West or Romance of the Three Kingdoms pops up, but I don't feel that there's a direct parallel to western fantasy derived from things that take up similar cultural spaces in nipland.

Slimes, Walking Mushrooms, Dragons, Animated Armour (yes, they're food too), krakens, etc.
They don't all go into detailed anatomy, but they usually do have some decently detailed explanations for the monsters like the way they live/fight and whatnot.
The dungeon's meant to be a self sustaining ecosystem.

I think this is the first monster they eat.

If wizards are gods to you then what are the elves, vampires?

Actually, vampires used to exist in middle earth before LOTR.
They were probably just fuck huge vampire bats though

>it's a "shitstorm about what high/low fantasy is" episode
Every fucking time.

>LotR is high fantasy even by your own skewed definition, Gandalf is a casual acquaintance of Bilbo and ends up jobbing in the first book so everyone else can catch up with him
American education.

Close. Gandalf is a Maiar.

Yes and no. Yes if you go with the Greek sense, no if you go with the Semetic sense. Tolkien built his universe nearly that of Christianity. You got Eru Ilúvatar (God), and then the Valar, which are his archangels, with Melkor being Lucifer. Maiar are pretty much the setting's angels.

Pretty much. Sauron did turn into one to flee from the hound, Huan.

Just, hot chocolate boy

Angels arent gods dummy, just glorified soldiers at best

>Magic is rare
Jesus christ, its full of creatures that are created with magic or either are magical.

>Sword
its not the only magical object and you know it. Dont cherry pick, magical doors are common place for example

So from the looks of it stuff like dracula would be low fantasy?
It's just an ordinary world where there's suddenly a vampire.

Bro, just stop. You're just showing you're an ignorant asshole.

>Just because you can't shoot fireballs from your fingers like you can in video games doesn't suddenly make LOTR gritty, low fantasy.
That's literally the definition of low fantasy, you American idiot. Otherwise, stuff like Conan would be high fantasy. Which it isn't.

Point stands, if you have trouble accepting reality, well, that's America for you.

>Angels arent gods dummy, just glorified soldiers at best
America/10. Angels are, mythologically speaking, on a higher power tier than Shinto gods (which in turn would be elves by the European system).

It's okay, Bernie voter.

Conan isn't low fantasy or high fantasy, fa/tg/uy.
It's swords and sorcery.
Do they teach you how to read in the Alps, hot chocolate boy?

This is correct.

I always defined low fantasy as just a setting that has the same physics and rules as reality, but with some magic that also somewhat conform to reality's rules

Like a healing spell can't save you if you've been wounded too badly and take a while to work, and spells require a cost, be it time, lives, etc. Fire spells can't just burn away everything. I guess spells being used practically and having a lot of limits and being pretty rare/mistrusted on sight.

I see High Fantasy with it's own crazy rules and laws that don't resemble reality's at all. Elves, and Dwarves, magic weapons, and magic doesn't really require a price. Everyone can shoot magic from their hands, there's otherworldly shit all over the place, all kinds of crazy stuff that's just mundane reality for them.

I wish there was more good manga with those kind of settings.

It really isn't. People however do like to call them narou isekai.

"Isekai" in the first place was mainly used to describe the the new wave of transported/reincarnated to another world Web novels coming from syosetsuka ni narou.

Also, I don't really agree with blaming everything on them either. I've recently been reading Saihate No Paladin and that one is definitely legit and probably much better than most of the 'straight jap high fantasy'.
Seems like the MCs adventure as paladin and the real deal will start from second vol though.

I wouldn't consider low fantasy as one unless they also explained how the magic work.
Not go full sci-fi and make everything understood in real life terms, but at the very least be more than just "my mana/energy/midichlorians"

Like at least have them explain how the chi/chakra is developed physically within the body to a point that it sounds physical enough that you can almost extract it like plasma and we're cool.

How old are you ? 12 ?

How about every shounen ever you fucking tourist.

Are you saying that doesn't sound like D&D?

The fanbase of Goblin Slayer is pretty dumb.

I'm saying your post is stupid
So many ways you could have asked that but you have to go with the dumbest way possible

It's pretty much what the MC's like, an overly RPing goblin hater, sue me faggot.

The fanbase of Goblin Slayer are mostly under 16.

Mostly Sup Forumsermins i'm guessing