Just finished FLCL. Dont really get the appeal besides it having that sadboy nostalgic feel at times

Just finished FLCL. Dont really get the appeal besides it having that sadboy nostalgic feel at times.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5OX2IrdifBc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I understood it some time after having watched it
I then realized it made sense, but even then I didn't get to like it much

So you really found zero qualities in it that could be enjoyed by someone else?

>Nostalgic
You pretty much got it. It's fun, and was even more fun in the 2000s.

It's okay, you don't have to like everything.

>Dont really get the appeal besides it having that sadboy nostalgic feel at times.

That feel gets worse every time I watch it.

There was never any legitimate appeal. It's proto-memes.

It's shit,only good thing about it is it's ost.

I finished it for the music. Some good animation, especially for 2000. Nothing else really.

If you didn't watch it back then there's no real point.

MC batting the metor back into space was hype as shit though.

So I'm guessing that for the ones who watched it back then that Haruko was their first fap

Not only was it a fun anime but this one girl carried the lust of most her male fans through the show. i was a hormonal teen when i saw this it only made the anime that much more appealing.

I didn't fap to her but to his day i like tough and sexy chicks.

The appeal is that it's a lovely, good-humored lightning bolt of imagination, with tons of tonal nuance and great, unique dramatization.

Weirdly ambitious in scope. Marries music and visuals brilliantly as well

I could go on desu I just

It is a coming of age story with a focus on adolescence. That's it, no need to overthink it.

There's quite clearly a lot of other stuff going on, but yeah that is certainly a main thrust of the story

>Haruko
I hate Haruko and everything she represents though. She isn't even good as fap material. Both Mamimi and Ninamori are better as fap material and as characters.

I find FLCL very overrated. The music and animation are good and it's cool that everything in the story is supposed to be a symbolism to how the mind of a teenager works, however, I fail to believe that anyone can find the story engaging or the show entertaining to watch. Most of the humor consists of either japanese references that most people here in the west won't get, or basically random shit happening, same goes for most of the things that happen in the story, it's basically random and nonsensical stuff happening without any sense of purpose or narrative for most of the time.

I mean, can you actually remember any of the dialogues that aren't memes? Can you remember anything from the retarded story about a alien girl wanting to find a alien Chad so that she can fuck him? Does anyone here actually like Haruko? Because I think she's the most insufferable character in existence.

Anyway, there's some good parts in this show and it does have a nostalgic feel, but the style, narrative and ''plot'' kills it for me.

You'll probably enjoy FLCL a lot more once you finally get over your hangup about anime needing plot.

I don't like the humor or the narrative of the show though. Only reason I managed to watch It until the end was because of the OST and some characters, which I thought were interesting but not very explored.

I can confirm that it is indeed very engaging and entertaining to watch.
>Most of the humor consists of either Japanese references
A select bunch yeah but that doesn't matter
>random shit happening
No there's always a reason, barring a few exceptions (the bullet time joke in the first episode is the only really noticeable one imo). There's a purpose driving almost everything
>I mean can you actually remember any of the dialogues that aren't memes
Yeah because there aren't any memes.
Yeah I do remember the story about the alien in love with a space man because it allows us to know that this woman who has been the all-knowing chaotic force throughout the show is actually a hapless love-sick puppy like everyone else. It's important. I love all the characters.

All the characters are fully explored.

She is not though, she just wanted his power.

True but at that time in the episode that is what is implied.

>this is getting a sequel and not Big O
I will never not be mad.
Even Samurai Jack won't make me forgive fucking Mike Lazzo.

It was only Amarao's headcanon. He got BTFO when he saw Atomsk wasn't a space chad but a massive blazing bird

There is an ambiguity, though. When Haruko looks off into the sky all sad. She seems to be in love with the power, at least, and she says she wants to "eat it". There's a weird thing throughout FLCL about consumption and who has the power in relationships. Like how Mamimi keeps biting on Naota. We think she's in control because she's so forceful in the opening scene and Naota so bashful, but really she's very dependent.

>FLCL is bad
When did this become a meme and when will it die?

Mamimi desires a twisted mixture of control and dependence (until she grows out of that at the end of the series). She wants to be able to completely emotionally lean on someone/something else, but she also wants that person/thing to never change or leave her side.

Nothing more perfectly captures the aesthetics of the inner struggle/grand adventure of youth.

She just wants a pet, really. Something that will always be there for you and you can control

And her pet, Naota, just grows too big for her. Which is what the terminal core represents in the final episode, with its rapid growth.

I think maybe she finds her true calling and self through photography because it allows her to capture moments that pass. She wants things to be permanent but they can't be

>it allows her to capture moments that pass. She wants things to be permanent but they can't be
Fucking.
Beautiful.

tame back the shitposting

I can't get over how great the "batting practice at sunset" scene is in episode 4. That episode is so insanely good

forgot this sick piece of promo art

Who's big lips in the bottom left?

In a way Naota and Mamimi are two sides of the same coin.

Naota desperately wants to grow up and appear adult but in doing so is actually acting childish by rushing it. He learns that he needs to stop living and his brother shadow and to accept that he's just a kid.

Mamimi is the opposite reaction to becoming an adult, she strives for the ideals of the past and attempts to recreate it in her current situation. Her youth is slipping through her fingers like sand and she clutches at it desperately. She learns to hold the past in her heart but to move on with her life.

It's a simple animu about growing up.
Also the music is really fucking good.
youtube.com/watch?v=5OX2IrdifBc

Mamimi

She's a pouty dunce with full lips, although we don't see them all the time

>That fucking ED shot of her licking the guitar
Got me rock fucking hard.
Also Mamimi's lips.

Haruko was real hit or miss depending on the episode.
Would still fuck her though.

>that sadboy nostalgic feel at times
literally fucking kill yourself, retrofetishist

>You will never kiss those full lips.

Who /sadboyz/ here

That artist looks familiar.

Hit and miss? She always hits her target

Kidding aside, the scene where Haruko hugs Naota then promptly bats him into the terminal core with her guitar is such a genius scene. The music. Amarao freaking out. Everything is just brill

Is it Sadamoto?

All the promo art for FLCL is great. I wish I had this in better quality.

There's one I saw posted here once but I haven't been able to find since. It's Haruko posing in her nurse outfit with a syringe stuck in her bass. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

>I wish I had this in better quality.

Here you go, straight from the artbook.

Here's the syringe pic as well.