What do you think about colored manga? yay or nay?

what do you think about colored manga? yay or nay?

Depends on the quality.
If my memory serves me, a bigger issue with Akira was that it was mirrored.

Only when coloured by the original artist.

Araki did that, right?

Only when they are blue and orange, i fucking love me some blue and orange?

Didn't you know that blue and orange are complimentary colors? That is storytelling 101. Literally everything benefits from being fucking blue and fucking orange. my eye pukes when something is blue and yet there is nothing orange nearby. It's like sooooooo fucking goood like you see this and go all like "yeah, this is storytelling at it's finest, all is right in the world. I can tell what is going on in this scene only thanks to blue and orange. Than again why do we need anything but blue and orange? Why read manga when you can look at a blue and orange picture and see all the potential stories that can be expressed through this majestic combinatoin?"

That particular page is not bad at all since it doesn't have too many colors or unnecessary shading.

severe autism

It can be good, but I wouldn't want it all that way. There's something about black and white that is intrinsic to what manga is. It's minimalist and easy to read.

How about this?

Nope

Checked.

With colors that reminds me of just about every singe french/belgian/italian comic ever

>Those fucking bubble text redrawn.
Someone is being paid for this shit?

The ugliest thing about it is the SLAM in the first panel on the left. Somebody did a really cheap photoshop edit on that.

there you go, my man

I actually quite like the colour work Shueisha has been doing lately.
How pleb does this make me?

Tsugumomo colored pages are godly.

Looks nice indeed.

>flat colors only
You get to work with such a good lineart and you only do this shit? Stop fishing for attention with your half-assed work.

Akira looked very good colored imo, but most manga is better in black and white. Lots of mangaka aren't good with coloring, and having someone else do it means it will turn out differently than the mangaka intended.

What really bothers me is onomatopoeia.
It's part of the original art.

Now that is what i call a quality post

Blue and orange a shit. Red and green is vastly superior

Everything about Tsugumomo art is godly though

I love Tsugumomo but I have issues of how Hamada draws feet (to be honest most mangaka or comic artists don't know how to draw foot).

9 times out of 10 it doesn't look good to me, not even an exaggeration.

yay

If it's done well, I won't complain. However, if done by the original artist it takes away from time that could be spent doing new pages which I'd prefer. Additionally I feel that it rarely adds to the storytelling since lighting and such can easily be done in ink.

So essentially
more pages >>>colored pages

Hamada's way of drawing feet is perfect. Get back to Anatomy 101.

There's nothing wrong with coloring. I mean these are professional colorists doing a great job. What's not to like?

>lighting and such can easily be done in ink
>easily
You don't know a thing about drawing do you? Not everyone is that good.

If the mangaka has more time to plan his pages, then maybe the story becomes better (albeit shorter).

Well with colors I can fucking understand what this piece of shit draws.

If they're worth a damn and studied lighting, it should be easy enough to do. If they don't know lighting and try color, it'll suck since the fundamentals of color are grounded in lighting.

The extra time goes towards coloring, not plot since that's decided beforehand. Planning can vary a fair bit between mangaka, but it's usually something like
plot-details>layouts>sketch>inking>color

I can't stop laughing

Unless the originals are colored, it's garbage. You can't just slap colors on lineart meant to look black and white, it looks like shit.

the Akira coloring job is one of the best ever, it was done by a westerner, but the original artist was involved in every step of the process. Of course Akira still looks good black-n-white, but the color job is only ever an improvement, it never ruins anything.

Of course, that makes it a big exception. Most colorized manga suck ass.

Yeah, the difference is staggering compared to things originally meant to be in color.

Its not really needed but its a added luxury for me when I see it colored by the original artist

Although colored doujins are vastly superior to uncolored form

I agree. Though many manga have generic art that would neither be improved nor hurt by the addition of color, because the artist is clearly imagining their work as an anime and they're just depicting it as best they can, there are others that make great use of the monochrome.

Coloring an originaly B&W manga = shit
Color spreads, or pages done by the original artist = best pages of the chapter

therefor, if an artist did a whole series in color, itwould probably be pretty good

>but the color job is only ever an improvement, it never ruins anything.
Wrong. It's better in B/W. I agree though, it's less bad than most.

nah

Changing the word bubbles seems pretty unnecessary to me

Are you sure that they were changed?
The way this looks makes me think that maybe the manga was first drawn without any speech bubbles to have them later super-imposed on the final product.

Its worth it when done well enough

Same here. I've always found One Piece really hard on the eyes. The colours at least let you understand what the fuck is going on.

Looks like you're right. The Japanese version has completely different bubbles

I only like TLR Darkness

If it's really good coloring I guess I like it.

I prefer black and white for practical reasons. The lower cost of printing means that manga have infinitely more creative potential than comics.

Art that is composed for black and white should remain in black and white. There's a difference between line art that is made with coloring in mind and line art that isn't.

I have a thing for black and white line art, though, so I prefer it. It's how I got interested in manga to begin with.

The same should be said for the opposite.
Printing the color pages of a manga in black and white is fucked up. I hate it.

it kind of can't be helped for tanks, and it's also a kind of bid to get you checking out the magazines, but yeah it's a bitch

A pleb with bad taste at that. One Piece colors are some terrible shit. When you read the black and white version your brain will fill in the background behind those speed lines, when you read the color version, where the backgrounds can strobe between all kinds of crazy colors, it kills the ability to easily do this.

There a difference between colored pages, that were composed with the intention of coloring and colorized pages that are black and white line art that has been colored as an after thought.

it really has to do with the quality of the coloring though.
Anything can be colored to look as good as the second pic

>it kind of can't be helped for tanks,
But it can. My dictionary is mostly black & white on very thin paper, but there are several segments of different paper and colored images included.

I think manga would benefit from being made with colouring in mind. It simply allows more expression and you have easier time distinguishing your characters and create the mood etc.

It helps that this manga in particular has some heavy film noir elements that would make the addition of color wholly unappealing, on top of the artwork just being good as fuck.

>But it can
No, it can't.

If you want them to be as cheap as they are in physical (that is, generally 3-7 USD), then you'll have them in black and white.

it really wouldn't, coloring costs too much in time and money and furthermore to only have coloring in mind removes the artistry of playing in only black and white

That looks like shite.

To show good colour pages youd can either post couple tsugumomo pages or american graphic novels.
Not manga pages coloured by an amateur.

I'm actually puzzled about this.
Why aren't mangas ever recolored ?
You'd think popular series like Berserk and JoJo would have full on colored releases.

See .

Costs more money and people buy black&white volumes anyway.

Manga is an enormous business and it is so enormous and varied because paper and ink costs are low. Compare it to Western comic industries, which sells 22 full color (story) pages books (~30 WITH ADS) for 4 bucks to how much you'd get for 400 yen of manga (192 black and white pages, pure story; ads are typically one page at the end, or the obi strapped to it). In so being there are many opportunities in the manga industry and there is a metric shitton of the stuff...because it's in black and white.

Now, I don't actually know if that's THE sole reason black and white was decided; it may have began as some sort of artistic choice, but the practical benefits cannot be denied.

It'd be better if he posted some of the later parts, since those actually have really solid coloring.

The thing is, I'd pay big buck for a full on Berserk colored magazine print out if it held a Complete volume

and it'd probably look terrible, Miura's art is 100% made for black and white in those pages, not that he's bad at coloring (he's amazing, really)

>Compare it to Western comic industries,
I think Asterix is like 10 dollars, actually.

I'm talking averages, and I know little about Asterix. All I know is most comic books I see are very thin, and yet they cost more than the ~200 page manga I import from nippon.

JoJo and One Piece and other Shueisha properties have digital only colored releases.
You might, but it's a question of whether or not it'd be worth it to color and publish. It seems that Shueisha at least seems to think it's worth it to release colored versions digitally, but not quite for a physical release. That makes sense, given how expensive the color printing would be and how it's not exactly guaranteed to get a lot of sales.

Flat colors are ok, but that heavily processed coloring with a lot of shading are cancer.