"Itadakimasu."

>"Itadakimasu."
>Through the Dark Lord. Amen.
This is fucking disgusting.

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=901193
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's called dynamic equivalence, faggot. There's no translation for 'itadakimasu' in English so the translator is allowed to make up something that creates an equivalent effect. Now go fuck yourself.

Who cares

Better than "Thanks for the food"

I guess this is what master level shilling looks like.

Worse than bon appetite.

Casual filter

>doesn't know the language, needs subtitles
>doesn't notice when liberties are taken unless it's toddler-level phrases
>still thinks he knows better than the translator

>creates an equivalent effect.
It's not even close to equivalent you cucksucker. That's why the internets are upset.

Why

Back before I used edit for Philanthropy the typesetter had a habit of putting emotes in the subtitles. After I joined I axed that shit pretty quick. The real annoying shit is when characters make jokes that don't make any sense to non-japs. Sometimes the translator would just give me a raw translation that didn't make any sense too.

I almost miss those days. It was hell trying to crank out a release in 12 hours back then but we did it anyway. We weren't the best but we were fast.

rub a dub dub

JUST

Oh fuck user, that got me good.

The hell? You guys had to deal with this?

I think something neutral like "let's eat" is fine. It's not meant to be something with a deep meaning to it, it's just some shit you say without thinking about it because you were raised to, like saying "bless you" after someone sneezes or something. Would you want the Japanese to translate that into some Buddhist verse or something because "lol dynamic equivalence"?

You guys are watching Gabriel Dropout. You obviously don't have a high standard for the shit you consume. Why does this bother you? Why does a garbage show need good subs?

THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

Back to your jojo general kid.

hahahahaha what hilarious puns
hella sugoi aint it bros

In this pic 4kids is unironically better than CR/Commie etc.

It's a joke. You obviously already know what itadakimasu means, so it shouldn't affect your understanding of the show. What's the problem? How does it detract from your experience besides you being an autistic faggot? Man, someday I'm going to become a translator and fuck up every line just a little bit to fuck with people like you.

Okay, I laughed.

"Thanks for the food" is probably the closest translation that could be used without butchering the original meaning or confusing non-Japanese speakers. "Let's eat" sounds too American to me

Fuck off Daiz.

Sup Forums's defense against this kind of bullshit is that we will translate it ourselves faster and better and release it just before you do so all your work goes to waste and we will still make threads about how shit your subs are

>It's an American cartoon where a family says grace before digging in
>The Japanese subtitle is "Itadakimasu!" throughout the entire prayer

i know its shit but do we really need more than one thread

I don't know what cracks me up the most. Shitty translations or CR shills desperately trying to defend it

you missed the main thread

>someday I'm going to become
lol nope you're just the same little bitch as those you're mocking. Don't pretend you're any better.

there have been at least 4 already and there are going to be a lot more before we are through

Yes we do.

And much worse. The entire script of every episode is littered with these.
It's like they hired NISA.

You produced original content for Sup Forums.
You will never be thanked, rewarded, or remembered.
thanks

Why does a demon from hell have Japanese table manners?

How is it not? Japanese say itadakimasu, Americans say grace.

Isn't this a Mormon and '50s thing? Who even says Grace anymore?

People not going to hell

Usually more traditionalist Christians

In Germany we just say "Guten Appetit".
Just so you know.

and how do you say in Arab? Ahmed

>You will never be thanked, rewarded, or remembered.
Because it's not original, even if it's funny.

I missed these kinds of things, thanks

4kids > * here

>king me
everytime.

This. It was pretty liberal, but the essence was preserved.

In my heart, it will always be "Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub"

Vigne and Satania should have been angels instead of Gab and Raph

rub a dub dub is unironically a more accurate translation though.

Shills that kill.

>doesn't know the language
Sounds like your average translator.

Is this also dynamic equivalence?

What the fuck does this actually mean? Did they miss the -un at the end?

What the hell were they thinking?

>Jeez, demonic lady! Throw a hella homer that moves Vigne, will you our sister in faith?
Fixed.

Whole anime is filled with simbolism and these weaboos notice it just now.

What a bunch of losers.

Congratulations for not getting the joke.

This guy got it. Vigne is acting like a normal human. Being polite, organized, properly behaved, etc. Not actually praying to Satan. It's the opposite of what she's supposed to be doing.

More to the general point, why would a Japanese person living in Japan say an American grace? The translator's job is to make the words understandable to people who don't speak the language. What you're describing is rewriting the story to put it in a different cultural context.

Stop defending this 4kids level bullshit. Not on Sup Forums at least which has always hated localization.

Proper table manners in the west is saying grace (a prayer to God)

Why wouldn't they? No one here says "thanks for the meal"- that's a foreign concept. If you're going to translate, you have to show the intent of the words, not just the words themselves. Words devoid of context give the wrong meaning.

>Not on Sup Forums at least which has always hated localization.
All those gg threads with people memeing beg to differ

>Proper table manners in the west is saying grace
Yeah, if you are 80 years old maybe.

>Proper table manners in the west is saying grace (a prayer to God)

The nyaa comments are pure comedy.

I really miss these.

>not posting it

nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=901193

OK fine, used to be. But I'm assuming if you live in the West, you're at least familiar with saying grace.

A more literal translation would be along the lines of 'Geez lady! Where are you throwing it?"
A reasonable liberal translation would maybe be "Geez lady! What are you aiming at?"

Homeruns are hit and not thrown, so I'm pretty sure 'throw a homer' is completely made up garbage. I'm not too knowledgeable about baseball and its terminology but I think'wild pitch' would be a better fit here...

6/10 bait, try harder.

>in the west
That's nice. Too bad this anime is set in Japan.

Too bad the ones watching them in english are mostly westerners.

Also shows set in the west or other words use itadakimasu. So not sure what point you're trying to make here.

>simbolism
Are you going to bring up that hidden Christian shit now? Because some common Japanese sayings can be through various lexical contortions be made to be kind of somewhat similar to a secret code used 400 years ago that has been forgotten even in Japan.

Until Ukami posts in her twitter that yes she really meant there to be obscure Christian references in her manga, I'm just gonna call this head canon.

Why would they want to vigne to throw the ball outside the park? So they have to run further to get it back? Please explain

god damn, I hate that mlp fuck

It's a Simpsons reference you dumb fuck.

> I'm not too knowledgeable about baseball and its terminology but I think'wild pitch' would be a better fit here...

Either that or saying "Don't airmail it, lady!" or something. I have no idea why they decided to make it baseball slang, but the least they could do would be to use a phrase that actually exists.

What's wrong with 'where are you throwing it?'
Sounds perfectly natural. Why so they feel the need to add some kind of slang?

Because they were raised in a dark alley with everyone bullying them in school, so all they know is rudeness. Nobody listens to what they say, so all they can do to express their frustration is doing it through subs for chinese cartoons.

>Sounds like you need more God in your life
Oh the irony.

>There's no translation for 'itadakimasu' in English

Thank you for the food

I grew up in a Catholic family and we usually said grace before dinner.

>it's a prayer of thanks for food
>only possible thing the prayer could be aimed at is god
>why would a demon be thanking the holy god
>clearly the prayer is for the dark lord
fuck off they did the right thing
it's not the west's fault the japanese are retarded and the level of dialogue put into anime is lower than primary school grade with overly repetitive simple sentences
seriously dora the explorer has better dialogue than the average anime

>Literally a show about angels & deamons
>hidden Christian shit

don't you have your hugbox to moderate, herkz?

I'm referring to one of the cartel shitters last week saying the random heaven & hell memes were appropriate because Christianity was once outlawed and Christians disguised their prayers using Buddhist and Shinto phrases but with a Christian double-meaning. Thus さすが actually means "Praise Jesus" or something stupid like that.

That was me, I was just having fun over the garbage subs.

ah, thanks. I was 90% ignoring the threads until today so I may have missed your sarcasm.

It sounded convincingly like something a CR shill would believe though. I'm baffled why anyone would defend it

>tfw already read the manga and can safely watch as animefags throw a massive shit party with these threads

It's called "bon appétit" you faggot.

Yes, we really do. There isn't enough up.

>fuck off they did the right thing
No they didn't. This isn't a translation, its is what one calls a rewrite.

What's so disgusting about it?

Not as disgusting as the "people" defending it.

Why would anyone complain about the translator's spicing up such a boring show? If it weren't for the funny subs, I wouldn't even be watching this pos.

Goes to show how pissed people are.

(Also shows that you should enter a thread title like the series name.)