youtube.com/watch?v=20PwaJYcnuk
screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/198486
diff.pics/delIo1okgxzB/1
anibin.blogspot.com/2016/04/1_39.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investigatory_Powers_Act_2016
twitter.com/AnonBabble

in case of Hyouka, definitely

Worth what?

On public trackers it downloads faster so yes.

Depends on the show.

For her yes.

For any recent kyoani show yes

Not until they start producing in 1920x1080.

Depends on how old the show is and if it's an upscale or not, I'd say

How clueless could you be?

anibin.blogspot.ca/

This website estimates the lineart resolution of every new airing show. If this website lists a show as being "1280+" (for horizontal resolution), then yes, downloading the 1080p version of that show is worth it.
Note: KyoAni's use of After Effects fucks up anibin's estimate methodology, so their estimates for KyoAni shows are incorrect. All KyoAni productions at least as far back as Chuu2 have been full 1080p.

You have no idea.
Nice vlc/madvr upscaling :^)

Don't use emoticons on Sup Forums.

What about NAOKI-Raws?

Sorry, Sup Forums made me do it.

And drawing at 60 fps, instead of the current 8-12. I think there were only 6 shows in the entire year of 2016 above 800p, and half of that was only the OP.

Screenshot from 1080p Horriblesubs release of Maid Dragon. It's pretty clearly full 1080p and not an upscale. Especially note the eyelash detail.
boards.fireden.net/a/thread/152416080/#152416080 720p.

Anyome else unable to watch sub- 720p shows?
It just looks so bad.

>I think there were only 6 shows in the entire year of 2016 above 800p
That can't be correct. There's usually more than 6 shows per season well above 800p.

If you care that much you should wait for the BD

Enjoy missing out on literally most of what anime has to offer. Hell, even Eva was only SD until recently.

According to anibin, 21 out of 49 shows last season were >800p. Congratulations, you are an idiot.

Regarding Horriblesubs in particular, even if a show is only listed as 720p on anibin and even if you possess a 720p display, you are still going to get better visuals by downloading and playing the 1080p file with proper MadVR/mpv downscaling if your computer can do so without frame loss. Why?

Anime studios distribute their anime via HDCAM/HDCAM-SR. Crunchyroll/Funimation/etc. receive the anime via these formats which are >720p formats. This means that ALL 720p HORRIBLESUBS FILES ARE LITERALLY DOWNSCALES. Here's the important part: CRUNCHYROLL AND ESPECIALLY FUNIMATION DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DOWNSCALE PROPERLY. Their 720p files are laden with artifacts stemming from poor downscaling methods, and to make things worse their 720p files have terrible bitrates compared to the 1080p files, compounding the artifacting issue.

It is baffling to me when I look at download numbers on nyaa and the Horriblesubs 720p version of any show, even ones in full 1080p like Maid Dragon, has far more downloads than the 1080p show. Stop downloading Horriblesubs 720p files. They're bad downscales with shitty birates.

>720p version has far more downloads than the 1080p show.
People probably cant tell the difference and if you live in rural american and have shit internet you take the 50% smaller download that looks the same.

It's not as simple as that.

youtube.com/watch?v=20PwaJYcnuk

SIZE MATTERS
that being said, i usually download at 720 and try to avoid HS, reasons for that is my internet is shitty and i tend to save the shows so space is important, for good shows with good reviews and visual i get the 1080

>i tend to save the shows
>archiving fucking Horriblesubs
You delete HS downloads after watching them and archive BD rips. Hard drive space should not be an issue with regards to Horriblesubs downloads. Shitty internet I can understand. Hard drive space is not an issue here.

>good reviews
Can't you form your own opinion?

One first needs to watch the show in order to do that.

>and try to avoid HS
Their subs are hit and miss but the HS 1080p release of most shows is going to be the best visual release of the show until the BDs, including 720p fansubs from TV sources, which are often somehow even worse than 720p HS visually.
Anyways, archiving HS or fansubbed TV rips is retarded. BD rips are for archiving.

>Decide to build a house
>Try to figure out which contractor to get
>Lol dont read other peoples reviews about them, just form your own opinion

>other peoples reviews
>other peoples
From what I can tell, most review sites can actually be paid to remove "harmful" reviews. The best reviews are usually written by staff members.

I've found that if they're not blue on nyaa fansubs usually aren't any better than HS.

Blue means nothing.
It's literally the cartel playing favorites.

>blue meme subs
>good

>watching anime equals building a house
Are you actually retarded or a child?

i do save the BDrips but sometimes i'm lazy too look back after an year for something and just archieve whatever, i only avoid doing this by watching the show several months after it aired my backlog is yuuuge
fuck off niggers, by reviews i mean Sup Forums reviews

Even if the show was made in 720p in Japan, 1080p releases on Nyaa typically have more bitrate even though they're just upscaled from 720p.

So in the end, they look better.

>I merely pretended
Kill yourself.

>trusting the meme cartel

Why not both?

Please. Conspiracy theories hold more weight when there's actually money involved. Nobody's getting paid off here. Blue just means someone at nyaa who has a solid grasp of both Japanese and English reviewed the subs and found the translation to be good.

>Blue just means someone at nyaa sucked off and swallowed herkz's cum

>someone at nyaa
Exactly.
Who are you more likely to praise? Your friends or total strangers?

>Blue just means someone at nyaa who has a solid grasp of both Japanese and English reviewed the subs and found the translation to be good.

Fucking oishii, throw me a hella homer will you?

no you

It literally is.

I always dl 1080p. Even if they're just upscales, they still look better.

I only notice the difference when they are side by side with 720p.
I still download 1080, it's gonna be deleted anyway, so why not have it look a little better, even if not by much?

For archiving, that has to be considered. But those are the BDs anyway.

I download anime in 1920x1440.

I can't see a difference in mpv between 720p screenshots and 1080p downscaled to 720, so just watch 720. Also, no one is archiving CR rips if they can help it, so no point bothering for airing shows.

>I can't see a difference in mpv
No wonder you're using mpv, instead of MadVR, which produces objectively superior visuals these days.

I only watch 480 because the minor difference between 480 and 1080 isn't worth the 400 extra megabytes and 5 more minutes.

Fuck off with your meme oil painting filters, no wonder why you also like kyoanus shit.

No, really. MadVR is better. Deal with it.
screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/198486

Bullshit it does. And spot the difference: you can't, because all CR rips are shit, so might as well go with 720.

Storage is cheap and so is internet, why not?

If you want to watch fullscreen on a 1080p+ display, yes.

Try downloading 720p and upscaling that vs flat out 1080p, the latter will simply look better.

720p version is zoomed in.

>1280x720
If you're going to be playing them on a 720p screen then obviously there's no point in downloading 1080p

It's what? I downscaled the 1080 to 720. No difference. Same with upscaling the 720: minor banding artifacts (e.g. back of neck), but not noticeable during playback.

>It's what?
It's zoomed in. Compare the screenshots carefully.

1080p is notably sharper in this comparison.

>Is 1080p worth it?

No my dude, 24 fps and 720p is enough.

>the tip of Kanna's horn sticking up in the air
Whoa. MadVR is a LOT better at upscaling.

The point is the quality is nearly identical. And the reason for this is partly due to 1080 being bitrate starved; 1080 has 2.25 times the amount of pixels as 720, but the 1080 encodes aren't even a third bigger than 720. The bits/pixel for 1080 CR rips is too low to warrant worrying about quality, as the quality is plain shit all around.

looks significantly better than

>attempt to prove that there's no reason to download 1080p files
>actually end up proving that the 1080p files are significantly sharper in appearance
People blowing themselves the fuck out are funny.

My bad, that's because the screenshots aren't at identical frames (393ms, vs 433ms). But that's not the point - the point is the 720 isn't somehow horrendous in comparison to the 1080.

Post identical frames. Also, was Joker Game a CR or Funi rip? The poor downscale thing is a bigger issue with Funi rips.

That depends entirely on your PC setup, with 720p and any decent renderer like madvr you will be upscaling to 1440p and then downscaling to 1080p which will use more resources than playing native 1080p.

If you have the hardware (Intel + Nvidia) and don't want to download 1080p files because the huge file size you can use madvr's NGU image doubler with 720p and under and get amazing results as long as you're using good encodes. Even Nnedi3 is about to be replaced by NGU Pixelart for low bitrate full of artifacts bad encodes.

I have a 4690K + GTX970 and because my PC is always running media 24/7 and I still want to use my PC to play videogames or other stuff yet I want to take advantage of madvr algorithms I have different profiles for 1080p, 720p and SD.

For SD content I use NGU Pixelart "Medium" for Image Upscaling and Jinc AR with SuperRes 4 for Chroma Upscaling
720P, NGU Pixelart "Low" and Jinc AR with SuperRest 2 Chroma.
1080p, I just use Jinc AR for image upscaling and Jinc AR SuperRes 2 for Chroma.

All 3 configurations use the same or very close amount of resources so I don't have to worry about some files hogging my hardware when I'm doing something.

if (srcWidth > 1280) "1080p"
else if (srcWidth 720) "1080p"

else if (srcWidth > 960) and (srcWidth

>notably
>significantly
Exaggerating a little, no? Like I said, I don't see it in motion. And compare the BD, and even the 1080p CR rips look terrible.

diff.pics/delIo1okgxzB/1 comparison Daiz posted a while back illustrating Funi's terrible downscaling.

This is assuming you have a 1080p monitor*

>Exaggerating a little, no?
I don't see how "notably" is an exaggeration.

For Movies and OVA's less than 10 episodes, yes.

Otherwise not really

It's not an exaggeration. My eyes actually work, and yes, I would see that shit in motion. I have 20/10 vision and watch anime on a 32" 1080p display a couple feet from my face.

Mpc hc does this shit with subtitles sometimes.
I guess any player is better than it currently.

>CRUNCHYROLL AND ESPECIALLY FUNIMATION DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DOWNSCALE PROPERLY. Their 720p files are laden with artifacts stemming from poor downscaling methods, and to make things worse their 720p files have terrible bitrates compared to the 1080p files, compounding the artifacting issue.
You know, if they're downloading HS, they probably don't give a shit about any of that.

I make sure to archive with quality groups like commie and gg.

I've never had an issue like that in many years of watching subbed anime with MPC-HC. Are you using xysubfilter like you should be?
Ahahahahaha. Oh wow. You're a funny guy.

>Mpc hc does this shit with subtitles sometimes.
I've never seen that.
I've seen other fuck-ups, like the cover-ups for Jap-text not working properly at times, but I figure it's just incompetent groups not setting them up right.

It's a tad sharper, that's undeniable. If you want the extra bit of quality it makes sense to go for the 1080p version, especially if bandwidth and storage space aren't an issue, although it's not as big as people claim it to be.
In some cases the difference between the two versions is much stronger than what you posted (the 1080p one still looks a little bit blurry).

Did you, by any chance, use CCCP or KCP to install MPC? I have found through experience that codec packs like these cause problems in MPC-HC that don't exist with manual MPC-HC/MadVR/xysubfilter installation.
I haven't seen a subs issue like that with MPC-HC and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone post about it.

anibin.blogspot.com/2016/04/1_39.html
Joker Game is ~864p. Yeah, the difference is going to be a lot bigger with a full 1080p production like KyoAni shows.

Only BD. Also FLAC.

He probably has "move subtitles to the bottom of the screen/window" option enabled IF using madvr.
I

Did I get slapped back to 2006?

>I make sure to archive with quality groups like commie and gg.
I'm going to ignore this obvious joke.
>You know, if they're downloading HS, they probably don't give a shit about any of that.
Not necessarily true. The HS 1080p release of new shows is quite often the visually superior release available until BDs are ripped and released. IIRC Daiz has used HS 1080p video for Underwater releases. Those who pay close attention to video quality know that HS 1080p files usually look pretty damn great in a media player with debanding.

>mfw bongland
>mfw i received a cease and desist letter from my ISP over my torrenting

Kissanime can't be bad, watermarks don't bother me.

I reinstalled and it went to pic related
So yeah.

>FLAC
Literal bloat. If you need quality source for whatever, then you should download the audio itself instead of forcing everyone who downloads the encodes to have bloat.

If only there was chat software utilizing an ancient application layer protocol which could download anime without putting your IP on a public tracker.
If only the group that releases almost every new show the fastest had its own chat channel through which you could download these releases at over 20 MB/sec.

was prolly the issue and reinstalling prolly unchecked that.

Stop fantasizing. This isn't your Japanese cartoons.

Oh god what? Is that possible?
Heatenings

You don't get it, the GCHQ have gained the power to trawl through computers unnoticed. They caught me through a backdoor.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investigatory_Powers_Act_2016

>XD
Fuck off.