2017 political reads

im looking for good, interesting, and as factual and unbiased as possible articles/essays/publications etc from 2017

I used to study political science back in uni and I miss it quite a bit

any one have any recommendations of anything interesting they've read this year? I'm open to just about any topic but I'm mostly interested in topics revolving around conflicts between states, specifically Europe and Us foreign policy

if you've got nothing, I'd also like to hear any publications you like. I generally like foreign affairs

Other urls found in this thread:

foreignpolicy.com/2016/12/22/the-unlearned-lessons-from-the-collapse-of-the-soviet-union/#browder
nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/16/magazine/uncounted-civilian-casualties-iraq-airstrikes.html
cjr.org/analysis/fake-news-media-election-trump.php
theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it
niskanencenter.org/blog/clash-civilizations-counterterrorism-dangerous/
brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2017/06/05/at-last-the-trump-doctrine-revealed/
cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/unforced-error-risks-confrontation-iran
lawfareblog.com/state-sovereignty
cfr.org/blog/untangling-qatar-kerfuffle
nationalinterest.org/feature/germanys-right-wing-crusaders-21209
the-american-interest.com/2017/12/13/way-little-trust/
fpif.org/
justsecurity.org/
longwarjournal.org/
lawfareblog.com/
diplomaticourier.com/
encyclopediageopolitica.com/
soundcloud.com/war_college/tracks
prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-book-reveals-nanoweapons-more-problematic-than-nuclear-weapons-300434049.html
washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/17/sharafat-ali-khan-sentenced-terrorism-illegal-immi
washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/smuggling-ring-from-pakistan-and-afghanistan-to-united-states-exposed-in-dc/2017/04/12/a8118854-1ad4-11e7-9887-1a5314b56a08_story.html
thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15507/russia-fires-off-multiple-icbms-and-cruise-missiles-during-massive-nuclear-drill
timesofisrael.com/israeli-planed-reportedly-hit-chemical-weapons-site-in-syria
nzivnet.com/articles/12172
nzivnet.com/articles/5297
thediplomat.com/2017/08/the-egypt-north-korea-connection
bigstory.ap.org/article/44c8332fd5a645478fbec7d4732a8fc5/israel-plans-mass-evacuation-if-war-erupts-again
nzivnet.com/brief/13786
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the audacity of hope, by a nigger

link me to your blog

blackniggersmatter.com

Foreign Affairs can be bearable at times. There's nothing else out there.

The Economist is 100% anti-white Jewish globalists, full fucking Kalergi.
Foreign Policy is 100% anti-white Jewish politicking disguised as conservativism.

>specifically Europe and Us foreign policy
I suggest you read up on the history of Israel

>I used to study political science back in uni and I miss it quite a bit
fucker do you know where you are? is this modern bait?

Yes I'm well aware. FA is the closest thing to a decent publication that isn't restricted to academic settings and available on newstands. Would like to read more decent publications but having a hard time finding them
thanks and thanks for Reddit spacing in my thread

autism headquarters but I know there are some intelligent pipo here regardless of the postings.
also, might be postmodern :^)

You can not be interested in what Sup Forums has to say and also miss your days of postmodern critical colonial theory. These days there tends to be little overlap between "academic" and "unbiased". I'm guessing you don't come here often?

senpai I've probably been here longer than you and I say this with embarrassment
reread my post where I mention there are some ppo who know what they're talking about. If you've ever steered away from bait threads on a specific topic you'll realise this. It's rare but it's here.

well that's fine then, but i'm not sure what you're looking for if you tell me you miss your uni days of studying politics. people used to visit this place because it was its own filter for something like truth. current affairs is more difficult than philosophy because it is real-time, and i don't know that there is much agreement on sources covering specific things like conflicts. you would have to find independent journalists separating wheat from chaff in government publications, and for that you need to know precisely what you're interested in. as for ideas about foreign affairs in general, that sounds more like blogging material to me? i personally mostly read blogs these days, since you can filter information from a distance now. some of them might describe themselves as "journalist". so whatcha looking for? maybe an example of something you liked?

From my Instapaper part I. Just for you user.

>The Soviet Union Is Gone, But It’s Still Collapsing
foreignpolicy.com/2016/12/22/the-unlearned-lessons-from-the-collapse-of-the-soviet-union/#browder
>THE UNCOUNTED
nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/16/magazine/uncounted-civilian-casualties-iraq-airstrikes.html
>Don’t blame the election on fake news. Blame it on the media.
cjr.org/analysis/fake-news-media-election-trump.php
>Portugal’s radical drugs policy is working. Why hasn’t the world copied it?
>Since it decriminalised all drugs in 2001, Portugal has seen dramatic drops in overdoses, HIV infection and drug-related crime. By Susana Ferreira
theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it
>“CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS” IN COUNTERTERRORISM IS DANGEROUS
niskanencenter.org/blog/clash-civilizations-counterterrorism-dangerous/

Part II. Hunting for stuff that's IR/ global conflict centric
>At last: The Trump Doctrine, revealed
brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2017/06/05/at-last-the-trump-doctrine-revealed/
>Unforced Error: The Risks of Confrontation with Iran
cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/unforced-error-risks-confrontation-iran
>The State of Sovereignty
lawfareblog.com/state-sovereignty
>Untangling the Qatar Kerfuffle
cfr.org/blog/untangling-qatar-kerfuffle

Part III
>Germany's Right-Wing Crusaders
nationalinterest.org/feature/germanys-right-wing-crusaders-21209
>In Way Too Little We Trust
the-american-interest.com/2017/12/13/way-little-trust/

Part IV: Sources

Based only on the knowledge that you're a FA fan.
fpif.org/
foreignpolicy.com
the-american-interest.com
nationalinterest.org
justsecurity.org/
longwarjournal.org/
lawfareblog.com/
diplomaticourier.com/
encyclopediageopolitica.com/

thanks I'm gonna check out the last three here a little later

This is what you are looking for, OP. Use it wisely.

"Be a student, not a follower"

War College podcast is also excellent IMO soundcloud.com/war_college/tracks

thanks for this as well

>The United States, China, and Russia are already locked in a new arms race to gain nanoweapons supremacy. Evidence suggests each major player is developing insect size drones, such as the United States Army's recently announced "fly drone," for surveillance and offensive missions.

>Millions of insect size drones...are projected to become the new weapons of mass destruction. But controlling millions of nanobots is difficult; once released, they may go beyond an adversary's boarders and kill indiscriminately.

prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-book-reveals-nanoweapons-more-problematic-than-nuclear-weapons-300434049.html

>boarders

>Sharafat Ali Khan, while acknowledging his guilt, denied he was the main smuggler, and said he was surprised he’s the only person arrested and prosecuted in the ring, which investigators said helped more than 100 illegal immigrants from Pakistan and Afghanistan sneak into the U.S.

washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/17/sharafat-ali-khan-sentenced-terrorism-illegal-immi

>...people from Pakistan who contacted him in Brazil, paid $5,000 to $12,000 each, then walked through the Colombian jungle or traveled north by bus, foot and plane, according to court filings.

>The trips he arranged were long, arduous and dangerous, court filings assert. “The average traveler took approximately nine months to get from Brazil all the way to the United States..."

washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/smuggling-ring-from-pakistan-and-afghanistan-to-united-states-exposed-in-dc/2017/04/12/a8118854-1ad4-11e7-9887-1a5314b56a08_story.html

>Russia Fires Off Multiple ICBMs and Cruise Missiles During Massive Nuclear Drill

thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15507/russia-fires-off-multiple-icbms-and-cruise-missiles-during-massive-nuclear-drill

>Israeli jets said to hit chemical weapons, missile site in Syria

timesofisrael.com/israeli-planed-reportedly-hit-chemical-weapons-site-in-syria

>The Syrians...understand that the game is not over. The pool of surprises in this war is an inexhaustible reservoir in which the entire world and its wife are stirring

nzivnet.com/articles/12172

>In sharp contrast to the clauses of the peace treaty between Israel and Egypt, Egypt has recently been carrying out massive development work at the airport in central Sinai.

nzivnet.com/articles/5297

>the North Korean government has helped train Egyptian scientists to produce their own missile systems

>the Egyptian government’s continued refusal to accept comprehensive international inspections of its nuclear energy program, has increased concerns in Washington that Egypt could seek its own nuclear deterrent

>This theory is substantiated by the IAEA’s discovery of highly enriched uranium at Ishas in 2007 and 2008

thediplomat.com/2017/08/the-egypt-north-korea-connection

>“In 2017, all of Israel is under threat,” said Col. Itzik Bar of the military’s Homefront Command.

bigstory.ap.org/article/44c8332fd5a645478fbec7d4732a8fc5/israel-plans-mass-evacuation-if-war-erupts-again

inb4 reddit spacing

I've been here since before Romney/Obama

>One of the main points of interest is the areas on the border of Tunisia and Libya, where the world's largest terrorist organizations carry out intensive activity and from there send their murderous arms in all directions.

>These organizations looted the new weapons warehouses of the Gadhafi army after its assassination, as well as the huge chemical weapons stockpiles it possessed.

nzivnet.com/brief/13786