Why didn't Oscar Academy voters understand Kimi no Na wa?

Why didn't Oscar Academy voters understand Kimi no Na wa?

Was because the first 30 minutes anime episode style? Was the OP song out of no where? Whas the PTSD of previous romances? What happend?

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oscars are goddamn wannabe elitist circlejerking party nowadays. No fun allowed, so fuck rewarding comedies, and any animation not made by Disney can go fuck itself automatically.

Anime is reviled by those pretentious faggots. They tend to only award Miyazaki because it's profitable and safe enough.

It's a shitty film.

I dont know why everytime someone says this they sound like a bunch of weebs

it's a shitty flick

Because its an awful generic body swap romance?

Your name more like You're not nominated

Corner was better

Who cares about the Oscars? It's pure meme magic, bro.

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 14 weeks, 13 weekends
>Earns 20 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Wins LA Film Critics Award
>Has become the no. 1 highest-grossing Japanese movie in China
>Has become the no. 1 movie in Thailand
>The film immediately topped Korea's box office opening on 555 screens all around the country which is a new record for the Japanese film.
>Also dominated China breaking the all-time records for the most advance tickets sold and the fastest film to reach 100 million yuan ($ 14 million or 1.7 billion yen), with the first 100 yuan earned in just the film's opening day.
>The film also dominated the charts of Hong Kong and Taiwan becoming the number 2 and top highest grossing Japanese film on the respective countries
>Inexplicably jumps 41% in the Japanese box office and climbs from 7th place to 3rd place in one week
>Still in the top 10 in the Japanese box office towards the beginning of 2017
>Now grossed US$331 million.
>Surpasses the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million), making it the highest grossing anime film of all time.
>Is approved by Shinzo Abe and used by Cool Japan to spur tourism in Japan.

if only it could be good too

Am I the only one who thinks this fame should have go to "5 centimeters per second" 10 years ago, instead of this flick?

5 centimeters per second was a masterpiece and nobody cared back then except weebs.

Already a thing.

knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

inb4 mods go REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE again

>Sure, it's popular with japs, gooks and chinks but why should Oscar, but why would the AMPAS give a shit about that?

You don't seem to understand the Academy. They are not pretentious, they're just a bunch of old dudes who like a certain thing and are blind to when they are being pandered towards, or perhaps reward when they are being pandered towards because it means more of the same is produced exclusively for their enjoyment, like a weird power-trip.

Either way there are countless interviews of the voters of the animated category blatantly admitting that they vote for the movie that their kids enjoyed the most or that they think the animated category is basically the children's category. There is a thin margin of the voters who appreciate animated movies as movies and not keys rattling in front of children's eyes. There's only really 1 film of the 5-6 animated films nominated every year which is the adult/pretentious choice (see 2017 The Red Turtle, 2016 Anomalsia, 2014 The Wind Rises, 2012 Chico and Rita, etc), otherwise they are children's movies first and then judged as actual works of film.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Academy adding a "children's" category for their younger viewers, but then you're breaking the awards into genre. Why not award best comedy and best action film at that point. They call it best animated because animated films are arguably almost their own medium, but really it's just an excuse to showcase films for a younger demographic.

tl;dr You're giving the academy too much credit. They're the least pretentious institution, and in fact give the award to the least pretentious choice on purpose.

>BUT IT MADE MONEY IN ASIA WHY DOESN@T IT WIN AWARDS
fuck off nobody cares about box office figures, cameron

It didn't only make money in Asia, it made money worldwide even before it was released in the states and it still ended up the highest grossing anime film of all time.

It's because the movie is not really good. At least compared to Red Turtle, which deservedly won.

They knew it was a Keit-ai ripoff

Kimi no Na Wa has a worse story than 5cm,

The judges wouldn't watch Chinese cartoons regardless of quality. They're old white people that only watch the shit their kids tell them to watch. I don't know why they even judge a medium they couldn't care less about.

>W...who cares
>Endless whining by Shinkaifags

To be honest, I don't know why it was not nominated.

The animation was good and as far as anime goes, it was a safe option being a shoddy School Romcom.

Whether it 'deserved to win' is another question. I don't think it should have won had it been nominated.

Only one anime film has one an Oscar if I remember right. Why are you surprised?

What happened to these threads?

A few months ago people would actually discuss it, then once it wasn't nominated they turned into shitpost central.

Or is it just "I hate it because its popular now?"

>Or is it just "I hate it because its popular now?"

The meme magic has worn off a lot now.

People are just seeing it for what it was. Kind of like when a child first sees snow. As you get a little more mature snow doesn't seem so wonderous.

The film itself was nothing more than a teen romance with an unexpected twist. Overall, it was nothing spectacular though.

I ironically hate it because it's overhyped and not that good.

Your Name will win the Japan Academy Awards over In This Corner of the World and La La Land will the Academy Awards over Moonlight. Screencap this injustice

I'm not arguing the quality of the film, it just feels like a sour grapes thing once it wasn't nominated.

Only Asians like the movie.
And Asians want to feel validated by Whites, so they wanted the movie to get some Oscars.
No Oscar means that the movie has to be crap, and talking and liking it means that you like crap. Because only the Oscars matter in the entire world.

Maybe you're talking about Africa or non-English speaking Europe because as a guy from the UK I can tell you it wasn't very big here. There were like 2 screenings at my local indie cinema and I live in a student city, the perfect demographic for this film.

It took ages for it to come out in the West and when it did everyone realized it was overhyped. I was hyping the shit to no end before it came out near me but I was underwhelmed when I saw it. From the sounds of it most people are the same.

It doesn't even open in the US until April so there was no hype built up around it unless you are paying attention to the japanese market and most of the judges don't even bother watching the films or just take take their children to see them and let them decide
>cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
In this corner of the world has a pretty good chance to win next year though
should have been nominated over red turtle but of course ghibli gets preference

They don´t understand japanese

Because romance is garbage.

It didn't get nominated because the publishers/distributors have to drop a ton of money to get it noticed by the academy. Ghibli films, which are distributed through Disney, obviously have the money to throw down to get their movies noticed. But Kimi is distributed by Funimation, so there's no way that it would ever get noticed. And even if they did have the money for it, the academy would pass it over for many of the reasons that have already been listed here (elitist circlejerking, animation is for kids, etc.)

Pic related ruined the movie desu. It lost all artistic merit at that point.

Maybe they did understand the film. The animation, backgrounds and art are really good, as well as the music but the plot is really generic. The red thread of destiny trope is specially cliche and repetitive. Fun to watch but that's about it.