Scanlation Thread

What manga are you translating/cleaning & redrawing/translating/ripping?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/cxyv3Mnd
mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/advanced-redrawing-methodes.2993177/
coe.utah.edu/~christom/
forums.sensescans.com/index.php?topic=2814.0
ruinevil.com/rawr/editguide/1.html
prettyanonymo.us/index.php/scanlation-resources/anonblacks-typesetting-guide/
prettyanonymo.us/index.php/scanlation-resources/
sensescans.com/index.php?topic=3260.0
ruinevil.com/rawr/editguide/2.html
youtu.be/BP-wRBfObqc
amazon.co.jp/9/dp/4088904796/
i.imgur.com/hfYPLWR.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Best scanner or all in one printers for tanks?

Is there user who could modify the script for bookpass? I have the ver.1 (was coded by enjhooker user)for it but it's not working anymore. I think the viewer is the same as Reader Store.
pastebin.com/cxyv3Mnd

Take it apart and scan it normally. Doesn't really matter what printer as long as it works.

ayy

I've had both bad luck with low and high end scanners leaving lines all over the place. Really difficult to find working machines unless you do some research at some comic restoration forum

The current top scanners are
Epson Perfection V550
Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II

Try using the TWAIN drivers and scanning directly into Photoshop alternatively you can use IrfanView.

Scan lines are a defect with the scanner head itself, not the TWAIN.

Dead bread

How would you stitch together two pages when the tones don't "line up"?

New Elf danmachi spin-off to chinese

How does ripping from WSJ work?
I just need one issue (247), torrent's fucked for me

Doesn't wsj user upload to the Goddess?

Madokami went to shit.

Have you tried the method mentioned on chapter 3 from the link?

Chapter 4*, made a typo.

Is there a collection of fonts?

yes

Where?

[CLEANING]

coe.utah.edu/~christom/
forums.sensescans.com/index.php?topic=2814.0
ruinevil.com/rawr/editguide/1.html

[REDRAWING]

[TYPESETTING]

prettyanonymo.us/index.php/scanlation-resources/anonblacks-typesetting-guide/
prettyanonymo.us/index.php/scanlation-resources/
sensescans.com/index.php?topic=3260.0
ruinevil.com/rawr/editguide/2.html

Shit like this and this is why I post

It's helpful for the beginners, what's the problem here?

If you put that every thread it ends up being a general, which are frowned upon for a good reason, as they end up being circlejerks with nothing to do with the original topic.
They go full cancer when they start counting threads and have "editions".

And to top it off, all that info can be found with a basic search, unless they are chronic retards.

>Muh general
Clearly, you're retarded

Threads become generals when they stay up all the time. This might not be a general but you're deluded if you think it isn't a circlejerk.

I always wondered how do you take a tankobon apart in order to scan all the pages. I mean I guess pages are most likely glued with something right? How do you preserve the integrity of the outside taking the page from the tankobon? Let's say I want to scan both of them, the outside and the inside of the manga, what people normally do?

What you want to google is "debinding manga".
Granted I've never done it myself so I can't recommend any particulars

Just apply heat to the spine to melt the glue enough to pull the pages out gently. It doesn't normally damage the outside unless you're really reckless. I use a hairdryer for debinding. You don't even need an expensive one.

mmh mmh thanks for pointing me in the right direction, let's see what I can find. I'll post the result here just in case someone is wondering that too

some people use a hair dryer to melt the glue on the binding

How is this a circlejerk? The only time this has come close to it was when people started shitposting, but then again, that's shitposting for you. Take a look at this thread. People are asking stuff, other anons are replying and being generally helpful to each other.

It kind of turns into a circlejerk if someone tries to keep it up past its natural lifespan
That one fucking tripfag mostly

>one person bumping the thread to keep it alive makes it a circlejerk
Either you're retarded or I don't know what a circlejerk is.

It becomes a circlejerk when you have the same people in every thread, which is pretty much what happens here. Surely there's new users but most are regulars.

Yeah I guess it's not so much a circlejerk as that one guy jerking himself off. but still.

here it is, a good video tutorial explaining the process in a simple way youtu.be/BP-wRBfObqc

Actually, on the topic of debinding manga, what do people do with the pages after they've been debinded and scanned?

Do you attempt to rebind them or something? Or just kinda file them away in a stack?

I had an Epson V600 for a while and it was choice

They get filed away in a stack, in case they need to be rescanned for whatever reason.
I buy 2 of everything.

If you have a press it's possible to sort of rebind them, or at least to compress them back to an almost close enough height again. Normally I just wrap an elastic band around them though.

That's of the worst possible ways to do it. Not only does it take a drastically long time, it warps and wrinkles the pages.

What you want is an iron or hot plate. Then you just put a piece of cloth between the surface of the iron and the spine of the manga. Run the iron over the spin of the manga for a few seconds and the pages should peel right out.

Do not follow this video, it's not actually good in the slightest. Doing it with a hair dryer will damage the pages because you can not control exactly where you are heating up.

Do this it much faster and more effective.

>That's of the worst possible ways to do it.
I learned this the hard way. It smeared the glue all over my glossy color pages.

I don't bother because I'm a lazy ass, but it can be rebound (with a little loss on the page size). I had a place near me that offered a night class in bookbinding. It's surprising how much to the course there is but if you're interested, have the time, and can afford it, I genuinely recommend it.

Anybody recognize this font? Might be decent for a sound effect text.

I cropped the right text bubble and dumped it into WhatTheFont.
Looks like Artists Alley (Bold Italic)

Just don't use a hairdryer (or a microwave if you're especially touched in the head and actually considered that).

Thanks user, that's the one

what about a hair straighteners? I can buy a cheap one on ebay or amazon, tearing it apart making a one side plate and using it like a knife

Sure, half a hair straightener would work the same way as an iron.

since I do not live in japan and since I have no RAW manga to buy all of this may be useless but still I learned something today.
thanks ~(˘▾˘)~

most scanners don't live in japan. you just order online.

If you just use the hairdryer as a heat source and only heat the spine, is it really going to fuck shit up, other than being slower though?

I guess ordering your own manga and making your own RAW scans keep your quality at a higher level but what's the point if I can I have to wait weeks for the shipment when someone in Japan can host RAWs somewhere on internet one or two days after the release?

Because some people want to scanlate things that aren't (publicly) available on the internet.

Because japs don't host RAWS one or two days after release mostly? Most pubraws are shitty anyway, artificating anywhere, and not even properly levelled.

You can't only heat up the spine with a hair dyer.
It blows hot air out in a frontal cone that is much wider than the spine oh a book. So heat is, without fail, going to warp the pages.

it's not gonna touch the pages if you only blow it on the outside though. You might warp the cover, but you can scan that before debinding.

any update on a working ebj ripper script?

I think I misjudged Japanese people. I thought they were automatically uploading their stuff online because we in the West are addicted to anime and manga. Good point. I'm wondering now how much should I wait for a packaged from Japan to Europe but all of this may be too expensive for a scanlation team that mostly work free for users..

I've never used it for debinding, but my blow dryer came with a concentrator attachment.

Yeah, fuck that noise. Thank god for ebooks.

Why destroy the cover when you don't have to?And either way, heat will still reach the top and bottom of the pages.

>thank god for shitty shitscaled digital raws that's only good for reading on Japanese flip phones

Nope, paper raws are where its at

I mean, ideally digital master copies are what you want. But that'll never happen.

All I can recommend for that is order in bulk where possible. Tanks aren't actually that exensive mostly, so generally you're just paying for postage. Obviously if the costs all fall to you, it's on you, but I've personally paid for more than a few tanks I've worked on and it hasn't stopped me from being able to live. If you're really scrimping by paycheck to paycheck you might struggle though.

Shit looks fine, stop exaggerating. The large majority of your readers couldn't care less about the barely noticeable difference in quality anyway. It only really matters to (You).

Try reading old scanlations from the early 2000s.

>800px is fine, guys, geez!

Unless you work at Fakku

>retard tier reddit (you) posting
>is near blind
>doesn't even know anything about scanlating
It's no wonder you don't care about quality at all.
Please just leave and never come back, newshit.

Sure, but if you stop convection, there's no more heat reaching the pages than any other method. I just don't see why it's significantly awful compared to any other method of melting the glue.

Anyone have that Chinese tool updated? I want to pick it up a series from jump+

The large majority of readers are fine with shitty joke notes in the margins and machine translations too.
Are we condoning that now?

I can understand your opinion if most ebooks were 1600px (most new ones are nowadays, fortunately, they're getting better), I could understand. But 80% of ebooks are still >1200px.

I wonder what a Japanese reader (excluding cellphone-only readers) would think if he saw that Comixology releases 3000px. Do you think they reverse import?

He right though. Most manga aggregator readers don't give a shit about quality

Holy fuck, I remember paging through some old GTO and JoJo scans way back, though the former was also a combination of questionable typesetting choices

>warping the pages
>warping recycled pulp paper

ITT: people who have never done any debinding.

I use an iron, but I know the Kakushigoto scanner uses a dryer and somehow has managed to avoid the horror of page warp.

Or did you mean there is a critical temperature at which the tankoubon will collapse into a micro black hole and spew its pages into another universe? I don't think the average hair dryer can deliver that kind of heat.

Don't pretend like it isn't true, you know most people don't care. They wouldn't even notice the difference if you switched from your own digital raws to your own scans.

No, I'm just saying ebooks are fine if you don't want to go through the hassle of scanning stuff on your own.

>he
No, you. And you can't even type.

>being this autistic about grammer

get triggered

Are you really going to make me take pictures of the near 100s of books I debinded with an iron?

And you're just too stupid to know the difference either way or tell if the page has been warped.

It's not grammar, what you failed at is syntax.
What's it like living your life failing at everything because you are just so inherently stupid?

>triggered
Nice tumblr lingo you have there, it's almost like you want to make yourself look bad.

What is it like spending your days correcting online posts?

Get a girl. Get a life.

If I wanted to be surrounded by brain damaged retards I'd go to tumblr (where you are from). The point of being here (a place that has rules about quality of posting) is to get away from people like you.

there is almost no difference in price between digital and the actual manga, what do you think it's best? amazon.co.jp/9/dp/4088904796/ just an example here, I don't actually like umaru......

>~(˘▾˘)~
>......
Why is this thread so full of retards?

Ok, master debinder, show us a picture of such a "warped page" from heating dry paper. I agree, I am too stupid to conceive of a physical process that would distort the dimensions of a piece of paper while heating it short of actually singeing it. Enlighten us all.

(´▽`ʃƪ)

That's what you get for turning monthly threads into a weekly thing.

The best is always scanning and cleaning yourself. No question. The vast majority of scanlation cleaners are going to give you a better raw than the official digital raws (sadly). The question you should be asking is "are the digital raws good enough for my purpose". If they are, by all means use the digital raws and clean them for the convenience. On that front it's case by case though. Most publishers and stores won't sell you a copy that's a good res and is particularly well done.

What series?

>distort the dimensions of a piece of paper
You do realize this is not about changing the physical size of the paper, right?
Okay, let me give you an example you can test yourself.

Take a sheet of lined loose leaf paper and hold it between you two hands, palm to palm. Hold it for a minute or so and the heat/moisture from your hands will warp the paper and make it have ripples in it. Sort of like this image.

Now, because the paper is rippled when you scan it the lines on the page that were once straight will now reflect the ripples and not be perfectly straight.

バイバイ人類 and 阿波連さんははかれない

Not that guy, but I've used hairdryers and microwaves for years without experiencing any wrinkling. As long as you use a low heat setting and take it gradually, you won't have any problems.

do you remove onomatopoeias when cleaning scans? like this one i.imgur.com/hfYPLWR.jpg

seriously, any new ebj rippers? I don't want to use responsive design mode for everything

Typesetting/redrawing sfx is something that people can never seem to agree on.
Personally no, but sometimes I work with groups that like to do it.

I'm sure you're just too stupid to notice.
And why would you do something slowly and get a bad result, when there are other options that are faster and give better results.

Only if you hate having any free time, or like stalling.