Tenchi Muyo!

So not too long ago OVA 4's subs finally came out. What's surprising is that there hasn't been any threads discussing it, either that or I missed everything.

And apparently there's a new Pretty Sammy in the works.

Thanks for the heads up. I was surprised to see just now, that ep2 raws are out in force this time, after the first episode took forever to turn up in any form. Looking forward to the subbed ep.

Don't really care for more Pretty Sammy. It was cute back when it forst came out, but now I don't really give many fucks about yet more spinoffs with Tenchi characters, unless it turns out absolutely amazing by some freak accident.

>OVA4
OVA as in more Ryo-Ohki continuity? Or some other new continuity?
Did they fix Ryoko's design?
I'm not sure I can suffer more of that mess they made of her in Ai.

In the middle of watching it now. Not sure what to expect.

>OVA as in more Ryo-Ohki continuity?

Yes

Main continuity, everyone looks as they should.
Tenchi's aunt is visiting for Nobuyuki's wedding, Ryoko and Ayeka aren't fighting like cats, and Tokimi hangs out with Mihoshi.

Also, this happens in episode 2.

I have a hunch that it won't take forever to get it subbed like last time, but we'll see.

>Don't really care for more Pretty Sammy. It was cute back when it forst came out, but now I don't really give many fucks about yet more spinoffs with Tenchi characters, unless it turns out absolutely amazing by some freak accident.

I'm honestly surprised we're even getting a Pretty Sammy show. AIC must've rebuilt their faith in the Tenchi franchise for us to be getting something as random as this. Maybe it'll open the doorway for more spin-offs? Who knows?

OAV continuity and close to original design, though slightly updated.

>ep 1 subs come's out just as ep 2 gets released

btw ep 2 BD rip is up on nyaa

The updated art style wasn't as off-putting as I expected it to be. Jived quite well actually.

I still miss Kajishima's retro art style.

It's there. Not gonna touch it though. Been patient for fucking ever waiting on something like OVA 4, it's not going to kill me waiting for subs though.

I'd be open to more proper spinoffs, like Isekai, Dual or GXP (oh please, do a remake of that one). I'm not so hot on AIC repeating the same shit scheme that drove the franchise into the ground all those years back, by releasing completely unrelated alternate versions, that just happen to have the same character designs and basic character relations. AIC can't be aching so hard, that they can't afford a character designer. At least go hunt in other series as well, like Moldiver or Phantom Quest Corp.

Honestly, the only way they'll get me to watch Pretty Sammy is if they make it a mecha with little girls like Nanoha, or if they go the route of Prisma Illya.

How is AIC doing, anyway? I thought they went under long ago. They seem to be a small presence nowadays, acting cautiously with all this Tenchi stuff. Hopefully things will go well.

Yeah, but we already had Ryo-Ohki as a Gundam.

It's no shock, really.
With sub group numbers having dropped like flies over the past six plus years it's only to be expected. This is the price for same-day subs, some stuff just gets left in the dust.

Any nudity in the OVAs?

OVA 1-2 feature Ryoko getting topless in a couple of scenes.

Nice! Thanks, user.

>they go the route of Prisma Illya.

Pls no, Sasami is not for lewd

When did Tenchi start lifting?

Too late.

You need an iron body to bring happiness to all those ladies on a nightly basis.

He plants and grows all those carrots the old fashioned way. The only Jurian bullshit going on is how Washu made it so he can keep growing in all the fields without having to worry about nutrients. And he's been doing this for two or three years now, since he dropped out of school.
And he was pretty slim and wiry to begin with.

Man, every time I see Ryoko I just wanna buy DBXenoverse and make a notRyoko to space pirate fight as.

Fucking childhood misconceptions stick hard.

Plus we're way past the 90's so people are drawn with some meat on their bones.

Ayeka is pretty THICC now compared to from before.

I wouldn't go so far as THICC, but she does have some hips now, to stand against Ryoko's superior chest.

Of course, Mihoshi's body blows both of them away.

Makes sense she'd put on a bit of weight sitting around the house all day

>Yumi Takada doesn't voice Aeka anymore

Why?

Mihoshi is so fuckin' underrated, man. Delicious brown.

AYYYY AYYYY

I downloaded it but it woudn't play, I guess I'll get on that

The uploader used some setup that only works on his computer.
Keep the .ass file, delete the video, and get a new one more to your liking, then load the subs when you start watching.

>Mihoshi's body blows both of them away.
On the other hand though, if Mihoshi tried to sit on your dick she'd probably snap it in half by mistake.

the [BANE] release?

She retired a long time ago I think.

That's weird as fuck. Even though it's not the most favorable on here, have you tried using vlc player?

They need more like Photon or El-Hazard or an Isekai season 2. They used to do more like them, but the Tenchi name just sells really well. Case in point, War on Geminar.

Right.
I just grabbed a 720p vid and loaded the subs directly, and it works perfectly.

no I don't have VLC on the backup computer i'm using right now for whatever reason, it does show the mpc thumbnail like normal though, just doesn't play when opened

Yeah, I just did this. Saw HEVC and didn't even want to bother.

yeah it works on VLC

>They need more like Photon or El-Hazard or an Isekai season 2

Loved El-Hazard, liked Dual, but I gotta actually watch Photon. I hear it subtly ties in with Geminar.

"Subtly" in even less ways than Dual and GXP did. Some of the names are the same (Lashara) and the concept of aho energy is there, that's about it.

That said, you can marathon it in a night easily, it's hysterical, but prepare for mood whiplash at the beginning of the last episode. It takes a real dramatic turn for half of the ep and then comes back to funny again by the end. It's really weird, like that one half was directed by someone who wasn't aware of the tone of the series until that point.

oh jesus fuck this vlc won't show the video when connected to hdmi fucking hell

where did you find 720p vid nyaa only has the bane release

wait, no fuck never mind I forgot I had a filter on

From what I understand, Isekai pays more of an homage to Photon, by reusing some of its names and terminology, but it doesn't have actual ties to the Tenchi OAV universe.

You should still watch it though, as it is a really fun romp and features one of the best villains of all times.

Papacharino stole that fucking show.

I felt it's pretty much the same story structure Kajishima likes to do in the Tenchi series as well. 4 episodes SoL comedy followed by 2 episodes of shit hitting the fan.

I've noticed something similar, but more half-and-half. Especially Tenchi Universe and Isekai - the first halves are introducing the cast and goofing off, right at the end of the first half or the start of the second one, shit hits the fan and kicks off the grand adventure.

Almost like Jinnai from El-Hazard, where they're both these cartoonishly evil fucks that end up being so comedic within' the plot you can't help but love em.

Plus that and the teacher was awesome too.

The teacher's superpowers fucking killed me. That and how they played Jinnai's sister's power to see through illusions - "oh, how sweet, an interracial wedding," and all the guards are like PANIC.

fansubbing is dead, cr killed it

Anyone have the .ass for Vol1 handy?

It's up on Nyaa.

>Anyone have the .ass for Vol1 handy?

Mmmm wish I can help ya user.

It's kinda cool seeing Okuda draw off a scene in episode of OVA 4 as some bonus piece you get for buying the BD. At least we know he's active.

I fucking love the architecture of their house.

I'm curious if someone ever made a Sim household modeled after Tenchi's.

Complete with horny waifus?

Just finished watching the first ep. They actually did a good job of capturing the the feeling of the old stuff pretty well despite the updates. i do miss the old art style though.

I really should be more excited about the new OVA than I am but the OVA series is just so damn boring. After the first one nothing ever happens.
I really wish the manga stuff would get an adaptation. That was a fun read that actually knew how to balance SOL with space adventures.

The OVAs are just nothing but the writer beating off to how great he thinks his world is.

The OG girls are barely in it from what I hear.

Of coursh.

> i do miss the old art style though.

Ditto. His older artwork for the show and that in his doujins hit a right spot. Especially when the fucker is designing sexy ass lingerie for all the chicks to wear like in here .

It's about 60-40 with mostly Tenchi's girls.

Might've been to shove in introductions real quick to get it done with. Because I'm hearing the opposite with the second episode.

I wonder if stuff like this is going to make more people learn Japanese, although if a show ever gets big enough that people are having to go out of their way to try to watch it without subs it will probably get picked up

Well that's part of what my problem is. The main girls (who pretty much built the franchise) have done nothing but either get sidelined or regress as petty squabbling hens ever since the Kagato incident was resolved.

Meanwhile the author does nothing but try to force how great Noike is or how great ___'s third cousin from this other novel is.

The manga meanwhile excels at making the main girls feel like main girls.

If you didn't know about Ryoko's ability to phase through solid materials, she looks like an amputee clinging to Tenchi in this promotional art.

I really really enjoyed it, I don't always take the time to enjoy a slower paced series but when it's Tenchi the episode flies by

there's a certain appeal to characters not always being in the spotlight either to

The manga was great A stuff, which is why I think it's cool that they include his illustrations in each of the episode's boxset.

I'm reserving judgement for when everything is said and done with the show. Not that I'm expecting an apocalypse to go down or anything, but still we gotta see what happens.

>we gotta see what happens.
Some things are visible from a mile away.
Minaho is perusing Tenchi on Seto's suggestion, if not her orders. Either Tenchi hooks up with her and that's one more pair made and one less old maid hanging around her, or the girls get spurred into action and Tenchi settles down with them.
Either way, Seto wins.
And we know how this turns out.

>Either way, Seto wins.

All according to fucking keikaku.

I guess.

It seems to me that she wants two things.
Intergalactic peace, and lots and lots of grandchildren.

And since Tenchi refuses to take the throne, there's only one way he can fit into her plans.

They make her too invincible and infallible imo.

Yeah if you take a break and step back to see things from an outside perspective that's fine once or twice not every fucking time. That only works in the occasional TNG or DS9 episode because they go right back to the main characters immediately

I get this impression that he's afraid of doing anything with the main cast of characters. You get an entire sandbox for them to play around in but they spend all their time cooped up in the house. Seina gets all the crazy space antics that I felt should've shared with the Tenchi crew as well.

Either he's burnt out from using them or just wrote himself in a corner with all this godhood nonsense. He only draws short doujins featuring the iconic cast instead of their own line of novels or his spin on their manga.

Honestly I just don't think he was ever that good a writer to start with frankly. OVA1 is what I consider the height of the franchise but there where a lot of people putting input on that one to keep his crazy ass in check and I really think it was these folk who made the series what it was.

Universe ain't without it's share of flaws but it was at least a complete space adventure where shit happened, relationships mattered and the hero grows and completes his task. Even the sillier episodes would have shit happen that was at least interesting to watch. Fuck even Tokyo, shit show that it was was about something.

That's really the biggest problem with the OVA series. It's not about anything. The world is certainly interesting but that doesn't matter if you're not telling a story with it.

Do you think we'll ever get actual Tenchi figures?

??? Every OVA series had things happening.

It probably just feels weird now because we're waiting on the OVA to release again, as the first episode is usually much ado about nothing.

First batch was introductions and Kagato.
Second batch was the Doc and Tokimi foreshadowing.
Third batch was Zero and Tenchi being a literal god (way too much foreshadowing and holes though, which is one of the few legit criticisms of OVA3 that few talk about...)

Fourth batch..........well all we know so far is weddings and Seina refreshing. To be honest I'm wondering if he's not just trying to move some of the novels.

Anyone have an update chart?

Is the second and third El-Hazard OVA worth watching?

>Second batch was the Doc and Tokimi foreshadowing.

The Doc was shit, the Zero Fusion was Bologna and if all you manage to do in 6 or 7 episodes is less than five minutes of foreshadowing for future episodes than you just wasted everyones time.

>Third batch was Zero and Tenchi being a literal god

For ONE episode.

Seconds Meh, but third is kind of shit. It seems like it was intended to be longer because they scrambled to resolve shit ASAP dropping entire plot threads.

What's more all it really does is add another girl to pine for Makoto, when SPOILER WARNING the romance was resolved in the first OVA.

The Wanderers TV series is kind of dumb and changes a lot of key characters drastically but it's an alright watch by itself

Eh, not really. You might watch it for completion's sake, but I wouldn't expect to be thrilled by it.

The TV series is OK and somewhat entertaining, but it changes the story and some of the characters up a lot--some ways good, some ways not so good.

I agree with what you're saying. OVA 1 felt great when on my first viewing and still continues to be that on this day, Universe continues with that same feeling but only spiritually. It was pretty much when the series was most stable in execution.

I don't hate OVA 2 or Tokyo either.

>That's really the biggest problem with the OVA series. It's not about anything. The world is certainly interesting but that doesn't matter if you're not telling a story with it.

There is stuff going on within' the OVA continuity, is just that it's not involving the main cast. When it does, it's usually kind of haphazardly done (OVA 3). Although OVA 4 doesn't seem do offensive as of now, I don't even think Kajishima is the one solely directing it.

How many episodes will OVA 4 be? I also feel with this many characters the episodes themselves should be longer to give everyone breathing room.

Just four. Might add more like they did with OVA 3 but I dunno 'bout that.

>I'm reserving judgement for when everything is said and done with the show
I just hope we don't have to wait another decade for it.

>I'm reserving judgement for when everything is said and done

I think when it takes over two decades to finish your series you're free to judge it based on partial information because that's how they're releasing it

Damn dude.

Damn, nothing. NINETEEN NINETY FUCKING TWO this shit started. That's 25 goddamn years. Major character actors have retired while this shit was sitting gathering dust. You don't get patience or understanding after 25 years.

The fuck does he even do, when not not making tenchi? Getting distracted by side projects and lore wank.

He writes books and doujin as well as other projects and spinoffs.