There's just a massive amount of people who are absolutely convinced its repeal is a terrifying thing...

There's just a massive amount of people who are absolutely convinced its repeal is a terrifying thing. It feels like 99% of internet users are sure of this.

The problem I'm having is actually forming a well backed up opinion. I feel like I can't take sides because I don't know enough. I don't understand how everyone's convinced of this so strongly. I seriously doubt these people read articles about net neutrality every day and of course almost no one has read the bill and understood it.

I'm not saying there's some media conspiracy, where all the outlets are saying repeal is bad in order to mislead people. What I am saying is that I feel like might just be a lot of group-think going on. I mean, when was the last time you've read/listened to someone on why net neutrality is bad? I have a really hard time finding opposing opinions.

An argument net neutrality supporters have is that companies are spending millions to kill net neutrality, and companies are always trying to make profit. It makes it seem like they'll screw us, but that's unfounded. You can't assume their goal is to fuck over customers. Maybe there's some other reason.

Like can you actually explain net neutrality without regurgitating some interpretation someone nobody wrote online?

Also, it's not like the media isn't guilty of spewing bullshit everywhere. Like the stuff with Google memo and Martin Shkreli.

People just read some articles about them and are parroting the bullshit to this day.

Other urls found in this thread:

rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/10/13/millennial-asks-for-net-neutrality-explanation/
rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/11/28/americas-anchorman-answers-your-questions-on-net-neutrality/
networkworld.com/article/2185187/security/15-worst-internet-privacy-scandals-of-all-time.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wait until you realize that's literally everything we think of as facts.

Literally everything.

I understand that, but it seems like it's a really complex topic to form an opinion about unless you're a lawyer or someone who is around this topic every day of the week. Like I can't form an opinion even if I wanted to. I'd have to learn an unbelievable amount of information.

Do you have an opinion on this?

>You can't assume their goal is to fuck over customers.
Yes I can. Their only reason to exist to to collect revenue.

Now just realize how quickly people form opinions about complex tax regulation, international trade, or the environmental effect of certain chemicals.

>Like can you actually explain net neutrality without regurgitating some interpretation someone nobody wrote online?

It's regulating something with a monopoly like an utility. The media are shilling for it because it affects them.

That's it. It's not a partisan issue. It's a problem of cost and whom to settle with it.

As a NatSoc I'm pro-NN because the ISPs are unaccountable internationalists and thus need to be regulated.

The only people who are affected are netflix and google. Everyone else isn't affected.

Video streaming sites will have to negotiate with ISPs just like any manufacturer has to negotiate with retailers.

So you're saying any law that a company supports is bad because all they do is collect revenue? And is that your best argument? Not trying to be patronizing, honestly, but I just feel like that argument is completely flawed and is nowhere near enough to convince me.

All anti-net neutrality people can come up with is lies.

Where is the proof?

It's not a law they want, it's a lack of a law that stops them doing blatantly anti-customer jewing. It's like saying there's nothing pernicious in a nursery lobbying for a repeal laws regarding child rape, or a hot dog stand owner complaining that you're not allowed to spit in food you're selling -- what do you fucking think the motive is?

>You can't assume their goal is to fuck over customers. Maybe there's some other reason.
I don't know enough about it either but the bong is right. It seems like it's a battle between ISPs and the companies like Netflix and Google over who will make money. We've seen that none of these companies care about a free and open internet so it's just money. NN benefits people like Netflix more than it does ISPs.

Net neutrality is a fake leftist issue like climate change. They just want the government to control more things. It's what they always want. They are communists.

I don't know the motive. That's the point. And I feel that a lot of people might be assuming what the motive is without knowing enough.

Also, I'm sure there's some laws you heavily disagree with. And something like this isn't as straightforward as child rape or murder.

Google and Netflix are irrelevant to the topic because they're always going to have a jewish peering agreement with ISPs. What will happen sooner or later is that ISPs will start throttling or blocking packets based on source, destination, or inspection of packet contents. They will do this to ease up on their total network traffic by up to, say, 20%. Maybe they'll try to nickel-and-dime customers with "fast lanes" (i.e. that which is not arbitrarily crippled based), or maybe they won't. Time will tell, but there is a lot of precedent for ISPs doing these things all over the world.

The regulation was so straightforward that the motive for wanting its repeal should be obvious.

How is it a lie? Internet media companies are the ones shilling for it.

Why should my ISP be forced by law to give the same bandwidth to wikipedia as it does a random phishing/virus site?

Why should all internet users subsidize video streaming sites like Netflix? Netflix should pay those costs to the ISP and pass those costs to their customers.

P.S. the first thing they'll throttle and block will be torrents, again

>they're always going to have a jewish peering agreement with ISPs
Do they?

Literally not the case at all. ISPs don't give a fuck about your personal website and all 20 of its visitors. It does care about youtube and netflix because they choke their bandwidth.

Verizon will charge Google and Netflix to upgrade their networks and those costs will either be absorbed by the company or be passed on to the consumer.

"Netflix does not pay for the bandwidth it uses" is a lie. The second big lie the anti-NN guys keep spouting is "net neutrality has enabled Google to censor conservatives" -- where did this idea even come from?

Companies that need an extreme amount of bandwidth tend to colocate some of their networking infrastructure into premises shared with several ISPs such as Level 3, and enter a peering agreement with those ISPs. It's not Netflix that is going to see arbitrary throttling (they're going to continue their peering contract), but the consumers.

Here's a tricky question for you. Exactly what business does Verizon have with Google and Netflix and Facebook, and why do you think that Verizon was not free to name their price under NN?

It should also be noted that ISPs voluntarily entered peering agreements with Netflix and others while NN was in effect, so unsourced claims of "they choke their bandwidth" are worthless.

CALLER: I wanted to speak to you about net neutrality. Being a Millennial, I have friends who are so scared that evil corporations are going to regulate the internet now that net neutrality is not going to happen....can give me a brief synopsis of why we don’t want net neutrality that I can give to my Millennial friends —

RUSH: Happily. But I guarantee you they are not going to accept what you tell them is true...Thomas Hazlitt is a professor of the broadcast spectrum, the communications spectrum. He’s an expert. He’s written a book called The Political Spectrum, and it’s in lay terms to explain the history of regulation over the spectrum — radio, TV, two-way, internet, wireless, cellular...

Here it is in a nutshell. Net neutrality as advocated by the people that your friends like and support is asking for the government to regulate it. Corporations don’t regulate things; they compete. It’s the federal government that regulates, and your pals are seeking that. Your pals believe that government enforces fairness and equality and sameness, and that’s not at all what’s gonna happen; and the history of the spectrum is all the proof that you need.

(cont.)

(cont)

RUSH: The internet, up until two or three years ago when people started getting crazy about net neutrality, the internet is the one communications medium that was not regulated, and look at how it expanded, and look at how free it was. [Media] enters the internet and everything is free. They’re charging their subscribers the same thing, but on the internet it was free. Everything was. Everybody got on board. There wasn’t any regulation. There wasn’t any limitation. It was the wild west. It was the essence of customer and market freedom.

Do you know when cellular technology was invented?

Well, would you be surprised to learn that it was first invented in 1940?

It was suppressed by the government, in collusion with broadcast communities, broadcast companies, to keep it from coming to market until the nineties — well, the late eighties, actually. FM radio was invented and shelved for 30 years by a consortium of the government and AM broadcasters who did not want competition.

Net neutrality would equal the government making partnerships with various corporations based on the politics of the president and the administration at the time, and they would make deals to benefit the corporations. You do not want the government involved in this at all. If you want a free internet, if you want an internet that’s gonna be affordable at what rates you have the ability to pay, if you want different tiers. But if you want the internet to become your cable company, then support net neutrality.

rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/10/13/millennial-asks-for-net-neutrality-explanation/

rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/11/28/americas-anchorman-answers-your-questions-on-net-neutrality/

Give this a read, and remember that most of reddit actually trusts the government to do the right thing. They are fools, violently advocating for their worst nightmare.

It has everything but a source. Show me the legislation, and explain how it has anything to do with NN.

>Why source anything when the ramblings of insanity are just as good

Read it for yourself, and look up the act in question. Its all real. Im not going to spoon-feed it to you.

>Im not going to spoon-feed it to you.
wtf i hate net neutrality now

all regulation is bad wtf i love greedy kikes now

NN is communism, pure and Simple.

>It makes it seem like they'll screw us, but that's unfounded.
Your cable bill hasn't gone up in the past 5 years?
We gave the cable companies $billions to run wire out to the rural parts of America so everybody could get broadband. The ISPs screwed us over.

An analogy to surrendering the public's right to full and unfettered access to the internet would be to let McDonalds run the toll roads. Of course every toll booth would become a McD's drive through and you'd be forced to buy something.

And then there's the privacy concern Corporations just could not give a fuck when it come to selling your personal information, browsing history, login activity, port usage and location data to the blackmail sites.

networkworld.com/article/2185187/security/15-worst-internet-privacy-scandals-of-all-time.html

Companies also spent millions to save it, why do you think there was such a massive campaign for NN. It's because Google and co. went balls deep in "getting the word out" about the evils of removing NN.