youtube.com/watch?v=AJdyOO01HFo&t=0m45s
youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gundam maybe. Both are shit.

stars wars!! the animation

Evangelion, except it's actually good.

WEW.

k-on!

Not anime but Muv-luv trilogy, especially alternative.

Your Name

Gundam.

Evidence: youtube.com/watch?v=c3n3leaHBpw

LoGH

actual video: youtube.com/watch?v=AJdyOO01HFo&t=0m45s

There isn't one.

-most profitable franchise of all time
-world-wide success for all audiences
-helped pioneer modern special effects
-merged and innovated many genres
-shit-ton of spin-off/non-canon material
-divisive fans and later content

Only thing I could think of that was close enough was Pokemon, and technically the anime is a spin-off itself so it doesn't count.

Space Battleship Yamato

More importantly, what is the anime equivalent of this: youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

You forgot
>sold out to a multimedia giant that is now running the franchise on homages and forced diversity

digibro's Sword Art Online analysis.

Digi's Why The Asterisk War Sucks

My fucking god. This describes Rebuild 3.33 PERFECTLY.

in what sense?

space opera fantasy?
industry changer?
obnoxious fans?

This is the only proper answer.

My friends of color.

>forced diversity

Do people who aren't Sup Forumsacks actually complain about this?

Nah, it just is what it is. Sup Forumsacks are retards, as usual.

rebuild you can not redo is the most disappointing thing since my son
i mean how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire story of evangelion?

and while my son eventually killed everyone including himself in a giant apocalypse, the unfortunate thing about the rebuilds is that they will be around forever
they will never go away
they can (never) be undone

if you're someone who's under the age of like 20, and says his least favorite character in the series is rei, because she's the most "boringest one", then I suggest you shut this review off right now before I explain how much of a fucking idiot you are

This because of the cultural impact it had in Japan. In that way it's almost exactly like Star Wars.

It even has three incredibly shitty movie series made by the same director!

"Its so dense. Each image has has so many things going on."

both were amazing series that were created by total hacks who have been profiting off them ever since, barely creating anything else since then

I don't think 3 live action movies and the involvement in several great anime series is barely anything.
Anno is objectively not a hack, he just chose to make money which is understandable.

That one Asterisk Wars video series.

Gundam.
or Space Battleship Yamato.

Anno is a hack, remakes and crap. Especially compared to George Lucas, who practically redefined and revitalized the entire cinema industry with ILM.

>implying Anno had not a big role in the anime industry
Anno made a ton of worthwile IPs, Evangelion is just the biggest of them.

the sellouts with shit like "girlfriend of steel" (basically selling the characters out so that they could create a generic SOL that would sell well) and adding in Mari into rebuilds are unforgivable

>implying Anno had a big role in the anime industry
He's been stagnating it since forever, the only thing he's done is make money on the otaku retards over at evageeks and 2ch.

Gundam of course.

Yamato
Gundam is trash.

I don't get how you can like SBY but not Gundam.

I don't like Yamato that much, I just think Gundam and it's fanbase are garbage so I refuse to acknowledge it.

So has Lucas, difference being that Lucas poured all his resources into making cinema easier and better for everyone. He improved work conditions for an entire industry. If not for the atrocious attitude he had with the continuous edits to the originals, he'd be championed as a hero. Lucas even turned Star War's success into a major benefit for the health industry, as the technology he invested in and developed was applied in the health sector.

Anno got caught for tax fraud, and pays his animators pennies. He admits the pay is low, but doesn't give a shit.

You do realise that Gundam and Star Wars share their reputation as being influential pleb tier right?

>pleb tier
Plebs hate Gundam and mecha in general.

>Lucas
>hack

He lost his touch in the prequels, but the world he tried to build was great. And by that I mean The Clone Wars.
It's made by fans of the original trilogy who knew what Lucas was going for and the series is actually not half bad at all. It's all under Lucas' supervision though.

And how can you call Lucas a hack when he made THX and American Graffiti before making the original trilogy?

Also
>Anno
>hack
>made Shin Godzilla recently

I'm pretty sure there is some autistic anime reviewer on youtube doing long shitty analyzing who have large and cancerous fanbase.

>tfw my favourite Gundam character is Char and my favourite Star Wars character is Thrawn
And none of them survived.

>>made Shin Godzilla recently

That's literally a remake in a series that has been beat to death.

i.e. Anno's specialty

His remakes are garbage though.

cutie honey was alright

Is MSG: The Origins the prequel of Gundam?

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is the prequel to Gundam 0079.

Spic here, it bothers me when they change a characters race with no reason whatsoever just to appeal to a broader audience (human torch for example), it's kinda insulting for me, and the worst part is that people suck that shit up, another thing that i don't like is when they portray job distribution in a unnrealistic way (suddenly 80 % of scientist are black or hispanic) que se jodan con esas pendejadas, so yeah, diversity for the sake of diversity is annoying to some people who aren't Sup Forumsacks

I meant the prequel as the Prequel SW trilogy.

Gundam Origins is actually quite good, except for that retarded bit where someone in a suit of armour is chasing Char around and waving a sword.

man f91 is so fucking gorgeous
it's a shame about the pacing being a huge problem in some spots
most of it is bearable but it's way too fucking hard to tell how much time is passing between some scenes and where some scenes are taking place

What's your point?
It was an amazing movie. Great build ups and rewards. The music direction and total destruction and constant race of Godzilla evolving vs human efforts to catch up to it was exiting. It was a race against time, with easily digestible political commentary and sci-fi. The effects of Godzilla destroying teh city was great to watch.

No hack could have made a movie like that. And before you bitch about the Rebuild movies let me remind you that he still made the original Evangelion series and climaxed with End of Evangelion.
He was also responsible for Gunbuster, Kare Kano, and was a key animator in a handful of Macross series.

So get this stupid "hack" shit meme out of here just because Anno and Lucas "ruined" your childhood. Lucas had a good run and established a world that still holds an ongoing franchise. And Anno 's still got it in the industry. He even formed Studio Khara which is pretty much made from the remnants of Gainax.

Anno is a fucking monster.

>By the time they noticed... they were on Ep15 and were already scraping the bottom of the budget. (laugh) This is why they used a lot of mania [otaku] employees who didn't mind putting in free overtime. And then Anno and the rest of the Gainax management became terrified as they finally realized that the situation they feared most -- the question of whether they would be able to make all of the episodes through the end of the series in time -- was slowly but surely becoming a reality. Too late, you fools! (laugh)

>* In addition to its “fan-service” connotations, "service (saabisu)" in Japanese is often used to mean "free/freebie", as in the "free overtime" mentioned in the following paragraph. This is why the author says Gainax staff still cry when they hear the word. (Additional note: The author implies in other comments that he was one of the mania [otaku] employees who performed a lot of “service” work and were then unceremoniously dumped.)

Underrated Post

>No hack could have made a movie like that.
Any hack could. You praise destruction and mayhem, but that makes him no better than Michael Bay. Lucas is pretty fucking ace compared to Anno. I can respect what Lucas did, because he did a lot more with his franchise empire than Anno ever did.

>big shit happening everywhere
>different cultures fucking about
>one smaller, one larger group
>one dominant force
search your heart user, you know it to be true

Did you miss the part of the post where I also said that aside the destruction, the build up to the race against an evolving creature paired with the comical Japanese political commentary ?

Let me just ask, did you watch Gunbuster? It's an extremely detail oriented sci-fi mecha anime. Also inspired by Star Wars (the Exelion's design is too reminiscent of the Star Destroyers). The animation is stunning, the use of relative time to create drama for the characters aging in different rates was great and added a great touch to the climax of the show.

I don't understand how people can call Hideaki Anno a hack? The Rebuild's don't have the same charm as the original anime and is overall just an action movie. But how does that make him a hack when he's done so much for the anime industry with other works?

It's people like you who judge Lucas as if the prequel movies were the only films he ever did or Starwars project he oversaw.

DELET THIS

You're exaggerating. The political "commentary" isn't deeper than the width of your index finger. Taking potshots at bureocracy is incredibly lowbrow.

...and yes I watched Gunbuster. I liked it.

>I don't understand how people can call Hideaki Anno a hack?
It's simple - he directed and was part of some good projects, through the help of talented people. He'd be nowhere if not for Miyzakai taking him under his wing, or people busting their ass to help him at Gainax. He then abandoned them, and sold out his integrity redoing Evangelion in increasingly shallow and otaku-oriented ways. He does more remakes and adaptations than anything else.

This is what makes a hack. Whatever he was before, it no longer exists. Now he only exists to rewrite Evangelion in ways which pleases himself as an otaku - at least Lucas had a genuine story, Lucas only failed with the execution.

Anno may have used fanservice as a means to an end before, but his post-EVA anime has made fanservice the end.

>It's people like you who judge Lucas as if the prequel movies were the only films he ever did or Starwars project he oversaw.
Fairly sure my comment about Lucas disproves your strawman in our case.

Depends on what you mean by that.

>Fairly sure my comment about Lucas disproves your strawman in our case.
I meant to call you a hypocrite

You fucked up then. Enjoy some nuance for once:

Lucas did some messed up things, like actually ranting that he wanted the originals deleted from existence, so that only his edits would exist. But, Lucas made these edits with the massive progress he made with his studio. Call the edits poor if you want, I won't deny - but these edits, from the edited rock faces to the 3DCG ships were space age technology. Lucas is a special effects guy, to create these practical props was his life. To do it digitally was the natural next step, and he succeeded.

Fans didn't take it well when he put it in the series they loved, and who won't understand that? Even the prequels, as poorly written as they are, paved way for modern green screen use and showed that it was possible. Today there's hardly a single TV-series or movie that isn't filled with composite computer images that no one notices.

For his efforts and dedication to the industry, Lucas actually does deserve a pat on the back.

So what exactly has "The Master" Anno been pouring into into the well of Japanese animation over the past decade? Nothing but fanservice, otaku nonsense and long outdated 3DCG, with no innovation and low animator salaries despite owning one of the biggest franchises in all of Japan.

That's why Anno is a hack.

>You're exaggerating. The political "commentary" isn't deeper than the width of your index finger. Taking potshots at bureocracy is incredibly lowbrow.

Never implied it was deep. I said it was simple and it paired along well with the movie. Also it being "lowbrow" is just your opinion. Even if at times Shin Godzilla was self masturbatory by reusing that Evangelion track multiple times, it was a movie you can tell Anno enjoyed making. While the Rebuild movies can be seen as something a hack would do for the sake of cashing in on an older critically acclaimed franchise, Shin Godzilla was Anno trying something new. He is also a fan of Godzilla and other kaiju franchises such as Ultraman so the motivation for this was not a cash in, it was him trying to make his own vision of Godzilla. And you know what, it was a success.

>Whatever he was before, it no longer exists. Now he only exists to rewrite Evangelion in ways which pleases himself as an otaku - at least Lucas had a genuine story, Lucas only failed with the execution.

People kept circle jerking over the first two Rebuild movies even though they were almost identical to the first half of the show. The moment he tried something different with the franchise everyone went wild with their criticisms. As shitty as Rebuild 3.33 was, it was the most original thing that came out of the Rebuilds and like Lucas' episode 1 and 2 (I liked 3) had poor execution.

>That's why Anno is a hack.
What is a hack to you? A sellout or simply a person who cannot innovate the industry he works in despite having many great works?

>one dominant force
Star wars is all about the balance with the two side of the force.
>too many jedi and barely any sith
>Anakin kills jedi and die, fulfilling his destiny

At this point the only way Anno can preserve whatever remains of his legacy is to die before he finishes the next Eva movie.

I just want him to get the last Rebuild move done so he can focus on something outside Evangelion.

>Never implied it was deep.

Fine then. All of my points stick. It's a fanservice remake, one of many more I'm sure.

>People kept circle jerking over the first two Rebuild movies even though they were almost identical to the first half of the show. The moment he tried something different with the franchise everyone went wild with their criticisms.

That's not true, 1.11 and 2.22 had some fairly wild differences, and people got more excited the more differences there were. 2.22 was better received than 3.33.

>As shitty as Rebuild 3.33 was, it was the most original thing that came out of the Rebuilds and like Lucas' episode 1 and 2 (I liked 3) had poor execution.
Wrong on every account, that shows you just did not understand Rebuild, or Anno as a person. Personally, I had seen 3.33 before it was even out. I'd seen it in every otaku hive that discusses Evangelion and plunges itself into pointless waifu war.

There is nothing new or original with 3.33 because it's an existing insane otaku fantasy put to film. There is no story, there is no meaning nor are there any realistic or believable characters. It is utter tripe, after three movies and more than five years in the making.

The point? It's not enough to be different, it also needs to be good. Which 3.33 wasn't.

>What is a hack to you? A sellout or simply a person who cannot innovate the industry he works in despite having many great works?
Anno is both. A sellout who remakes.

>a success

"Your Name" is a success. Anno's overhyped pseudo-pedigree crap isn't.

Can you please stop being a retard ?

$326,970,128
vs
$70M something.
ka-fucking ching.

Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z

Even if people don't like the genre of anime, younger people still know some phrases from it and could point out Goku in the same way they could pick out a Jedi

kek

It's 100% Evangelion
A really great piece of entertainment that should have been one-and-done, but got so popular that it's legacy couldn't be left alone, and now we'll be drowning in R2D2 thermoses and Unit 01 bathroom mats until the day we die

Poorly disguised rec thread

except it fucking isn't?
you would have to be a total normie to not know what Gundam or Evangelion are.

"I may have gone too far in a few places."

underrated

people die everyday

delet this

evangelion 3.0+1.0 is the most disappointing thing since evangelion 3.33

well shit, i think it's hard to be disappointed any more when your expectations are so low they're right next to dinosaur bones

Gundam or Yamato

DELET THIS

literally what amuro does in 0079

Pokemon.
>Everyone knows a character or has watched an episode
>Merchandise empire
>Timeless, people still watch the anime and play the games no matter their age
>One of the most known game series and by extension anime series

sounds to me like 3.33 just made you so jaded it made you discredit Anno for everything he did in the original Eva

the lucas effect

I said he did good with EVA. He's still a hack today.

Where the fuck has there been forced diversity in the Star Wars movies? Everyone was sperging out over Fin in the last movie but he made absolute sense within the confines of the movie. He was a child abducted and reeducated into being a storm trooper.

Movie was still shit but there was none of that forced diversity whatsoever.

just look at the race/gender breakdown of the major protags + villains

it's not normally something i'd notice, but in tfa it isn't subtle

Let me try and remember.

Empire had all white dude main characters with the exception of Phantasm who was an undetermined ethnicity woman.

Rebellion had 2 or three white dude characters, 2 main white women characters and 1 black main character. On top of that, not once did I hear an utterance of "Kill Whitey".

It's literally the same bullshit as when people white about too many white dudes in at the Oscars. Judge the movies by their content, not their cast.

>Rebellion had 2 or three white dude characters
one was hispanic, one was han solo (who died)

>It's literally the same bullshit as when people white about too many white dudes in at the Oscars. Judge the movies by their content, not their cast.
it's not really a big deal and the movie was mediocre anyway, but it was a thing

on one hand F91 sucked due to the rushed pacing.
On the other hand Late UC is the best aesthetic in the gundam francise, and the movie is a fucking joy to watch

What is the Star Trek of anime?