Am I being detained Question

So why exactly do people do and say these things when confronted by cops? They cite laws and rules but if there was any weight to them they would be let off.

youtu.be/_quJmLiJcCQ?t=13m20s

Anybody know why they do these things? I am honestly curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OSkl38Qi-y4&index=27&list=PLJ5NIXWaQhYsi-dbhzynXpge8MKgZuZoq
youtube.com/watch?v=ok3Kh8726m8&index=28&list=PLJ5NIXWaQhYsi-dbhzynXpge8MKgZuZoq
spectator.co.uk/2013/11/how-we-invented-freedom/
aclu-wa.org/what-do-if-youre-stopped-police
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

People believe in magic words due to indoctrination as a child with "please/thankyou" and curse words. They honestly think they can talk their way out of inevitabilities.

If you are being officially detained they have to be nice to you or else they could lose their badge. Don't take s*** from them, demand what you're entitled to

What’s in that pic?

>if there was any weight to them they would be let off
But that's literally what judges are for.

Nothing that I know of. Just a larger version of the thumbnail. Think the image just got crunched with the compression. But yeah, those spooky png files confuse me.

While they are officially / legally detaining someone they are obligated to make him feel safe and comfortable. If they are rude or abrasive or make demands without saying please, you could walk away with millions of dollars in lawsuit money

So its just a just a crapshoot at the lottery? They antagonize the cop, and hope they either get shot, or beat up and live to sue and walk away with millions?

I always thought they citizens were just full of themselves and thinking they can get away with anything.

Lmao at 11 minutes

People eat 20 spiders while sleeping every day.
Sometimes, after a failed attempt of killing a spider during daytime, the spider might call for backup and more spiders will come to lay eggs on your throat effectively killing you.

Duct tape doesn't stop them from entering through your nose or ears so step 1 after not killing a spider is acceptance.

Yes. If you get them to actually say they are not detaining you then they can't arrest you for anything in the next 24 hours. Another police officer could, but that police officer can't stop you from doing anything or even report it without facing consequences back at the office

I wouldnt risk it, especially since more often than not when I get stopped I never get a ticket and the times I have I just accept it and move on. And usually got the ticket waived for doing something like proving I had insurance or something.

No need to chimp out on a cop and get some lead over a 100 dollar traffic ticket.

>So why exactly do people do and say these things when confronted by cops?

The people who do these sorts of things are typically spoilt brats with parents who wanted to be "fair" and "treat them as equals", but were really just weak.
A childhood of viewing their parents as annoying obstacles that would crumble if the child shouted them down with whatever juvenile logic popped into their head (e.g. "WELL YOU SMOKE TOO" or "I DOESN'T MATTER THAT I DID THAT, YOU SAID I COULD DO THIS') has left them with the impression that they have an intrinsic authority over others and that the way to get what they want out of life is to meet any interpersonal challenge with aggressive confrontation and stubborn refusal to yield or compromise.

The white version of this is "I am sovergien citizen, AM I BEING DETAINED RAPE RAPE ASSAULT, WHAT'S YOUR BADGE NUMBER" etc.
While the black version is something like "FUCK YOU POPO, YALL AINT SHIT, I AINT DUN NUFFIN, YALL CANT BE RUNNIN UP ON NIGGAS FOR STANDIN ON DE SIDEWALK". etc.

well you see, there are laws and if you are not being detained for the right reasons then you are free to go. In modern america the police have too much power and can basically do whatever they like so these laws dont mater any more.

>If you are being officially detained they have to be nice to you
They really don't.

This is false.
This is also false.

people should use their second amendment rights more often.

>durr why do these people know their rights and use them

bootlickers should be caged by the authority they adore so fervently so they can be together forever

Nice try officer O'Malley

Epic troll. I hope some libertard takes this advice and gets beat to a pulp. Top kek.

God you're a fucking weakling, we can all see that clearly

>am I being detained?
Any answer besides yes
>am I free to go
Any answer besides yes
>am I being detained?

If the answer is yes you are being detained choose between “what for?” and shutting your fucking mouth

Rainbow Six Siege meme

Nice try what? You're giving incorrect legal advice that will fuck someone up. The police are not required to be nice to you, nor are they barred from interacting with you outside of detaining you. It's called a mere encounter. If at first it's just a mere encounter, you ask "am I being detained" and they say no, you're free to leave. But if at some point later the officer sees something to give him either reasonable suspicion or probable cause, you can be detained by the same officer. There's no 24 hour grace period or something from the same officer, you fucking retard.

>between “what for?”
Officers are obligated to inform you.

Excuse me, aren't*.

shhh the only people that are here to fall for it are trumptards. let them get hurt.

Don't listen to this guy, officer Chuckles just hates feeling powerless. Learn your county's passphrase to force any officer to hand over their gun to you. It's called a citizen's right of acquisition and you can do it once every 12 hours. You're free to do whatever you want to with the guns although it's recommended that you return them to law enforcement

Can’t hurt to ask, and shutting your fucking mouth is highly recommended.

>trumptards
No, libtards will, because they just trust the state that much.

Found the leb.

Within a swift and timely manner the police must inform you why they are detaining you. Further that detention must be the shortest time possible or change to an arrest for a crime the police have probable cause to believe you committed or are going to commit.

trusting the state and worshiping authority is what right wingers do, thats why anarchism is far left and fascism is far right.

>Within a swift and timely manner the police must inform you why they are detaining you.
They quite literally don't have to say a word to you.

First guy is British, so it’s not like he has rights. Second guy is an asshole

>Am I being detained
Without effecting arrest, police have a legal right to detain you if they have reasonable suspicion to believe that a crime has/or is being committed. If you are not under arrest and are seeking to leave, then the way to guarantee leaving is to ask if you're being detained. If not, then you're free to leave and do NOT have to talk to the police any longer. If you are being detained, then the police believe a crime is/has being committed and you must stay.

It's a way to break contact. Don't listen to the other faggots in this thread.

t. Law Enforcement

>First guy is British, so it’s not like he has rights
We invented rights you faggot

we fled your country because of the oppression of the church which is why we then formed a christian nation to oppress ourselves.

If they can not articulate reasonable suspicion of a crime it sets the stage for civil cases against the police force later. If a police officer can't fake up reasonable suspicion they are clearly too stupid to avoid making you a civil suit millionaire.

Also the big reason why people ask 'Am I being detained?" and "May I leave?" is because unless you express that desire to leave your stopping is considered to be a voluntary interaction.

Go ahead and tweet something mean about Muslims right now, with your real name attached.

I’m actually really shocked they broke that dudes window in the final clip. Generally a refusal to disclose badge number means you are scotfree

>If they can not articulate reasonable suspicion
Yes, but they do not have to articulate it to you at that time.

You really think we have a big enough and efficient enough court system and enough police to arrest everyone who says something mean on twitter and in real life?

I got you user youtube.com/watch?v=OSkl38Qi-y4&index=27&list=PLJ5NIXWaQhYsi-dbhzynXpge8MKgZuZoq

youtube.com/watch?v=ok3Kh8726m8&index=28&list=PLJ5NIXWaQhYsi-dbhzynXpge8MKgZuZoq

No, you did not.

In a timely manner is the standard, which may not be on command but the police would need a good reason (generally to protect life or stop serious injury) to keep that information to themselves or risk rendering that stop to be an unlawful stop and potentially face civil and criminal charges.

Op is retarded.
Invoking your birth rights makes you retarded am' i rite?

yes they do, the law requires them to... but the police have too much power in america and only rarely get what they deserve.

Yes we did
spectator.co.uk/2013/11/how-we-invented-freedom/

>If you are being officially detained they have to be nice to you
What in the world led you to believe this?

>we

Don't pretend like any trace of liberalism remains in Britain. If Locke were to publish his work in the U.K. today, he'd be arrested for fascist hate crime by a hoard of screeching leftists.

>If Locke were to publish his work in the U.K. today, he'd be arrested for fascist hate crime by a hoard of screeching leftists.
No he wouldnt

dont pretend like you believe anything you just wrote.

Might be an Anglo meme. When confronted by cops here people shut the fuck up unless they are asked questions by them

A lot of cops will unofficially detain you, or you’re supposed to assume you are being detained without them saying you are. If they aren’t detaining you, you can just leave.

This isn’t true. They don’t need to tell you the nature of their suspicions. They will have to be able articulate it in terms of things they were aware of before the detention, but only in a later legal challenge.

COPS ARE NOT LAW ENFORCEMENT THEY ARE JUST THE MESSENGERS LAWYERS AND JUDGES DECIDE GUILT IT'S WHY COPS SCREW UP ALL THE TIME AND GUILTY PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH STUFF ALSO COPS HAVE RULES TO FOLLOW AND IF YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHTS ARE BEING VIOLATED THEN YOU CAN MAKE MONEY THIS AIN'T RUSSIA

This guy is on point

Cops are literally the enforcers of the law, whereas lawyers and judges are arbiters and authors

Do not talk to police.

>hello user, how's your night going
Good, Officer!
>did you just come from the basedman's pub up the road
Yes, I did.
>while you were there did you see a fight happening or anything
Yeah, I saw it.
>where were you standing that you saw it?
I was standing at the bar.

If the police decide to charge you with assault in relation to the fight they no longer have to prove
>that you were at the pub
>that you were at the pub at the time of the fihgt
>that you were actually near enough to the fight to participate in it
They don't have to prove this because you have admitted it.

Nobody ever talked their way out of a criminal charge. People do however talk their way out of criminal convictions - but only when they shut their mouth and give their lawyers room to work by not making admissions.

Don't talk to police.

DON'T TALK TO POLICE.

>hell user, how's your night going
Good, Officer!
>did you just come from the basedman's pub up the road
Sorry Officer, I'd prefer not to answer any questions.

aclu-wa.org/what-do-if-youre-stopped-police

THEY HAVE TO TELL YOU WHY THERE ARE RULES

>THEY HAVE TO

lol american cops don't have to do shit. they can murder you and get a paid vacation for it.

ALSO TRUE, LEAF

have fun with ur shit leaf taxes

and for some reason right wingers think blue lives matter more than them. they worship police dick.

but muh blue line! gotta have that militarized """""""police force""""""" to protect you from violent niggers and third world savages. just give up your guns and trust the (((police))), goy.

Fuck, man. Everyone interested needs to review Terry v. Ohio. You can agree or disagree with the ruling but that is the current precedence that is being held.

You may not believe me, but actions like this have actually been beneficial to society. Police are more cautious when they think about violating a persons constitutionally protected rights. There is nothing wrong with that.

INAPPROPRIATE TITLE OF VIDEO.

>Police are more cautious when they think about violating a persons constitutionally protected rights

is that why they shoot to kill? no witnesses?

HONHONHONHONHONHONHONHON

>WE

Nobody swallows spiders in their sleep.

Also they undercover cops have to tell you if they're a cop, you fucking idiot.

>Trumptards
You mean the cops?

fpbp.

These fucks are thinking that they can use essentially a warding spell, while others try to lay hexes on you.

You see this all the time with subgroups that target a particular stereotyped boogieman. Like Sup Forums and (((jews))) and SJWs and "FUCKING WHITE MALES" and Skeptics labeling a person "Alt-Right."

They use a thought terminating cliche to label a person and the point is that once labeled, that person is completely untouchable or unapproachable. It's the same magical thinking.

9:00

WHAT ABOUT THE ROADS???

DRIVING IS A RIGHT NOT A PRIVILEGE!!!!

thanks for the roads guys!!!!!

Because if they say yes, they have to charge you with something, if they say no you can tell them to fuck off and drive away.

It's basicly telling them to put up or shut up. Its an ultimatum.

>if they have reasonable suspicion to believe that a crime has/or is being committed

It's reasonable suspicion a crime may have been committed.
The may part is huge and why officers have so much legal protection. The reason people rattle off am I being detained is legally in the USA there is a different set of rules for people detained vs arrested vs free to go. The problem is people who tend to scream am I being detained over and over don't understand the police can detain you for pretty much anything. It just takes reasonable suspicion, this is of course a rather low bar vs probable cause. There is also issues of officer safety that is another reason to detain.
Yet they can't use reasonable suspicion as grounds to claim probable cause later. That's why every lawyer tell people to shut the fuck up. Be polite, give your name etc but don't spill your guts out of no where. Being a whole lot of people hand the cop probable cause by running their mouth.

This is also where the stop and frisk laws get a little sketchy but most of these videos of tards screaming am I being detained are not true stop and frisks.
oh and being someone else mentioned, undercover officers do NOT need to tell you they are undercover. I have no idea why people think they do. It's just this idea pitched in stoner films.

>no pet turtle
So close

isn't it also a matter of public and private property?

most of these were probably on the interstate or a highway, whereas they could probably get away with more shit talking in a parking lot. Parking lots are private property, cops aren't even obligated to look at traffic accidents that happen in them.

Funny thing is a cop arresting someone is usually like anyone else having to do a job. They don't want to do it, they will let people off for minor shit if they don't act like an ass. You can see the cops in these videos know they can do this shit to people but most of the time they are restraining themselves because they know it's going to be a pain in the ass. The people basically beg to be arrested though. They can arrest anybody at any time really, you fuck up bad when you make it worth their while.

If that was true why dont they drive away then?

And every time you greasy little turds fear for your lives, you scream for the police like the helpless cunts you are.

Asking an officer if you are being detained is necessary should you want to determine whether your Constitutional rights are being respected.

This user gets it, don’t go fucking around with a cop and do some basic reading on criminal law and procedure.

people don't understand what the purpose of police is and how they work.

a very common occurrence with sovereign citizens is that they have a large criminal history and no job history. They do drugs and live on gov subsidies and camp out in areas where they shouldn't be.

Most are mentally ill or just have a super low resilience.

all these fucking morans in this thread

the question is asked to determine if you are free to go, if you are not detained then the conversation is VOLUNTARY and you can LEAVE

now obviously, if you actually did something wrong it's pointless to ask, but in that case why aren't you already arrested?

once you have determined that you are under detention you should then find out what the probable cause for the detention is

>then the conversation is VOLUNTARY and you can LEAVE

Are you saying you can just walk away from a cop mid sentence? my gut feeling is that that is a bad idea.

I imagine there was a time when cops were fine with people milking the "am i being detained?" question, then these jackasses started showing off with youtube and now they get pissed whenever it comes up.

The secret to a good police force is to fund them well, don't vote for laws that force them to enforce bullshit, and teach kids to respect them. Make them fat and happy and all will be well. Unfortunately the same assholes that want more laws and more government actually want cops to leave them alone. Its very contradictory, but they tend to be contradictory people.

ftfy

he didnt have to roll his window down though

Literally the white version of "FUQ DUH PO-LEEC I DINDU NUFFIN"

>t. nigger

>Are you saying you can just walk away from a cop mid sentence?
you can walk away if not detained, which is why you need to find out if you are detained or free to go

>then these jackasses started showing off with youtube and now they get pissed whenever it comes up
true, many dickheads think this is some kind of get out of jail free shit, this doesn't change the fact that you are free to go if not detained or arrested, and if detained or arrested they must have clearly articulable probable cause, or exigent circumstances

also, cops in general used to be much more honorable, many still are, but the modern cops have a good chunk of arrogane angry retards, probably on purpose, possibly due to having to deal with niggers etc

you are also under no obligation to answer anyones questions. what is the first thing they tell you if you are arrested? does that right only apply if arrested? or is it a natural right?

oops, forgot to check your auspicious digits

CHEKKKED

>Are you saying you can just walk away from a cop mid sentence? my gut feeling is that that is a bad idea.
I would not do this either, it's impolite, but once you determine that you are free to go, you should definitely go, and if detained, why

Asking if you are being detained forces them to show their hand; either they already have reasonable suspicion that you committed a crime and are going to cite/arrest you and are digging for more evidence or additional charges they can add, or they are keeping you engaged long enough to fuck up and provide the reasonable suspicion they need so that they can search/cite/arrest you for something and extract revenue/steal your property. Blatantly asking if you are being cited or are under arrest stops the circle jerk that is a police encounter that can only get worse the longer you stay engaged with them. If you are not being detained you need to walk away ASAP so they can fuck with someone else. They are fishing for an arrest/attaboy.