I've been thinking about this a lot recently

I've been thinking about this a lot recently.
Why does a big part of anime just seem so... dumb? I can rarely relate to the characters, they're clueless and the story is predictable and safe. Of course there are exceptions, but I feel like that medium isn't very challenging nor groundbreaking? Can anyone relate to this specific feeling?

Same is true for books, movies and other shit. Sturgeon's law.

There is literally no medium that is on the whole challenging or groundbreaking.

You're not the target demographic, most anime is made for teenagers around 14.

you've watched enough of the medium to understand its tropes and general tendencies. it's pretty much inevitable that you'd get tired of it all. Now you wait for the one or two shows every season that tries somethong new and interesting.

Either these are cheap cop-outs or you're retarded

I understand, and maybe it's a matter of cultural differences. But this medium in general seems stale and so unbearably safe with characters being nothing more than cute boys and dolls in outfits. They rarely appear human to me, even just a bit. Maybe that's a marketing thing as well.

because you're a clueless western 20something watching shows for teenage japanese boys

>copouts
What copout? He's right, but he's also a retard for thinking this is exceptional or surprising.

You're watching too much seasonal anime, honestly.

I agree, too much bullshit. But there are anime/manga out there that are try artistically to reach for more. We could ask each other for artistically challenging anime/manga but recommendations are banned so you are SOL.

>medium in general seems stale and so unbearably safe
Its weird, since its so low budget media compared to shit produced in hollywood there should be a lot more variance, experimentation and risk taking in the anime industry.
But its japan with its hopeless conversatism and "lets sell 2k bds gusy!" business model

>since its so low budget media compared to shit produced in hollywood there should be a lot more variance
The reason it's low budget is precisely because that's all the market can support, nigger.

Yeah sure, teenagers are going to watch anime at 1am and buy those expensive BDs, right.

You have no idea how obsessed Otaku teenagers are.
Also, do you think "Shonen" is a genre?It's literally the target demographic of the show.

Whether the budget is big or small, Anime is a business and few want to to take unnecessary risks which may lose money.

This isnt exclusive to anime at all, its present in every media, creators mostly prefer to not take risks and stick to what they know will sell even if people forget about it immediately afterwards

Its just one of the side effects of capitalism

Watch any other medium and you'll say literally the same thing, anime is good as it is.

>most things are bad except the ones that are good
Very insightful.

it's about the general tone of the medium compared to western movies/shows? it just feels different, it's hard to pinpoint it for me.

Because Japanese culture is different? I would say that's a good thing, nobody wants to see the same shit you see in movie every day but in anime.

Japanese media has really distorted standards since in west you try to make a show that maybe tens of millions of people would watch and its monetized in a several tiers.
In japan its ok if a few thousand obsessive fans like your stuff enough to buy a bd and rest is made trough merch or pachinkos.

most western movies and shows suck too, you just see more people saying they are good so you are more inclined to think they are

If you go back to 80s OVAs you can see the influence of cult Western films. Everything is influenced to some degree by when and where it's made. I wouldn't argue that the biggest difference is the culture so much as the format itself though, since modern Western films and shows try to appeal to as many people as possible.

That is actually a good thing though. Catering to specific niches means that there is a ton of variety to choose from, much more so than entertainment in the west.

take a break for like a year and see what new shit the seasonals can rake up.

Have you read western comics? The vast majority are terrible compared to manga. Modern capeshit is so forced and filled with pandering to nostalgia, movie watchers or tumblr. It's the same with anime and western cartoons

When you are more acknowledged in one medium its easier to tell apart the turd from the gold, its also easier to think that mediums you dont consume as much are faring better because you are looking at then in a tunnel vision which only shows the good stuff

You know grass is always greener and stuff

this so much, manga and anime may have its annoying tropes and archetypes but capeshit is literally the same characters doing the same shit over and over so readers can read it and say "ha I get that one!", it doesnt stops

you're just a pleb

Target audience mismatch.

Watch different stuff.

Because it's made for children. Don't tell me you didn't understand that.

Watch well known masterpieces or some oneshot arthouse if you want "deep".

Most anime is made for entertainment and monetary profit. Artistry is risky in a small market with comparatively many competitors, hence there is little exploration and development. You're much likelier to find good manga than you are to find good anime. Besides, reading manga is far more comfy anyway.

Its good in theory.
However how anime is made its not good.
The way committees decide everything smothers creativity.
The one exception is kyoani and they make the most cookie cutter lowest common denominator moe anime out there, so I guess its hopeless.

Perhaps you should expand your horizons get some taste instead? Sounds like to me you are watching moeshit and shounen.

I'll have to agree with you. Manga has a much lower bar to production when pretty much anyone with ink, paper, and the money to print a doujinshi can get into the business. Plus there is a wider audience than your typical late night anime watcher. This allows a lot more creative freedom and because of that a much broader amount of originality and different subject matters.

agreed, it also feels like creative freedom can be an important factor. This might be hit or miss, but I prefer seeing one person's vision instead of comitee approved mediocrity.

It is more likely to have good auteurs when almost everyone in the medium is an auteur like mangaka.

This.

I feel bad that I've realized almost every single anime trope, enough to recognize each of them every time I watch something new.

Pretty fun how after around 7-8 years of watching anime, I end up loving the tropes I hated back in 2010.

Some people just don't get tired of it, I guess I'm the target audience for it.

>Why does a big part of anime just seem so... dumb?
¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

The Japanese are ayys masquerading as humans. Anime is just how they think the rest of the world works.

It took me around 8 months to do this. I still watch anime though.

LWA is perfect for you, you'll get all you western pandering shit in one show.

>t. westernfag

Most anime is like mainstream movies. Dumb, predictable, and there to make money. You kinda have to dig to get to the good stuff. Same as with most mediums, really.