Have you ever managed to successfully introduce anybody you know to anime and actually gotten them into it?

Have you ever managed to successfully introduce anybody you know to anime and actually gotten them into it?

I'm starting to think it's impossible to become a fan unless you either started out with it as a child or had a weeb phase as a teenager.

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/a/search/text/>normie/start/2017-01-01/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I introduced my dad to Berserk. He likes it more than I do now. I'm talking a 55-year-old man cackling wildly whenever hai yo plays, not caring about the shitty quality of the series. I envy him.

I introduced my dad to Girls und Panzer and he's like 60 years old. he has never liked anime before but he said it was really good

I have successfully introduced people to anime by evading the core of anime and telling them in very clear terms that they were not anime fans and would not like anything that I didn't handpick for them.

I was only half-successful once introducing it to a friend. He watched and enjoyed FMA, NGE, Lain, and a couple others, but clearly got tired of the medium and tired of reading subtitles then went back to The Wire, Breaking Bad, Fargo and all that.

Anime becomes more mainstream by the day, I doubt it would be too hard these days.

I mean a lot of famous people have enjoyed anime so getting some average dude wouldn't be impossible.

A few people. The important thing is knowing their tastes and the limits of weird Japanese shit that they can tolerate, though being able to pitch something to them in an appealing way is also vital.

For my normie-ish college friends:
>Started them off with Studio Ghibli's stuff on a movie night, which they were already familiar with a few examples of
>Next was Paprika and Perfect Blue, which I piqued their interest in by talking about the western directors who have cited them as an influence
>Went onto Ghost in the Shell and Innocence next since they're into sci-fi and I knew they'd appreciate them, especially since two are major Matrix fans
>Then came the 'fun and dumb' stuff like Redline and more approachable drama like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
>At this point I got two of them to watch a series with me and went for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure since its got a good mix of action/melodrama/comedy that makes it accessible
>After this I directed them to a few entry-level shows I knew each would like individually, such as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, etc.

Its been like three years now and they've branched out and watched a few films/shows on their own even though they're not really into the medium particularly deeply. We went to see Your Name together as a group recently and everyone had a blast at it as just one example of something more recent.

Meanwhile my girlfried who is an animation student turned to me for advice on it in particular and we've watched a shitload of sakuga and generally more experimental stuff together like Mind Game, Belladonna of Sadness, Metropolis, Mob Psycho 100, Panty & Stocking, Memories etc.

>normie
Hello crossboarder.

>girlfriend
You don't belong here.

I've been on Sup Forums for nine years now and its been my home board for nearly the entire time.

A crossboarder is not somebody who uses another board.
A crossboarder is somebody who brings the memes and diction from another board to Sup Forums.

But normie has already become part of the common parlance on here. You may have had a point a few years ago but its been a long time since normie wasn't just another part of Sup Forums's standard lingo.

>the limits of weird Japanese shit that they can tolerate

This.
Gotta just hand-wave it away with "oh you know wacky Japan ecks dee".

I watch strawberry panic with my older sister.

>desuarchive.org/a/search/text/>normie/start/2017-01-01/
Over a thousand results. Sure, there's false positives with people just using normie as the first word in a longer greentext line, but even if you divide the number by 2, it's still a pretty big number of people resisting the word.
You are not wanted here.

I could only ever get my friend to watch the more "normal" stuff, i.e. SnK, Jojo, TTGL. Then one day he came over and admitted he watched the entirety of Upotte! I think he makes regular visits to /k/.

user, those results mean fuck all because the archive doesn't bother to check for > in the posts it brings up. There's no way to accurately search for ">normie" in particular without just counting every individual instance of it across thousands of posts the search engine spits out at you just because they contain "normie"

Like, really, I could just as easily post pic related without any further supplementary filtering for context as proof that normie has been subsumed as a standard part of board culture that's 66% as popular as normalfag despite being nearly a decade newer and it's just as valid a piece of evidence as what you posted.

>Have you ever managed to successfully introduce anybody you know to anime and actually gotten them into it?
You can't succeed at something if you don't try.

>Like, really, I could just as easily post pic related without any further supplementary filtering for context as proof
The problem is that half of those 10k are complaints about the word, while normalfag does not raise these complaints. Thus it's obvious even from your numbers that one of those is accepted and commonplace, while the other is used mostly by newcomers or people who don't care about adapting to Sup Forums.

I mean, yeah, but like Ghibli stuff. But that's already pretty mainstream, I suppose.
Also Akira.

This. Its pointless.

I'm so fucking sick of seeing these arguments.

Sup Forums is part of the EU, not a rural prefecture in Japan

>The problem is that half of those 10k are complaints about the word,
You have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back up this statement.

Not for the precise number. But it's a significant portion and you know it.

This guy has a point, nearly every use of the word normie is followed by a complaint about the use of the word, so it might just be near 50%.

Once again
>You have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back up this statement

So now you are just shitposting?
If you actually lurked Sup Forums then you'd have seen it.

I went and watched Kimi no Na Wa with some friends and told some colleagues to go watch it, some of they did and they apparently fucking loved it so I guess that was a success to some extent. They haven't really tried anything else since then though.

I had a roommate who I accidentally got into anime, I think the first seasonal anime I got him to enjoy was Kill la Kill, but eventually we got into things like Darker than Black, Kaiji, Milky Holmes, Gosick, Girls und Panzer, GiTS, etc.

He's still about half normalfag, but he's beginning to develop tastes of his own and branch off into things I haven't seen myself.
I still haven't gotten him to watch Kaiba, Ping Pong, or Kino no Tabi, but I think he'll get to a point where art styles and more episodic anime don't bother him as much as they do now.
I think he's even coming to like some loli characters, moe and I even saw KissxSis on his backlog a while back before I ended up commenting on it.

My little sister. Today she is more into anime than me. I destroyed her life.

Anecdotal evidence ain't worth shit my dude. I'm not denying that it happens, I'm denying your absurd and literally baseless claims about the amount of it.

>normie
Fuck off normalfag.

I don't even understand the complaints around the usage of the newer term normie, it has the same meaning, the only reason you hate it is because you associate it's use with other parties.
Their use of the term doesn't stop it from meaning what it means and still having equal use as a term while being more convenient to type.

>I'm denying your absurd and literally baseless claims about the amount of it.
>significant amount
>absurd
You are using words in stupid ways.
>literally baseless
Just go through the first 5 pages of the search results. You'll see plenty of complaints. This image is cherry-picked. But you'll find plenty of such clusters.

This desu. Literally the only reason people are against it is some weird kneejerk reaction to the idea of it being used started (primarily) by another board.

I mean fuck, where was this elitism and condescension towards outside influence when we actually fucking needed it back five years ago? If people hadn't gone weirdly soft from 09-12 and actually fought to preserve board culture when the mods abandoned us Sup Forums may not have turned out as fucking shit as it is now. At this point getting picky about shit like normie is just retarded.

>Their use of the term doesn't stop it from meaning what it means
It literally does.

>it has the same meaning,
Not entirely.
Normalfags are often (not always) defined as people who bring their real life and norms to Sup Forums, while normies are often (not always) defined as people who don't use Sup Forums or who don't share your experiences.
If the meanings were actually different then there would be reason for normie to actually exist as a word.
But it's really just the /r9k/ term, and Sup Forums opposes it because it tries to remain pure of foreign influences.

>desu
I'm not sure if using those ironic twitter handles supports your point.

I tried to get my friend into anime a few years ago. We made a deal that if I watched one of her favorite shows, she'd watch one of mine.

I picked Clannad for her, and the plan was to make her cry watching After Story. She actually finished the first season, but I could barely even last 10 episodes of Merlin, the show she picked for me. The 40 minute episodes were hell.

While the terms have slightly different contexts, and in some cases have a different nuance in meaning the terms are both used so contextually for "the majority of people who are not like myself" that I feel that hinging on their supposed definitions matters less than how they are perceived and used regularly.
The terms are already used almost interchangeably, and to talk about trying to remain pure of foreign influences at this point is absurd.

You saw earlier in this very thread people defending MAL's taste in anime and citing their scores as accurate assessments of how good an anime is. You think the difference in these two terms matters so much when so few even recognize them as significantly different?

>The terms are already used almost interchangeably,
Yes, but if a stranger says people are different from him it means something else than when a fellow citizen does it. In the first case, he might mean you.
>You saw earlier in this very thread people defending MAL's taste
No, I didn't. You are the first one to bring up MAL. I just checked.

>The terms are already used almost interchangeably
An opinion not a fact.
>and to talk about trying to remain pure of foreign influences at this point is absurd.
Another opinion.
>You saw earlier in this very thread people defending MAL's taste in anime
Never happened.
>when so few even recognize them as significantly different?
Another opinion, the thing about anonymity is that a reduced group of people can make changes just by strong will.

>he doesn't know that desu senpai and other shit gets automatically filtered
well

>to talk about trying to remain pure of foreign influences at this point is absurd.
I disagree strongly.

I'm not sure you are responding to the right post.

Shit my bad, I was remembering the Akiba's Trip thread where someone was defending MAL.
While it's not this very thread, and that lessens the imapct, my example wasn't pulled from thin air.

Yeah? You just have to introduce the right ones that fit the person you're introducing to. Not just because it's your 3x3 or something. Sometimes that means introducing some low tier entry level shit.

Also, not overhyping shit and explaining what they're about to watch helps.

By the way, Stupid people with uneducated opinions is one reason why Sup Forums is so aggressively against outside terminology.
When you constantly get told off for the way you speak and thus forced to figure out how others post before expressing yourself, you automatically also see what they post. Lurking more is supposed to be an all-around education program.

The intelligent user knows that he must stay inside SoL threads.

I've talked to some friends about anime. Anime is really ubiquitous these days, and most anyone who considers themselves a film or TV buff has seen some anime movie and/or show.

The difference is that most people prefer live action and don't really give a shit about only watching anime. I have given up all 3D media, movies, TV shows, etc. I only watch anime if I'm going to watch anything on TV. Normies, for lack of a better term, will sit through a series once maybe every other year, but they prefer and usually watch live action stuff. And even when they do watch anime, it's super safe stuff that doesn't stray too far off the beaten track of regular old TV. They can watch Cowboy Bebop or other shows which are more realistic, but once you try to get them to watch goofier shit with tons of crazy animations and stereotypes from anime they get turned off (and angry, lots of people get angry that anime sometimes goes totally unrealistic, it's a very weird reaction).

Finally, the fan service found in plenty of anime even to these days turns people off. They just find it distasteful or gross, and that really stains (in my opinion for the best) the image of anime in the minds of normal people. So long as anime keeps up the panty shots, busty babes, and skin tight outfits, it will be safe from the masses.

No, but my friend got me into it when I was 23.

If someone came to me and asked for anime recommendations, I'd show them something godawful and tell them "This is what you're getting into".

I got my college roomate who is a big black guy with dreadlocks into anime by watching bleach.

It's been years but he still watches anime (it's all normie stuff)

I got into it at the tender age of 25. I knew a couple of "anime guys" in high school but I didn't want to have anything to do with it then.

I feel like there are a lot of people on Sup Forums who were disgusted by the weeaboos in high school.

I mean, they ate lunch right outside the bathroom door and never bathed. That's just gross.

I got my normie friend to watch NGE+EOE (dubbed since I couldn't convince him otherwise).

He really liked both of them.

>normie
Fuck off, normalfag.

Same here.

I didn't want to associate myself with anime when growing up, but I got into it about 4-5 years ago at the end of High School after a bunch of guys I knew asked me to give the medium a chance.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?
I've been hiding my powerlevel since I was 12.

You have to admit that anime doesn't exactly the project best image for itself, since garbage shows tend to be the ones that are most visible to outsiders.

No wonder so many people feel alienated if all they're seeing is the medium at it's worst.

Most of the anime I like would be way too boring for 12 year old me.

yeah fat kids doing the haruhi dance or wearing naruto headbands made me pass

There is a difference you have to keep in mind between what Sup Forums usually talks about because we're burnt out on the big stuff and what normalfags could easily embrace. I have no trouble getting somebody into Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist, something like Gurren Lagann or Evangelion is a bit of a harder pill to swallow but can be done, but there is no way you would try to get them into something like Maid Dragon or Akiba's Trip without it being a trainwreck.

>but there is no way you would try to get them into something like Maid Dragon or Akiba's Trip without it being a trainwreck.

>tfw I watch anime like this regularly and my 'friends' try 'showing' me Sword Art Online

>I'm starting to think it's impossible to become a fan unless you either started out with it as a child or had a weeb phase as a teenager.
I am 27 and started watching anime last year and have hardly watched anything else ever since. I mean, I watched Pokemon and Dragonball as a child but lets be real, basically every single kid did that since it was the cool thing to do at the time and those are closer to western cartoons anyway. Also started to learn Japanese a couple months ago, so it seems to be possible for people to gain an interest later in their lives. I feel like it has less to do with people generally disliking anime, and more to the with the person being able to enjoy a show that has subs instead of English non Japanese dubs. Anime need to be watched with OV, otherwise you lose too much of the charm and work that was put into them. Many people dont like that, though.