"moe"

Can we all agree that "moe" as a term is dead and we should stop using it? No one can give a definitive definition of it so we shouldn't use it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rGWp8fU3QAo
web.archive.org/web/20120117074832/http://www.tsurupeta.info/content/confusion-about-moe
heiseidemocracy.com/2005/12/07/the-moe-image/
japanesestudies.org.uk/articles/2009/Galbraith.html
web.archive.org/web/20120117074832/http://www.tsurupeta.info/content/confusion-about-moe
web.archive.org/web/20110723014240/http://matthew.animeblogger.net/2005/07/20/wednesday-notes-akamatsu-sensei-talks-moe/
web.archive.org/web/20070517214300/http://www.sky.sannet.ne.jp/ma1919/moetry.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>In The Moe Manifesto, Akihabara insider Patrick Galbraith defines moe as an affective response to fictional characters or representations of them. The applications of this definition are widespread to political, economic, and cultural discourses. For an example in practice, Matthew Brummer describes how Japan's Self Defense Force utilizes popular culture and the moe that it engenders to shape public perceptions of the military establishment: The Manga Military.

I think moe is good as a broad descriptive term. sure you can't tell exactly what someone is talking about, but you do get a general idea of the type of thing they are talking about.

yeah but nowadays when you see people say moe its used as a derogatory term to refer to cute girls doing cute things animes. It used to be something good.

Anything that creates a strong positive emotional response in the viewer/reader is moe. What is and is not moe is personal and unique to the individual viewer/reader.

This definition is correct and all others are incorrect.

>No one can give a definitive definition of it
Because there isn't one, it's subjective.

doesn't that add to OPs point that we should stop using it?

That still is good, and has the added benefit of informing you that anyone who uses it negatively is a fuckwit

exactly! so why use a word that means something different to every person?

that does help actually

most people who use the term are using it incorrectly. i am unmoved by your case to discontinue use of the term, however, because for the real underlying meaning of the word "moe", there is no other term.

No, it just means we should fucking use it correctly.
>I think Taiga Aisaka is moe
This is correct.
>Gabriel Dropout is an example of the moe genre
This is incorrect.
>the word "moeshit"
This should be an autoban.

doesn't that have the same relevancy in a discussion as like "I want to do X to character"?

the real example I mean

no, this is incorrect. moe is the feeling, not an aspect or quality of the character that induces it.

i think it is reasonable to refer to a particular work of media as "moe-oriented" (or similar terms) if it is clear that the characters in that work are likely to produce moe for a significant fraction of the audience.

if you oppose such works, then i think "moeshit" is a reasonable pejorative noun for such works, although this would also mean you are a foul piece of shit undeserving of the oxygen you breathe.

youtube.com/watch?v=rGWp8fU3QAo

Wrong.
A character who inspires the feeling of moe in a viewer/reader can be described by said viewer/reader as being moe.
Referring to an anime/manga or genre as moe is always incorrect.

it seems that in the long term, your misuse of the word will eventually win. however, for the present, you remain unambiguously wrong.

Anime characters frequently say "she's moe" or "that's moe." It is entirely appropriate to refer to a character as moe, but it must be understood that this is an opinion unique to the person saying it.

It doesn't matter if it has a definition or not. You can tell if something is moe and if something isn't.

t. digidrone

I don't deny that he made an interesting video discussing it, but you aren't obligated to parrot his opinions.

>Akihabara insider
What the fuck does this mean?

i am forced to concede that widespread misunderstanding of the meaning of the word "moe" is leading us inexorably toward overwriting it with your garbled misreading, however, it has still not occurred.

using fancier words than necesarry doesn't make your argument better user

you need only consult the introductory literature on the topic; it will confirm my position.

Why is the conversation still being had in 2017

lel "moe from simpsons"

so we agree that the meaning of words changes with usage, but when does it "occur" and who decides when it has?

the shift is completed when speakers and writers close to the topic area adopt the new usage. presently, as you get closer to moe-oriented culture, the usage of the word becomes uniformly that moe is a noun for the feeling, not an adjective for the character who produces it.

it mean's he's a retard

moe is play on moeru, which is to sprout or to burn, in which case it has a dual meaning :

a girl who is not a child but not yet a woman, a bud beginning to open. a character archetype
a kind of burning attraction more akin to fatherly love than romantic or erotic feelings in which you want to protect something delicate passionately

these things are generally linked together

moeshit is net slang for unantagonistic escapist comedies or sol shows with a female cast and not necessarily related to moe.

you are misleading (or misled) on the certainty of that etymology. the origin is unclear.

TL Note: moe means keikaku

ITT: Dumb moefags desperately try to defend their shit taste

No.

heiseidemocracy.com/2005/12/07/the-moe-image/
japanesestudies.org.uk/articles/2009/Galbraith.html
web.archive.org/web/20110723014240/http://matthew.animeblogger.net/2005/07/20/wednesday-notes-akamatsu-sensei-talks-moe/
web.archive.org/web/20070517214300/http://www.sky.sannet.ne.jp/ma1919/moetry.html

Educate yourself.

Holy fuck that autism

>doing things properly is autism
No. Not even the guy you're replying to. It seems like every goddamn time somebody wants to do things properly someone replies with autism.

holy fuck you have autism

He has the spookiest eyes of any weeb alive or dead
Digi 4 lyfe tho.

Damn OP got BTFO

I think you meant the dreamiest eyes.

To me "moe" is similar to "cute" but with a lack of sexual connotation. I'd want to fuck a cute girl but I'd only want to take care of a moe girl.

yes, that is because you don't know what the word means.

Don't care, other people understand what I mean when I use it and a word's value lies in how the majority understands it.

This chart is wrong. Read the links above You can describe genre with moe (as in moe-kei).

>No one can give a definitive definition

Moe is one of life's great mysteries

You are objectively and factually incorrect.

>3. Moe is a genre

>In principle, you could feel moe about any fictional character, irrespective of the work it appears in, but for the most part, characters prone to elicit moe are designed as such, in works that purposefully conform to moe aesthetics. Manga editors, for example, are keenly aware of what constitutes moe-kei manga and what doesn't. Publishers organize their magazine line-ups along such distinctions.

>For example, Tamagomago tells the amusing story of Tachibana Shiu, who presented her manga project to an editor of Manga Time Kirara (probably the most famous moe-kei 4-koma manga magazine, publishing such titles as Hidamari Sketch, Kanamemo and K-On). The editor took a five-second look at her drafts and immediately redirected her to Manga Home (another 4-koma magazine of Houbunsha which has a “family-oriented” perspective), where her manga is now serialized.

>muh links
You lost.

No. Because 'Taiga is cute' doesnt effectively convey how I feel about her. She is moe and I love her and the feeling she gives me in my soul.

the name for that feeling is "moe".

This video is literally why we shouldn't say moe anymore

please do not write "moé" if you are writing in english. there is a convention for expressly indicating that two adjacent vowels are separate syllables in written english, and it is the diaerisis, not the acute accent.

you can write "moë" if you want, but it is very pretentious.

is моє ok

𝔰𝔬𝔲𝔡𝔢𝔰𝔲𝔫𝔢

is this guy the Richard Stallman of anime?

I never understood why moe couldn't just be translated as "appealing" or "adorable".

Or if you want to go crazy, add a bit of intensity and use "to die for".

Adorable fits pretty well imo

Since I know there's also usage like "train moe", you could just have that mean "adoration of trains"

No and you'd be a retard to think otherwise.

is a true scholar.

Moe is a feeling when something is so cute you feel your heart jump and your chest get tight because you want nothing more than to protect that cuteness with all you have.

In other words Moe is Mio Akiyama.

You mean Tsumugi Kotobuki. It's a common mistake.