Do people ACTUALLY self-insert when watching anime?

do people ACTUALLY self-insert when watching anime?
i just watch it from an observer point of view.

First of all, self insert is a thing that only the writer does because he can actually write himself in. I don't know about weirdos out there who think they're actually in an anime and have a wife there. It's a little weird. Maybe they're mentally ill? Probably. I should have compassion instead of flame trolling them. Poor guys. Think they're being someone. But it's someone else.

I don't think you quite understand what self-inserting means.

We won't have to once Trump-sama finally delivers

Im an observer too but I like to root for some characters

I self inserted as shinji and lost my sense of identity. Now I am shinji.

I self-insert as a side character.

I do some 感情移入ing.

>trump

In the anime "One Room", the viewer is the protagonist.
It doesn't really work though. The girl looks at me and i say "i want to walk you to school", and she will answer "what? you came to say goodbye to me? that's so nice"

RARE
A
R
E

anime question girl. Saved.

>do people ACTUALLY self-insert

Oh yeah, I "self-insert" into your mom on a regular basis.

I self insert as the little girl. うわー!!

Writefag here.
I think you're misunderstanding the actual utility of self insert from the authors perspective, or else I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
It's true that some people write
themselves in as Mary Sue characters, but generally self insert is helpful because it helps you empathize with your other characters and their situations.
This may sound weird to say, and maybe it's just me, but I don't really write my own things personally. Sure I'm the one who's writing the ideas down but for the most part things write themselves and I go on autopilot. Self-insert (read: having the protagonist or another character with similar personality traits to me) helps to ground myself in the story and have more control over it.

To answer your question, some people do, some don't. I'm in the latter category unless I'm watching /ss/ h-anime.

Why do you think Harems are popular?

I do.

Thanks guys! That makes sense. I feel more grounded in the world of writing now.

OH SNAP.

Yeah. I mean, I try to identify with the main character. I try to see myself in there shoes. Then I can shitpost about how they keep making the wrong decisions.

I always self-insert as the loli. Always.

There's a difference between author insert and self insert. The former is designed as an avatar for the author, someone with whom the author identifies with, idealized. The latter is a blank slate with a few token traits so that the readers can use the character to project their own power fantasies.

Also, sympathizing with a character isn't the same as self inserting, either.

Self-inserting for readers does not require power fantasies.

>poltards still pushing this meme
>Trump has never even mentioned anime, probably doesn't know what it is, and would immediately condemn it upon discovering
>Obama is the only president to ever actually thank Japan for anime